• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:43
CEST 16:43
KST 23:43
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)56Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9431 users

The Zerg Help Me Thread - Page 488

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 486 487 488 489 Next
Make sure you read the OP before asking a question. Asking a question already addressed in the OP will result in moderation action. Also, please put some effort into your questions.
Henk
Profile Joined March 2012
Netherlands578 Posts
March 08 2013 11:59 GMT
#9741
On March 08 2013 20:49 Azoryen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 19:01 Henk wrote:
On March 08 2013 13:11 Mavvie wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm wondering how I should decide on whether to go mutas or infestors. This season I've just always gone 3 base muta, but I feel like I rack up a lot of unnecessary losses, or losses that could have been avoided by choosing infestors.

The way I see it is:

Mutas:
Pros:
-get to be very aggressive and mobile
-deny drops
-kill terran with a 2/2 speedbane timing
-win if your opponent forgot turrets

Cons:
-weak once terran reaches critical mass
-very late infestors
-lack of AoE other than banelings (lots of gas spent)
-takes a LOT of micro and positioning to trade remotely evenly

Infestors:
Pros:
-demolish any terran push with ease
-burrowed infestor harass is really good
-transitions really easily into hive
-can survive on a lower drone count, so more army supply
-faster 3/3 to hit some hive timings

Cons:
-passive
-zzzzzzzzzzz
-very hard to engage a sieged up tank like because the infestors die really fast to the long range siege tanks
-relies more on your opponent's lack of micro than your excelling micro

so, how should I choose between the two? I used to always go infestors, but every GSL ZvT is mutalisks so I tried them out this season and feel like it's not as strong as infestors...but surely there's a reason korean zergs don't go infestors?

thanks in advance for any clarification!


I have the exact same thing. I've been playing more and more with mutas lately, but I feel like I lose a lot of games due to this, and having infestors would make things much easier. Transitioning to hive is a lot tougher, because you don't have infestors yet. Infestors bored me though, and with mutas being buffed in HotS I wanted to learn how to play with them better.

I think on some maps mutas are good, and some aren't. For example, ZvT, cloud kingdom - mutas suck here. You can't do a 2/2/1 attack because they just wall off their third with supply depots and chill behind it with tanks and stuff. On maps like antiga it works a lot better though, because you can poke into their main more easily and their army will be more spread, and not behind a wall (most of the time).

So yeah. If you feel like your positional play is good, and don't want to deal with drops, go mutas. Also depends on the map, like I said.

Sorry to pop in as a lower league, but I'd really like to know opinion about whether it's bad to go for both mutas and infestors. What I mean is to have only a few of each type in your army. I do this and usually end my games with very nice trades. Fungal is still amazing vs T, but doesn't justify having as much infestor supply as before, more like a support spell now. And a few also discourage drops, induce turrets, etc. I love how in the end of engagements fungal can hold those medivacs for mutas to clean them up. Killing medivacs makes a big difference in that unit lost tab. Also, with both units, drops become too risky for them. Any reason why this should fail in the masters league?


That's generally a bad idea, because both units cost a lot of gas, and you will have a lackluster army with not enough infestors or mutas to scare him. Mutas will kill medivacs anyway after you win an engagement because they're faster - and with infestors you can throw down some IT and then fungal the medivacs.

If you're scared of drops, but also want infestors, I suggest to open up with ling-bling-muta and transition into infestors/BL or ultra relatively quickly. Don't make both mutas and infestors at once. Ofcourse there are games in which this works, but you shouldn't aim at doing this.
Azoryen
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Portugal242 Posts
March 08 2013 12:55 GMT
#9742
On March 08 2013 20:59 Henk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 20:49 Azoryen wrote:
On March 08 2013 19:01 Henk wrote:
On March 08 2013 13:11 Mavvie wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm wondering how I should decide on whether to go mutas or infestors. This season I've just always gone 3 base muta, but I feel like I rack up a lot of unnecessary losses, or losses that could have been avoided by choosing infestors.

