• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 01:03
CEST 07:03
KST 14:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202612Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8936 users

Zerg FPVODs + discussion - Page 8

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
Artosis *
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States2140 Posts
September 29 2010 08:52 GMT
#141
On September 29 2010 16:43 ProperOne wrote:
Against the protoss army in game 3 of batch 3 on DQ do you think there is any other way to engage that could have been better?
What is the general strategy you try to follow while engaging a colossi/ gateway army mid-late game?


Q1. On the Delta Quadrant game, I was actually trying to bust him with Hydra, but was then forced into Roach. It wasn't strong strategical play from me, so I lost. Just kinda testing some various stuff.

Q2. Gotta spread stuff out. Also have to engage them 3-4 fake times before the real battle if possible, to use up FFs.
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/Artosis
Artosis *
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States2140 Posts
September 29 2010 08:53 GMT
#142
On September 29 2010 16:44 Ftrunkz wrote:
Yo art, what do you use to record as you play? I'm thinking of doing a similar thing for protoss =]


FRAPS 3.2.2
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/Artosis
Artosis *
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States2140 Posts
September 29 2010 08:57 GMT
#143
On September 29 2010 16:55 Everhate wrote:
In regards to a couple of the unit-specific upgrades:

I've noticed you often delay hydra range, is there a particular trigger for when this is important (possibly extent of creep spread and area you're defending) or done more by feel?

Also, seems you rarely get the energy upgrade for infestors early. I'm curious about weighing the gas cost to get them energy faster for faster fungals vs getting additional units produced (since, with practice, you can get your first few infestors 'ready' to fungal more quickly by timing them to hit right as the upgrade finishes rather than building them and waiting for the energy to charge).

Edit: Additional random thought: is there a place for baneling speed in ZvZ or do you consider banes (mostly) exclusive to the early game and ineffective later?


Q1. The Hydra range upgrade I base upon when I think there will be an engagement. If its soon, I don't get it so that I can have more hydras. If I have time, I get it.

Q2. If I'm planning on going Infestors, I will always get the energy upgrade before the Infestors. 9 times out of 10 when I go infestors i will do that.

Q3. Yes, absolutely. If you actually decide to go Ling/Bane/Muta vs a ground based army, you need bane speed. Also, I've used it when I overextend with ling/bane vs someone going mutalisk, as a last resort allin. Its surprisingly effective in that way.
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/Artosis
Artosis *
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States2140 Posts
September 29 2010 08:58 GMT
#144
On September 29 2010 17:41 RedHelix wrote:
Hi, Artosis, I loved your first strategic commentary video, and that video actually helped me out a ton when i was starting out, cant wait for more of those , i was wondering about a game from batch 3 against chief on delta quadrant PvZ, you chose to expand to the far away 8 oclock expansion instead of your backdoor expansion, is this because pylon warp ins in the back of the base are so problematic? or did you just hope to keep it hidden from him?


My original plan was to bust him before a 3rd base. When that didn't work, I was still constantly pressuring, so I didn't have time to go back and kill the rocks. Thus, I expanded to another main. That game was more me testing stuff, and shouldn't really be followed strategically.
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/Artosis
Vei
Profile Joined March 2010
United States2845 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-29 09:40:34
September 29 2010 09:37 GMT
#145
Wowow sir, this was my first time seeing such great Zerg micro ^^ watching you survive this 4gate just barely and then pull back very well..awesome.

e-- oh man, if you do strategic commentaries that would be sick. I do love FPVod just to watch micro and speed/accuracy though, so I can see what to shoot for =]]]
www.justin.tv/veisc2 ~ 720p + commentary
mathemagician1986
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany549 Posts
September 29 2010 09:57 GMT
#146
thx artosis! great help for us zergies

I have more a general question: do you really think it's worth it to switch to roaches really late? I mean, in all games v P you have started off with a FE, took 2 gas, got lair and then went ling/hydra. Once you see colossi you then add roaches, but I feel that roaches don'T really work well vs colossi, because their range is simply to small.

