• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:25
CEST 12:25
KST 19:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2314
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12019 users

[D] ZvT One Base Muta - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-20 16:34:19
August 20 2010 16:25 GMT
#21
On August 20 2010 23:35 s[O]rry wrote:
The only push your mutas will kill in the middle of the map is one that has no marines. Like... Zero. If they are pure tank/marauder then yeah, you are going to win, but from what I have seen most terrans see that lair and don't think "Glial Reconstitution roaches!'. They just think "Hmm, either roaches or mutas. May as well make a few marines and marauders and win."


This is incorrect. Mutas will kill and equal number of marines with 0-1 losses every time. Unless T is doing a straight up pure marine build, your mutas will be able to kill off what units he has that shoot up. The exception to this would be a T player who gets 5+ marines and a fast Thor. In this case, this build definitely struggles.

On August 20 2010 23:33 DarkSeerTurbo wrote:
i'm going to respectfully disagree with the OP. this is very much all in (in a passive way rather than the all-in offensive attacks that "all in" is normally associated with). you're basically relying on the Terran to do nothing until mutas come out. that is unrealistic in most games. also, you are expecting them to have no anti air. their first t1 unit is anti air. i know you mentioned the roach warren to trick them and all, but i feel this is all way too optimistic thinking. chances are, you will get hit and/or your mutas will face opposition at Terran's base. and then you will get shut down with one attack group going to your main. i have no doubt that your plan will work on some games, but in the majority of games, against a decent Terran player, this will not work.


The overwhelming majority of popular T builds these days rely on some sort of early aggression. Be it Marine/Tank, Marine/Marauder, Early Banshees, Reaper plays, Early Hellions... This build specifically counters that style of play. Think of it like a mutalisk timing attack.

On August 20 2010 23:58 brad drac wrote:
I've been tinkering with a variant of this where I get my lair before queen and I do get some roaches out to defend. With good spotting, you can drop a couple of spines to defend against a heavy bio push. This way you can get the spire out before terran gets thors and a good bit faster than most would expect. If you think this strategy is all in, I don't think you understand what the term means. It does sacrifice a lot of economy for early harassment, but when the mutas pop, it will allow you to grab your expansion as it'll almost certainly pin T back to his base. Getting away with FEs as zerg is increasingly difficult, I think one base builds are a lot safer.

Here's a replay of my first attempt at this: http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/2374
I'm not and do not claim to be a very skilled player(supply blocked myself as the spire finished durp), and my opponent really should've reacted better when he scanned my hive, but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if it's actually viable.


All-in plays rely on a single act to determine the outcome of the game. This isn't the case here. This is a one base timing attack that expands as soon as the aggression starts. The only sacrifice you make to your economy is getting your natural up slower, since you're producing pure drones until your mutas pop. (that's approximately 30 supply worth of drones. Ample for one base) This build is very similar in concept to the 2 hatch muta builds that became so popular in BW about a year ago. Aggressive, but safe against 90% of Terran openings.

Also - in regards to your replay - that build just straight up wasn't this one... You got lair before queen, your second gas was late, you built 6 roaches, you got a 2nd queen before mutas, you didn't hide your spire, and you only made 2 mutas initially... Run the build as its detailed in the OP and then come back with an opinion. If nothing else, at least watch the replays before making baseless comments against it.
Roconar
Profile Joined May 2010
United States30 Posts
August 20 2010 19:53 GMT
#22
If it looks so obvious that you are going to be teching muta, why not tech hydras (+drop tech) instead? The start is the same, and the gas cost of hydras is a bit cheaper, so you can afford to get ol speed and drop tech. Also, if they expect muta/roach, then they probably won't make many siege tanks, and those are the main drawback to hydras in zvt.

Side note: Overlords are armored, so a drop is relatively safe, even if they do have thors.
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
August 20 2010 20:58 GMT
#23
On August 21 2010 04:53 Roconar wrote:
If it looks so obvious that you are going to be teching muta, why not tech hydras (+drop tech) instead? The start is the same, and the gas cost of hydras is a bit cheaper, so you can afford to get ol speed and drop tech. Also, if they expect muta/roach, then they probably won't make many siege tanks, and those are the main drawback to hydras in zvt.

