• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:59
CEST 11:59
KST 18:59
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12084 users

[G] 5 Roach Rush: early game without the all-in - Page 11

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 41 Next All
Rev0lution
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States1805 Posts
August 23 2010 16:24 GMT
#201
How does this build hold up against 3rax reaper and 5rax reaper?
My dealer is my best friend, and we don't even chill.
Rinser
Profile Joined August 2010
2 Posts
August 23 2010 16:32 GMT
#202
On August 23 2010 21:03 Mataza wrote:
Also you could and should hide your scouting drone in his base as long as you can, so you can see his tech. Knowing that he has 3 rax could have helped you survive.
And no, Muta tech takes forever to complete, so you cannot wait it out when he goes aggressive opening(3rax).

I hope this is helpful to you.


This is indeed helpful, thank you very much... you are actually right, i asked myself again and again what would have happened if i just attacked and not went back, thinking "omg techlab - MARAUDERS!!! AAAAH!". I then skipped the zerglings and zergling speed but that (and forgetting banelings) was exactly the WRONG thing to do when he was about to mass bio, which i should have known by saccing an OL... thank you very much! kept loosing today due to lack of concept, but i'll try to fight my deamons and go 5rr -> splings/muta/hydra again
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 23 2010 16:38 GMT
#203
As the hysteria over the 3 or 5 rax reaper is only a few days old, I don't know. All I do know is that every reaper attempt against me so far has failed when I do the 5RR.

http://www.gosugamers.net/starcraft2/replays/35957 (IdrA vs MorroW on XC)

The 5RR would get to his base around the 6 minute mark. At that time, MorroW has 3 reapers and a marine with 3 operational barracks. 5 roaches vs 3 reapers and a marine, with zerglings on the way. MorroW didn't scan and would not have seen the roaches until they were incoming.

I'm not going to claim it would win outright vs MorroW, but I think it would have been very strong. I know that players I've faced who had similar compositions against me have just rolled over.
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 23 2010 18:09 GMT
#204
Updated the OP with replays against 3 and 5 rax reaper. Both vs 800+ diamonds.

Today I've face 4 terrans, 3 of whom went 3 or 5 rax reaper. 2 got obliterated, and the other it was just a formality winning the game after the initial rush. The only guy who didn't reaper rush me was the guy who won against me with a hellion drop.
morimacil
Profile Joined March 2010
France921 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-23 19:07:52
August 23 2010 19:07 GMT
#205
Its a great multiplayer build too :D
[edit]Multiplayer as in 2v2/3v3/4v4/FFA
shrinkmaster
Profile Joined May 2010
Germany947 Posts
August 23 2010 20:00 GMT
#206
On August 24 2010 03:09 Fistdantilus wrote:
Today I've face 4 terrans, 3 of whom went 3 or 5 rax reaper. 2 got obliterated, and the other it was just a formality winning the game after the initial rush. The only guy who didn't reaper rush me was the guy who won against me with a hellion drop.


It's the same on EU server, seems like 95% of my terran opponents are going 3 or 5 rax reaper. It's getting really annoying. The only good thing is that most of the terrans doing this don't know when to stop making reapers and transition to something else.

As zerg you shouldn't overcommit to roaches, because the terran will switch to marauders and rape you instantly.
I use this build with a slight variaton against terran reaper builds and so far it's not that bad. If you use those 5 roaches to stay alive until ling speed is finished and you have a second queen for easy and fast creep spreading you should be in good shape.
Voltaire: The true triumph of reason is that it enables us to get along with those who do not possess it.
captive411
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States80 Posts
August 23 2010 20:44 GMT
#207
Why is roach burrow so underused? I think it kicks ass but have rarely seen pros use it.
twitter.com/stormcrack
nodq
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany123 Posts
August 23 2010 20:59 GMT
#208
On August 24 2010 05:44 captive411 wrote:
Why is roach burrow so underused? I think it kicks ass but have rarely seen pros use it.


To late to tech. Why should i use mass raoches at this stage of the game instead of mutas and/or hydras? there is no reason for that,

1. roaches ar sooo damn easy to counter for protoss and terran. its not funny at all.