The way I see it is:

Mutas:
Pros:
-get to be very aggressive and mobile
-deny drops
-kill terran with a 2/2 speedbane timing
-win if your opponent forgot turrets

Cons:
-weak once terran reaches critical mass
-very late infestors
-lack of AoE other than banelings (lots of gas spent)
-takes a LOT of micro and positioning to trade remotely evenly

Infestors:
Pros:
-demolish any terran push with ease
-burrowed infestor harass is really good
-transitions really easily into hive
-can survive on a lower drone count, so more army supply
-faster 3/3 to hit some hive timings

Cons:
-passive
-zzzzzzzzzzz
-very hard to engage a sieged up tank like because the infestors die really fast to the long range siege tanks
-relies more on your opponent's lack of micro than your excelling micro

so, how should I choose between the two? I used to always go infestors, but every GSL ZvT is mutalisks so I tried them out this season and feel like it's not as strong as infestors...but surely there's a reason korean zergs don't go infestors?

thanks in advance for any clarification!


I have the exact same thing. I've been playing more and more with mutas lately, but I feel like I lose a lot of games due to this, and having infestors would make things much easier. Transitioning to hive is a lot tougher, because you don't have infestors yet. Infestors bored me though, and with mutas being buffed in HotS I wanted to learn how to play with them better.

I think on some maps mutas are good, and some aren't. For example, ZvT, cloud kingdom - mutas suck here. You can't do a 2/2/1 attack because they just wall off their third with supply depots and chill behind it with tanks and stuff. On maps like antiga it works a lot better though, because you can poke into their main more easily and their army will be more spread, and not behind a wall (most of the time).

So yeah. If you feel like your positional play is good, and don't want to deal with drops, go mutas. Also depends on the map, like I said.

Sorry to pop in as a lower league, but I'd really like to know opinion about whether it's bad to go for both mutas and infestors. What I mean is to have only a few of each type in your army. I do this and usually end my games with very nice trades. Fungal is still amazing vs T, but doesn't justify having as much infestor supply as before, more like a support spell now. And a few also discourage drops, induce turrets, etc. I love how in the end of engagements fungal can hold those medivacs for mutas to clean them up. Killing medivacs makes a big difference in that unit lost tab. Also, with both units, drops become too risky for them. Any reason why this should fail in the masters league?


That's generally a bad idea, because both units cost a lot of gas, and you will have a lackluster army with not enough infestors or mutas to scare him. Mutas will kill medivacs anyway after you win an engagement because they're faster - and with infestors you can throw down some IT and then fungal the medivacs.

If you're scared of drops, but also want infestors, I suggest to open up with ling-bling-muta and transition into infestors/BL or ultra relatively quickly. Don't make both mutas and infestors at once. Ofcourse there are games in which this works, but you shouldn't aim at doing this.

The backbone of my early and mid game army is ling/bane with good upgrades. Fungal does make these ground units a lot more effective, so I just want enough infestors to have enough energy for fungal. Why do you need a lot of infestors to scare him?

I feel zerg ground+fungal is almost OP vs terran ground, only problem is I have no AA. I could spend more gas on infestors to have ITs as AA, but why not have mutas for that role? Instead of fungal+IT to kill medivacs, why not fungal+mutas? And mutas are more effective vs drops.

Not trying to counter your arguments, just really curious about what you mean by lackluster.
Henk
Profile Joined March 2012
Netherlands578 Posts
March 08 2013 13:36 GMT
#9743
On March 08 2013 21:55 Azoryen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 20:59 Henk wrote:
On March 08 2013 20:49 Azoryen wrote:
On March 08 2013 19:01 Henk wrote:
On March 08 2013 13:11 Mavvie wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm wondering how I should decide on whether to go mutas or infestors. This season I've just always gone 3 base muta, but I feel like I rack up a lot of unnecessary losses, or losses that could have been avoided by choosing infestors.

The way I see it is:

Mutas:
Pros:
-get to be very aggressive and mobile
-deny drops
-kill terran with a 2/2 speedbane timing
-win if your opponent forgot turrets

Cons:
-weak once terran reaches critical mass
-very late infestors
-lack of AoE other than banelings (lots of gas spent)
-takes a LOT of micro and positioning to trade remotely evenly

Infestors:
Pros:
-demolish any terran push with ease
-burrowed infestor harass is really good
-transitions really easily into hive
-can survive on a lower drone count, so more army supply
-faster 3/3 to hit some hive timings

Cons:
-passive
-zzzzzzzzzzz
-very hard to engage a sieged up tank like because the infestors die really fast to the long range siege tanks
-relies more on your opponent's lack of micro than your excelling micro

so, how should I choose between the two? I used to always go infestors, but every GSL ZvT is mutalisks so I tried them out this season and feel like it's not as strong as infestors...but surely there's a reason korean zergs don't go infestors?

thanks in advance for any clarification!


