• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:18
CEST 15:18
KST 22:18
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon103
StarCraft 2
General
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7765 users

Guide to Cannon Rushing - Page 13

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 11 12 13 14 Next All
inFeZa
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Australia556 Posts
November 21 2010 14:43 GMT
#241
im sorry, but i stopped at "cheese isn't cheesy"

Starcraft 2 in-game Observer. Follow me twitter.com/infeza
lowfive
Profile Joined November 2010
Australia7 Posts
November 21 2010 14:53 GMT
#242
I think a part of me just died inside...

but i stopped at i like to hear ppl wine. Any one that likes to piss ppl off for fun is... well not a nice human in general.

peace

p.s I don't do it but it is a legit strat.
ಠ_ಠ where did the cookie go.......
trNimitz
Profile Joined October 2010
204 Posts
November 21 2010 15:02 GMT
#243
On August 12 2010 02:26 SageFantasma wrote:
Oh mah gawd this was a ridiculously long guide for something so simple. Say what you say, cannon rushing is like stealing candy from a baby, easy and the only thing the baby'll do is whine. For more than valid reasons. Personally the fact that you get extreme satisfaction from the dissatisfaction of others is sad, and to me, disgusting. But you are who you are, and I sure as hell hope I don't run into you in a 1v1 so I'm not forced to appease your satisfaction.

+1
TheFinalWord
Profile Joined May 2010
Australia790 Posts
November 21 2010 15:21 GMT
#244
On November 13 2010 04:35 catbert7 wrote:snip

On another note, what is the proper response when you find out that your opponent is zealot rushing if you don't scout it until the zealots are already in production or on the way and you did a 13-gate? Any way to hold it off without losing so many probes you'll be behind?

Ok I see you made a thread about this before, I don't knwo why you got no replies.
here is a related thread although it is from a zergs point of view.
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=155832
Way I see it these are your options. Early scout - Build a forge and a cannon to protect mineral line or ramp.
Medium scout (notice probe laying low ground cannon) - either send out 4 probes per cannon or wall of ramp with gateways to prevent probe access.
Late scout (only notice when probe in your base setting down cannons) - gg

Same with zealot rush, if the gateways are already done in your base and pumping zealots the most you could do would be to throw down another gate. If you're not talking about proxy gates, you can probably defend with cannons or matching gateway count.
Xujhan
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada65 Posts
November 21 2010 15:25 GMT
#245
I think it's quite funny how many people in this thread talk about "cheesers", as though people who cannon rush on ladder do so to the total exclusion of all other builds. I got a fair amount of practice cannon rushing in 3v3 back in beta when Arakan Citadel was the only 3v3 map, and every once in a while I decide to pull it out in PvP. It's not like anything interesting happens in mid-diamond PvP anyway, right? =P Bloody Colossus wars.

Certainly there are some people who determinedly cannon rush every game; just like some people determinedly 4-gate every game, or Marine-SCV every game, or 6-9 pool every game. But I get the feeling that they're the minority. Most people who cheese from time to time I think just like keeping things fresh. Heck, I don't remember the guy's name but someone in GSL1 successfully cannon-rushed; PvP on Metalopolis I think. I'd bet a pretty penny that he didn't get to the GSL by "being a skill-less noob."

Personally, when I get cheesed (win or lose), it means I just played a game that was very different from most games I play. It's a fun opportunity to practice my worker micro, if nothing else. Why get so bent out of shape about that?
"I'm so bad at this."
SchizoNL
Profile Joined December 2010
Netherlands37 Posts
February 09 2011 10:53 GMT
#246
Sometimes I decide to "late cannon rush" when my probe is all allone in the opponents base, undisturbed etc. I just build the pylon that could be used as a wg proxy pylon, warp in some annoying cannons and 3 minutes later warp in 4 stalkers
Good guide, excellent tips on countering, and certainly belongs in sc2 strategy.
thrawn2112
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6918 Posts
February 09 2011 13:09 GMT
#247
Teamliquid is probably not the best place to post this sort of thing, but I guess that is the point.
"People think they know all these things about other people, and if you ask them why they think they know that, it'd be hard for them to be convincing." ES
Sbrubbles
Profile Joined October 2010
Brazil5776 Posts
February 09 2011 14:00 GMT
#248
Hey this is a very well-written guide to a legitimate SC2 strategy AND the guide explains how correctly react to it! Of course it should belong in TL!

