• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 10:53
CEST 16:53
KST 23:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon108
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Where can I find Flash replays that work? Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8341 users

[D] Protoss 2/1/1 - Page 2

Forum Index > StarCraft 2 Strategy
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
nujgnoy
Profile Joined December 2009
United States204 Posts
July 11 2010 00:45 GMT
#21
2 of the players didn't really understand what to do with 1-1-1 and lost all their men and tanks attacking the P with 1 or 2 tanks. If a T wants to rush a P at that time, might as well go bio.

1-1-1 is more of defend and timing attack in midgame with a diverse unit composition or defend with tech and expand. It's not a rush with 2 tanks and 10 marines build. It's definitely easier to criticize than to perform but the approach these replays showed with 1-1-1 is not optimal at all.
Acidlineup
Profile Joined April 2010
123 Posts
July 11 2010 06:47 GMT
#22
Im not too sure, but the way i see it this build is GREAT and only really vulnerable to marine/ghost pushes.

Here is something u can try>
Instead of building robo first try to build Stargate first and get that fast phoenix (while also savin up for robo and also have some early gateway units to defend) and with this ONE phoenix (so dont wait untill u have like 4) scout his base. there is no way he will know if its real phoenix or a halucination, and with this scout u can know if hes going marine/ghost combo. If he is then STOP building any units from robo, and also stop building any units from a stargate and focus on gateway unist and sentrys so u can block ur ramp untill colossi arrive. Have a practice partner and make him go marine/ghost combo and u do this and let us know pls how it went. ^^ gl.
system failure...
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
July 11 2010 06:49 GMT
#23
This just got raped by a marine/ghost/marauder push rofl. Not that I played well but the weaknesses are glaring. I'm going to have to do some thinking to come up with a viable transition since I don't think you can get colo's out in time with so much gas committed. I'll look into jinro's advice and try some stargate first action.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Percutio
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States1672 Posts
July 11 2010 07:11 GMT
#24
Plexa did you scout with the first Pheonix?

I do this in a backwards way. I go 2/1(Stargate)/1(Robo).

Usually if I scout with a Pheonix they overproduce marines and die to zealot/sentry. If they don't attack I scout with the obs (Carefully in case of turrets) so I can respond to their composition. More stargate units if it is mech or air.
What does it matter how I loose it?
Acidlineup
Profile Joined April 2010
123 Posts
July 11 2010 07:46 GMT
#25
I found a way. If ur doin protoss 2/1/1 its really important to skip early warpgate upgrade.
Here is the build u should try>

9 pylon
12 gate (scout)
13 gas
14 pylon
15 cyber core
16 zlot
17 pylon
21 or 22 stalker (to repel any early reaper)
when cyber finishes build one sentry and trow down second gas
build probes (no units) untill u have enough gas for a stargate
while stagate is building throw down second gateway and a pylon and a second sentry
keep pumping zlots from one gateway while second is building and only now start researching warpgate upgrade.
Build one phoenix and scout his entre base, while also lookin for proxies
when warpgate upgrade starts, now is safe to throw down robo.
2 senties with support from gateway units should be enough to stop any early marauder rushes (ur objective is not to engage him, just block ur ramp)

See what ur scout tells u, and is hes going more marauders than marines build one voidray and one immortal.
If he has all marines and just few marauders(1-2), dont engage in a fight, build more sentries, keep blocking ur ramp while waiting for a collosi and then push and while he is falling back throw down an expansion.

The strenght of this build is if he goes mostly marauders with a ghost, just build voidrays and immortal and crush him right there with the support of ur ground forces. If he goes marines/ghost u cant fight and u have to wait for colosi (keep blocking ur ramp with a forcefield) and then to push out from ur base but what u can do is while he is waiting fro u with marines and a ghost to enter ur base, keep pumping only senties and phoenix so u can continue to block ur ramp while in the same time harrasing him with phoenixes (for that u really need to be focused).
2/1/1 beats terran 1/1/1 easily so no explanation there how u should play.
banshee rush, easy... just all depends from ur first phoenix scout and u will see it coming.
system failure...
Zacsafus
Profile Joined May 2010
England255 Posts
July 11 2010 09:24 GMT
#26
I feel that perhaps pumping an early VR instead of a phoenix first would be beneficial, as attacking him will allow you to see his army comp so you can check for ghosts. It let's you get a powerful harasser without destroying your tech line and will keep him in his base long enough for a collosi follow up or expand if you see bio play.