Do you think sticking to T1 units is good in this situation, or do you think it's better to go spire tech or hive& ultras?
phfantunes
Profile Joined April 2010
Brazil170 Posts
September 29 2010 10:02 GMT
#147
I have a question, not regarding the VODs, hope that's ok. Since you're casting the GSL and have a much better understanding of the game, I was hoping if you could share some insight on whatthefuck makes Cool such a great player. Each of his game is just better than the previous one, he's crushing people with ease and no matter what you throw at him, he deflects it and is still ages ahead.

Why is this? He has regular APM, ranging the 100, he labels himself lazy and even left oGs due to the training routine, and he also says his micro is poor. Why is he so much more successful than everyone, even people who probably practice twice as hard? Is there some fundamental game mechanic or Zerg element I'm missing and should focus on? Do you label his skills as gamesense, macro, decision making, wtf do you call that!?

I hope some of this post made sense, I'm shaky because of several Zerggasms.
Protosser
Profile Joined December 2008
Finland12 Posts
September 29 2010 12:44 GMT
#148
Hi Artosis

I'm having some trouble in ZvZ when my opponent does hatch before his pool and defends with spine crawlers. The thing is that if I try to go and kill him, he just makes some more defence and wins. Also if I try to go for economy then his ahead because of his fast hatch. If I do fast mutas I will lose because he just makes few spores. I really don't know what I should do.
What you do when you see fast hatch?
Rylune
Profile Joined July 2010
14 Posts
September 29 2010 13:16 GMT
#149
Thanks a ton for the videos Artosis. I prefer watching vods in full screen and could not help but wonder something. Do you have any way to upload at a higher resolution? 720 or 1080p? Makes everything a lot easier to follow along in full screen. I'm sure you've been asked before and it's just an issue of not wanting to wait for such high resolution videos to render and upload. But just in case, I'm sure someone here would be able to hook you up with software or ideas for the higher resolutions.

Either way, thanks for the first person vods!
Obsolescence
Profile Joined August 2010
United States270 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-29 17:15:59
September 29 2010 16:09 GMT
#150
Thanks so much Artosis! I love hearing your commentary in the GSL!

I've been watching the FPVODs and they are very helpful. I'm new to RTS games (I played SCBW but not competitively), and I never realized how helpful watching from first-person was.

Best of luck to you in Korea, and I hope we see you in GSL 2 =)
It doesn't think. It doesn't feel. It doesn't laugh or cry. All it does from dusk till dawn is make the soldiers die. -Phyrexian Hulk
MoreFaSho
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1427 Posts
September 29 2010 16:48 GMT
#151
This is really almost stupidly technical, but in many of my openings in ZvT, after zergling speed I pull 2 guys off of gas, this does help me with my timings because when I get 100 gas this way, it's normally a good time for lair for fast banshees, but is this approach just lazy? Should I in theory be pulling all guys off and then putting 3 on such that I get 100 gas at the same time for lair? Theoretically this would be better as I will get minerals which I can invest to grow my economy whereas gas can't be invested like this, the loss is pretty small, but is this something that changes at the upper, upper, levels?
I always try to shield slam face, just to make sure it doesnt work
Tyrran
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
France777 Posts
September 29 2010 17:09 GMT
#152
On September 29 2010 15:35 Artosis wrote:
UPDATE!!:
Due to popular demand, tomorrow I will be releasing some strategic commentary VODs instead of FPVODs. I'll still do some FPVOD stuff though, and feel out what people like better to learn from. Also, I will release a replay pack when I get some time to play a bunch of games.

Batch 3 also up!


Artosis, I love you !
Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain.
number1gog
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1081 Posts
September 29 2010 17:37 GMT
#153
Great series, I learn so much just watching. I particularly like using the spawn creep ability to jump creep tumors down cliffs.

In the first batch you showed off a tech switch to mutas to punish a colossus heavy army, but in the last batch you stuck with hydra roach and got melted by a similar composition. Why the change? Was that your "trying new things" game?
5sz6sz7sz1a2a3a4a kwanrollllllled
ZaaaaaM
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands1828 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-29 18:10:51
September 29 2010 18:10 GMT
#154
Looking forward to the commentary vods!