2. to much upgrades needed for roaches, u need speedupgrade and upgrade to move while burrowed? AND the burrow upgrade itself? i mean wtf?!

In beta i used alot burrowed roaches until everyone knew how to counter it :D and roaches were 1 supply back then.


greets
Spawn moooaaaar Overloooaaaarddzzzz!
Grend
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
1600 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-23 22:23:18
August 23 2010 21:33 GMT
#209
Tried it in say 10 games right now. Lost 8 first when I tried being very agressive all inish with it, but then I tried for more of a poke them and take out soft targets approach, then retreat. And it works pretty well for me.

More fun than speedlings into fe at the very least. It feels good to be able to force the game in your direction for once!

After testing it some more, I`ve kind of realized that I`m just not suited for this build at all. I just fail playing it. Is it normal that there are like 2 marauders and 3-4 marines on top of the wall in when you get there with the roaches?
♞ Against the Wind - Bob Seger ♞
captive411
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States80 Posts
August 23 2010 21:37 GMT
#210
On August 24 2010 05:59 nodq wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 24 2010 05:44 captive411 wrote:
Why is roach burrow so underused? I think it kicks ass but have rarely seen pros use it.


To late to tech. Why should i use mass raoches at this stage of the game instead of mutas and/or hydras? there is no reason for that,

1. roaches ar sooo damn easy to counter for protoss and terran. its not funny at all.

2. to much upgrades needed for roaches, u need speedupgrade and upgrade to move while burrowed? AND the burrow upgrade itself? i mean wtf?!

In beta i used alot burrowed roaches until everyone knew how to counter it :D and roaches were 1 supply back then.


greets


Burrow in general seems to be un-used in high lvl. I know it takes a bit to tech, but you can tech it out of one lair while getting other upgrades. Helps to get a nice surround imo (then again I only play against crappy player because i'm noob.)
twitter.com/stormcrack
KiaL.Kiwi
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany210 Posts
August 23 2010 22:35 GMT
#211
Just wanted to thank you for sharing this strategy. When I first read it I wasn't very enthusiastic, but at least in ZvT it worked very well for me in the last few games. Terrans just don't seem to expect any kind of pressure before mutas and very completly suprised by those 5 roaches.
Myrkur
Profile Joined February 2010
United States34 Posts
August 24 2010 01:16 GMT
#212
I also want to thank you for this Strategy. I went 7-1 with it tonight, losing to a zerg that got a great baneling play on me(hit 4 drones i think). 3-1 against Zerg, 2-0 against Protoss, 2-0 against Terran.

The last game I played was against someone trying to do 5 rax reaper against me, and this shut it down. He was able to kill 3 of my Roaches cause he had 2 marauders pop right when I showed up, but I broke in and wave after wave of zergling ended it 1:30 later.

I feel very confident with this build. It transitions so well into other builds and it is shutting down a lot of powerful builds that have been plaguing FE Zerg, and 1 base speedling zerg for a while.

Had a close game against a 4gate rush where we met in middle. 5 roaches vs 6(?) Zealots. I won but it took a while to get to his base and start killing it. I spammed roaches till he got stalkers then came in with speedlings.

Very Solid Build, you rock!
loafmaster
Profile Joined August 2006
United States203 Posts
August 24 2010 02:04 GMT
#213
This build is awesome! I am getting very good results with it vs terran and protoss. However, I lose to protoss very convincingly when he techs to phoenixes.

Basically he had a couple stalkers with a sentry to hold off his ramp with very good use of force field. Of course, like stated in the OP, i back teched to lings immediately. With some OL useage I was even able to see that he had a stargate so I started building more queens and started lair tech right away. But that's exactly the problem. It was way too late to try and get hydra. The first phoenix goes around sniping outlier overlords, then once he reaches a 3-4 he can easily graviton the queens and kill them, which soon renders ALL your overlords completely helpless, not just the outlier ones. Of course then he expands, gets a way better economy, masses stalkers, colossi, sentries and steamrolls you.

What's a good way to transition from 5RR to something that would stop this? Perhaps delaying expanding even further and tech to lair sooner? I can't imagine zerg getting ahead by delaying the expo anymore than this though.
Fistdantilus
Profile Joined August 2010
United States136 Posts
August 24 2010 02:36 GMT
#214
On August 24 2010 11:04 loafmaster wrote:
This build is awesome! I am getting very good results with it vs terran and protoss. However, I lose to protoss very convincingly when he techs to phoenixes.