Side note: Overlords are armored, so a drop is relatively safe, even if they do have thors.


o.O

Because you can't start to research drop until lair. You need speed as well and you're on one hatch. Mutas are infinitely better harass than hydras.

Your post doesn't seem relevant to this thread at all...
Chex
Profile Joined May 2010
United States87 Posts
August 20 2010 21:16 GMT
#24
How much does getting speed delay this build? It seems that after your queen finishes if you still have drones on gas you could immediately start lair and still have speed if you need it? Just curious.

I understand the threat of roaches forces some response from Terran but if he pokes you just a bit, with roaches you will be delaying your mutas a good bit whereas lings plus those crawlers will, in my opinion, still let u get your mutas out in the numbers you have.

Two things that I would say about a build like this are 1. you will need excellent scouting to be able to react to T early pushes and 2. it might be interesting to show banelings instead of roaches to make the Terran worry about a 1 base all in baneling bust.

Also, to those who cry all in. Sen has done a similar but safer build for a while. I would shy away from the absolute need to hide all tech or trick your opponent because a good player will still react well, but I like the idea behind this build.

Finally, if you use your mutas well, spending all gas on them and then expanding, you could use the time to double expand.
Bull-Demon
Profile Joined January 2003
United States582 Posts
August 20 2010 21:23 GMT
#25
This build takes a lot of practice. First few times I tried it I sucked balls and was steamrolled. Once you get better at micro, and don't run away like a pussy at the first sight of a thor, you'll find it to be very good.
~_~
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-20 22:11:20
August 20 2010 21:46 GMT
#26
On August 21 2010 06:16 Chex wrote:
How much does getting speed delay this build? It seems that after your queen finishes if you still have drones on gas you could immediately start lair and still have speed if you need it? Just curious.

I understand the threat of roaches forces some response from Terran but if he pokes you just a bit, with roaches you will be delaying your mutas a good bit whereas lings plus those crawlers will, in my opinion, still let u get your mutas out in the numbers you have.

Two things that I would say about a build like this are 1. you will need excellent scouting to be able to react to T early pushes and 2. it might be interesting to show banelings instead of roaches to make the Terran worry about a 1 base all in baneling bust.

Also, to those who cry all in. Sen has done a similar but safer build for a while. I would shy away from the absolute need to hide all tech or trick your opponent because a good player will still react well, but I like the idea behind this build.

Finally, if you use your mutas well, spending all gas on them and then expanding, you could use the time to double expand.


Good post =)

Speed doesn't slow the build down, it just means 1 less muta when your spire finishes.

Blings might be a worthwhile trick to try. I use the Roach Warren because it doesn't cost any gas.

I have double expod off this build before with success. Just taking one expo allows you to keep up some pressure with roaches, though, and I think I prefer that style.

Edit: Also in response to speed - The build is cutting units unless they're absolutely necessary. Making 2-3 roaches in this case, is a lot safer than trying to defend with 4-6 zerglings. Speed or not...
Brutus
Profile Joined May 2010
Netherlands284 Posts
August 21 2010 00:11 GMT
#27
I used the sen variant of this build and it seems that it is an instant loss vs every single early bio push. Your mutas cannot stop marines effectively and marauders takes ages to kill. And since you have no zergling speed hellion harass will be a pain because mutas are not fast enough at killing them. The helios are too fast and will do too much damage before you can kill them.

I think 2 base muta is muchbetter because you actually have enough gas to pump mutas. Open speedling into expand and go roaches for the helios and reapers. Take 4 geysers while teching lair and make mutas. I thinK that build is much safer. Just my 2c
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
August 21 2010 01:31 GMT
#28
On August 21 2010 09:11 Brutus wrote:
I used the sen variant of this build and it seems that it is an instant loss vs every single early bio push. Your mutas cannot stop marines effectively and marauders takes ages to kill. And since you have no zergling speed hellion harass will be a pain because mutas are not fast enough at killing them. The helios are too fast and will do too much damage before you can kill them.

