• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:43
CEST 16:43
KST 23:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9431 users

The Zerg Help Me Thread - Page 487

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 485 486 487 488 489 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action. Also, please put some effort into your questions.
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 07 2013 01:39 GMT
#9721
On March 07 2013 07:42 Bargeman wrote:
Ok so my macro is pretty darned good as a gold league player, in this game I am Zerg vs a Terran player completely owning him in economy but theres just one thing. I cannot for the life of me defeat his army, no matter how much i try I cannot. I tried the best combo vs biomech, broodlords, cracklings, ultralisks, banelings, infestors, and he still TORE THROUGH ME. I dont understand and this is getting to be very frustrating as it is happening in most terran matchups I have.

Here is a replay: http://drop.sc/309296


Be careful going for brood lords + ultralisks at the same time - generally, a zerg player will make switches between them, however these switches are COMPLETE switches (to make the unit composition most effective).

Also remember that, versus bio/mech, as the broodlord/infestor player you shouldnt' feel a sense of urgency. Just cut off bases, and defend versus drops. Keep tabs on your opponent though - if you see a raven/viking transition coming, a sense of urgency should be established to cut off your opponent's economy.

I would also recommend working on your control - some units just run into the fight without needing to be. Keep in mind that prepositioning before the fight takes place helps a lot as well.
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
Azoryen
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Portugal242 Posts
March 07 2013 01:45 GMT
#9722
On March 07 2013 10:36 Glon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2013 10:29 Azoryen wrote:
I'm trying to make sense of the opening possibilities in ZvZ.
Let's say we resume builds as:
1) early pool
2) pool+gas before hatch
3) pool > hatch > gas
4) hatch first

4) loses against 1) and only slightly ahead against 2) and 3), so doesn't seem to be worth the risk
1) wins against 4) and puts you very behind against 2) and 3), so also not worth it

So my main question is: what about 2) and 3)? Which does best overall?
3) seems to be slightly more economical. But in a 2) vs 3) situation, because 2) gets much faster speed and that could be enough to balance or even put you ahead most of the times (I believe I've heard Tang say this).
Also, which s better against 1) and 4)?

Thanks for any input.


Check out http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=401063 - should answer a lot of Qs about initial BOs (note: Build orders at the very least still work for HOTS)


Just did.
Very good stuff there, but unfortunately my option 2) (pool + gas before hatch) is not discussed. I think it would be great if you could include that in your guide since it's a very common build.
I'd still appreciate opinons on how a build like 14pool/14gas compares to 14pool/15hatch regarding the range of opposing builds.
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 07 2013 01:53 GMT
#9723
On March 07 2013 10:45 Azoryen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2013 10:36 Glon wrote:
On March 07 2013 10:29 Azoryen wrote:
I'm trying to make sense of the opening possibilities in ZvZ.
Let's say we resume builds as:
1) early pool
2) pool+gas before hatch
3) pool > hatch > gas
4) hatch first

4) loses against 1) and only slightly ahead against 2) and 3), so doesn't seem to be worth the risk
1) wins against 4) and puts you very behind against 2) and 3), so also not worth it

So my main question is: what about 2) and 3)? Which does best overall?
3) seems to be slightly more economical. But in a 2) vs 3) situation, because 2) gets much faster speed and that could be enough to balance or even put you ahead most of the times (I believe I've heard Tang say this).
Also, which s better against 1) and 4)?

Thanks for any input.


Check out http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=401063 - should answer a lot of Qs about initial BOs (note: Build orders at the very least still work for HOTS)


Just did.
Very good stuff there, but unfortunately my option 2) (pool + gas before hatch) is not discussed. I think it would be great if you could include that in your guide since it's a very common build.
I'd still appreciate opinons on how a build like 14pool/14gas compares to 14pool/15hatch regarding the range of opposing builds.


Pool + Gas is not a common build - it is almost always used for cheesy builds/coinflip zergling all ins. While yes, these are valuable, they do not make a player better (or at least not at the same rate as "standard" builds).

