• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:12
CEST 13:12
KST 20:12
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon107
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
All you football fans (soccer)! Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7948 users

Putting an end to the Zerg Opening Economy debate. - Page 6

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 21 Next All
MoreFaSho
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1427 Posts
November 29 2010 17:10 GMT
#101
On November 30 2010 01:59 Chill wrote:
I've very happy this thread exists. I've felt helpless not knowing the ideal Zerg FE build.

Chill, sarcasm is not allowed on the internets.
I always try to shield slam face, just to make sure it doesnt work
Xanbatou
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States805 Posts
November 29 2010 17:10 GMT
#102

Lomilar claimed this was a variation of the 7RR without the roaches... Unfortunately the longer mining time at ten drones has put it fairly low in the resources mined category relative to all the other builds. Also the overlords are clearly timed for pumping roaches instead of drones at half the supply.

I tried some minor adjustments to the build but haven't come up with anything substantial. Hopefully someone will produce something soon, because I really like the idea of an economical and still extremely flexible build. Once someone can raise the resources mined count higher, I think the added drone and perhaps overlord would make up the remaining difference.


First, I'm not sure why that build was copied twice. My bad.

Secondly, if that's true why is it runner-up? I was really hoping for that to be as good as the OP was making it sound, but if what you say is true, that is a damn shame.
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
November 29 2010 17:21 GMT
#103
On November 30 2010 01:59 Chill wrote:
I've very happy this thread exists. I've felt helpless not knowing the ideal Zerg FE build.


This thread is providing data to compare many builds to eachother in a meaningful way, and not only FE builds. I think this thread has put to rest many misconceptions and confusions being propagated in other threads where the only criteria being used was "first to 50 drones" or some such nonsense. Also, recognizing the potential power of an overpool build is a plus I think.
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
VWXYZ
Profile Joined August 2010
Denmark18 Posts
November 29 2010 17:29 GMT
#104
This is great :D Sometimes I want the most economic opening I possibly can. Some of my friends aren't all that great, and if I see them fast expand, I know I will be safe for at least 6 minutes. I might actually try to do one of these builds some day :b just as listed here. Just to see what happens in an actual game.
I joined because of the new look! (sort of)
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
November 29 2010 17:42 GMT
#105
On November 30 2010 02:10 Xanbatou wrote:
Show nested quote +

Lomilar claimed this was a variation of the 7RR without the roaches... Unfortunately the longer mining time at ten drones has put it fairly low in the resources mined category relative to all the other builds. Also the overlords are clearly timed for pumping roaches instead of drones at half the supply.

I tried some minor adjustments to the build but haven't come up with anything substantial. Hopefully someone will produce something soon, because I really like the idea of an economical and still extremely flexible build. Once someone can raise the resources mined count higher, I think the added drone and perhaps overlord would make up the remaining difference.


First, I'm not sure why that build was copied twice. My bad.

Secondly, if that's true why is it runner-up? I was really hoping for that to be as good as the OP was making it sound, but if what you say is true, that is a damn shame.


I placed this runner-up because it is the current leading build in both drone count and overlords, and I feel that some adjustments could be made to make it's resource count comparable to most other builds submitted, in the range of 4550 or so.
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
Lomilar
Profile Joined July 2010
United States130 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-29 21:36:50
November 29 2010 21:22 GMT
#106
I'm trying to determine why 'my' build (sarcasm) mineral count is not nearly as high, and here are my current thoughts:

The 10 overpool seems fine. I kinda wish I could spend one more larva, but at that point we are mineral-capped, not larva capped.

The queen goes down right after the pool pops at 15. That seems fine as well. We have 50 minerals by the time the next larva comes up.

The hatchery timing I wish could be a little earlier, but we risk having 3 larva sitting around. Maybe change OL at 17 and hatch at 18 to an hatchover at 17. This will get the hatch up faster, and we still have one supply to wait for the OL. We sit on 3 larva for a bit here. Overhatch seems better, with maybe a drone inbetween.

At that point, spending all the larva seems to be the priority, but since our hatch went down earlier we need our second queen. I think a 20 timing should remain okay. If we do the earlier hatch, the first queen doesn't quite have enough energy (assuming we are perfect) to spit on the second hatch when it pops up. The 20 timing remains accurate.