Basically he had a couple stalkers with a sentry to hold off his ramp with very good use of force field. Of course, like stated in the OP, i back teched to lings immediately. With some OL useage I was even able to see that he had a stargate so I started building more queens and started lair tech right away. But that's exactly the problem. It was way too late to try and get hydra. The first phoenix goes around sniping outlier overlords, then once he reaches a 3-4 he can easily graviton the queens and kill them, which soon renders ALL your overlords completely helpless, not just the outlier ones. Of course then he expands, gets a way better economy, masses stalkers, colossi, sentries and steamrolls you.

What's a good way to transition from 5RR to something that would stop this? Perhaps delaying expanding even further and tech to lair sooner? I can't imagine zerg getting ahead by delaying the expo anymore than this though.


Good question.

I've tried skipping the expansion and teching to lair, but find it strictly worse than expanding as you don't have the larvae to do everything you want. I think it may work in some situations and it's possible I just haven't smoothed out the details, but it's definitely something to keep in mind.

Regarding anything stargate: start on the second and third queens ASAP as well as getting an evo chamber. You have time, and your opponent sacrificed his army strength to get phoenix which aren't great in a fight.
delaharl
Profile Joined August 2010
Philippines5 Posts
August 24 2010 02:53 GMT
#215
On August 24 2010 11:04 loafmaster wrote:
What's a good way to transition from 5RR to something that would stop this? Perhaps delaying expanding even further and tech to lair sooner? I can't imagine zerg getting ahead by delaying the expo anymore than this though.

If it were me, I'd already have an OL in his base, checking out his other buildings. If its a Stargate, it means either pheonix or void ray.

Once my initial push fails, I'll upgrade to lair immidietly, along with making a evo chamber. Get a spore crawler in your bases, and see if its a void ray or pheoniz that comes out. go for a hydra den if pheonix, or muta on void rays. Build an extra queen. Your present queens should start making creep tumors, and meanwhile, my zerglings are going around, scouting for his expansions.

I don't know how I'll succeed though.

Any thoughts guys?
pnoize
Profile Joined August 2010
Philippines4 Posts
August 24 2010 03:31 GMT
#216
On August 24 2010 11:53 delaharl wrote:
If it were me, I'd already have an OL in his base, checking out his other buildings. If its a Stargate, it means either pheonix or void ray.

Once my initial push fails, I'll upgrade to lair immidietly, along with making a evo chamber. Get a spore crawler in your bases, and see if its a void ray or pheoniz that comes out. go for a hydra den if pheonix, or muta on void rays. Build an extra queen. Your present queens should start making creep tumors, and meanwhile, my zerglings are going around, scouting for his expansions.

I don't know how I'll succeed though.

Any thoughts guys?

I think a standard transition to mutas should suffice though, since it's already a viable path down from the 5RR. Protoss air I find fails against mass mutas.
delaharl
Profile Joined August 2010
Philippines5 Posts
August 24 2010 04:25 GMT
#217
True.

I'm now having a few problems with the timing. Seems I can't push through to some players. It definitely helps to attack when you're zerglings are on the way already, that way, when the supply goes down, in comes the lings.
Alsn
Profile Joined February 2008
Sweden995 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-24 05:55:32
August 24 2010 05:50 GMT
#218
Note: I use a modified version where I 12 pool 14 gas in order to have an earlier queen and get a few more lings earlier(or drones, if I decide that I need them). I also upgrade speed before making roaches and typically only make 4 roaches as I find that they are more than enough(and I simply don't have enough gas at that point ^^). It's the lings that provide the pressure, the roaches just open the door so to speak.

Analysis of the build vs protoss:

Against 2gate, I would recommend simply making the 4-5 roaches and powering drones. It seems that if you try to attack your force will be demolished since you wont be able to bust in before they get a cyb core and a stalker or two up and at that point you are in some deep shit(they can just counter-attack and force the instant gg). It depends on the map and their building placement though but the fact of the matter is that any dangerous follow up such as 4gate will come almost a minute later due to their later cyb core which means you can power drones that much harder. Not taking advantage would be a mistake in my opinion.