I do not discuss 14/14 b/c they aren't "standard." for the reasons ^
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
March 07 2013 01:55 GMT
#9724
On March 07 2013 10:45 Azoryen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2013 10:36 Glon wrote:
On March 07 2013 10:29 Azoryen wrote:
I'm trying to make sense of the opening possibilities in ZvZ.
Let's say we resume builds as:
1) early pool
2) pool+gas before hatch
3) pool > hatch > gas
4) hatch first

4) loses against 1) and only slightly ahead against 2) and 3), so doesn't seem to be worth the risk
1) wins against 4) and puts you very behind against 2) and 3), so also not worth it

So my main question is: what about 2) and 3)? Which does best overall?
3) seems to be slightly more economical. But in a 2) vs 3) situation, because 2) gets much faster speed and that could be enough to balance or even put you ahead most of the times (I believe I've heard Tang say this).
Also, which s better against 1) and 4)?

Thanks for any input.


Check out http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=401063 - should answer a lot of Qs about initial BOs (note: Build orders at the very least still work for HOTS)


Just did.
Very good stuff there, but unfortunately my option 2) (pool + gas before hatch) is not discussed. I think it would be great if you could include that in your guide since it's a very common build.
I'd still appreciate opinons on how a build like 14pool/14gas compares to 14pool/15hatch regarding the range of opposing builds.

Never heard of 14 pool 14 gas.

14/14/21 used to be standard until people realized that 15p/16h/17g can hold every all in and be WAY ahead of a 14/14 macro opener. I mean you get faster speed...but at a cost of a few drones and a hatchery about a minute later, which is a LOT of lost larvae. Pool-gas-hatch seems like an inefficient middle ground - you don't have enough minerals to spend your larvae, and your speed is too fast to be of any use. No point in having super fast speed if you can't make any lings for it, is there?

I just go 15 pool 16 hatch 15 overlord+queen, 17 gas. I can hold anything if I play right, and the economy is about the same as hatch first. Basically, you're either ahead or even with EVERY other opener. It's standard and should be.

I only see 14/14 when they're going to speedling all in...I haven't seen it in a pro game in ages. As a macro opener it's too far behind gasless expands, and at higher levels speedling floods just don't work.

Hope this clarifies things
Getting back into sc2 O_o
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 07 2013 02:37 GMT
#9725
On March 07 2013 10:55 Mavvie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2013 10:45 Azoryen wrote:
On March 07 2013 10:36 Glon wrote:
On March 07 2013 10:29 Azoryen wrote:
I'm trying to make sense of the opening possibilities in ZvZ.
Let's say we resume builds as:
1) early pool
2) pool+gas before hatch
3) pool > hatch > gas
4) hatch first

4) loses against 1) and only slightly ahead against 2) and 3), so doesn't seem to be worth the risk
1) wins against 4) and puts you very behind against 2) and 3), so also not worth it

So my main question is: what about 2) and 3)? Which does best overall?
3) seems to be slightly more economical. But in a 2) vs 3) situation, because 2) gets much faster speed and that could be enough to balance or even put you ahead most of the times (I believe I've heard Tang say this).
Also, which s better against 1) and 4)?

Thanks for any input.


Check out http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=401063 - should answer a lot of Qs about initial BOs (note: Build orders at the very least still work for HOTS)


Just did.
Very good stuff there, but unfortunately my option 2) (pool + gas before hatch) is not discussed. I think it would be great if you could include that in your guide since it's a very common build.
I'd still appreciate opinons on how a build like 14pool/14gas compares to 14pool/15hatch regarding the range of opposing builds.

Never heard of 14 pool 14 gas.

14/14/21 used to be standard until people realized that 15p/16h/17g can hold every all in and be WAY ahead of a 14/14 macro opener. I mean you get faster speed...but at a cost of a few drones and a hatchery about a minute later, which is a LOT of lost larvae. Pool-gas-hatch seems like an inefficient middle ground - you don't have enough minerals to spend your larvae, and your speed is too fast to be of any use. No point in having super fast speed if you can't make any lings for it, is there?

I just go 15 pool 16 hatch 15 overlord+queen, 17 gas. I can hold anything if I play right, and the economy is about the same as hatch first. Basically, you're either ahead or even with EVERY other opener. It's standard and should be.

I only see 14/14 when they're going to speedling all in...I haven't seen it in a pro game in ages. As a macro opener it's too far behind gasless expands, and at higher levels speedling floods just don't work.