I think 2 base muta is muchbetter because you actually have enough gas to pump mutas. Open speedling into expand and go roaches for the helios and reapers. Take 4 geysers while teching lair and make mutas. I thinK that build is much safer. Just my 2c


Hellion harass will have to deal with spines, queen and roaches (if you feel the need) back home.

A crazy marine all-in would pump out more marines than your mutas can handle, but against equal numbers, mutas dominate marines. The vast majority of T builds these days don't get more than 5-7 marines in time for this build's muta harass.

If they build more than that - don't engage the marines. That's why its called harass. As long as you don't suicide your units, you have map control and can expand freely.

Virtually every "this would never work" scenario that keeps coming up here is covered in replays. Go watch a few of them.
Floophead_III
Profile Joined September 2009
United States1832 Posts
August 21 2010 02:14 GMT
#29
If you're going to cheese, do it off of something stupid aggressive like 10 pool 9 gas. It doesn't matter how many mutas you have out, it matters when.
Half man, half bear, half pig.
ruiyang
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
252 Posts
August 21 2010 02:42 GMT
#30
This doesnt work once u get higher pts. Im close to 900pts now and ive been beating T with a modified sen build. (1base sling into 5+muta into exp+2 preemptive infestors vs marines into late game tech) However, some pushes (the one that comes right before or after u started to saturate ur natural) own my ass.. Sure, i can deal with marine/thor push once i have bling and infestors, but add a couple of tanks (2-3siege tanks+20marine+maybe a thor or 2) and I cant stop them before ultra comes nd safe the day.. Havent really tried massing the mutas since i only use 5 or so for map controll and havent really tried massing roaches (which is probably prertty good with speed). But even if i stopped the push, a good terrans will start building CC the moment ur muta fly out due to 2 pre emptive turrets+15marines. Once u have 2 base he'll be on 2 aswell. If he stays passive u win, if he moves out before ulta's pop and ur on 3 base gas u lose. (again, havent tried going mass roach yet, which doesnt seem to bad if he goes mass marine with fewer tank/thor support)
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
August 21 2010 02:48 GMT
#31
On August 21 2010 11:42 ruiyang wrote:
This doesnt work once u get higher pts. Im close to 900pts now and ive been beating T with a modified sen build. (1base sling into 5+muta into exp+2 preemptive infestors vs marines into late game tech) However, some pushes (the one that comes right before or after u started to saturate ur natural) own my ass.. Sure, i can deal with marine/thor push once i have bling and infestors, but add a couple of tanks (2-3siege tanks+20marine+maybe a thor or 2) and I cant stop them before ultra comes nd safe the day.. Havent really tried massing the mutas since i only use 5 or so for map controll and havent really tried massing roaches (which is probably prertty good with speed). But even if i stopped the push, a good terrans will start building CC the moment ur muta fly out due to 2 pre emptive turrets+15marines. Once u have 2 base he'll be on 2 aswell. If he stays passive u win, if he moves out before ulta's pop and ur on 3 base gas u lose. (again, havent tried going mass roach yet, which doesnt seem to bad if he goes mass marine with fewer tank/thor support)


But this isn't a Sen build. Its straight muta expand that takes advantage of most (not all) Terran one base plays.

