• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:42
CEST 22:42
KST 05:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7304 users

[G/D] Baneling bust 2.0 - Page 4

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Elyzah
Profile Joined July 2010
5 Posts
August 13 2010 13:28 GMT
#61
On August 13 2010 22:13 Sixes wrote:
To the people testing:
What do you think about saccing an overlord just when the 5th roach is made (and build 2 OLs asap)? It could save us the banelings and a roach or two and the overlord may get out alive (because the marines can't run out of the base to chase it, hell against a poor player it could open the base for us). If we have an extra overlord that's fine because we are going to spam a ton of drones right away anyways.

If the front is not bustable for any reason (marauders, rax-factory wall) we at least have enough information to choose speedling or lair (or more roaches if mass marine). While being defended by 5 roaches and 4 banelings as well as a few spine crawlers (if we feel we need them). We can keep pumping drones for at least a little bit (marauder pushes come later and we have a fair bit of defense.

I just think it is a great time to sac an overlord (because starport would be up for any fast starport play, the wall can be checked, addons can be checked).

Based on my sandbox experience so far, that would be an excellent time to move in an overlord that you have already positioned in proximity of his base. Although I wouldn't move it in from the front, but sideways so you can draw his attention away from his choke, perhaps earning you one or two unattended seconds. If you plan on retreating your Roaches, don't let the Terran see them. They will just invite aggression, and your chances of bringing them back to safety really dwindle.

Pumping drones at this point is absolutely necessary if you can't swing the game hugely in your favor by destroying his tech or production facilities or put a real dent in his SCV-count. You are sitting at 14 drones, which is really not enough at this point. However, as we have two hatches we can jump-start our economy from there. I found reinforcing with further Roaches not really optimal, because they are so terribly slow. They arrive at the front when the action is pretty much over; generally speaking.
Wie viel schneller man die Welt mit einem Könige versorge, als Könige mit einer Welt.
Sixes
Profile Joined July 2010
Canada1123 Posts
August 13 2010 13:44 GMT
#62
I was only talking about further roaches for defense of a pure marine push. Those 5 roaches are all you need for awhile.
Izzachar
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden285 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 16:48:04
August 13 2010 16:47 GMT
#63
What do you think about saccing an overlord just when the 5th roach is made (and build 2 OLs asap)?


I think this is a great idea. In particular if the timing works in the way that you can get a OL at 28 and drone pump before loosing that scouting OL and busting in. A possible desperation counter attack will not happen before another larvae cycle and then you have good defenses up again as long as the bust wasn't a total throw away into nothing. But with proper feeling, scouting and micro it shouldn't be a waste.

Although I wouldn't move it in from the front, but sideways so you can draw his attention away from his choke, perhaps earning you one or two unattended seconds.


And I totally agree. If that makes the wall even just slightly easier to break thats awesome

I will try and do this myself. The BO I find is really demanding though. There are so much things that need to click and get well timed, so I will probably forget and screw this up several times =) I can barely make the original BO flow well as it is into a transition. I pretty much make some mistake every game that slow me down 10-20sec or something but still it tends to work out great for me
zomgzergrush
Profile Joined August 2008
United States923 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 17:55:25
August 13 2010 17:45 GMT
#64
I'm still really wondering about the timing of the actual baneling bust, though. If the terran walls properly you won't have enough to break the wall and the rauders will just outrange your roaches.

My baneling bust follows DiMaga's I believe, 13p 12g, speed, baneling. Sometimes I go baneling before speed and do a slowling break for really really early breaks. I'm pretty sure this is much faster than hatching first. 6minute break seems very late to me, IIRC a normal baneling bust is a minute faster.

Also, vs bunker rushes, were they just not repairing? Roach ROF is so damn slow that bunkers just jump right to full hp.

I feel like this build is dependent on T feeling comfortable from blings by seeing an extra hatch?

