• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:49
CEST 13:49
KST 20:49
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)65Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12357 users

Pookies TvZ Build "Mjolnir Pincer" - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
aw34r
Profile Joined March 2011
6 Posts
March 27 2011 00:31 GMT
#61
How does dropship micro keep lingcount low if they A)already have a mass amount of lings, or B) continue to keep building in the face of my drops? In the vVv rigid game, he came out and met your thor/rine/scv/medivac army in the middle and engaged. What if he was instead behind his sunkens at his natural? Do you still engage and if so, what would u target? Or would you proceed to back up and start producing blue flame helion to support?
Pookie Monster
Profile Joined October 2010
United States303 Posts
March 27 2011 00:47 GMT
#62
On March 27 2011 09:31 aw34r wrote:
How does dropship micro keep lingcount low if they A)already have a mass amount of lings, or B) continue to keep building in the face of my drops? In the vVv rigid game, he came out and met your thor/rine/scv/medivac army in the middle and engaged. What if he was instead behind his sunkens at his natural? Do you still engage and if so, what would u target? Or would you proceed to back up and start producing blue flame helion to support?


i dont really have time to do theory crafting, if u have a replay of this happening id like to see it, sunkens arent much of a problem when i do thor pushes against a zerg, if they had a crazy amount like 4 or 5 then no, i would just do whatever damage i can in his main, keep in mind that 5 sunkens is 5 drones hes down plus the cost of the sunkens which should be at least 300 minerals i dont know exactly im not a zerg player. no good zerg is gonna make that kind of a resource sacrifice on static defenses.
??
aw34r
Profile Joined March 2011
6 Posts
March 27 2011 01:11 GMT
#63
On March 27 2011 09:47 Pookie Monster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 27 2011 09:31 aw34r wrote:
How does dropship micro keep lingcount low if they A)already have a mass amount of lings, or B) continue to keep building in the face of my drops? In the vVv rigid game, he came out and met your thor/rine/scv/medivac army in the middle and engaged. What if he was instead behind his sunkens at his natural? Do you still engage and if so, what would u target? Or would you proceed to back up and start producing blue flame helion to support?


i dont really have time to do theory crafting, if u have a replay of this happening id like to see it, sunkens arent much of a problem when i do thor pushes against a zerg, if they had a crazy amount like 4 or 5 then no, i would just do whatever damage i can in his main, keep in mind that 5 sunkens is 5 drones hes down plus the cost of the sunkens which should be at least 300 minerals i dont know exactly im not a zerg player. no good zerg is gonna make that kind of a resource sacrifice on static defenses.


I'll see if I can find it. I think maybe this was a special case then. The fact that you say no good zerg would make that sacrifice is what I think caught me off guard and threw me off my game. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
Trakky
Profile Joined February 2011
95 Posts
March 27 2011 04:19 GMT
#64
If Zerg stays on sling/bling/muta, is it wise to just keep going thors+hellions (should I add banshees in too?) and not go tanks at all? Because I know that tanks work well in big numbers and if I'm already going heavy thor and hellion, I wouldn't have an enough sized of tanks to be effective. Love your replays/strats.
Trakky
Profile Joined February 2011
95 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-27 04:36:53
March 27 2011 04:22 GMT
#65
Also, why do you get a raven? Is it for detection or just only for auto turret. Also when you're on 2 base going to get a 3rd, what makes you decide if you want to add more port to 2 ports or make more factories and what indicates if you want to get more thors or more hellions? Early on, after the first medivac is out, what makes you decide if you want a 2nd medivac or a banshee instead?
Pookie Monster
Profile Joined October 2010
United States303 Posts
March 27 2011 08:45 GMT
#66
On March 27 2011 13:19 Trakky wrote:
If Zerg stays on sling/bling/muta, is it wise to just keep going thors+hellions (should I add banshees in too?) and not go tanks at all? Because I know that tanks work well in big numbers and if I'm already going heavy thor and hellion, I wouldn't have an enough sized of tanks to be effective. Love your replays/strats.