I'm between 750-800 right now, and am winning with this build left and right. Maybe it'll get harder in 100 more points. We'll see.
ruiyang
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
252 Posts
August 21 2010 03:03 GMT
#32
I didnt see the replay yet as im on my iphone. But basing on your first post and w/o watching thereplays, i think we are both talking about the same build as we get our mutas out pretty much same time and both expand right before or during the time we get our mutas. 14gas, 14pool, pool finish i start queen and upgr speed (exactly 100gas), queens pops start lair (again exactly 100gas), take gas nr2 right away and start placing overlord for spire. Only diff is that you build a roach warren so he might get confused with making units (which is a pretty good idea) Sorry if i misunderstood and I'm talking bout 2 completely diff builds. I'll def try out ur build tmrw and watch the replays cus in my experience, the mass tank/marine timing push demolishes me cus good T spams marines +1-2 thor support with mass siege tanks v Z (no super early push but after he secured nd saturated his 2nd base right after me)
sikyon
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada1045 Posts
August 21 2010 03:15 GMT
#33
Mass reaper openings are very common and this build is going to get shit on. Mass reaper is not an all in- there is no way to stop mass reapers without a large counter army because of their building damage and the potential for a marauder followup if you spam roaches.
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-21 03:44:03
August 21 2010 03:24 GMT
#34
On August 21 2010 12:15 sikyon wrote:
Mass reaper openings are very common and this build is going to get shit on. Mass reaper is not an all in- there is no way to stop mass reapers without a large counter army because of their building damage and the potential for a marauder followup if you spam roaches.


I've not run into mass reaper with this build yet. Its on my list of things to test, though. I will post a replay if I can make it work.

Obviously no one build will work 100% of the time, guys...

Edit: lol, first game after making this post I get a T who goes mass reaper:
http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/2403

He manages to snipe my spire, but not before I get 6 roaches and 5 mutas out. I started pumping roaches early, sacrificing a couple mutas, because I felt like he was up to something sneaky.

Sadly he didn't play it out. He just quit as soon as the mutas entered his base.
Nazza
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Australia1654 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-21 03:37:30
August 21 2010 03:28 GMT
#35
What about a Baneling Nest fake (In addition to a Roach Warren)? Wouldn't that discourage the use of marines, and promote ST usage? That would make the muta harass more effective, right?

No one ever remembers second place, eh? eh? GIVE ME COMMAND
brad drac
Profile Joined May 2010
Ireland202 Posts
August 21 2010 03:40 GMT
#36
[B]On August 21 2010 01:25 MrBitter wrote:[/B
Show nested quote +
On August 20 2010 23:58 brad drac wrote:
I've been tinkering with a variant of this where I get my lair before queen and I do get some roaches out to defend. With good spotting, you can drop a couple of spines to defend against a heavy bio push. This way you can get the spire out before terran gets thors and a good bit faster than most would expect. If you think this strategy is all in, I don't think you understand what the term means. It does sacrifice a lot of economy for early harassment, but when the mutas pop, it will allow you to grab your expansion as it'll almost certainly pin T back to his base. Getting away with FEs as zerg is increasingly difficult, I think one base builds are a lot safer.

Here's a replay of my first attempt at this: http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/2374
I'm not and do not claim to be a very skilled player(supply blocked myself as the spire finished durp), and my opponent really should've reacted better when he scanned my hive, but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if it's actually viable.


All-in plays rely on a single act to determine the outcome of the game. This isn't the case here. This is a one base timing attack that expands as soon as the aggression starts. The only sacrifice you make to your economy is getting your natural up slower, since you're producing pure drones until your mutas pop. (that's approximately 30 supply worth of drones. Ample for one base) This build is very similar in concept to the 2 hatch muta builds that became so popular in BW about a year ago. Aggressive, but safe against 90% of Terran openings.

Also - in regards to your replay - that build just straight up wasn't this one... You got lair before queen, your second gas was late, you built 6 roaches, you got a 2nd queen before mutas, you didn't hide your spire, and you only made 2 mutas initially... Run the build as its detailed in the OP and then come back with an opinion. If nothing else, at least watch the replays before making baseless comments against it.

I don't think you understood my post. I have nothing against one base muta, I think it's a great build and one I've been using for quite a while. My post was about the possibility of a build where you make the lair before your first queen. Seeing as this is a [d] thread and not a [g] thread, I did not consider it inappropriate to post here to see if anyone thinks it's a viable alternative, just to get the mutas out as fast as possible so the terran player won't have had his usual time to prepare(as in fairness, who doesn't expect mutas from a one base zerg?). I realise, as I mentioned, I'm a low skill player and I made a lot of mistakes that game, mainly because it was my first proper attempt and I was just making it up on the fly, stress testing it to see how a terran would respond(hence not hiding the spire).

