• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:25
CEST 22:25
KST 05:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)59Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games BW General Discussion Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8412 users

[D] TvP Thor/Banshee/Raven/Marine push - Page 8

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
DNB
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Finland995 Posts
May 01 2011 17:06 GMT
#141
On May 02 2011 00:41 joeppp wrote:
This is how I do it.

Remarks
- Continuous scv production until you hit ~30, only then should you cut some.
- Continuous marine production from all barracks.
- Raven first to get enough energy for an extra PDD.
- Banshee after Raven, then Thor, Thor, Banshee, Thor, Banshee.
- Your third Thor should be finished around 10:30.

Build order
- 10 SD, 12 Rax, 13 Gas, 15 OC, 16 SD, 18 Fact, 20 Gas (superstandard)
- 22 SD, 25 Starport, 26 Bunker, 27 Techlab@Factory, 30 Swap Factory & Starport, 30 SD, 35 Armory.
- 37 2xSD, 42 Techlab@Factory, 43 Rax, 56 Rax.
- From 53 onwards nonstop SD.

This buildorder is very tight, and you can absolutely not get supply blocked or you're screwed. I find it easier to execute to look at the specific orders for the constructing SCVs themselves:
- i: 10 SD, Rax, SD, Factory, Starport, SD, Armory, wait 20s, SD, SD, SD, ...
- ii: 22 SD, Bunker, Back to mining
- iii: 37 SD, Rax, Rax, Back to mining
- iv: 37 SD, Back to mining

Hope this helps;)



Yeah it definately helped, thanks!

By the way, the reason I don't like wall-offs because I have bad memories from protosses who go some sort of early void rays. I find that if I block my wall with bunkers, the voidrays cant really harass my ramp... But then again I don't know if 1 bunker without a wall is enough to hold some sort of committed pressure from the toss (4gate, 3gate robo et cetera).
Kukaracha
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
France1954 Posts
May 01 2011 17:54 GMT
#142
On May 02 2011 02:06 DNB wrote:
By the way, the reason I don't like wall-offs because I have bad memories from protosses who go some sort of early void rays. I find that if I block my wall with bunkers, the voidrays cant really harass my ramp... But then again I don't know if 1 bunker without a wall is enough to hold some sort of committed pressure from the toss (4gate, 3gate robo et cetera).


I don't think so, while doing a 1-1-1 build I'd personnally recommend 2 bunkers to be safe against any strong pressure.
FF can prevent repairs, and I don't know if you'd have a Thor early enough to stomp them (and even then, moving a Thor = lack of DPS).

But I think that the key to hold off any sort of early pressure is repairs. Having a control group of SCVs with autorepair on can win you the game. Hence the 2 bunkers to make sure everything can be repaired!

Once the pressure is over, you can salvage the bunkers and use the money to expand/get an extra rax. In the end, I don't think you can really go overboard with the bunkers if it's not high masters play...
Le long pour l'un pour l'autre est court (le mot-à-mot du mot "amour").
SxYSpAz
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1451 Posts
May 02 2011 01:42 GMT
#143
On May 02 2011 02:54 Kukaracha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2011 02:06 DNB wrote:
By the way, the reason I don't like wall-offs because I have bad memories from protosses who go some sort of early void rays. I find that if I block my wall with bunkers, the voidrays cant really harass my ramp... But then again I don't know if 1 bunker without a wall is enough to hold some sort of committed pressure from the toss (4gate, 3gate robo et cetera).


I don't think so, while doing a 1-1-1 build I'd personnally recommend 2 bunkers to be safe against any strong pressure.
FF can prevent repairs, and I don't know if you'd have a Thor early enough to stomp them (and even then, moving a Thor = lack of DPS).

But I think that the key to hold off any sort of early pressure is repairs. Having a control group of SCVs with autorepair on can win you the game. Hence the 2 bunkers to make sure everything can be repaired!

Once the pressure is over, you can salvage the bunkers and use the money to expand/get an extra rax. In the end, I don't think you can really go overboard with the bunkers if it's not high masters play...

thors crush ffs?
spybreak
Profile Joined October 2010
United States684 Posts
May 02 2011 01:45 GMT
#144
On May 02 2011 10:42 SxYSpAz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2011 02:54 Kukaracha wrote:
On May 02 2011 02:06 DNB wrote:
By the way, the reason I don't like wall-offs because I have bad memories from protosses who go some sort of early void rays. I find that if I block my wall with bunkers, the voidrays cant really harass my ramp... But then again I don't know if 1 bunker without a wall is enough to hold some sort of committed pressure from the toss (4gate, 3gate robo et cetera).