i generally stay on thor hellion until he switches to roaches, as the upgrades start to add up thor hellion starts to demolish ling muta bling. especially once u start adding ravens
??
Pookie Monster
Profile Joined October 2010
United States303 Posts
March 27 2011 08:46 GMT
#67
On March 27 2011 13:22 Trakky wrote:
Also, why do you get a raven? Is it for detection or just only for auto turret. Also when you're on 2 base going to get a 3rd, what makes you decide if you want to add more port to 2 ports or make more factories and what indicates if you want to get more thors or more hellions? Early on, after the first medivac is out, what makes you decide if you want a 2nd medivac or a banshee instead?


i just spend my money on whats available, sometimes it just works out in a game that i have a large gas stockpile and like day9 will tell you, you should always try to keep your money low, ravens are a great unit
??
Trakky
Profile Joined February 2011
95 Posts
March 27 2011 09:21 GMT
#68
So if Z sticks to sling bling muta, I shouldn't add banshees or tanks into the mix because thor hellion is really good against that unit comp. Also, raven's use is for auto turret right?
Antisocialmunky
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States5913 Posts
March 27 2011 13:01 GMT
#69
That's another pretty cool 'a little bit of everything' build
[゚n゚] SSSSssssssSSsss ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Marine/Raven Guide:http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=163605
Pookie Monster
Profile Joined October 2010
United States303 Posts
March 27 2011 18:53 GMT
#70
On March 27 2011 22:01 Antisocialmunky wrote:
That's another pretty cool 'a little bit of everything' build


yeah its one of those builds thats really fun when its done properly haha
??
Trakky
Profile Joined February 2011
95 Posts
March 28 2011 07:00 GMT
#71
I really like your replays. Do you suggest going pure mech after that opening or get 4 raxes up with stim and combat shield. When should I go pure mech and when should I start getting raxes? Thanks!
Pookie Monster
Profile Joined October 2010
United States303 Posts
March 28 2011 13:13 GMT
#72
On March 28 2011 16:00 Trakky wrote:
I really like your replays. Do you suggest going pure mech after that opening or get 4 raxes up with stim and combat shield. When should I go pure mech and when should I start getting raxes? Thanks!


its up to you really, in some games if i do alot of damage and hes going almost nothing but roaches i will get 4 rax marauders 2 fac thors and one starport banshees i think i did that in some replays.
??
Trakky
Profile Joined February 2011
95 Posts
March 28 2011 15:22 GMT
#73
What do you think I should transition to after seeing sling/bling/infestors. What I do is recognizing his lack of map control and get my 3rd and 4th really quickly and have an insane econ; however, I still don't know what unit comp to transition to midgame because thors get NP and hellions are useless after getting 1 good fungal while bioball just melts. Maybe mass thors + lots of banshees to snipe any infestors that are trying to NP? or just bioball but really heavy tanks? but then once they tech to BLs, it's gg for me because all my tanks become useless and infestors take care of everything else. Any air play is out of the question too. I seriously don't think ghosts is good though. 2700 masters here but don't know what to do, so after opening with this strat, what do you think is my best route?
Pookie Monster
Profile Joined October 2010
United States303 Posts
March 28 2011 16:36 GMT
#74
On March 29 2011 00:22 Trakky wrote:
What do you think I should transition to after seeing sling/bling/infestors. What I do is recognizing his lack of map control and get my 3rd and 4th really quickly and have an insane econ; however, I still don't know what unit comp to transition to midgame because thors get NP and hellions are useless after getting 1 good fungal while bioball just melts. Maybe mass thors + lots of banshees to snipe any infestors that are trying to NP? or just bioball but really heavy tanks? but then once they tech to BLs, it's gg for me because all my tanks become useless and infestors take care of everything else. Any air play is out of the question too. I seriously don't think ghosts is good though. 2700 masters here but don't know what to do, so after opening with this strat, what do you think is my best route?


