• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:09
CEST 21:09
KST 04:09
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9218 users

[M] (2) Cassandra Gemini

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
SeinGalton
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
South Africa387 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-26 08:07:51
September 23 2014 14:06 GMT
#1
[image loading]
by SeinGalton
Published: [AM] [EU] [KR] [SEA]


Overview:
[image loading]

High res: http://i.imgur.com/Q2GLhV1.jpg

Map Info:
+ Show Spoiler +
Playable Bounds: 116x140
Full Bounds: 136x160
Bases: 8(8m2g) + 2(6g2hyg) + 2(6g2g1hyg)/dual expos
XNT: 0
Main to Main: ~50 sec
Placed Objects: 500 Doodads, 2 Spawns, 122 Units


Hospital Gown:
+ Show Spoiler +
Hello,

This is my first HoTS map, and for it I have hijacked the name and aesthetic theme of my last attempt. I've basically only played Zerg since release but recently picked up Terran thanks entirely to the performances to Maru and TY, especially in Proleague. Sucked to see them both drop out of the GSL earlier than they had been expected to, but then so that's what made me decide to try and make a map that would play to their playstyle.

I kinda wanna create this effect, for each of the players, of wearing one of those hospital gowns where your ass is all exposed, hence the main mineral lines mooning midfield, just begging to get doom-dropped. On top of that I tried to add as many proxy building sites, hidden tech blind spots in the main and nat, backdoor entrances, drop pods, abusable terrain (including one or two ridiculous siege tank placement locations) and gold bases as I could manage. (Aside: I really stayed away from the backdoor into the main for a very long time, keeping that expansion as a pseudo-island expo that could be ninja'd, but it seemed to me that the map was really asking for it (the backdoor).)

It's not my aim to create an outright broken map, but I suspect I failed, and that there are good reasons unknown to me for why most maps don't look like this -- I dunno, I haven't actually had time to playtest it very thoroughly. In fact, its publication is a little premature but I'd like some feedback on it. I've uploaded it to the EU, AM and KR servers.

It is still a WIP, so any feedback will definitely be appreciated and I'd love to hear what you guys make of whatever this passes for.


Bases:
+ Show Spoiler +
Main:
[image loading]

Natural:
[image loading]

Clockwise Third:
[image loading]

Backdoor Third:
[image loading]

Gold Third:
[image loading]

Shared Gold:
[image loading]


Aesthetics:
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]

[image loading]


Change Log:
+ Show Spoiler +
v0.4
- Reduced total doodad count to a crisp 500
- Subtle tweaks to the texturing to hopefully help with readability

v0.5
- Brightened up the terrain lighting a tad and fixed a variations bug
- Additional texture tweaks focused on increasing clarity
They're coming to get you, Barbara.
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
September 23 2014 17:21 GMT
#2
I'm torn. On one hand this is an incredibly beautiful map aesthetic, while on the other hand the visual implementation makes it really hard to read the map clearly. It's superb map art to the detriment of clarity in game play.

It's clear you've put a lot of work into this, however. Well done.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
OtherWorld
Profile Blog Joined October 2013
France17333 Posts
September 23 2014 17:24 GMT
#3
That map looks both beautiful and fun to play on, but the lightning (or at least I guess that's the lightning) makes it way too difficult to read (and probably to play on too)
Used Sigs - New Sigs - Cheap Sigs - Buy the Best Cheap Sig near You at www.cheapsigforsale.com
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
September 23 2014 19:18 GMT
#4
On September 24 2014 02:24 OtherWorld wrote:
That map looks both beautiful and fun to play on, but the lightning (or at least I guess that's the lightning) makes it way too difficult to read (and probably to play on too)

Not lighting, but the fact that the texture work, albeit beautiful, makes it incredibly difficult to tell where the cliff edges and ramps are.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Shkudde
Profile Joined February 2011
Netherlands709 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-23 20:35:00
September 23 2014 19:46 GMT
#5
I love all of the innovative things in this map.
Two golds per spawn making being in the middle of the map more important, a base that is reasonble to take from BOTH SIDES, a novel take on the backdoor expo.


Edit: nvm, I need to read things first.
$O$ | herO[jOin] | Zest hwaiting!
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
September 23 2014 20:32 GMT
#6
Very cool map.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
IeZaeL
Profile Joined July 2012
Italy991 Posts
September 23 2014 20:37 GMT
#7
Super cool , and layout is extremely well thought !
Author of Coda and Eastwatch.
SetGuitarsToKill
Profile Blog Joined December 2013
Canada28396 Posts
September 24 2014 00:48 GMT
#8
Really nice looking map with a really awesome name.
Community News"As long as you have a warp prism you can't be bad at harassment" - Maru | @SetGuitars2Kill
zelevin
Profile Joined January 2012
United States330 Posts
September 24 2014 16:56 GMT
#9
Is the main mineral line siegeable?
"You're the idiot, idiot. That's why your fuckin' name is Idiot." - Artosis to CSG
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
September 24 2014 19:14 GMT
#10
On September 25 2014 01:56 zelevin wrote:
Is the main mineral line siegeable?

Looks like it isn't. That would usually be a terrible map feature.
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-24 19:22:23
September 24 2014 19:21 GMT
#11
On September 25 2014 01:56 zelevin wrote:
Is the main mineral line siegeable?