I tlooks like you use 4 for main hatch 5 for expo hatch, could you explain why you do this as most people advice the all hatch = 4 and then single queens for 5 and up. Maybe I shouldn't even be worrying about those things at my level (900 diamond;p) but i'd love to know what hotkey setup you'd advice me to use.
no dude, the question
Piy
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Scotland3152 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-29 18:16:43
September 29 2010 18:16 GMT
#155
Nice videos.

Zerg is hard yo.

Are you doing FPVOD commentaries or commentaries on replays?
My. Copy. Is. Here.
Zevah
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Argentina187 Posts
September 29 2010 18:46 GMT
#156
Awsome vids Artosis!!! thx!
Eazypeezy
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada54 Posts
September 29 2010 22:50 GMT
#157
Thanks again Artosis, Its generosity like this that makes me super happy to be zerg . Just a few quick questions

Q1: Vs Protoss do you Have a specific timing for your lair and therefore transition into hydra ? or do you go by feel in game.

Q2: I like sling/hydra to fend off 4 gates as well. However, if you notice your Protoss going Heavy zeal/sentry will you make a tech switch to roaches?

Q3: in you 2nd game of Batch 3 on Blistering sands you make an awsome comeback vs the Toss 4gate. The protoss seemed really late on getting his expo and you almost seemed to recover easily. Was this a blunder by the protoss player or just a display of ur sick talent ? lol

Last question: This goes along with Q3, What was your thought process for making the switch to Spire tech instead of roach play?
fucken eh
MuppetMan
Profile Joined September 2010
United States26 Posts
September 29 2010 22:56 GMT
#158
Quick question-

When do you put your guys back on gas?
when would you put you guys back on gas to use for banelings? how long should i go without gas if i know they are going MMM? i always feel like if im not using gas that my zerglings will ultra fail alone.
Stats: http://sc2sig.com/s/us/1058429-1.png
Thor-axe the Impaler
Profile Joined April 2010
United States331 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-09-30 01:06:42
September 30 2010 00:02 GMT
#159
On September 29 2010 12:55 Artosis wrote:
and banelings into countering my opponents ridiculously retarded strategy vs zerg.

God this just sums up like every ZvZ I've ever made it past expanding in.


Because of these videos, I now know how to say several things in Korean, including Not Enough Minerals, Not Enough Vespene Gas and Your Forces Are Under Attack

Thanks Artosis, for teaching us both Starcraft and Korean
Psychedelic Rock Album http://soundcloud.com/dead-rock-music
Artosis *
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
United States2140 Posts
September 30 2010 01:13 GMT
#160
On September 29 2010 18:57 mathemagician1986 wrote:
thx artosis! great help for us zergies

I have more a general question: do you really think it's worth it to switch to roaches really late? I mean, in all games v P you have started off with a FE, took 2 gas, got lair and then went ling/hydra. Once you see colossi you then add roaches, but I feel that roaches don'T really work well vs colossi, because their range is simply to small.

Do you think sticking to T1 units is good in this situation, or do you think it's better to go spire tech or hive& ultras?


Spire tech and Ultras are better choices if you can get them. The problem is, it takes a lot of time and resources to get those techs out. Sometimes, when you have no time, you have to get roaches.
Commentatorhttp://twitter.com/Artosis
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 10 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
QMC Community Tournament 1
Liquipedia
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 196
ProTech150
Nina 96
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3521
Shuttle 1469
Sharp 375
Dewaltoss 88
Mong 64
Noble 14
Icarus 9
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm182
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox574
Mew2King26
Other Games
summit1g7806
WinterStarcraft545
C9.Mang0257
Sick115
ViBE107
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 39
• StrangeGG 16
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki22
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2309
League of Legends
• Lourlo1069
• Stunt355
Other Games
• Shiphtur423
Upcoming Events
OSC
17h 57m
Big Brain Bouts
1d 4h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 11h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 13h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.