Finally, how can you not be screwed if the wall is un-bustable? your tech is behind, drone count is low, and the roach's days are numbered once the T sees em and starts making a handful of rauders. If you pump drones AFTER you notice the wall is unbreakable, the T has been powering along as normal. The only way I can see you getting out of it is if the T throws his army at you early and loses it.
Bronze skipping straight to Diamond in 40 games retail release. Bnet 2.0 ladder really takes it's sweet time to think about that league placement.
theBullFrog
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States515 Posts
August 13 2010 17:51 GMT
#65
This wouldn't work well against aggressive players. 2 gate or fast reaper will destroy this build.
thebullfrog
zomgzergrush
Profile Joined August 2008
United States923 Posts
August 13 2010 18:03 GMT
#66
On August 14 2010 02:51 asianinvasian wrote:
This wouldn't work well against aggressive players. 2 gate or fast reaper will destroy this build.

it is fairly obvious if they are cheesing reaper...at which point you simply ditch the hatch and defend with your queen...theres no reason Z shoudl ever lose to FAST reaper....

this isnt a vP build, either....
Bronze skipping straight to Diamond in 40 games retail release. Bnet 2.0 ladder really takes it's sweet time to think about that league placement.
Johnny_Vegas
Profile Joined December 2007
United States239 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 18:20:11
August 13 2010 18:19 GMT
#67
I tried a build similar to this recently, FE'ing and getting roaches and banelings asap. I ended up winning but only because the terran saw my banelings outside his base with a couple of hellion (which I killed eventually with roaches) and sat in his base, making 2 bunkers behind his wallin, allowing me time to macro up and tech to burrow and roach speed.

He ends up finally pushing out with rines/tanks but I burrow ambush his tanks and sandwich him with roaches.

http://www.battlereports.com/viewreplays.php?replaynum=33725

I was very vulnerable early on, and probably a little better than my opponent to make this work. I just freestyled the whole thing, so not sure if I was close to your build order, but I thought I'd link the replay because it involves early baneling/roach with a FE.

Like I said before, I think the primary benefit to this build is its value as a "feint", as it looks like you are being really aggressive but really you just want to make drones. I would hesitate to call it a "Baneling Bust 2.0", as its almost never going to bust/win right away. The other value is it is nice to have both a baneling nest and a roach warren up, which you can capitalize on later when you have a better economy.

One other thing that could be useful with this build is if you show roaches, and hide your banelings, T might move out with just marines. With your roaches as forward scouts, you might be able to hide banelings behind concealing terrain and take out a ton of marines (10 - 16ish maybe if tightly packed) with very few banelings if you micro properly.

battlereports.com (co-founder/developer), Nohunters Discussion Forum operator
crimsonsentinel
Profile Joined April 2010
United States179 Posts
August 13 2010 18:21 GMT
#68
I'm still not completely convinced...5 minutes is a bit late and a terran could have a double rax or rax/fac wall by that point which would make the bust completely worthless.
Gyro
Profile Joined May 2010
Norway36 Posts
August 13 2010 21:05 GMT
#69
Tried it. Ended with bunker+marine. Then game over.
That really hurt
zomgzergrush
Profile Joined August 2008
United States923 Posts
August 13 2010 22:13 GMT
#70
On August 14 2010 06:05 Gyro wrote:
Tried it. Ended with bunker+marine. Then game over.


Those were my thoughts. Properly timed (i.e. with the first marines immediately after scouting that hatch) with followup repairs of a few SCV/mule or even a maurader added to the bunker, that bunker shouldn't die before doing terrible, terrible, damage.

From a T perspective, I'd have no problem committing more scvs to repair that bunker considering how much damage it will do. Mules will skyrocket the T mineral income just fine early on.
Bronze skipping straight to Diamond in 40 games retail release. Bnet 2.0 ladder really takes it's sweet time to think about that league placement.
obsid
Profile Joined November 2008
United States389 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 22:54:19
August 13 2010 22:53 GMT
#71
if you see a bunker with marines behind the wall in (it does happen), just bust the depo with the banelings and run by the bunker, go and for the scvs. Roaches dont take a lot of damage from marines (although raoches DPS isnt great), he can come out and fight you, or he can lose scvs, eather way you win.
Izzachar
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden285 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 23:24:02
August 13 2010 23:13 GMT
#72
Finally, how can you not be screwed if the wall is un-bustable? your tech is behind, drone count is low, and the roach's days are numbered once the T sees em and starts making a handful of rauders. If you pump drones AFTER you notice the wall is unbreakable, the T has been powering along as normal. The only way I can see you getting out of it is if the T throws his army at you early and loses it.