I think the versatility of this build is amazing and perhaps not utilising the ability to get only a single early VR has been overlooked thus far. Gonna try this build some more but seems like the new sliced bread atm
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-11 09:45:50
July 11 2010 09:41 GMT
#27
On July 11 2010 16:46 Acidlineup wrote:
-- post abridged --
I think your points are really good. I'll give them a go the next time I get a chance. I think I had pretty much reached a similar conclusion to you today anyway
On July 11 2010 18:24 Zacsafus wrote:
I feel that perhaps pumping an early VR instead of a phoenix first would be beneficial, as attacking him will allow you to see his army comp so you can check for ghosts. It let's you get a powerful harasser without destroying your tech line and will keep him in his base long enough for a collosi follow up or expand if you see bio play.

I think the versatility of this build is amazing and perhaps not utilising the ability to get only a single early VR has been overlooked thus far. Gonna try this build some more but seems like the new sliced bread atm

I'm not so sure about the VR first. I think Phoenix is slightly better just for scouting purposes and the decreased cost allows you to get that robo up sooner. I think the VR build lends itself much more to a white-ra style of play which isn't necessarily bad, it's just not a 2/1/1.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
infinity21 *
Profile Blog Joined October 2006
Canada6683 Posts
July 11 2010 12:39 GMT
#28
On July 11 2010 09:45 nujgnoy wrote:
2 of the players didn't really understand what to do with 1-1-1 and lost all their men and tanks attacking the P with 1 or 2 tanks. If a T wants to rush a P at that time, might as well go bio.

1-1-1 is more of defend and timing attack in midgame with a diverse unit composition or defend with tech and expand. It's not a rush with 2 tanks and 10 marines build. It's definitely easier to criticize than to perform but the approach these replays showed with 1-1-1 is not optimal at all.

It's not a rush but a form of poking in, no different than a fd build. The inclusion of a phoenix commits my tanks to the initial battle but I will pull my tank back if I can.

I'm not sure how my game went (we played a lot of games on Friday) but I think I tried to go for a contain at his choke with vikings to spot the high-ground. Iirc plexa hit me just before my second tank arrived and managed to clean it up pretty well.

Sure, if P goes phoenix or heavy gateways then I will lose my push but I can save my tank in a lot of situations and do a lot of damage vs fe and dt. I disagree that its optimal to simply turtle until you hit critical mass of tanks. Maybe a better approach is to wait for 3 tanks and look for the phoenix but that might be too late for dt or fe, I don't know.
Official Entusman #21
Acidlineup
Profile Joined April 2010
123 Posts
July 11 2010 13:59 GMT
#29
I'm not so sure about the VR first. I think Phoenix is slightly better just for scouting purposes and the decreased cost allows you to get that robo up sooner. I think the VR build lends itself much more to a white-ra style of play which isn't necessarily bad, it's just not a 2/1/1.


Exactly. U go voidrays only if ur phoenix scout tells u hes goin heavy on marauders (and also ofcourse pump immos).
Whitera indeed does 2/1/1 only hes style is different. He goes voidrays mixed with dark templars. Thats even more gas heavy that 2/1/1 robo and more risky. Cloacked banshees and u die.
system failure...
Zacsafus
Profile Joined May 2010
England255 Posts
July 11 2010 14:05 GMT
#30
Yeah perhaps phoenix may be better, i think its just me getting too carried away with how powerful VRs are lols
OminouS
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden1343 Posts
July 11 2010 15:20 GMT
#31
I've done this build in PvP the last 2 months of phase 1. Worked less well since the Void Ray range nerf.
On the 6th day JF made Reavers and on the 7th day JF put his opponent to rest
sputnik.theory
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Poland449 Posts
July 11 2010 16:10 GMT
#32
this is a great opening, thanks for the post.
I'll post some replays when matchmaking decides to stop placing me against silver league players
“On the night of the murder I was at home, asleep. The characters in my dream can vouch for me.”
nujgnoy
Profile Joined December 2009
United States204 Posts
July 11 2010 16:38 GMT
#33
On July 11 2010 21:39 infinity21 wrote:

It's not a rush but a form of poking in, no different than a fd build. The inclusion of a phoenix commits my tanks to the initial battle but I will pull my tank back if I can.

I'm not sure how my game went (we played a lot of games on Friday) but I think I tried to go for a contain at his choke with vikings to spot the high-ground. Iirc plexa hit me just before my second tank arrived and managed to clean it up pretty well.