Hope this clarifies things


14 pool/14 gas followed with 15 hatchery is a pretty popular coinflip ZvZ all in.
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
Azoryen
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Portugal242 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-07 02:51:37
March 07 2013 02:44 GMT
#9726
On March 07 2013 10:55 Mavvie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2013 10:45 Azoryen wrote:
On March 07 2013 10:36 Glon wrote:
On March 07 2013 10:29 Azoryen wrote:
I'm trying to make sense of the opening possibilities in ZvZ.
Let's say we resume builds as:
1) early pool
2) pool+gas before hatch
3) pool > hatch > gas
4) hatch first

4) loses against 1) and only slightly ahead against 2) and 3), so doesn't seem to be worth the risk
1) wins against 4) and puts you very behind against 2) and 3), so also not worth it

So my main question is: what about 2) and 3)? Which does best overall?
3) seems to be slightly more economical. But in a 2) vs 3) situation, because 2) gets much faster speed and that could be enough to balance or even put you ahead most of the times (I believe I've heard Tang say this).
Also, which s better against 1) and 4)?

Thanks for any input.


Check out http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=401063 - should answer a lot of Qs about initial BOs (note: Build orders at the very least still work for HOTS)


Just did.
Very good stuff there, but unfortunately my option 2) (pool + gas before hatch) is not discussed. I think it would be great if you could include that in your guide since it's a very common build.
I'd still appreciate opinons on how a build like 14pool/14gas compares to 14pool/15hatch regarding the range of opposing builds.

Never heard of 14 pool 14 gas.

Just checked Tang build. It's actually 15pool/15gas/17hatch, so a more economical pool>gas>hatch.
What I find interesting is that he claims that his build gives him a significant edge over 15pool/15hatch. I'm sure he doesn't mean immediate economical edge, but rather an edge because of the pressure he can put with a much earlier speed, which can translate to an easy win or enough eco damage to put him ahead anyway.
Check his comments @ 2:20
http://www.twitch.tv/tangsc/b/327399304

Note: The only build that he thinks leaves him slightly behind is hatch first, because of earlier spine and speed than pool first.
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
March 07 2013 13:11 GMT
#9727
On March 07 2013 11:37 Glon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 07 2013 10:55 Mavvie wrote:
On March 07 2013 10:45 Azoryen wrote:
On March 07 2013 10:36 Glon wrote:
On March 07 2013 10:29 Azoryen wrote:
I'm trying to make sense of the opening possibilities in ZvZ.
Let's say we resume builds as:
1) early pool
2) pool+gas before hatch
3) pool > hatch > gas
4) hatch first

4) loses against 1) and only slightly ahead against 2) and 3), so doesn't seem to be worth the risk
1) wins against 4) and puts you very behind against 2) and 3), so also not worth it

So my main question is: what about 2) and 3)? Which does best overall?
3) seems to be slightly more economical. But in a 2) vs 3) situation, because 2) gets much faster speed and that could be enough to balance or even put you ahead most of the times (I believe I've heard Tang say this).
Also, which s better against 1) and 4)?

Thanks for any input.


Check out http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=401063 - should answer a lot of Qs about initial BOs (note: Build orders at the very least still work for HOTS)


Just did.
Very good stuff there, but unfortunately my option 2) (pool + gas before hatch) is not discussed. I think it would be great if you could include that in your guide since it's a very common build.
I'd still appreciate opinons on how a build like 14pool/14gas compares to 14pool/15hatch regarding the range of opposing builds.

Never heard of 14 pool 14 gas.

14/14/21 used to be standard until people realized that 15p/16h/17g can hold every all in and be WAY ahead of a 14/14 macro opener. I mean you get faster speed...but at a cost of a few drones and a hatchery about a minute later, which is a LOT of lost larvae. Pool-gas-hatch seems like an inefficient middle ground - you don't have enough minerals to spend your larvae, and your speed is too fast to be of any use. No point in having super fast speed if you can't make any lings for it, is there?

I just go 15 pool 16 hatch 15 overlord+queen, 17 gas. I can hold anything if I play right, and the economy is about the same as hatch first. Basically, you're either ahead or even with EVERY other opener. It's standard and should be.

I only see 14/14 when they're going to speedling all in...I haven't seen it in a pro game in ages. As a macro opener it's too far behind gasless expands, and at higher levels speedling floods just don't work.

Hope this clarifies things


14 pool/14 gas followed with 15 hatchery is a pretty popular coinflip ZvZ all in.

Yes of course. If you can scout their main gas timing then you can get a spine up and be fine. Otherwise you sort of die because it looks like a gas less expand.

About 15p/15g/17h...it's better for being aggressive. For that reason alone I wouldn't recommend it to someone trying to improve. Later speed = more minerals = more drones, even if you have to get a spine or 3rd queen. It's a matter of personal preference. I mean I don't really give a shit about you having faster speed because you aren't getting anywhere near my workers. I'll have 2 queens on the ramp, a spine, and 4 banelings if I see a Speedling allin. Most of the time I hold all ins is without getting speed at all. You only need speed if 1) you want to be aggressive, or 2) you screwed up and his lings are dancing around your main.