I just think the OP forgot to say that a correct reaction to scouting the forge (vZ) is to send a drone to patrol below the ramp to avoid the wall-in.
Bora Pain minha porra!
Yamulo
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States2096 Posts
February 12 2011 06:24 GMT
#249
On August 12 2010 02:07 SwaY- wrote:
GL cannon rushing in diamond
But nice guide anyways, someone had to do it eh?
This will spawn a lot of cheesing attempts today -_-~

You do watch pros play right? they still canon rush... i mean.. LOL just watch idras stream tehe.. but on a serious note it works..
~~~Liquid Fighting (SC2)~~~
Karliath
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2214 Posts
March 04 2011 00:30 GMT
#250
If you want to cannon rush, this is one link you'll have to check out:

http://www.playxp.com/sc2/tip/view.php?article_id=2645507
rathe
Profile Joined August 2010
United States109 Posts
March 04 2011 06:04 GMT
#251
There are at least two completely new strains of cannon rush that I didn't touch on in this guide. One is the external rush, one is the blockade rush shown above.

I have been using them to great effect. I thought about expanding the guide to include them. If there is interest, I will.
Rob Hustle - Check out my music mang! - http://www.facebook.com/robhustle
Daniel C
Profile Joined October 2010
Hong Kong1606 Posts
March 04 2011 06:11 GMT
#252
Yes please!
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.
Conrose
Profile Joined October 2010
437 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-04 06:48:30
March 04 2011 06:45 GMT
#253
I was thinking... what would happen if you Cannon-Probe All-In? I know in 3v3's I often send a second probe shortly behind the first probe on some maps, one to look like a legitimate scout while the other is up to nefarious deeds. Alternatively, you can very visibly throw down a pylon to one side while working on your true cannon rush opposite from the decoy. They'll throw their SCVs to one side while you push in from the other. It's economically more risky though.

Now for the Cannon-Probe All-in, I was thinking maybe once I scout an opportunity, pool some minerals while doing the pylon cancelling chain against the anti-rush workers. Then pull most probes from minerals and run them across the map to swarm the anti-rush workers. Theoretically, with some micro, you should be able to preserve your probes health long enough to ensure early cannons getting placed even if they throw all their workers at you.

It should also slow down their ability to produce proper counters, and I know that vs terran especially, you can get a surround on a marine and kill it off quickly.
Neptuneajax
Profile Joined April 2009
Australia206 Posts
March 04 2011 06:54 GMT
#254
I have found the the most effective way to deal with this cheese as protoss is to remain calm, pull all probes off gas onto minerals untill the cannon line gets in range and simply take a ninja expo, build a forge and return the favor, or proxy gate him
STALLONEZONE
Profile Joined December 2010
Ireland115 Posts
March 04 2011 06:54 GMT
#255
I cannon rushed my way to Diamond, as soon as you typed "I try to place the pylon out of sight" I knew this was awful. The best cannon rushes aren't a play based on hope.
3000ish Diamond Player. Want to practive *vZ or need help Zv* on EU? Add me: STALLONEZONE 309
rathe
Profile Joined August 2010
United States109 Posts
March 04 2011 17:18 GMT
#256
On March 04 2011 15:54 STALLONEZONE wrote:
I cannon rushed my way to Diamond, as soon as you typed "I try to place the pylon out of sight" I knew this was awful. The best cannon rushes aren't a play based on hope.


Reading is tech, and you need to do some teching. I never said to do it blind and hope to win. In fact went to great lengths to state the opposite. There is an actual section called "when to cannon rush."

Cannon rushing is a crime of opportunity. If you decide, a priori, to cannon rush someone, you have at best a 50/50 shot at it working. You can’t just say, “I’m going to cannon rush.” Instead, you have to scout their base and look for the opportunity. If you see it, you need to act quickly. Otherwise, you need to have a plan to transition to a normal opening.


Placing the pylon out of sight is the basic way to cannon rush. There are many other ways. But never did I say do it based on hope.

Next time try reading and comprehending what you read before posting a derogatory comment.

People like you are the reason I haven't updated the guide with newer techniques.
Rob Hustle - Check out my music mang! - http://www.facebook.com/robhustle
rathe
Profile Joined August 2010
United States109 Posts
March 04 2011 17:21 GMT
#257
On March 04 2011 15:45 Conrose wrote:
I was thinking... what would happen if you Cannon-Probe All-In? I know in 3v3's I often send a second probe shortly behind the first probe on some maps, one to look like a legitimate scout while the other is up to nefarious deeds. Alternatively, you can very visibly throw down a pylon to one side while working on your true cannon rush opposite from the decoy. They'll throw their SCVs to one side while you push in from the other. It's economically more risky though.