Replay?

Tried it. Ended with bunker+marine. Then game over.


Replay?

Kill SCVs at bunker first? And done right you do have banelings for backup to at least save the FE. No bust but the T just committed 150 (marine) 100 (bunker) 100 (2 workers) 350minerals on that bunker rush. I do not see how roaches alone wouldn't handle that. And the question is what defense does T manage to scramble up in his base before you get there? So a replay please.

I also think marines + marauder wont get there in time. Maybe 1 marine and 1 marauder. But not 4 marines and 1 marauders as you make it sound.

I'm still not completely convinced...5 minutes is a bit late and a terran could have a double rax or rax/fac wall by that point which would make the bust completely worthless.


In which case you skip banes, use roaches for defense, or skip roaches and just get speedlings and continue playing as normal. You will see how the wall off will turn out long before its even up looking at the first buildings.
Izzachar
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden285 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-13 23:27:09
August 13 2010 23:19 GMT
#73
On August 14 2010 03:19 Johnny_Vegas wrote:
I tried a build similar to this recently, FE'ing and getting roaches and banelings asap. I ended up winning but only because the terran saw my banelings outside his base with a couple of hellion (which I killed eventually with roaches) and sat in his base, making 2 bunkers behind his wallin, allowing me time to macro up and tech to burrow and roach speed.

He ends up finally pushing out with rines/tanks but I burrow ambush his tanks and sandwich him with roaches.

http://www.battlereports.com/viewreplays.php?replaynum=33725

I was very vulnerable early on, and probably a little better than my opponent to make this work. I just freestyled the whole thing, so not sure if I was close to your build order, but I thought I'd link the replay because it involves early baneling/roach with a FE.

Like I said before, I think the primary benefit to this build is its value as a "feint", as it looks like you are being really aggressive but really you just want to make drones. I would hesitate to call it a "Baneling Bust 2.0", as its almost never going to bust/win right away. The other value is it is nice to have both a baneling nest and a roach warren up, which you can capitalize on later when you have a better economy.

One other thing that could be useful with this build is if you show roaches, and hide your banelings, T might move out with just marines. With your roaches as forward scouts, you might be able to hide banelings behind concealing terrain and take out a ton of marines (10 - 16ish maybe if tightly packed) with very few banelings if you micro properly.



You build is nothing like the one I proposed.

You go one base. At 4minutes you have 9drones total and only 6 mining minerals! You build 8 zerglings very early that you use for nothing screwing you eco up totally.

At 5:18 5 roaches in my BO would be ready, FE would be ready, and you would have 4 lings and 15 drones. You have 14 drones and 8lings at 5:18 and by then your roach warren is only half way done.

The bust would happen at ~6min look at your replay what does terran have then? 6 marines, 2 supply depot/bunker wall off. And a techlab building on the factory. You would have steam rolled him with the BO i proposed. In this particular replay the bust I propose would be a GG easily (but plz note that is not the intention of it). Your bust is ready at like 8min. Plenty of time for terran to wall in properly in response to scouting you and he also gets 2 siege tanks...




gustavo
Profile Joined July 2010
Brazil38 Posts
August 14 2010 00:00 GMT
#74
I have been doing something similar , I dont have a build order past 14 pool:
13 extractor
14 pool
speed as its done
queen
2-6 lings~
get expo
power drone
go up to 30 pop~
check what terran is up to - don't see many defenses or see tech, throw baneling nest(usually on expansion less likely to get scanned) and win.
hmmmmgh
obsid
Profile Joined November 2008
United States389 Posts
August 14 2010 00:05 GMT
#75
What your talking about is a standard baneling bust, but you got a lot more drones instead. Sometimes it works, but its a totaly diffrent build to not get roaches, or a really fast expo.
zomgzergrush
Profile Joined August 2008
United States923 Posts
August 14 2010 00:09 GMT
#76
to elaborate on my mentioning of the bunker, i'm referring to a proxy bunker outside your hatch, not behind his wall when you're trying to bust.
Bronze skipping straight to Diamond in 40 games retail release. Bnet 2.0 ladder really takes it's sweet time to think about that league placement.
Izzachar
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden285 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-14 00:16:08
August 14 2010 00:13 GMT
#77
On August 14 2010 09:09 zomgzergrush wrote:
to elaborate on my mentioning of the bunker, i'm referring to a proxy bunker outside your hatch, not behind his wall when you're trying to bust.