What I said about all ins was in response to the other posters who called one base muta all in. It is absolutely not(as I pretty clearly said), it just sacrifices the presumed economic boost of a very fast expo for the chance of doing some damage with a strong timing push.
Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.
InfiniteIce
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States794 Posts
August 21 2010 03:43 GMT
#37
Too many deprecating posts in this thread...for all you detractors, where are your replays?

In response to OP's post, 1base muta like this does work pretty well. I often skip the queen and get it when the lair finishes ((it, and the extra larva, will pop around the time your spire finishes)), especially on smaller maps like LT. [Yes, it's a 4-player map, but regardless of spawns the air and ground distances are pretty small...compare it to something like Kulas Ravine or Delta Quadrant]

I hadn't been able to find an appropriate followup to this thought, I think the roach flooding might work, as I had previously been teching to hive ASAP (infestation pit right after my first 6-7 mutas pop, straight to hive) but had found myself vulnerable to a base trading terran. Roach flood might be a nice followthrough, as OP suggests..
i keep going back to my response to chill's fake PM and laughing, then immediately getting a feeling that i assume i'd get if i had an orgasm and the girl said "hahaha guess what i have a dick" -FakeSteve
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
August 21 2010 03:49 GMT
#38
On August 21 2010 12:40 brad drac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2010 01:25 MrBitter wrote:[/B
On August 20 2010 23:58 brad drac wrote:
I've been tinkering with a variant of this where I get my lair before queen and I do get some roaches out to defend. With good spotting, you can drop a couple of spines to defend against a heavy bio push. This way you can get the spire out before terran gets thors and a good bit faster than most would expect. If you think this strategy is all in, I don't think you understand what the term means. It does sacrifice a lot of economy for early harassment, but when the mutas pop, it will allow you to grab your expansion as it'll almost certainly pin T back to his base. Getting away with FEs as zerg is increasingly difficult, I think one base builds are a lot safer.

Here's a replay of my first attempt at this: http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/2374
I'm not and do not claim to be a very skilled player(supply blocked myself as the spire finished durp), and my opponent really should've reacted better when he scanned my hive, but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if it's actually viable.


All-in plays rely on a single act to determine the outcome of the game. This isn't the case here. This is a one base timing attack that expands as soon as the aggression starts. The only sacrifice you make to your economy is getting your natural up slower, since you're producing pure drones until your mutas pop. (that's approximately 30 supply worth of drones. Ample for one base) This build is very similar in concept to the 2 hatch muta builds that became so popular in BW about a year ago. Aggressive, but safe against 90% of Terran openings.

Also - in regards to your replay - that build just straight up wasn't this one... You got lair before queen, your second gas was late, you built 6 roaches, you got a 2nd queen before mutas, you didn't hide your spire, and you only made 2 mutas initially... Run the build as its detailed in the OP and then come back with an opinion. If nothing else, at least watch the replays before making baseless comments against it.

I don't think you understood my post. I have nothing against one base muta, I think it's a great build and one I've been using for quite a while. My post was about the possibility of a build where you make the lair before your first queen. Seeing as this is a [d] thread and not a [g] thread, I did not consider it inappropriate to post here to see if anyone thinks it's a viable alternative, just to get the mutas out as fast as possible so the terran player won't have had his usual time to prepare(as in fairness, who doesn't expect mutas from a one base zerg?). I realise, as I mentioned, I'm a low skill player and I made a lot of mistakes that game, mainly because it was my first proper attempt and I was just making it up on the fly, stress testing it to see how a terran would respond(hence not hiding the spire).