I have the exact same thing. I've been playing more and more with mutas lately, but I feel like I lose a lot of games due to this, and having infestors would make things much easier. Transitioning to hive is a lot tougher, because you don't have infestors yet. Infestors bored me though, and with mutas being buffed in HotS I wanted to learn how to play with them better.

I think on some maps mutas are good, and some aren't. For example, ZvT, cloud kingdom - mutas suck here. You can't do a 2/2/1 attack because they just wall off their third with supply depots and chill behind it with tanks and stuff. On maps like antiga it works a lot better though, because you can poke into their main more easily and their army will be more spread, and not behind a wall (most of the time).

So yeah. If you feel like your positional play is good, and don't want to deal with drops, go mutas. Also depends on the map, like I said.

Sorry to pop in as a lower league, but I'd really like to know opinion about whether it's bad to go for both mutas and infestors. What I mean is to have only a few of each type in your army. I do this and usually end my games with very nice trades. Fungal is still amazing vs T, but doesn't justify having as much infestor supply as before, more like a support spell now. And a few also discourage drops, induce turrets, etc. I love how in the end of engagements fungal can hold those medivacs for mutas to clean them up. Killing medivacs makes a big difference in that unit lost tab. Also, with both units, drops become too risky for them. Any reason why this should fail in the masters league?


That's generally a bad idea, because both units cost a lot of gas, and you will have a lackluster army with not enough infestors or mutas to scare him. Mutas will kill medivacs anyway after you win an engagement because they're faster - and with infestors you can throw down some IT and then fungal the medivacs.

If you're scared of drops, but also want infestors, I suggest to open up with ling-bling-muta and transition into infestors/BL or ultra relatively quickly. Don't make both mutas and infestors at once. Ofcourse there are games in which this works, but you shouldn't aim at doing this.

The backbone of my early and mid game army is ling/bane with good upgrades. Fungal does make these ground units a lot more effective, so I just want enough infestors to have enough energy for fungal. Why do you need a lot of infestors to scare him?

I feel zerg ground+fungal is almost OP vs terran ground, only problem is I have no AA. I could spend more gas on infestors to have ITs as AA, but why not have mutas for that role? Instead of fungal+IT to kill medivacs, why not fungal+mutas? And mutas are more effective vs drops.

Not trying to counter your arguments, just really curious about what you mean by lackluster.


Well, because getting 4 infestors costs Something like 900 gas (150 per infestor, + infestation pit + path glands) and adding say, 5 mutas to clean up medivacs costs 700 (500 mutas, 200 spire). The start-up cost of these units is quite high for the midgame. 4 infestors really aren't -that- scary, if focusfired they die so very fast when you attack into a tankline, and having only 5 mutas will only make the terran build 2 turrets and leave 3 marines at home, it's not scaring them.

Not to mentioning microing 3 control groups can be hard in lower leagues: You have to shiftclick tanks with mutas, land fungals, and control your banelings so they don't crash into tanks.
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
March 08 2013 13:51 GMT
#9744
On March 08 2013 19:01 Henk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 13:11 Mavvie wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm wondering how I should decide on whether to go mutas or infestors. This season I've just always gone 3 base muta, but I feel like I rack up a lot of unnecessary losses, or losses that could have been avoided by choosing infestors.

The way I see it is:

Mutas:
Pros:
-get to be very aggressive and mobile
-deny drops
-kill terran with a 2/2 speedbane timing
-win if your opponent forgot turrets

Cons:
-weak once terran reaches critical mass
-very late infestors
-lack of AoE other than banelings (lots of gas spent)
-takes a LOT of micro and positioning to trade remotely evenly

Infestors:
Pros:
-demolish any terran push with ease
-burrowed infestor harass is really good
-transitions really easily into hive
-can survive on a lower drone count, so more army supply
-faster 3/3 to hit some hive timings

Cons:
-passive
-zzzzzzzzzzz
-very hard to engage a sieged up tank like because the infestors die really fast to the long range siege tanks
-relies more on your opponent's lack of micro than your excelling micro

so, how should I choose between the two? I used to always go infestors, but every GSL ZvT is mutalisks so I tried them out this season and feel like it's not as strong as infestors...but surely there's a reason korean zergs don't go infestors?

thanks in advance for any clarification!


I have the exact same thing. I've been playing more and more with mutas lately, but I feel like I lose a lot of games due to this, and having infestors would make things much easier. Transitioning to hive is a lot tougher, because you don't have infestors yet. Infestors bored me though, and with mutas being buffed in HotS I wanted to learn how to play with them better.