I know it was misunderstood. But I knew what you were talking about. I'm still not convinced this is a problem. what is the optimal number of forces T can have in those bunkers at 5:15? Add to that, that there is 3-4 lings moving towards Ts base straight past bunkers at like 4min able to intercept any reinforcements easily taking down a lone marauder or a lone marine. It might loose you 1 or 2 lings and a few roaches but then you have the FE secured.

Added a new replay of a T going for fast thor and starport that is pretty interesting I think.
gustavo
Profile Joined July 2010
Brazil38 Posts
August 14 2010 00:21 GMT
#78
What your talking about is a standard baneling bust, but you got a lot more drones instead. Sometimes it works, but its a totaly diffrent build to not get roaches, or a really fast expo.


I looked at one replay and basically exactly what i thought was going to happen - happened.

Which is: Early hatch - but you're making roaches early - so you don't have money for the larva anyhow , and you haven't even hit 16 drones on minerals on your main , so why do you early exp?

Honestly the build I suggest has a lot less waste and serves the same purpose and can be done much snappier - you can mass enough lings while nest is being built.
hmmmmgh
gustavo
Profile Joined July 2010
Brazil38 Posts
August 14 2010 00:34 GMT
#79
Upon further analysis the fast hatch you made granted you a total of 3 larva (you had 1 to spare on main so it was more like 2).

This is kinda like terrans building 8 rax for the income of 1 base you can't sustain it.

hmmmmgh
Izzachar
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden285 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-08-14 01:12:04
August 14 2010 00:47 GMT
#80
On August 14 2010 09:34 gustavo wrote:
Upon further analysis the fast hatch you made granted you a total of 3 larva (you had 1 to spare on main so it was more like 2).

This is kinda like terrans building 8 rax for the income of 1 base you can't sustain it.



watch more replays you are wrong. even if my timings are off. You can get 5 roaches when roach warren pops given good timings. The 6th larvae i used for an OL moments later (even if I do forget it at times thats the intention)

And you deal with thor drop on cliff / fast banshees how?

Cause thats the whole point of the BO. You present a build that is better economic but you present no way of doing what this BO intends to do.

Honestly the build I suggest has a lot less waste and serves the same purpose and can be done much snappier - you can mass enough lings while nest is being built.


No your bust is way later. Your expo would pop around 6min. And you cannot macro drones and get enough lings at the same time. At 5:15 which is when the roaches pop you could at max squeeze in 18 lings. Make 5 of those into banelings for a bust and you have 13 lings left to do damage with. But in this case you are at 15 drones as well! So the only difference is that I have an earlier expo and 5 roaches compared to your 13 speedlings. But I also have roach warren already! And I have more larvae to later turn into drones so my eco will kick start much faster then yours.

If you wanna argue against this please provide a replay where you have equal busting potential at 6min with the same amount of drones and similar tech. Much later then 6min and siegetanks are sieging and banshees are rolling
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
SteadfastSC522
EnkiAlexander 91
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 544
ZombieGrub143
JuggernautJason92
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 22411
Soulkey 264
White-Ra 170
Mini 163
Trap 24
ToSsGirL 22
Shine 20
League of Legends
Doublelift2104
Counter-Strike
fl0m1412
shoxiejesuss546
C9.Mang0171
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King75
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3700
Khaldor2226
Liquid`Hasu1713
Trikslyr41
Other Games
summit1g2080
ArmadaUGS2067
B2W.Neo463
shahzam434
Pyrionflax182
UpATreeSC66
Railgan24
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV176
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream95
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• Migwel
• IndyKCrew
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 43
• Azhi_Dahaki26
• HerbMon 2
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV453
League of Legends
• TFBlade807
• Noizen134
Other Games
• Scarra1434
• imaqtpie931
• Shiphtur277
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 18m
OSC
16h 18m
Stellar Fest
16h 18m
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.