So yeah it's totally up to you whether you want to play defensively and be ahead if you play it right, or aggressive and be really relying on your opponent's mistakes and your micro to win.
Getting back into sc2 O_o
obis
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada98 Posts
March 07 2013 21:13 GMT
#9728
in this article:

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Glon's_Guide_to_Zerg_vs._Terran

its a zvt build, says to get your first gas at 17 but when do you take your second geyser? in what order do you take your geysers? say you just wanted to get met boost with your first hundred and than at 150 gas get 1 1 and than after that get lair, when would you get your second geyser? or do you get it before you start lair and 1 1 upgrades?
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 07 2013 23:26 GMT
#9729
On March 08 2013 06:13 obis wrote:
in this article:

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Glon's_Guide_to_Zerg_vs._Terran

its a zvt build, says to get your first gas at 17 but when do you take your second geyser? in what order do you take your geysers? say you just wanted to get met boost with your first hundred and than at 150 gas get 1 1 and than after that get lair, when would you get your second geyser? or do you get it before you start lair and 1 1 upgrades?


If you want to go for 1/1 after speed, I would suggest taking 2 geisers after your first set of queens finish. I'm not sure why this wasn't included - sorry - but take 2 gases after your first 2 queens pop (build a total of 4), and start mining. Get:
-Speed
-1/1
-Lair

This is a common build either to do a 1/1 roach + speed timing (in which case you'd get ranged) or just to go either muta or infestor but with fast ups. Take a third as minerals allow
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
obis
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada98 Posts
March 07 2013 23:41 GMT
#9730
thank's Glon, i will do that.
obis
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada98 Posts
March 07 2013 23:49 GMT
#9731
are you saying instead of taking your first geyser at 17 to instead get two geysers? as you would do if in zvp? like the two gas at 6 minutes? what supply would be best to take the two geysers or do you base it on situation?
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 08 2013 02:20 GMT
#9732
On March 08 2013 08:49 obis wrote:
are you saying instead of taking your first geyser at 17 to instead get two geysers? as you would do if in zvp? like the two gas at 6 minutes? what supply would be best to take the two geysers or do you base it on situation?


It all depends on what you want to do. For a basic tech build (ie speed --> lair), then 17 gas will do it for you. For what he is attempting to do, 2 gasses after first set of queens pop will be more beneficial.

@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
obis
Profile Joined September 2011
Canada98 Posts
March 08 2013 02:41 GMT
#9733
i was wondering if after i get my first gas at 17 if when should i get my second one? i have heard from people to grab your 2nd geyser when you start lair and when your lair is half way finished to get the other 2, i am preferring to stay on 2 bases. i just want to learn a standard build i can use in zvp and zvt.
BatTheMan
Profile Joined July 2005
Canada759 Posts
March 08 2013 02:47 GMT
#9734
As a Bronze Zerg player what should I focus on? Can someone give me an opening for each match up?
aka RichardNPL (RichardNamPhong@Azeroth)
Azoryen
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Portugal242 Posts
March 08 2013 03:22 GMT
#9735
On March 08 2013 11:47 BatTheMan wrote:
As a Bronze Zerg player what should I focus on? Can someone give me an opening for each match up?

I think you should focus on injects and larva spending.

I recommend this practice: play many games vs easy AI where all you do is:
- create a pool, 3 hatches and a queen for each hatch
- focus on injecting and using your larva as soon as possible to make units
- you can saturate your 3 bases with 16 drones in each base, then make lings only until you get to 200/200

Don't worry about gases or any other structures, this is only an exercise to improve your mechanics.
Once you are able to do this without much lost time, you should notice a big improvement in your injects / larva spending
BatTheMan
Profile Joined July 2005
Canada759 Posts
March 08 2013 03:40 GMT
#9736
On March 08 2013 12:22 Azoryen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 11:47 BatTheMan wrote:
As a Bronze Zerg player what should I focus on? Can someone give me an opening for each match up?

I think you should focus on injects and larva spending.