I think on some maps mutas are good, and some aren't. For example, ZvT, cloud kingdom - mutas suck here. You can't do a 2/2/1 attack because they just wall off their third with supply depots and chill behind it with tanks and stuff. On maps like antiga it works a lot better though, because you can poke into their main more easily and their army will be more spread, and not behind a wall (most of the time).

So yeah. If you feel like your positional play is good, and don't want to deal with drops, go mutas. Also depends on the map, like I said.

Interesting...yeah, they both have pros and cons, but people used to think that infestors were way better in every way. But I don't see infestors anymore at a pro level.

I hadn't really thought of the map. It is really awkward when on cloud kingdom you max out with 40 banelings only to realize that you....can't attack him ever. I'll definitely consider maps when I play though. Infestors seem good on cloud kingdom, entombed valley, and maybe a few other maps, while mutas are good on ohana, daybreak, antiga, condemned, etc.

I guess I'll experiment around with them both against some good terrans (aka not ladder ) and see what I like best.
Getting back into sc2 O_o
SweKenZo
Profile Joined December 2011
Sweden82 Posts
March 09 2013 08:13 GMT
#9745
On March 08 2013 21:55 Azoryen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 08 2013 20:59 Henk wrote:
On March 08 2013 20:49 Azoryen wrote:
On March 08 2013 19:01 Henk wrote:
On March 08 2013 13:11 Mavvie wrote:
Hey everyone, I'm wondering how I should decide on whether to go mutas or infestors. This season I've just always gone 3 base muta, but I feel like I rack up a lot of unnecessary losses, or losses that could have been avoided by choosing infestors.

The way I see it is:

Mutas:
Pros:
-get to be very aggressive and mobile
-deny drops
-kill terran with a 2/2 speedbane timing
-win if your opponent forgot turrets

Cons:
-weak once terran reaches critical mass
-very late infestors
-lack of AoE other than banelings (lots of gas spent)
-takes a LOT of micro and positioning to trade remotely evenly

Infestors:
Pros:
-demolish any terran push with ease
-burrowed infestor harass is really good
-transitions really easily into hive
-can survive on a lower drone count, so more army supply
-faster 3/3 to hit some hive timings

Cons:
-passive
-zzzzzzzzzzz
-very hard to engage a sieged up tank like because the infestors die really fast to the long range siege tanks
-relies more on your opponent's lack of micro than your excelling micro

so, how should I choose between the two? I used to always go infestors, but every GSL ZvT is mutalisks so I tried them out this season and feel like it's not as strong as infestors...but surely there's a reason korean zergs don't go infestors?

thanks in advance for any clarification!


I have the exact same thing. I've been playing more and more with mutas lately, but I feel like I lose a lot of games due to this, and having infestors would make things much easier. Transitioning to hive is a lot tougher, because you don't have infestors yet. Infestors bored me though, and with mutas being buffed in HotS I wanted to learn how to play with them better.

I think on some maps mutas are good, and some aren't. For example, ZvT, cloud kingdom - mutas suck here. You can't do a 2/2/1 attack because they just wall off their third with supply depots and chill behind it with tanks and stuff. On maps like antiga it works a lot better though, because you can poke into their main more easily and their army will be more spread, and not behind a wall (most of the time).

So yeah. If you feel like your positional play is good, and don't want to deal with drops, go mutas. Also depends on the map, like I said.

Sorry to pop in as a lower league, but I'd really like to know opinion about whether it's bad to go for both mutas and infestors. What I mean is to have only a few of each type in your army. I do this and usually end my games with very nice trades. Fungal is still amazing vs T, but doesn't justify having as much infestor supply as before, more like a support spell now. And a few also discourage drops, induce turrets, etc. I love how in the end of engagements fungal can hold those medivacs for mutas to clean them up. Killing medivacs makes a big difference in that unit lost tab. Also, with both units, drops become too risky for them. Any reason why this should fail in the masters league?


That's generally a bad idea, because both units cost a lot of gas, and you will have a lackluster army with not enough infestors or mutas to scare him. Mutas will kill medivacs anyway after you win an engagement because they're faster - and with infestors you can throw down some IT and then fungal the medivacs.

If you're scared of drops, but also want infestors, I suggest to open up with ling-bling-muta and transition into infestors/BL or ultra relatively quickly. Don't make both mutas and infestors at once. Ofcourse there are games in which this works, but you shouldn't aim at doing this.