What I said about all ins was in response to the other posters who called one base muta all in. It is absolutely not(as I pretty clearly said), it just sacrifices the presumed economic boost of a very fast expo for the chance of doing some damage with a strong timing push.


Apologies - Just trying to respond to everyone's feedback. I guess the claws come out a little when its so overwhelmingly negative.

[B]On August 20 2010 23:58 brad drac wrote:
I've been tinkering with a variant of this where I get my lair before queen and I do get some roaches out to defend. With good spotting, you can drop a couple of spines to defend against a heavy bio push. This way you can get the spire out before terran gets thors and a good bit faster than most would expect. If you think this strategy is all in, I don't think you understand what the term means. It does sacrifice a lot of economy for early harassment, but when the mutas pop, it will allow you to grab your expansion as it'll almost certainly pin T back to his base. Getting away with FEs as zerg is increasingly difficult, I think one base builds are a lot safer.

Here's a replay of my first attempt at this: http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/2374
I'm not and do not claim to be a very skilled player(supply blocked myself as the spire finished durp), and my opponent really should've reacted better when he scanned my hive, but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if it's actually viable.


I messed around with some Lair before queen builds as well, but I felt like doing that was putting yourself pretty all-in. You lose quite a few drones - both by virtue of speeding everything up, and by missing out on a larvae spit or two.

That said, going straight to lair is a little bit faster. Just remember that speeding it up also means less money in your pocket, making that roach switch a little bit more difficult.
brad drac
Profile Joined May 2010
Ireland202 Posts
August 21 2010 03:59 GMT
#39
On August 21 2010 12:49 MrBitter wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2010 12:40 brad drac wrote:
On August 21 2010 01:25 MrBitter wrote:[/B
On August 20 2010 23:58 brad drac wrote:
I've been tinkering with a variant of this where I get my lair before queen and I do get some roaches out to defend. With good spotting, you can drop a couple of spines to defend against a heavy bio push. This way you can get the spire out before terran gets thors and a good bit faster than most would expect. If you think this strategy is all in, I don't think you understand what the term means. It does sacrifice a lot of economy for early harassment, but when the mutas pop, it will allow you to grab your expansion as it'll almost certainly pin T back to his base. Getting away with FEs as zerg is increasingly difficult, I think one base builds are a lot safer.

Here's a replay of my first attempt at this: http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/2374
I'm not and do not claim to be a very skilled player(supply blocked myself as the spire finished durp), and my opponent really should've reacted better when he scanned my hive, but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if it's actually viable.


All-in plays rely on a single act to determine the outcome of the game. This isn't the case here. This is a one base timing attack that expands as soon as the aggression starts. The only sacrifice you make to your economy is getting your natural up slower, since you're producing pure drones until your mutas pop. (that's approximately 30 supply worth of drones. Ample for one base) This build is very similar in concept to the 2 hatch muta builds that became so popular in BW about a year ago. Aggressive, but safe against 90% of Terran openings.

Also - in regards to your replay - that build just straight up wasn't this one... You got lair before queen, your second gas was late, you built 6 roaches, you got a 2nd queen before mutas, you didn't hide your spire, and you only made 2 mutas initially... Run the build as its detailed in the OP and then come back with an opinion. If nothing else, at least watch the replays before making baseless comments against it.

I don't think you understood my post. I have nothing against one base muta, I think it's a great build and one I've been using for quite a while. My post was about the possibility of a build where you make the lair before your first queen. Seeing as this is a [d] thread and not a [g] thread, I did not consider it inappropriate to post here to see if anyone thinks it's a viable alternative, just to get the mutas out as fast as possible so the terran player won't have had his usual time to prepare(as in fairness, who doesn't expect mutas from a one base zerg?). I realise, as I mentioned, I'm a low skill player and I made a lot of mistakes that game, mainly because it was my first proper attempt and I was just making it up on the fly, stress testing it to see how a terran would respond(hence not hiding the spire).

What I said about all ins was in response to the other posters who called one base muta all in. It is absolutely not(as I pretty clearly said), it just sacrifices the presumed economic boost of a very fast expo for the chance of doing some damage with a strong timing push.