At that point, I am not sure of how to time the overlords and drone and spawn larva pops... so... going to try this. Similar, but slightly worse results. I maynarded more drones over, but ended with 290 minerals/42 drones.
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
November 29 2010 21:43 GMT
#107
I have taken the liberty of adding a build order from another thread which is being claimed as more economical than any hatch-first build, adjusted of course by removing the extractor and creep. The test results have been posted, and here is a direct link to the OP.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=172107&currentpage=8#142


On November 30 2010 01:51 Phrencys wrote:

http://tinyurl.com/35o22a5

9 Overlord
14 Spawning Pool
16 Hatchery (send @200 mineral) > +5 (10 sec)
15 Queen > Spawn Larvae[auto]
17 Overlord
18 Extractor > +3 (2 sec)
20 Overlord
20 Queen > Creep Tumor
32 Overlord
40 Overlord
48 Overlord
56 Overlord
7:00 Checkpoint


Edit: This said I have to agree with the OP's conclusion: I've yet to find a hatch first BO that can match the economy of the above BO. This is all theorycraft assuming no block though, an assertion that can very often go wrong in the real world.

"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
Dominator1370
Profile Joined November 2010
United States111 Posts
November 29 2010 22:28 GMT
#108
I find it strange that you are invoking the scientific method but haven't bothered to consider the repeatability of your results. There are, inevitably, a number of small timings that could have a slight impact on your results, but since the difference between a number of your "contenders" is a only couple percentage points, it may be worth it to re-run your experiments a few times. One data point is hardly conclusive.

I'm also confused about Overlord timings in the builds you have listed. Some are very specific about them, and others less so. Variation in Overlord timing could certainly create small variations in results. It could certainly be the case that one of your sub-optimal builds, with variation in undefined Overlord timing, could pull ahead.
Gnorme
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada5 Posts
November 29 2010 23:00 GMT
#109
9 Overlord
12 Pool
15 Overlord
18 Queen
21 Hatch
22 Overlord
30 Queen
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
November 29 2010 23:07 GMT
#110
On November 30 2010 07:28 Dominator1370 wrote:
I find it strange that you are invoking the scientific method but haven't bothered to consider the repeatability of your results. There are, inevitably, a number of small timings that could have a slight impact on your results, but since the difference between a number of your "contenders" is a only couple percentage points, it may be worth it to re-run your experiments a few times. One data point is hardly conclusive.

I'm also confused about Overlord timings in the builds you have listed. Some are very specific about them, and others less so. Variation in Overlord timing could certainly create small variations in results. It could certainly be the case that one of your sub-optimal builds, with variation in undefined Overlord timing, could pull ahead.


Your point about the overlord timing is absolutely correct. I have been asking for submissions that are very specific, but most have not been, and therefore I have to make assumptions that might be inefficient in the process of testing. If you think one of the builds previously tested could be refined, by all means submit your own. I can't really perfect every variation of every build order myself, which is why this needs to be a collaborative endeavor.

Regarding your other point: All of the builds have been tested at least twice with the leading result submitted. I myself have been testing the top two builds in order to limit error and also test variations.
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
November 29 2010 23:15 GMT
#111
I am pleased to announce after numerous tests and variations I have come up with an improved version of the Lomilar build. The exact order, with the results and a replay have been posted to the OP.

However, now I face a slight dilemma that I am seeking consensus on. Douillos' build is ahead in regards to total minerals mined, but Lomilar's build is ahead in regards to drone count. In order to decide the leading build, we must come up with a method of comparing the relative worth of drones to minerals.