The backbone of my early and mid game army is ling/bane with good upgrades. Fungal does make these ground units a lot more effective, so I just want enough infestors to have enough energy for fungal. Why do you need a lot of infestors to scare him?

I feel zerg ground+fungal is almost OP vs terran ground, only problem is I have no AA. I could spend more gas on infestors to have ITs as AA, but why not have mutas for that role? Instead of fungal+IT to kill medivacs, why not fungal+mutas? And mutas are more effective vs drops.

Not trying to counter your arguments, just really curious about what you mean by lackluster.


I like Henk's answer!
Opening with mutas (getting 10-12 and optionally +1) forces T to be definsive and discourage him of dropping. This allows you to take a 4th (i like to double expand) and switch to infestors. While infestation pit is building you should quite alot of gas from 8 (10) geysers for your infestors : )
Plan how to use your gas though! I like to use gas for 2/2 before infestation pit in order to get alot of infestors at the same time.

The mutas that you have left from your harrass you can just add into first ling/bling hotkey.
For me: 1 - ling/bling/muta, 2 - ling/bling (flank) 3 - infestors

When teching to Hive, you have a solid foundation to tech to either GG-lords or ultras since your melee upgrades are on par with T and youre spire is already done!

What are your thoughts on this?
Bronze->Silver->Gold->Platinum->Diamond-> ?
Durmaz21
Profile Joined September 2012
Sweden52 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-11 14:54:03
March 11 2013 12:10 GMT
#9746
Is the 10 roach rush strategy in zvp viable at a high level of play?

Build order
+ Show Spoiler +

14Gas
14Pool
15Overlord
15 Queen/6Lings/Zergling Speed (Remove 2 from gas until you chase probe away)
20 Expansion Hatchery
19 Drone
20 Overlord x2
20 Roach Warren (4:20-4:30)
Zergling speed finishes, cancel hatch shortly after. (5:10-5:30)
Warren finishes around 5:45, begin 10 Roaches immediately (You should be at 20 out of 42 supply, allowing you to make 10 right away)
After roaches, remove from gas and produce 1 overlord.
Continuously produce lings rallied to your roaches.

It just seems like the early gas, late expansion and lack of third should give protoss a pretty clear idea that some kind of all-in is coming. So to counter this I was thinking maybe expand at 16 as per usual, put down a 3rd at 4th minute mark and cancel both expansions when speedlings are out but it would probably cost too many minerals and delay the rush so I dunno about that.
Henk
Profile Joined March 2012
Netherlands578 Posts
March 11 2013 17:09 GMT
#9747
On March 11 2013 21:10 Durmaz21 wrote:
Is the 10 roach rush strategy in zvp viable at a high level of play?

Build order
+ Show Spoiler +

14Gas
14Pool
15Overlord
15 Queen/6Lings/Zergling Speed (Remove 2 from gas until you chase probe away)
20 Expansion Hatchery
19 Drone
20 Overlord x2
20 Roach Warren (4:20-4:30)
Zergling speed finishes, cancel hatch shortly after. (5:10-5:30)
Warren finishes around 5:45, begin 10 Roaches immediately (You should be at 20 out of 42 supply, allowing you to make 10 right away)
After roaches, remove from gas and produce 1 overlord.
Continuously produce lings rallied to your roaches.

It just seems like the early gas, late expansion and lack of third should give protoss a pretty clear idea that some kind of all-in is coming. So to counter this I was thinking maybe expand at 16 as per usual, put down a 3rd at 4th minute mark and cancel both expansions when speedlings are out but it would probably cost too many minerals and delay the rush so I dunno about that.


I guess it could work, but it would rely on the protoss not doing his scouting well. Canceling both hatcheries is really costly like you said, and when you don't take your natural toss usually knows something is up.

Funny thing is, I was actually thinking about how viable roach rushes are vs toss, because no one does it, really. So they probably won't expect it.. Not sure. If someone else knows more, please say so.
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 11 2013 17:35 GMT
#9748
Hey guys - this thread will now become about HotS!! If you have any lingering Wings of Liberty questions, to reduce digestion, PM them to me.

Do note that I will be starting HotS Zerg Guides next week - expect those within a couple of weeks. More questions/answers will be taken from the Pro Zerg QandA thread and added into here whenever I/Monk/Blade have the time.
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
MstrJinbo
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1251 Posts
March 11 2013 17:45 GMT
#9749
On March 12 2013 02:09 Henk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 11 2013 21:10 Durmaz21 wrote:
Is the 10 roach rush strategy in zvp viable at a high level of play?