you must have tanks if your opponent has NP infestors unless your up a base and have a ton of gas for banshees. really after the opening harass its really just standard TVZ from there on u have an expo a barracks a factory and a starport, this build is really only for people who have experience doing 1-1-1 builds and transitioning out of them.
??
Trakky
Profile Joined February 2011
95 Posts
March 29 2011 15:46 GMT
#75
I realize this is such a great 1/1/1 opening that can really transition into anything while pressuring a lot to zerg (because after the first attack, he might make a lot of lings, of which they could be drones, so then he kept making drones after that thinking no other attack could come and that he's already behind, to which the thor timing atk comes with scvs) and then of course a banshee which secures the expo from any banelingbust/counter attack and gain map control/scouting info. I also like to get a viking out after the banshee while my 2nd base is done to overlord hunt because I don't need a 2nd banshee and getting a 3rd medivac would be too early so the port would just sit idle anyway.
Pookie Monster
Profile Joined October 2010
United States303 Posts
March 29 2011 18:30 GMT
#76
On March 30 2011 00:46 Trakky wrote:
I realize this is such a great 1/1/1 opening that can really transition into anything while pressuring a lot to zerg (because after the first attack, he might make a lot of lings, of which they could be drones, so then he kept making drones after that thinking no other attack could come and that he's already behind, to which the thor timing atk comes with scvs) and then of course a banshee which secures the expo from any banelingbust/counter attack and gain map control/scouting info. I also like to get a viking out after the banshee while my 2nd base is done to overlord hunt because I don't need a 2nd banshee and getting a 3rd medivac would be too early so the port would just sit idle anyway.


yeah zergs like to send overlords to your future expansion spots and gum them up with creep, ive noticed if i kill the overlords they had near those spots in the beginning of the game they will forget to replace them. this saves me the headache of having to wait for the creep to disappear
??
DoctorClock
Profile Joined September 2010
United States131 Posts
March 29 2011 19:52 GMT
#77
Thank you for posting this build Pookie. I don't play a lot, but I'm 3-0 with it so far in Diamond. You are right, it is very micro intensive, but it can really throw off your opponent if they can't keep up with the multi-pronged attacks.

However, I feel really weak when I expo (landing OC at natural as Thor moves out) as I only have a Thor or two and a few Marines/Hellions to defend. In your replay, you only throw down 1 bunker at your expo. Do you just rely on constant pressure/harass to keep your expo safe?
Theovide
Profile Joined September 2010
Sweden914 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-29 19:59:35
March 29 2011 19:59 GMT
#78
I haven't checked through all the replays nor all the posts, but what do you guys think of the capabilities of a build like this on Taldarim Altar? Because that is the place where I personally struggel most with Zerg, not having won any game there yet against em (well I only think I've played 2 TvZ there, but I've not even felt I was close in any of those games, I just got crushed everytime I left my base :p).


Oh and also, Thanks pookie, build looks cool. Definitely gonna try it
Wolf
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Korea (South)3290 Posts
March 29 2011 20:05 GMT
#79
I don't remember the last time 4 pool was a build in SC2 ^ ㅅ ^;

In all seriousness, this seems like a nice build. I will be watching these replays.
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/proxywolf
TL+ Member
skypig
Profile Joined November 2009
United States237 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-29 20:10:30
March 29 2011 20:10 GMT
#80
Okay, Pookie, apparently your TvZ build is really good. However, I'm a Z player - how do I stop your build if I see it used against me (if you don't mind me asking)?
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Online Event
20:00
BamsPatch 1.0 Weekly #3
Liquipedia
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings113
CranKy Ducklings SOOP34
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko278
ProTech124
SHIN 116
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 26780
Hyuk 1318
Shuttle 1167
Bisu 1104
Mind 865
Larva 300
Mini 277
firebathero 259
Soma 185
EffOrt 182
[ Show more ]
Last 125
Leta 113
ZerO 93
Zeus 75
Hyun 69
Pusan 67
Hm[arnc] 55
Sexy 34
sorry 34
PianO 33
Killer 31
Trap 30
Bale 28
ToSsGirL 28
hero 27
Aegong 23
yabsab 13
Noble 11
JulyZerg 8
Sacsri 7
zelot 5
Dota 2
Dendi927
XcaliburYe613
XaKoH 433
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1485
Other Games
gofns37061
singsing2469
B2W.Neo902
crisheroes334
Happy243
DeMusliM185
OGKoka 180
Mew2King113
Livibee102
ArmadaUGS67
ToD14
ZerO(Twitch)4
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream208
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 56
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8351
League of Legends
• Jankos1738
Other Games
• WagamamaTV188
Upcoming Events
FEL
4h 11m
AI Arena Tournament
5h 11m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
7h 11m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
22h 11m
INu's Battles
1d
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 7h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 22h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 23h
[ Show More ]
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.