I recommend this practice: play many games vs easy AI where all you do is:
- create a pool, 3 hatches and a queen for each hatch
- focus on injecting and using your larva as soon as possible to make units
- you can saturate your 3 bases with 16 drones in each base, then make lings only until you get to 200/200

Don't worry about gases or any other structures, this is only an exercise to improve your mechanics.
Once you are able to do this without much lost time, you should notice a big improvement in your injects / larva spending

How do I hotkey my Queens?
All on the same # or a different # for each of them?
aka RichardNPL (RichardNamPhong@Azeroth)
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
March 08 2013 04:11 GMT
#9737
Hey everyone, I'm wondering how I should decide on whether to go mutas or infestors. This season I've just always gone 3 base muta, but I feel like I rack up a lot of unnecessary losses, or losses that could have been avoided by choosing infestors.

The way I see it is:

Mutas:
Pros:
-get to be very aggressive and mobile
-deny drops
-kill terran with a 2/2 speedbane timing
-win if your opponent forgot turrets

Cons:
-weak once terran reaches critical mass
-very late infestors
-lack of AoE other than banelings (lots of gas spent)
-takes a LOT of micro and positioning to trade remotely evenly

Infestors:
Pros:
-demolish any terran push with ease
-burrowed infestor harass is really good
-transitions really easily into hive
-can survive on a lower drone count, so more army supply
-faster 3/3 to hit some hive timings

Cons:
-passive
-zzzzzzzzzzz
-very hard to engage a sieged up tank like because the infestors die really fast to the long range siege tanks
-relies more on your opponent's lack of micro than your excelling micro

so, how should I choose between the two? I used to always go infestors, but every GSL ZvT is mutalisks so I tried them out this season and feel like it's not as strong as infestors...but surely there's a reason korean zergs don't go infestors?

thanks in advance for any clarification!
Getting back into sc2 O_o
Azoryen
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Portugal242 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-08 05:03:20
March 08 2013 04:56 GMT
#9738
On March 08 2013 12:40 BatTheMan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 12:22 Azoryen wrote:
On March 08 2013 11:47 BatTheMan wrote:
As a Bronze Zerg player what should I focus on? Can someone give me an opening for each match up?

I think you should focus on injects and larva spending.

I recommend this practice: play many games vs easy AI where all you do is:
- create a pool, 3 hatches and a queen for each hatch
- focus on injecting and using your larva as soon as possible to make units
- you can saturate your 3 bases with 16 drones in each base, then make lings only until you get to 200/200

Don't worry about gases or any other structures, this is only an exercise to improve your mechanics.
Once you are able to do this without much lost time, you should notice a big improvement in your injects / larva spending

How do I hotkey my Queens?
All on the same # or a different # for each of them?

There's no right way to do it, whatever works best for you. Try a few methods and see what you prefer.
I personally hotkey them together and inject like this: queens#>inject key>hold shift>use camera hotkeys to cycle through bases and left-click each hatch. Its a long wording, but its one of the fastest methods with practice.
Henk
Profile Joined March 2012
Netherlands578 Posts
March 08 2013 10:01 GMT
#9739
On March 08 2013 13:11 Mavvie wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm wondering how I should decide on whether to go mutas or infestors. This season I've just always gone 3 base muta, but I feel like I rack up a lot of unnecessary losses, or losses that could have been avoided by choosing infestors.

The way I see it is:

Mutas:
Pros:
-get to be very aggressive and mobile
-deny drops
-kill terran with a 2/2 speedbane timing
-win if your opponent forgot turrets

Cons:
-weak once terran reaches critical mass
-very late infestors
-lack of AoE other than banelings (lots of gas spent)
-takes a LOT of micro and positioning to trade remotely evenly

Infestors:
Pros:
-demolish any terran push with ease
-burrowed infestor harass is really good
-transitions really easily into hive
-can survive on a lower drone count, so more army supply
-faster 3/3 to hit some hive timings

Cons:
-passive
-zzzzzzzzzzz
-very hard to engage a sieged up tank like because the infestors die really fast to the long range siege tanks
-relies more on your opponent's lack of micro than your excelling micro

so, how should I choose between the two? I used to always go infestors, but every GSL ZvT is mutalisks so I tried them out this season and feel like it's not as strong as infestors...but surely there's a reason korean zergs don't go infestors?

thanks in advance for any clarification!


I have the exact same thing. I've been playing more and more with mutas lately, but I feel like I lose a lot of games due to this, and having infestors would make things much easier. Transitioning to hive is a lot tougher, because you don't have infestors yet. Infestors bored me though, and with mutas being buffed in HotS I wanted to learn how to play with them better.