I have been thinking of valuing a drone as it's original cost + the number of minerals it could mine within the 17 seconds it requires to produce a new one. However, this may be a flawed method. Please give me input regarding this issue so we can reach a conclusion.
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
pwadoc
Profile Joined August 2010
271 Posts
November 29 2010 23:29 GMT
#112
I think in terms of economic analysis we've got a pretty good set of build statistics. Both of the winning builds provide a key situational advantage. The 10 overpool build allows for a lot of early game flexibility. I've been having a lot of success with it just because I'm not locked into either an economy or aggression build. The flexibility alone make this build worth the ~300 mineral you lose vs. the 16 hatch. However, the extra minerals mined in the 16 hatch build is just about enough to drop a third hatch. If you're opponent early expands, you could use that money to take a third, but my impulse would be to build an in-base third and use the money and fast base saturation to prepare for a particularly nasty timing attack. If you can get away with a 16 hatch and fight off early pressure, 3 hatcheries off two bases can make for some really scary aggression in the early-midgame.
Fenam
Profile Joined November 2010
6 Posts
November 30 2010 00:37 GMT
#113
Just playing around with the sc2calc build order calculator I came up with 14 Hatch 15 Pool being the best (beating out both later hatch firsts and all the pool firsts I tried. The calculator has a few flaws, like splitting drones evenly between hatcheries but not accounting for the travel time from where they're produced to when they go to the second hatchery. I think it still gives a strong outline though.

It turns out overlord timing can be pretty important, and can have a sizable impact on the end result. That's something that will have to be fine tuned with these builds. I played around with it and I feel like I have it set pretty good.

Another thing I liked about this build is that queens are synced up almost perfectly (3 seconds apart)

You should try testing this one in game and see how it works out.

9 Overlord
14 Hatchery (send @200 mineral) > +2 (10 sec)
15 Spawning Pool
17 Overlord
19 Queen > Spawn Larvae[auto]
21 Queen > Spawn Larvae[auto]
26 Overlord
30 Overlord
42 Overlord
52 Overlord
60 Overlord
6:00 Checkpoint
7:00 Checkpoint

http://tinyurl.com/37jhkhw
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
November 30 2010 00:44 GMT
#114
On November 30 2010 09:37 Fenam wrote:
Just playing around with the sc2calc build order calculator I came up with 14 Hatch 15 Pool being the best (beating out both later hatch firsts and all the pool firsts I tried. The calculator has a few flaws, like splitting drones evenly between hatcheries but not accounting for the travel time from where they're produced to when they go to the second hatchery. I think it still gives a strong outline though.

It turns out overlord timing can be pretty important, and can have a sizable impact on the end result. That's something that will have to be fine tuned with these builds. I played around with it and I feel like I have it set pretty good.

Another thing I liked about this build is that queens are synced up almost perfectly (3 seconds apart)

You should try testing this one in game and see how it works out.

Show nested quote +
9 Overlord
14 Hatchery (send @200 mineral) > +2 (10 sec)
15 Spawning Pool
17 Overlord
19 Queen > Spawn Larvae[auto]
21 Queen > Spawn Larvae[auto]
26 Overlord
30 Overlord
42 Overlord
52 Overlord
60 Overlord
6:00 Checkpoint
7:00 Checkpoint

http://tinyurl.com/37jhkhw


Ok thanks... I've been meaning to test one of these builds recommended by these optimizers/calculators/testers...

One other question I have though: Do these programs value each drone equally in regard to mining, or do they adjust for the diminishing marginal value relative to the increasing marginal saturation of a base? This seems like a very complicated calculation and I suspect none of them take this into account. This difference though has been the difference between resources mined on many of the builds I have tested that are pool-first.
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
Fenam
Profile Joined November 2010
6 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-30 00:55:28
November 30 2010 00:53 GMT
#115
I think they have slightly different mineral calculations, but they do account for diminishing returns when you put 3 drones on a mineral patch. I'm not sure how the other apps work, but this one values each drone at .7 minerals per second and the third as .3 minerals per second on each patch. It spreads the drones out evenly across each base to maximize the income.
FrostedMiniWeet
Profile Joined July 2009
United States636 Posts
November 30 2010 01:00 GMT
#116
On November 30 2010 09:44 jdseemoreglass wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 30 2010 09:37 Fenam wrote:
Just playing around with the sc2calc build order calculator I came up with 14 Hatch 15 Pool being the best (beating out both later hatch firsts and all the pool firsts I tried. The calculator has a few flaws, like splitting drones evenly between hatcheries but not accounting for the travel time from where they're produced to when they go to the second hatchery. I think it still gives a strong outline though.