I don't think so, while doing a 1-1-1 build I'd personnally recommend 2 bunkers to be safe against any strong pressure.
FF can prevent repairs, and I don't know if you'd have a Thor early enough to stomp them (and even then, moving a Thor = lack of DPS).

But I think that the key to hold off any sort of early pressure is repairs. Having a control group of SCVs with autorepair on can win you the game. Hence the 2 bunkers to make sure everything can be repaired!

Once the pressure is over, you can salvage the bunkers and use the money to expand/get an extra rax. In the end, I don't think you can really go overboard with the bunkers if it's not high masters play...

thors crush ffs?


Yes all massive units do such as Ultras and soon to be massive Archons
Ryder.
Profile Joined January 2011
1117 Posts
May 02 2011 02:15 GMT
#145
Maybe I'm just a complete noob but how does 1 base collosus beat this? Sure you fry the marines, but how are you gonna deal with a handful of banshees and thors? Collo aren't that great against thors, and how will you deal with the banshees? You will barely have any gas for stalkers, and the PDD will just make things even harder for them...am
I missing something completely obvious?
SxYSpAz
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1451 Posts
May 02 2011 02:22 GMT
#146
On May 02 2011 11:15 Ryder. wrote:
Maybe I'm just a complete noob but how does 1 base collosus beat this? Sure you fry the marines, but how are you gonna deal with a handful of banshees and thors? Collo aren't that great against thors, and how will you deal with the banshees? You will barely have any gas for stalkers, and the PDD will just make things even harder for them...am
I missing something completely obvious?

holy shit is ur name really ryder? and no 1 base collo will get destroyed
jlai
Profile Joined February 2011
Hong Kong63 Posts
May 02 2011 07:40 GMT
#147
On May 02 2011 02:54 Kukaracha wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2011 02:06 DNB wrote:
By the way, the reason I don't like wall-offs because I have bad memories from protosses who go some sort of early void rays. I find that if I block my wall with bunkers, the voidrays cant really harass my ramp... But then again I don't know if 1 bunker without a wall is enough to hold some sort of committed pressure from the toss (4gate, 3gate robo et cetera).


I don't think so, while doing a 1-1-1 build I'd personnally recommend 2 bunkers to be safe against any strong pressure.
FF can prevent repairs, and I don't know if you'd have a Thor early enough to stomp them (and even then, moving a Thor = lack of DPS).

But I think that the key to hold off any sort of early pressure is repairs. Having a control group of SCVs with autorepair on can win you the game. Hence the 2 bunkers to make sure everything can be repaired!

Once the pressure is over, you can salvage the bunkers and use the money to expand/get an extra rax. In the end, I don't think you can really go overboard with the bunkers if it's not high masters play...

I have great success with this build in ladder. I think proxy void ray and early pressure would be the threat. I would highly recommend 2 bunkers instead of 1. There's a timing where you only have 1 rax producing marine and a raven. Thor/banshee isn't out. Need 2 bunkers to hold the pressure.
DNB
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Finland995 Posts
May 02 2011 14:28 GMT
#148
On May 02 2011 10:42 SxYSpAz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 02 2011 02:54 Kukaracha wrote:
On May 02 2011 02:06 DNB wrote:
By the way, the reason I don't like wall-offs because I have bad memories from protosses who go some sort of early void rays. I find that if I block my wall with bunkers, the voidrays cant really harass my ramp... But then again I don't know if 1 bunker without a wall is enough to hold some sort of committed pressure from the toss (4gate, 3gate robo et cetera).


I don't think so, while doing a 1-1-1 build I'd personnally recommend 2 bunkers to be safe against any strong pressure.
FF can prevent repairs, and I don't know if you'd have a Thor early enough to stomp them (and even then, moving a Thor = lack of DPS).

But I think that the key to hold off any sort of early pressure is repairs. Having a control group of SCVs with autorepair on can win you the game. Hence the 2 bunkers to make sure everything can be repaired!

Once the pressure is over, you can salvage the bunkers and use the money to expand/get an extra rax. In the end, I don't think you can really go overboard with the bunkers if it's not high masters play...

thors crush ffs?