I think on some maps mutas are good, and some aren't. For example, ZvT, cloud kingdom - mutas suck here. You can't do a 2/2/1 attack because they just wall off their third with supply depots and chill behind it with tanks and stuff. On maps like antiga it works a lot better though, because you can poke into their main more easily and their army will be more spread, and not behind a wall (most of the time).

So yeah. If you feel like your positional play is good, and don't want to deal with drops, go mutas. Also depends on the map, like I said.
Azoryen
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Portugal242 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-08 11:55:11
March 08 2013 11:49 GMT
#9740
On March 08 2013 19:01 Henk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 13:11 Mavvie wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm wondering how I should decide on whether to go mutas or infestors. This season I've just always gone 3 base muta, but I feel like I rack up a lot of unnecessary losses, or losses that could have been avoided by choosing infestors.

The way I see it is:

Mutas:
Pros:
-get to be very aggressive and mobile
-deny drops
-kill terran with a 2/2 speedbane timing
-win if your opponent forgot turrets

Cons:
-weak once terran reaches critical mass
-very late infestors
-lack of AoE other than banelings (lots of gas spent)
-takes a LOT of micro and positioning to trade remotely evenly

Infestors:
Pros:
-demolish any terran push with ease
-burrowed infestor harass is really good
-transitions really easily into hive
-can survive on a lower drone count, so more army supply
-faster 3/3 to hit some hive timings

Cons:
-passive
-zzzzzzzzzzz
-very hard to engage a sieged up tank like because the infestors die really fast to the long range siege tanks
-relies more on your opponent's lack of micro than your excelling micro

so, how should I choose between the two? I used to always go infestors, but every GSL ZvT is mutalisks so I tried them out this season and feel like it's not as strong as infestors...but surely there's a reason korean zergs don't go infestors?

thanks in advance for any clarification!


I have the exact same thing. I've been playing more and more with mutas lately, but I feel like I lose a lot of games due to this, and having infestors would make things much easier. Transitioning to hive is a lot tougher, because you don't have infestors yet. Infestors bored me though, and with mutas being buffed in HotS I wanted to learn how to play with them better.

I think on some maps mutas are good, and some aren't. For example, ZvT, cloud kingdom - mutas suck here. You can't do a 2/2/1 attack because they just wall off their third with supply depots and chill behind it with tanks and stuff. On maps like antiga it works a lot better though, because you can poke into their main more easily and their army will be more spread, and not behind a wall (most of the time).

So yeah. If you feel like your positional play is good, and don't want to deal with drops, go mutas. Also depends on the map, like I said.

Sorry to pop in as a lower league, but I'd really like to know opinion about whether it's bad to go for both mutas and infestors. What I mean is to have only a few of each type in your army. I do this and usually end my games with very nice trades. Fungal is still amazing vs T, but doesn't justify having as much infestor supply as before, more like a support spell now. And a few also discourage drops, induce turrets, etc. I love how in the end of engagements fungal can hold those medivacs for mutas to clean them up. Killing medivacs makes a big difference in that unit lost tab. Also, with both units, drops become too risky for them. Any reason why this should fail in the masters league?
Prev 1 485 486 487 488 489 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 988
ComeBackTV 874
SteadfastSC680
TaKeTV 448
IndyStarCraft 144
Rex120
EnkiAlexander 67
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 680
IndyStarCraft 144
ProTech144
Rex 120
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50495
Bisu 1830
Horang2 1265
EffOrt 1117
Soma 619
Hyuk 591
Mini 540
BeSt 538
Light 426
Larva 418
[ Show more ]
Rush 267
ZerO 215
910 89
Mong 83
Leta 72
firebathero 69
Pusan 54
Snow 54
Sexy 45
Mind 38
ToSsGirL 36
JYJ 31
Aegong 30
Bale 21
Shine 18
Rock 16
Terrorterran 15
Noble 13
Trap 13
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7511
qojqva1050
Counter-Strike
Fnx 770
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1520
Khaldor1105
Lowko461
Other Games
singsing1999
olofmeister1496
hiko1196
Beastyqt664
B2W.Neo404
Livibee202
Hui .184
Liquid`VortiX145
XaKoH 125
ArmadaUGS107
KnowMe102
djWHEAT83
Mew2King79
QueenE65
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV206
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream84
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 19
• mYiSmile19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 37
• FirePhoenix10
• Michael_bg 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3064
Other Games
• Shiphtur179
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 17m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 17m
Online Event
20h 17m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.