Sure, if P goes phoenix or heavy gateways then I will lose my push but I can save my tank in a lot of situations and do a lot of damage vs fe and dt. I disagree that its optimal to simply turtle until you hit critical mass of tanks. Maybe a better approach is to wait for 3 tanks and look for the phoenix but that might be too late for dt or fe, I don't know.


If you watch current korean progamer TvP,

1. Terran is SCREWED if he loses his tanks w/o killing almost twice as many goons. This forces him to either play completely defensive for the most of the game
2. FD can only work with the best of micro
3. FD is as viable as it is only because of mines.
4. FD needs to come asap with tanks and many number of marines
5. FD works against an expanding P, not really a 1 base P

In that rep,

1. In that rep, the terran traded 10+ marines, 1 viking, and 1 tank for pretty much no gas costing units. The Protoss lost his phoenix before the engagement even started when he used graviton beam too early. And STILL the T lost it cost inefficiently.
2. the tank was busy shooting the immortal the entire time
3. There is no mine to save the tank from protoss units
4. The terran not only made a late 2nd refinery which meant VERY late timing, he made a stargate. FD terrans poke around after Barracks-Factory, not Barracks-Factory-Factory (and certainly not after Barracks-Factory-Starport).
5. This P did NOT expand and instead went for a stargate and produced men

If the T waits until 3 tanks, the P's army would be relatively a LOT stronger. For ex, he can have 3 immos to match the tanks, or just more zealots and phoenix.

And maybe a terran player might feel a bit inactive maintaining a defensive posture, but if the t loses 2 tanks and 10+ marines to "poke around" the t is absolutely forced to be defensive. You threw down 2 bunkers iirc after the fight. Do you seriously think a terran who loses that much force (for doing so little damage) and is trying to stay alive by putting down bunkers can win a macro game against a protoss who now is sitting outside your ramp with a stargate for map control?

I'm not saying either of the 2 terran players were bad. I looked at their base, and their macro was decent while managing the battle. But in both cases the terran players were absolutely crushed. I'm not saying a T has to turtle all the game. I clearly said that one possible way to play 1-1-1 is to make a later timing rush when the T possesses a diverse unit mix. But these replays are not very promising executions of a bw style FD which should come after 1-1 and should not be delayed to put down a starport which only gives the P time to produce army.
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
July 12 2010 02:15 GMT
#34
I've been playing the stargate first variation for most of today against various people (nujgnoy especially) and I don't think it's solid. It's ridiculously vulnerable to marine/marauder pushes as it leaves you with virtually nothing to deal with it (not even blocking my ramp really helps). I'm not quite sold on whether this is a viable standard build just yet. I don't have time to post up replays from today, but I will get to that once I get back home !
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
xDaunt
Profile Joined March 2010
United States17988 Posts
July 12 2010 03:57 GMT
#35
Stargate first is very solid against any terran opening if you get a void ray first. However, the problem is that making void rays will cause the terran to mass marines. Eventually, you'll need to get colossi or templar to deal with the larger bio mass that the terran develops, which, as you've noted, is the primary weakness with your build. With this in mind, I don't think that a protoss can or should swing a strict 2-1-1 build. I think the safer move is to use the void ray to buy time to expand and then tech to colossi (this is basically what all my PvT's look like now).

That said, I think you should still try to make it work. Assuming that you're still trying to build phoenixes and immortals with your 2-1-1 build, I think you should consider cutting one of those units out. They basically serve the same purpose in the early game: disabling/killing tanks or other terran mech. If you find some way to incorporate into your build the protoss units/tech that are better at killing masses of weaker units (like marines), I think you'll find that your build is more well-rounded and better at dealing with whatever the terran throws at you.
rS.Sinatra
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada785 Posts
July 12 2010 04:00 GMT
#36
I've done this build vs zerg in phase one... its actually nice opening, but you have to end it early. The voids take care of the ling / roaches, the zealot/sentry/stalker the lings... and the robo takes care of hydra or roach...
www.rsgaming.com
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
July 12 2010 06:01 GMT
#37
On July 12 2010 12:57 xDaunt wrote:
Stargate first is very solid against any terran opening if you get a void ray first. However, the problem is that making void rays will cause the terran to mass marines. Eventually, you'll need to get colossi or templar to deal with the larger bio mass that the terran develops, which, as you've noted, is the primary weakness with your build. With this in mind, I don't think that a protoss can or should swing a strict 2-1-1 build. I think the safer move is to use the void ray to buy time to expand and then tech to colossi (this is basically what all my PvT's look like now).