Build order
+ Show Spoiler +

14Gas
14Pool
15Overlord
15 Queen/6Lings/Zergling Speed (Remove 2 from gas until you chase probe away)
20 Expansion Hatchery
19 Drone
20 Overlord x2
20 Roach Warren (4:20-4:30)
Zergling speed finishes, cancel hatch shortly after. (5:10-5:30)
Warren finishes around 5:45, begin 10 Roaches immediately (You should be at 20 out of 42 supply, allowing you to make 10 right away)
After roaches, remove from gas and produce 1 overlord.
Continuously produce lings rallied to your roaches.

It just seems like the early gas, late expansion and lack of third should give protoss a pretty clear idea that some kind of all-in is coming. So to counter this I was thinking maybe expand at 16 as per usual, put down a 3rd at 4th minute mark and cancel both expansions when speedlings are out but it would probably cost too many minerals and delay the rush so I dunno about that.


I guess it could work, but it would rely on the protoss not doing his scouting well. Canceling both hatcheries is really costly like you said, and when you don't take your natural toss usually knows something is up.

Funny thing is, I was actually thinking about how viable roach rushes are vs toss, because no one does it, really. So they probably won't expect it.. Not sure. If someone else knows more, please say so.


I've seen games where Leenock did pretty much the same thing including the hatch cancel. So I would say it works at a high level, but it is still an allin where you need to do a ton of damage. Now that HotS is here with the planetary nexus, this attack might not work as well.
purecarnagge
Profile Joined August 2010
719 Posts
March 11 2013 20:10 GMT
#9750
I always though that most zergs vs terran at least pro's seem when they go for spire to get at least 8-12 muta's and then transition into infestor. So yes, while 5 might not be viable, 8-12 makes them wonder whats going on.. turrets go up and the terran stays home. They don't do a push out. They don't know if those 12 muta's are about to become 20...or not. They zone there base playing defensively. It allows time for another base to kick in and/or tech to finish to get into the composition that you were looking for or to bank larvae.
-Kaiser-
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Canada932 Posts
March 12 2013 13:23 GMT
#9751
Master level ZvT.

I do not know the proper way to take minimal damage from reapers. What build is the standard?

What is the standard in general?

I have so much trouble with drops now. Even with a bit of static defense at every base and a flock of mutas, it feels like when I go to defend one pair of medivacs, another pair of medivacs massacres a different base.

Ling/Muta/Bane seems to fall apart if they mix in hellbats.

I'm a stylistically aggressive player, but I feel like there's no real way to dictate the flow of the game right now. Reapers put you on the back foot, and by the time you're safe vs. reapers, you need to start preparing for the speed medivacs while you drone up and try to take a third. I have no idea where the window is for me to pressure terran, and even if I don't pressure terran, I have no idea how to even get through the midgame right now.
3 Hatch Before Cool
Glurkenspurk
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1915 Posts
March 12 2013 18:05 GMT
#9752
On March 12 2013 22:23 -Kaiser- wrote:
Master level ZvT.

I do not know the proper way to take minimal damage from reapers. What build is the standard?

What is the standard in general?

I have so much trouble with drops now. Even with a bit of static defense at every base and a flock of mutas, it feels like when I go to defend one pair of medivacs, another pair of medivacs massacres a different base.

Ling/Muta/Bane seems to fall apart if they mix in hellbats.

I'm a stylistically aggressive player, but I feel like there's no real way to dictate the flow of the game right now. Reapers put you on the back foot, and by the time you're safe vs. reapers, you need to start preparing for the speed medivacs while you drone up and try to take a third. I have no idea where the window is for me to pressure terran, and even if I don't pressure terran, I have no idea how to even get through the midgame right now.


It's literally impossible to be 100% safe vs reapers. You need to just have good micro and hope he's bad for the most part. I recommend stacking a few drones to hide the weak one, so he can't focus it down.

If I survive past the first few minutes I usually get a few mutas to beat the current broken medivacs. You can poke around but widow mines and tanks are pretty good at stopping any zerg aggression.
Glon
Profile Joined December 2010
United States569 Posts
March 12 2013 18:15 GMT
#9753
On March 13 2013 03:05 Glurkenspurk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2013 22:23 -Kaiser- wrote:
Master level ZvT.