It turns out overlord timing can be pretty important, and can have a sizable impact on the end result. That's something that will have to be fine tuned with these builds. I played around with it and I feel like I have it set pretty good.

Another thing I liked about this build is that queens are synced up almost perfectly (3 seconds apart)

You should try testing this one in game and see how it works out.

9 Overlord
14 Hatchery (send @200 mineral) > +2 (10 sec)
15 Spawning Pool
17 Overlord
19 Queen > Spawn Larvae[auto]
21 Queen > Spawn Larvae[auto]
26 Overlord
30 Overlord
42 Overlord
52 Overlord
60 Overlord
6:00 Checkpoint
7:00 Checkpoint

http://tinyurl.com/37jhkhw


Ok thanks... I've been meaning to test one of these builds recommended by these optimizers/calculators/testers...

One other question I have though: Do these programs value each drone equally in regard to mining, or do they adjust for the diminishing marginal value relative to the increasing marginal saturation of a base? This seems like a very complicated calculation and I suspect none of them take this into account. This difference though has been the difference between resources mined on many of the builds I have tested that are pool-first.


Yes they do account for it, at least EvolutionChamber does. 2 drones per patch is optimal (nearly), after that, there are diminishing returns, and you're better off having your drones at another base.
BnK
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States538 Posts
November 30 2010 01:08 GMT
#117
two ov's in a row for Lomilar's build?
B34ST
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom150 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-30 01:36:59
November 30 2010 01:35 GMT
#118
My attempts at a 10 pool 18 hatch in a ladder game.

My feelings during the game is that, its good.. I love it, I had so much money.. I just felt like I could continuosly produce units.. I like it.. it feels smooth.

[image loading]
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-30 01:49:21
November 30 2010 01:45 GMT
#119
On November 30 2010 10:08 BnK wrote:
two ov's in a row for Lomilar's build?



Yes... If you notice, the first overlord is built at 17/18 supply. There is a window of opportunity while supply capped to build a second overlord with exactly 1 larva and 100 minerals. The supply from this additional overlord gets used up quickly, since the simultaneous creation of 4 drones + a queen uses 6 supply instantly. Without the addition of this second overlord you would find yourself quickly supply capped again.
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
FrostedMiniWeet
Profile Joined July 2009
United States636 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-11-30 01:51:30
November 30 2010 01:49 GMT
#120
I think it should be noted that the pool first builds generally provide more larvae, while hatch first builds provide more minerals mined. Knowing this, it seems logical that if you are doing ling based play (high larvae) then a pool first build would be optimal as larvae is the limiting factor in this strategy, while a roach based strategy may benefit more from fewer larvae and more minerals mined, thus making hatch first play more optimal.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 21 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Afreeca Starleague
10:00
Ro8 Match 4
Leta vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 14720
StarCastTV_EN368
Liquipedia
Sparkling Tuna Cup
10:00
Weekly #148 (SHIN Mod Edition)
ByuN vs PercivalLIVE!
TBD vs Krystianer
CranKy Ducklings105
CranKy Ducklings SOOP18
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko191
OGKoka 51
ProTech41
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 10194
Jaedong 5478
EffOrt 2638
BeSt 1085
actioN 845
Killer 666
Soma 602
ZerO 471
Horang2 455
Pusan 448
[ Show more ]
Zeus 237
Stork 216
Rush 173
JYJ 146
Barracks 116
Mong 58
ToSsGirL 55
HiyA 42
Terrorterran 34
Sexy 30
Bale 29
Sharp 26
Shinee 23
sorry 19
NaDa 18
Sea.KH 14
JulyZerg 10
Sacsri 9
Noble 8
Dota 2
Gorgc4723
XaKoH 448
Dendi100
League of Legends
Reynor51
Counter-Strike
kRYSTAL_1
Heroes of the Storm
WinterStarcraft2326
crisheroes2026
Other Games
gofns57288
singsing1432
olofmeister1311
byalli577
Livibee207
Pyrionflax153
ArmadaUGS45
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick491
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream335
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 217
Other Games
BasetradeTV131
StarCraft 2
WardiTV75
[ Show 9 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1697
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 48m
Kung Fu Cup
23h 48m
The PondCast
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.