Apologies - Just trying to respond to everyone's feedback. I guess the claws come out a little when its so overwhelmingly negative.

Show nested quote +
[B]On August 20 2010 23:58 brad drac wrote:
I've been tinkering with a variant of this where I get my lair before queen and I do get some roaches out to defend. With good spotting, you can drop a couple of spines to defend against a heavy bio push. This way you can get the spire out before terran gets thors and a good bit faster than most would expect. If you think this strategy is all in, I don't think you understand what the term means. It does sacrifice a lot of economy for early harassment, but when the mutas pop, it will allow you to grab your expansion as it'll almost certainly pin T back to his base. Getting away with FEs as zerg is increasingly difficult, I think one base builds are a lot safer.

Here's a replay of my first attempt at this: http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/2374
I'm not and do not claim to be a very skilled player(supply blocked myself as the spire finished durp), and my opponent really should've reacted better when he scanned my hive, but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if it's actually viable.


I messed around with some Lair before queen builds as well, but I felt like doing that was putting yourself pretty all-in. You lose quite a few drones - both by virtue of speeding everything up, and by missing out on a larvae spit or two.

That said, going straight to lair is a little bit faster. Just remember that speeding it up also means less money in your pocket, making that roach switch a little bit more difficult.

It works out more or less exactly as mutalisks out 50s sooner at the cost of 8 larva, assuming perfect injection timing, no early creep tumour, and all larvae would be used as soon as they pop(are they with your build? I don't have SC2 on this computer so I can't check). Whether this 50s is worth it or not needs to be tested against a variety of builds to see, but I think in many cases it could well be.
Saying what we think gives us a wider conversational range than saying what we know.
MrBitter
Profile Joined January 2008
United States2940 Posts
August 21 2010 04:06 GMT
#40
On August 21 2010 12:59 brad drac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 21 2010 12:49 MrBitter wrote:
On August 21 2010 12:40 brad drac wrote:
On August 21 2010 01:25 MrBitter wrote:[/B
On August 20 2010 23:58 brad drac wrote:
I've been tinkering with a variant of this where I get my lair before queen and I do get some roaches out to defend. With good spotting, you can drop a couple of spines to defend against a heavy bio push. This way you can get the spire out before terran gets thors and a good bit faster than most would expect. If you think this strategy is all in, I don't think you understand what the term means. It does sacrifice a lot of economy for early harassment, but when the mutas pop, it will allow you to grab your expansion as it'll almost certainly pin T back to his base. Getting away with FEs as zerg is increasingly difficult, I think one base builds are a lot safer.

Here's a replay of my first attempt at this: http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/2374
I'm not and do not claim to be a very skilled player(supply blocked myself as the spire finished durp), and my opponent really should've reacted better when he scanned my hive, but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if it's actually viable.


All-in plays rely on a single act to determine the outcome of the game. This isn't the case here. This is a one base timing attack that expands as soon as the aggression starts. The only sacrifice you make to your economy is getting your natural up slower, since you're producing pure drones until your mutas pop. (that's approximately 30 supply worth of drones. Ample for one base) This build is very similar in concept to the 2 hatch muta builds that became so popular in BW about a year ago. Aggressive, but safe against 90% of Terran openings.

Also - in regards to your replay - that build just straight up wasn't this one... You got lair before queen, your second gas was late, you built 6 roaches, you got a 2nd queen before mutas, you didn't hide your spire, and you only made 2 mutas initially... Run the build as its detailed in the OP and then come back with an opinion. If nothing else, at least watch the replays before making baseless comments against it.

I don't think you understood my post. I have nothing against one base muta, I think it's a great build and one I've been using for quite a while. My post was about the possibility of a build where you make the lair before your first queen. Seeing as this is a [d] thread and not a [g] thread, I did not consider it inappropriate to post here to see if anyone thinks it's a viable alternative, just to get the mutas out as fast as possible so the terran player won't have had his usual time to prepare(as in fairness, who doesn't expect mutas from a one base zerg?). I realise, as I mentioned, I'm a low skill player and I made a lot of mistakes that game, mainly because it was my first proper attempt and I was just making it up on the fly, stress testing it to see how a terran would respond(hence not hiding the spire).