But thors come a few minutes later after the usual 4gate timing
Powerkock84
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada24 Posts
May 02 2011 19:54 GMT
#149
If im expecting four gate pressure, or anythign fast or cheesy... of course it will knock some time off the build,, but I till always come out on top...

If i scout early star gate, ill throw down 2-3 barracks early. and get some marines.

4 gate, I always always pump out the thor as fast as I possibly can, it always holds it off.

High diamond player, been useing this strat for months, have ran into just bout every damn toss strat I can think of. I have only ever lost to cheese, (lack of scouting) in the early stages of learning the build. but since then I learned my mistakes and scout scout scout. So i know which way to do the build.

I have very high sucess with this as well against zerg, soemtimes i dont get the raven...I always fly out my flock of banshees out first, and ping off as many Bangs and lings as I can. Not as much success as protoss, about 80-85%.... Definatly gotta do a shit ton of macro to make this work. Its not like protoss where you can go flying in there with your death ball.... Gotta be smart with your scv placement, marines thors etc....

Also I never ever stop scv production, for 2 reasons, for some reason the push fails. I can get a expo up and saturate it faster, and I Always always always bring repair scvs with me,,, in both toss and zerg games. I dont need too, i think its a personal preference. Plus it helps your thors out a lot, and more meat shield.
Look Ma no hands
Powerkock84
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada24 Posts
May 02 2011 19:59 GMT
#150
Oh yeah forgot to add, I really really like going early banshee, and following it up with raven. going out with your first banshee, MAKE sure it stays alive at all costs, do a bit of scouting and some teasing in and out for a bit, just enough to make him either tech switch or waste mins on spores.. This 95% of the time makes him spend resources on all kinds of spores crawlers, and the best if they tech switch right into hydras (dumbest thing they could do i find....
Look Ma no hands
thesums
Profile Joined December 2010
Taiwan257 Posts
May 02 2011 20:57 GMT
#151
What level is this effective on? I am a player that likes 2 rax early marauder pressure into expand vs toss. And from what I am seeing in high Gold level (playing some plats atm), protoss is all about 4 gating, and to hold this off I need to deny early pylons and have 2 bunkers with scvs ready b4 the attack occurs. (btw, this 2 rax expand marauder heavy punishes 4gates so well LOL)

Somehow i feel this build cannot hold 4gate, and like 90 percent of protoss at this level does 4gate....ppl just want more points, they dont care about playing a fun game. (it seems that way for all races, zerg 1 base banes, terran 3 rax)
Powerkock84
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada24 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-02 22:42:17
May 02 2011 22:39 GMT
#152
I used this strat, from gold,,, all the way to 3600 diamond last season, and still useing it now,

does awesome with a 4 gate push, if u read the posts, it will tell u how to deal with it. and it deals with it very well....

most people just get 2 bunks, to hold it off...
some people will right into getting their 3 rax earlier
me myself, I try to get my thor out as fast as possible, with a few scvs out front for repair. Usually holds it off well. U clearly need to be scouting tho and have everything at your wall, scvs ready to rock and repair.


This strat will own gold league, if done properly. U shouldnt lose a single game if you do it right, and scout.
Look Ma no hands
sicarii
Profile Joined April 2011
United States93 Posts
May 02 2011 23:01 GMT
#153
I watched the first game and its pretty obvious if he would of had the immortals focus down the thors in the first battle he would have crushed you... he had like 6 immortals that shot at marines the entire battle while the 4 thors did massive damage to stalkers...just bad micro on his part.is the reason you won that game.
Powerkock84
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada24 Posts
May 03 2011 01:45 GMT
#154
a win is a win..... he got outplayed.
Look Ma no hands
thesums
Profile Joined December 2010
Taiwan257 Posts
May 03 2011 23:08 GMT
#155
i might have to give this a try in the near future, but for now it seems 2 rax expand really punishes 4gate, and this thor all-in is off one base though.....u cant transition out very well, and zealots immortal combo will beat this i believe.

i guess i am not brave enough with all-ins (unless i lost many scvs already)
thesums
Profile Joined December 2010
Taiwan257 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-03 23:15:37
May 03 2011 23:11 GMT
#156
and oh yea i believe a good 4gate with couple sentries own 1/1/1 build even with 2 bunkers and scvs ready. They just FF your rax and you are in trouble.