That said, I think you should still try to make it work. Assuming that you're still trying to build phoenixes and immortals with your 2-1-1 build, I think you should consider cutting one of those units out. They basically serve the same purpose in the early game: disabling/killing tanks or other terran mech. If you find some way to incorporate into your build the protoss units/tech that are better at killing masses of weaker units (like marines), I think you'll find that your build is more well-rounded and better at dealing with whatever the terran throws at you.
Everything you wrote is true. I found exactly that in my trials. The first phoenix is really really useless other than scouting information (which is awesome) but you can really only scout out things that you can't stop haha. The build really destroys mech Terrans though, unfortunately there are 2 other builds which are valid and don't involve mech. I can't really work out a way to get into a position where this is valid against the marauder based builds and the marine ghost based builds.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
RAUS
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
210 Posts
July 12 2010 06:50 GMT
#38
On July 11 2010 09:13 arb wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2010 09:12 Severedevil wrote:
On July 11 2010 08:53 Plexa wrote:
On July 11 2010 08:41 Severedevil wrote:
1) Why not go gate/robo/gate for faster Immortals?

The less time you give the opponent to pump marauders, the easier it should be to defend. (You could delay warp if you need, it's not a huge priority if you're only on two gateways and you're defending.)
I'm getting the Robo pretty quickly, the 2nd gate doesn't really affect that much since it doesn't waste gas.

You could definitely get the Robo faster.

You could delay Warp. You could also delay your first Stalker (contingent on not being Reaper harassed, of course), or cut probes/delay chrono on probes to get the #2 gas started before the pylon.

Unfortunately I can't test myself because I no longer have access to an SC2-capable computer... but you could certainly have Immortals out faster if you want them, which you might since they're what ends Marauder pressure.


2) Can you expand before adding the Stargate?

Depends on the situation, I would suspect a quick marine/tank push would kill me.

Really? I guess I've underestimated marine/tank pushes; I would think Zealot/Stalker/Immortal with a guardian shield would shut that down easily.

Guardian shield works well against it but youre relying on the immortal to kill the tanks(they'll have emp most def) they'll emp it and shut it down then your army just melts to the tank fire

However if you have charge most marine tank/ghost pushes will die pretty easily


emp theoretically nulls guardian, and theres no way you can support twilight council and charge and robo and stargate off 1 base

recognize me?
Cheerio
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Ukraine3178 Posts
July 13 2010 12:22 GMT
#39
this one is very good vs tank builds, good vs maradeur heavy build (rush is not a problem if you constantly use your 2 gates. And this is bad vs 3 rax marine heavy openings
Almisael
Profile Joined May 2010
Austria235 Posts
July 14 2010 13:42 GMT
#40
can anyone watch these replays? all i get is a black screen...
Prev 1 2 3 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 7m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech141
Codebar 18
StarCraft: Brood War
EffOrt 1276
Mini 936
Soma 648
actioN 442
Rush 435
Light 343
Horang2 341
Larva 314
BeSt 291
hero 262
[ Show more ]
Snow 257
Stork 255
ggaemo 224
Barracks 138
firebathero 128
Killer 122
Zeus 98
Sea.KH 85
Aegong 78
Shine 72
Mong 71
JYJ 62
Dewaltoss 52
Sharp 40
ToSsGirL 38
Shinee 37
soO 34
Sexy 32
Bale 28
sorry 16
zelot 16
Rock 15
Sacsri 14
Terrorterran 14
Icarus 9
JulyZerg 8
Dota 2
Gorgc7836
qojqva1882
Dendi707
420jenkins110
Counter-Strike
Fnx 710
kRYSTAL_101
x6flipin89
edward22
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes5270
Khaldor513
Other Games
gofns44522
singsing1676
B2W.Neo894
byalli519
Lowko414
DeMusliM225
Mlord186
Liquid`VortiX165
Livibee153
KnowMe141
ArmadaUGS112
Railgan20
Chillindude16
Trikslyr14
amsayoshi12
Organizations
Other Games
WardiTV232
BasetradeTV196
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream182
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 79
• mYiSmile114
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 26
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV413
League of Legends
• Nemesis2173
• Jankos1771
• TFBlade608
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
9h 7m
Kung Fu Cup
20h 7m
The PondCast
1d 19h
OSC
1d 22h
Replay Cast
2 days
CranKy Ducklings
3 days
Online Event
3 days
FEL
4 days
AI Arena Tournament
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.