Against 1base 1gate+cyb: It depends on the map/ramp layout, but if they chrono boost 2 sentries out instead of chronoing their warp gate tech, the sheer amount of force fields they can produce to stall you while getting a stalker or two up is just too much to handle. If you see them chronoing their cyb core however it is almost a guaranteed win as they will have at most 1-2 zealots and maybe a sentry when you come knocking. Many people even as high as 900 diamond will actually go completely all in and just wall with a single zeal hoping that warpgate tech will finish the game for them.

Against 1gate forge FE. It depends a lot on their wall and their building sequence, if they went 1gate nexus before forge, you can usually bust through no problem. If they went 1gate forge and cannons to wall their choke before nexus, you will be throwing your units away. If they do however, you can just safely drone whore all the way to mutas and just harass them while taking the entire map. Just have to watch out for phoenixes.

What I find the major advantage of preparing a build like this from the get go is that on 2player maps, your overlord will be able to scout exactly what is coming before you have to commit to making the roaches and I believe that is the strength of this build. You can opt to simply not do it if it turns out it would be disadvantageous to go through with it.

I'll look at providing some replays to support my musings(haven't saved any lately) but I think most of what I'm saying is pretty self evident.

All in all, it's a really nice opening option that fills a hole of zergs weak early game that I never knew could be filled. It just simply never crossed my mind that getting both ling speed and investing in roaches could be a good idea so I never tried it and once I did, it was a very pleasant surprise. Thank you Fistdantilus!
Machina improba! Vel mihi ede potum vel mihi redde nummos meos!
f0rk
Profile Joined March 2010
England172 Posts
August 24 2010 10:11 GMT
#219
On August 24 2010 14:50 Alsn wrote:
Against 1base 1gate+cyb: It depends on the map/ramp layout, but if they chrono boost 2 sentries out instead of chronoing their warp gate tech, the sheer amount of force fields they can produce to stall you while getting a stalker or two up is just too much to handle. If you see them chronoing their cyb core however it is almost a guaranteed win as they will have at most 1-2 zealots and maybe a sentry when you come knocking. Many people even as high as 900 diamond will actually go completely all in and just wall with a single zeal hoping that warpgate tech will finish the game for them.



This is exactly my experiance, I got 3 roaches up to the zealot before he could forcefield, and from there soaked a lot of damage and busted in just as warp gate was finishing. Then it was simply pumping lings (and a few more roaches I think) to easily keep up the pressure and stop 2 big of an army warping in off 4 gates.

Frost-Duty
Profile Joined May 2010
United Kingdom10 Posts
August 24 2010 13:19 GMT
#220
I LOVE this build. Kudos to you sir for creating it.

Having major success against protoss and terran. P has been especially fun, as this build PUNISHES teching so badly. Have beated 2 void ray rushers so far. 5 roaches come up and they just pound through the door and are followed by a bunch of lings. Its GG. Even with a stalker or 2 out im finding the roaches give as good as they get, and then the lings finish off.

Vs T i have actually had less success, mainly i think due to kulas ravine popping up a few times, and the HUGE walk distance making my roaches arrive a little late.

But overall a great build, includes an FE and provides a huge amount of early game pressure.
Seems far better than banelings VS T. They WILL get the front supply depot down, and the they can wander in and assault!
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 41 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 7265
Horang2 553
BeSt 469
Hyuk 453
Stork 161
sorry 116
Pusan 85
Killer 80
Shinee 78
Hyun 68
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 62
Bonyth 49
Snow 47
Mind 36
Bale 34
Hm[arnc] 32
JYJ 22
Sacsri 20
Noble 7
Dota 2
XcaliburYe23
League of Legends
JimRising 493
Other Games
gofns28931
singsing2077
ArmadaUGS74
Mew2King71
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick685
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream155
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 59
• Adnapsc2 22
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 5
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2299
League of Legends
• Lourlo1522
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2m
CranKy Ducklings19
INu's Battles
2h 2m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
5h 2m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 2m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 2m
Replay Cast
13h 2m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 1h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.