I do not know the proper way to take minimal damage from reapers. What build is the standard?

What is the standard in general?

I have so much trouble with drops now. Even with a bit of static defense at every base and a flock of mutas, it feels like when I go to defend one pair of medivacs, another pair of medivacs massacres a different base.

Ling/Muta/Bane seems to fall apart if they mix in hellbats.

I'm a stylistically aggressive player, but I feel like there's no real way to dictate the flow of the game right now. Reapers put you on the back foot, and by the time you're safe vs. reapers, you need to start preparing for the speed medivacs while you drone up and try to take a third. I have no idea where the window is for me to pressure terran, and even if I don't pressure terran, I have no idea how to even get through the midgame right now.


It's literally impossible to be 100% safe vs reapers. You need to just have good micro and hope he's bad for the most part. I recommend stacking a few drones to hide the weak one, so he can't focus it down.

If I survive past the first few minutes I usually get a few mutas to beat the current broken medivacs. You can poke around but widow mines and tanks are pretty good at stopping any zerg aggression.



I'll assume that the reapers aren't proxied - if the barracks gets up proxied, you might as well leave or hope for your terran friend to have shit micro (the reaper will get into your base >1 minute before a queen gets out).

That being said, let's say that the barracks isn't proxied. Once scouted, immediately throw down a gas. Your strategy versus reapers is to get 4 queens out for defense of the initial reapers, then zergling speed to take back map control. Make sure to micro queens back, drones back, ect - if you don't do this, you'll lose a lot of drones.


ZvT is in a pretty shitty spot right now - expect some sort of change soon (either in balance or in meta-game). I would suggest a good overlord spread, and try to hit mid game timings (such as 2/2 muta/ling/bane or Stephano's 1/1 roach). A timing-based ZvT will give you a much better win/loss percentage than trying to macro every game.
@QuanticGlon https://twitter.com/QuanticGlon
Glurkenspurk
Profile Joined November 2010
United States1915 Posts
March 12 2013 18:29 GMT
#9754
On March 13 2013 03:15 Glon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 13 2013 03:05 Glurkenspurk wrote:
On March 12 2013 22:23 -Kaiser- wrote:
Master level ZvT.

I do not know the proper way to take minimal damage from reapers. What build is the standard?

What is the standard in general?

I have so much trouble with drops now. Even with a bit of static defense at every base and a flock of mutas, it feels like when I go to defend one pair of medivacs, another pair of medivacs massacres a different base.

Ling/Muta/Bane seems to fall apart if they mix in hellbats.

I'm a stylistically aggressive player, but I feel like there's no real way to dictate the flow of the game right now. Reapers put you on the back foot, and by the time you're safe vs. reapers, you need to start preparing for the speed medivacs while you drone up and try to take a third. I have no idea where the window is for me to pressure terran, and even if I don't pressure terran, I have no idea how to even get through the midgame right now.


It's literally impossible to be 100% safe vs reapers. You need to just have good micro and hope he's bad for the most part. I recommend stacking a few drones to hide the weak one, so he can't focus it down.

If I survive past the first few minutes I usually get a few mutas to beat the current broken medivacs. You can poke around but widow mines and tanks are pretty good at stopping any zerg aggression.



I'll assume that the reapers aren't proxied - if the barracks gets up proxied, you might as well leave or hope for your terran friend to have shit micro (the reaper will get into your base >1 minute before a queen gets out).

That being said, let's say that the barracks isn't proxied. Once scouted, immediately throw down a gas. Your strategy versus reapers is to get 4 queens out for defense of the initial reapers, then zergling speed to take back map control. Make sure to micro queens back, drones back, ect - if you don't do this, you'll lose a lot of drones.


ZvT is in a pretty shitty spot right now - expect some sort of change soon (either in balance or in meta-game). I would suggest a good overlord spread, and try to hit mid game timings (such as 2/2 muta/ling/bane or Stephano's 1/1 roach). A timing-based ZvT will give you a much better win/loss percentage than trying to macro every game.