Edit: 4 gate comes fast though, i believe around 5 min in game time, and they just keep reinforcing
Powerkock84
Profile Joined April 2011
Canada24 Posts
May 04 2011 01:58 GMT
#157
BWAHAHah how mant times in this post has this exact same counter been posted like 1000132123123 times? do it i dare,,,, see what happens LAWL
Look Ma no hands
DNB
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Finland995 Posts
May 11 2011 16:39 GMT
#158
Again this build got decimated by a blind FE with chargelots and HTs.

I held off his cannon rush first and then proceeded to macro up normally. At the attack I didn't assume storms so I forgot to split my units. But even with splitting, would I still have lost that?

Replay uploading doesn't work at the moment on sc2replayed.com, but if anyone has ever gone against this build and won, how did you do it?
AmericanUmlaut
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Germany2597 Posts
May 11 2011 18:42 GMT
#159
This DNB fellow is a regular practice partner of mine and also a rat bastard who keeps kicking my ass with this build.

Before finding this thread, I had already worked out that a four-gate or proxy void rush would take it out, but I'm trying to work out a way to survive it using my standard PvT BO; gate, robo, gate, expand. This gets my obs into his base around the 7:00 mark, at which point it's pretty obvious what's going on (armory building, raven out, factory and starport both with tech labs but neither upgrading), and I have about four minutes to greet his army as it moves out, or 4:45 to meet it at my front door.

I've tried teching to blink and massing stalkers to snipe marines and banshees as the army crosses the map. I felt like this could actually work given sufficient micro, especially if you can force the PDDs out.

I've tried teching to HTs and getting four out to feedback the raven and banshees, this also seemed like it had potential.

I'm considering adding a starport at 7:00 and just pumping voids, but I'm concerned about the marine numbers.

I think this thread has arrived a consensus about which builds straight up counter this push, but since I don't want to blind counter this very specific push every game, I'm curious what better players would consider a good response to seeing this coming at the 7:00 mark with and expo, three warp gates and a robo out.
The frumious Bandersnatch
owenowens33
Profile Joined April 2010
United States94 Posts
May 19 2011 05:08 GMT
#160
On May 12 2011 03:42 AmericanUmlaut wrote:
This DNB fellow is a regular practice partner of mine and also a rat bastard who keeps kicking my ass with this build.

Before finding this thread, I had already worked out that a four-gate or proxy void rush would take it out, but I'm trying to work out a way to survive it using my standard PvT BO; gate, robo, gate, expand. This gets my obs into his base around the 7:00 mark, at which point it's pretty obvious what's going on (armory building, raven out, factory and starport both with tech labs but neither upgrading), and I have about four minutes to greet his army as it moves out, or 4:45 to meet it at my front door.

I've tried teching to blink and massing stalkers to snipe marines and banshees as the army crosses the map. I felt like this could actually work given sufficient micro, especially if you can force the PDDs out.

I've tried teching to HTs and getting four out to feedback the raven and banshees, this also seemed like it had potential.

I'm considering adding a starport at 7:00 and just pumping voids, but I'm concerned about the marine numbers.

I think this thread has arrived a consensus about which builds straight up counter this push, but since I don't want to blind counter this very specific push every game, I'm curious what better players would consider a good response to seeing this coming at the 7:00 mark with and expo, three warp gates and a robo out.


I wanted to bump this post, I understand that there are some hard counters to this build, such as a blind FE into charglot HT, but blind FE's are unstable. I would really like to find out how to hold off this push starting with a 1 gate robo and seeing the armory around the 7 minute mark.

Thanks
Success is never final; failure is rarely fatal.
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 35m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech169
UpATreeSC 159
JuggernautJason67
StarCraft: Brood War
White-Ra 202
Dewaltoss 114
Hyuk 71
Bale 17
Dota 2
Gorgc10054
League of Legends
Doublelift1021
Counter-Strike
fl0m1567
Fnx 758
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King92
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4465
Khaldor1016
crisheroes933
Liquid`Hasu604
Other Games
summit1g6890
FrodaN2340
shahzam393
KnowMe351
XBOCT279
C9.Mang0195
ArmadaUGS137
ZombieGrub28
Trikslyr24
CosmosSc2 23
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV273
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream48
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH361
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix8
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2128
Other Games
• imaqtpie868
• Shiphtur293
Upcoming Events
OSC
1h 35m
CranKy Ducklings
13h 35m
Online Event
14h 35m
FEL
19h 35m
AI Arena Tournament
20h 35m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 35m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
INu's Battles
1d 15h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.