What I said about all ins was in response to the other posters who called one base muta all in. It is absolutely not(as I pretty clearly said), it just sacrifices the presumed economic boost of a very fast expo for the chance of doing some damage with a strong timing push.


Apologies - Just trying to respond to everyone's feedback. I guess the claws come out a little when its so overwhelmingly negative.

[B]On August 20 2010 23:58 brad drac wrote:
I've been tinkering with a variant of this where I get my lair before queen and I do get some roaches out to defend. With good spotting, you can drop a couple of spines to defend against a heavy bio push. This way you can get the spire out before terran gets thors and a good bit faster than most would expect. If you think this strategy is all in, I don't think you understand what the term means. It does sacrifice a lot of economy for early harassment, but when the mutas pop, it will allow you to grab your expansion as it'll almost certainly pin T back to his base. Getting away with FEs as zerg is increasingly difficult, I think one base builds are a lot safer.

Here's a replay of my first attempt at this: http://sc2.replayers.com/replays/view/2374
I'm not and do not claim to be a very skilled player(supply blocked myself as the spire finished durp), and my opponent really should've reacted better when he scanned my hive, but I'm going to try it a few more times to see if it's actually viable.


I messed around with some Lair before queen builds as well, but I felt like doing that was putting yourself pretty all-in. You lose quite a few drones - both by virtue of speeding everything up, and by missing out on a larvae spit or two.

That said, going straight to lair is a little bit faster. Just remember that speeding it up also means less money in your pocket, making that roach switch a little bit more difficult.

It works out more or less exactly as mutalisks out 50s sooner at the cost of 8 larva, assuming perfect injection timing, no early creep tumour, and all larvae would be used as soon as they pop(are they with your build? I don't have SC2 on this computer so I can't check). Whether this 50s is worth it or not needs to be tested against a variety of builds to see, but I think in many cases it could well be.


In plenty of cases, I'm sure it would be of great benefit.

However, I still think you're giving up a lot of economy, and "fallback" in order to get your mutas out that much faster.

I'm theory-crafting here, but I have to feel like a Terran player who scouts a Zerg base with 2 gas, a pool, and a lair morphing is going to have to assume mutas.

At least by slowing things down a bit, we're getting a hardy amount of drones, while keeping the T somewhat in the dark as to what our game-plan is. (I've yet to play a Terran who didn't build at least 2 marauders after seeing the Roach Warren.)

Certainly lair before queen is viable. I just think it comes with a little more risk. (Reward too, for that matter.)
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
CranKy Ducklings
19:00
Sea Duckling Open #150 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings28
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech97
SHIN 6
StarCraft: Brood War
Mind 1163
Hyuk 968
Bisu 873
Larva 630
Leta 162
EffOrt 122
Zeus 121
Sexy 120
Soma 107
Mini 103
[ Show more ]
PianO 93
Pusan 71
Last 54
ZerO 44
ToSsGirL 39
Killer 38
sorry 28
Bale 25
Hm[arnc] 21
Trap 20
yabsab 17
JulyZerg 8
Noble 6
Aegong 4
Dota 2
XcaliburYe443
XaKoH 356
League of Legends
JimRising 333
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1297
Other Games
gofns34365
singsing1706
crisheroes275
OGKoka 207
Mew2King126
ArmadaUGS63
ZerO(Twitch)3
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick551
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream185
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 57
• LUISG 16
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP12
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7150
League of Legends
• Jankos1404
• Stunt901
Upcoming Events
Online Event
36m
FEL
5h 36m
AI Arena Tournament
6h 36m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
8h 36m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
23h 36m
INu's Battles
1d 1h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Rush vs Light
[ Show More ]
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.