That's pretty much what I've been doing. The downside is when you play actual good terrans that can shit on you with the newer things, and actually macro pretty well. My games vs iaguz and Theognis were almost embarrassing. The second you leave your base you're getting hit by speed medivacs full of mines and getting your 3rd sieged.
kuebk
Profile Joined September 2010
Poland15 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-12 22:36:08
March 12 2013 22:36 GMT
#9755
Are WoL builds good for HotS?
Mavvie
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Canada923 Posts
March 13 2013 02:42 GMT
#9756
wow, can someone explain to me how to deal with widow mines? it seems like at all stages of the game they're amazing against literally everything. What unit outranges them? Can anything kill them? What should my game plan be against a MMMM player? I'm having a lot of trouble with this, losing to players WAY lower ranked than me.
Getting back into sc2 O_o
-Kaiser-
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
Canada932 Posts
March 13 2013 03:36 GMT
#9757
On March 13 2013 11:42 Mavvie wrote:
wow, can someone explain to me how to deal with widow mines? it seems like at all stages of the game they're amazing against literally everything. What unit outranges them? Can anything kill them? What should my game plan be against a MMMM player? I'm having a lot of trouble with this, losing to players WAY lower ranked than me.


Keep overseers with your army. When you spot widow mines, sacrifice a unit to put them on CD and then kill them. If you have enough damage, you can kill widow mines before they fire as well if you have detection. If you can't kill them, keep in mind they have a very long CD. If they explode all over your shit, they won't be back up for 40 seconds (BT).
3 Hatch Before Cool
Azoryen
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Portugal242 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-03-13 03:49:08
March 13 2013 03:44 GMT
#9758
I believe this question applies to both WoL and HotS:
In ZvZ, if I go roaches how can I deal with ling counterattacks? The second I move my roaches out, I have 30 lings in my third...

Similarly, if I'm going roach/infestor against muta/ling/bane, he can avoid direct confrontations and use his map control to counterattack when I leave my base. What are good ways to deal with this?
Atthasit
Profile Joined July 2011
Russian Federation81 Posts
March 13 2013 06:45 GMT
#9759
On March 13 2013 12:44 Azoryen wrote:
I believe this question applies to both WoL and HotS:
In ZvZ, if I go roaches how can I deal with ling counterattacks? The second I move my roaches out, I have 30 lings in my third...

Similarly, if I'm going roach/infestor against muta/ling/bane, he can avoid direct confrontations and use his map control to counterattack when I leave my base. What are good ways to deal with this?


In WoL when roach infestor was playable you'd usually leave a few banes back at your base. Assuming you're hitting his base with your main roach army, he will have his attention there and won't be able to control lings properly so a few banes will wipe most of them and the roach reinforcements can clean up on the way to the battlefield.

Keep in mind though that roach infestor style is not viable in HotS, 10 mutas will contain you on 2 bases forever and by the time you'll finally be able to take your 3rd your opponent will have a much better economy and ground army.
Wertheron
Profile Joined October 2011
France439 Posts
March 13 2013 12:39 GMT
#9760
Hello guys, a little problem, i don't know how to post that.

I always played on grid. But in Hots it seems that they changed the building and unit button position (for exemple in azerty -french keyboard- roach is R instead of Q). Is there an option to go back to the Wol position in Grid (without changing all my buttons) ?
Prev 1 486 487 488 489 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 3
IntoTheiNu 988
ComeBackTV 874
SteadfastSC680
TaKeTV 448
IndyStarCraft 144
Rex120
EnkiAlexander 67
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 680
IndyStarCraft 144
ProTech144
Rex 120
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 50495
Bisu 1830
Horang2 1265
EffOrt 1117
Soma 619
Hyuk 591
Mini 540
BeSt 538
Light 426
Larva 418
[ Show more ]
Rush 267
ZerO 215
910 89
Mong 83
Leta 72
firebathero 69
Pusan 54
Snow 54
Sexy 45
Mind 38
ToSsGirL 36
JYJ 31
Aegong 30
Bale 21
Shine 18
Rock 16
Terrorterran 15
Noble 13
Trap 13
Sacsri 11
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7511
qojqva1050
Counter-Strike
Fnx 770
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1520
Khaldor1105
Lowko461
Other Games
singsing1999
olofmeister1496
hiko1196
Beastyqt664
B2W.Neo404
Livibee202
Hui .184
Liquid`VortiX145
XaKoH 125
ArmadaUGS107
KnowMe102
djWHEAT83
Mew2King79
QueenE65
ZerO(Twitch)15
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV206
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream84
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 11
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• poizon28 19
• mYiSmile19
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 37
• FirePhoenix10
• Michael_bg 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3064
Other Games
• Shiphtur179
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 17m
CranKy Ducklings
19h 17m
Online Event
20h 17m
FEL
1d 1h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 2h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 4h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 19h
INu's Battles
1d 21h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.