Now for the Cannon-Probe All-in, I was thinking maybe once I scout an opportunity, pool some minerals while doing the pylon cancelling chain against the anti-rush workers. Then pull most probes from minerals and run them across the map to swarm the anti-rush workers. Theoretically, with some micro, you should be able to preserve your probes health long enough to ensure early cannons getting placed even if they throw all their workers at you.

It should also slow down their ability to produce proper counters, and I know that vs terran especially, you can get a surround on a marine and kill it off quickly.



Interesting idea. Have you experimented with it any? For the newer blockade style builds, I was thinking of doing something like this... because usually they will attach a follow probe as soon as they see you. If you had multiple probes, however, you could still blockade, win the fight, and create cannons inside the blockade.

If you test this, let us know how this works out for you.
Rob Hustle - Check out my music mang! - http://www.facebook.com/robhustle
Hashmeister
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany238 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-16 10:27:35
September 16 2011 10:25 GMT
#258
On August 12 2010 02:26 SageFantasma wrote:
Oh mah gawd this was a ridiculously long guide for something so simple. Say what you say, cannon rushing is like stealing candy from a baby, easy and the only thing the baby'll do is whine. For more than valid reasons. Personally the fact that you get extreme satisfaction from the dissatisfaction of others is sad, and to me, disgusting. But you are who you are, and I sure as hell hope I don't run into you in a 1v1 so I'm not forced to appease your satisfaction.


/signed.

The only part I liked about the Post is the part that you explained how to counter/defend the cannon rush in. But the strategy is a cheese and infact its only gonna make you win esp. in PvP not for skill and good macro, but only for dumb decision making of your opponent. Also the fact that you take pleasure in the frustration of your opponents I think is pretty bad and shows what kind of character you are.
bit.ly/hashmeister
idkju
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Canada51 Posts
September 16 2011 12:00 GMT
#259
i don't think zerg is that difficult to cannon rush... You just need to cannon rush to get ahead (i.e. cannon rushing an expansion) you don't always need to win with the cannon rush just get very ahead to do it. Try to provide some good videos too so people have a visual that are still learning how to cannon rush.

Overall a nice write-up though.
Elefes
Profile Joined September 2011
Russian Federation164 Posts
October 14 2011 10:49 GMT
#260
Ehhh, why ppl hate cannons that much *_*
When applied smart as described in the OP, it's just a part of the opening, not the dumb cheese.
And, u know.. Just to punish greedy or rushing to tech builds.

I think cannons are legit only in PvP though, otherwise it's just too risky.
And, u know, it works well only vs noobs -.- Vs. decent guys u just risk setting ur ass toooo far behind. Prolly with nice APM and a refined build order it wouldn't hurt much..?


Prev 1 11 12 13 14 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
WardiTV Weekly
11:00
WardiTV Mondays #106
IntoTheiNu 1086
WardiTV760
OGKoka 300
Rex147
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 300
Rex 147
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Bisu 2549
Horang2 1489
Shuttle 1450
Jaedong 868
EffOrt 671
BeSt 544
Mini 411
Light 252
Stork 242
ZerO 202
[ Show more ]
firebathero 194
ggaemo 160
Rush 137
Zeus 89
Killer 73
Shine 66
Barracks 64
Hyun 63
Shinee 31
sorry 30
ToSsGirL 28
Yoon 26
Aegong 24
Mong 23
Bale 22
Sexy 22
PianO 21
soO 15
ajuk12(nOOB) 14
Sacsri 14
zelot 11
Noble 10
Terrorterran 10
yabsab 8
Icarus 7
HiyA 7
Dota 2
qojqva2263
Dendi1641
BananaSlamJamma290
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
x6flipin737
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes393
Other Games
singsing2241
olofmeister1370
B2W.Neo735
hiko722
Lowko339
Sick226
Pyrionflax190
Liquid`VortiX117
ArmadaUGS80
Mew2King40
ZerO(Twitch)6
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream553
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 10
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH294
• StrangeGG 32
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2309
Other Games
• WagamamaTV242
Upcoming Events
Monday Night Weeklies
2h 43m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
20h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
20h 43m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 10h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 21h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.