At best you're looking at 1 or 2 mineral patches from sieging against the main cliff just outside the nat. If you let an opponent get a siege position right there, you're probably doing something wrong with your positioning and/or strategy vs. siege styles. The bigger issue you'd be facing would be your ramp being denied, though.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
SeinGalton
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
South Africa387 Posts
September 25 2014 07:48 GMT
#12
Hello

Thanks guys, I'm really glad that the overall response is more or less positive. Just a few replies:

@iamcaustic: Do you think this is a problem in the game or just on the overview? -- cuz I agree that the overview is a bit of a mess, but while in-game it's not the clearest map ever made I didn't find playing it particularly frustrating. That might just be the map creator speaking though.... I did try to position the lights and tweak the lighting on units+doodads vs terrain so that readability is maximized. Anycase, I have made some really subtle texture tweaks, which should help with the readability mid-map and a little with the minimap too.

@Shkudde, Plexa, leZaeL, SGTK: Thanks guys!

@zelevin, Templar, iamcaustic: You bet -- this is the ridiculous tank placement I was talking about, though as iamcaustic points out, if you fuck it all up and allow siegetanks to get into a good position you still only lose mining on like 2, max 3 patches. The best position for this is right at the base of the ramp, closest to the cliff. To siege up the main ramp, however, a siege tank will at least need to be at the top of that ramp outside that nat. Hopefully this is a feature that will make for the odd unorthodox build but isn't outright broken? I really wanted tanks to be amazing offensive units on this map.
They're coming to get you, Barbara.
AsAr
Profile Joined September 2012
Germany52 Posts
September 25 2014 16:48 GMT
#13
i love the aesthetics
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-25 17:39:53
September 25 2014 17:18 GMT
#14
On September 25 2014 16:48 SeinGalton wrote:
@iamcaustic: Do you think this is a problem in the game or just on the overview? -- cuz I agree that the overview is a bit of a mess, but while in-game it's not the clearest map ever made I didn't find playing it particularly frustrating. That might just be the map creator speaking though.... I did try to position the lights and tweak the lighting on units+doodads vs terrain so that readability is maximized. Anycase, I have made some really subtle texture tweaks, which should help with the readability mid-map and a little with the minimap too.

Depends on the individual's hardware/settings and other outside factors. People that have their gamma pumped up and in ideal lighting might not get as confused about cliff locations through fog of war and such, but say if there's a slight glare or something, it starts to become difficult to determine where a cliff might be when you're sending units off to un-scouted positions. This is just a quick example, but one even I've experienced on some maps that don't have clear visual differentiation between terrain levels.

At worst, you're looking at a real detriment to game play, while at best it becomes a slight inconvenience that breaks the player's concentration now and again.

EDIT: To talk more about this map in particular, I think you do a pretty solid job with doodads to help clarify cliff edging in a large number of cases where it'd otherwise be difficult to see what's going on (though there's still difficulty in quickly reading which cliff level you're looking at). There are still some spots, however, that are fully impacted by this difficulty.

A quick litmus test for visual clarity would be to step back into the eyes of someone watching a pro game on the map and asking yourself, "if the observer were to jump around a lot (as they always do), would I be able to quickly tell approximately where we're looking on the map without the mini map's assistance?"

Two most obvious areas:

1. Main/Nat/Backdoor all look identical, despite there being different cliff levels and the brick texture usage between main and nat obscure the actual location of the cliff, requiring dedicated focus to determine where exactly the cliff is.

2. Mid map has the brick texture span two cliff levels, merging the two cliff levels together visually while obscuring where the ramps start/end.

I have the exact same problem in one of my older maps, Khalani Sanctuary. You could even argue it's worse on Khalani. I'm currently in the middle of making an update to the map to fix the issues with visual clarity, so I figured I'd share this info with you for this map.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Kazahk
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
United States385 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-26 01:38:23
September 26 2014 01:36 GMT
#15
I was going to make a first post but i couldn't quite put what I wanted to say about this map into words, I think the aesthetics are beautiful and I love how the doodads contrast the terrain. In the end I think because the map is so far from standard it is kid of hard to read how the expo flow goes. As far as I can tell the most optimal way would be to grab the nat and break the backdoor rocks and take the base there; idk about taking a fourth on this map but it looks tough, not to mention a 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. In the end i have no clue how this map would play out besides doing an aggressive 3base timing for each race.

EDIT: shit missed the gold around the arch area between backdoor 3rd and nat. Now I really like this map and want to see how it would play out in the map pool.
Rngesus blessed me with a tooth half, then shunned me with a spinach roll.
SeinGalton
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
South Africa387 Posts
Last Edited: 2014-09-26 09:19:46
September 26 2014 09:04 GMT
#16
Thanks a ton guys.

@iamcaustic: Real good feedback, much obliged. I was hoping to remedy the disorienting effects of observing with some subtler cues, like splitting the map red vs blue with the crystal formations and the combs, having the naturals' and backdoor thirds' mineral lines all face different directions, etc., and I think those are all good things but yeah, they don't quite do it by themselves, do they. I've changed the texturing in the mains, which will hopefully help, and I screwed around a little with the texturing in the backdoor thirds to make them feel different to the nats. I've also messed a little bit with the texturing mid-map, but I don't think it quite cuts it and I'm going to revisit it over the weekend, see how I can bring out some more clarity in a way that makes sense aesthetically. Big thanks for the feedback, I feel it's really helping me here. EDIT: I see what you mean with Khalani Sanctuary but I really wanna see how you update it. It actually looks promising to me, like a compressed Whirlwind.

@Kazahk: Oh yeah, I don't really see players getting to like the supreme late game on here either, and if the games go long they will probably be really scrappy I guess. But it's something that I, being but a middling mapper, am kinda okay with -- I'm not on the level of designing the next Frost or Cloud Kingdom. Just wanted to do something that'll look cool and be really fun and frantic to play. I've only played a couple of test games on here but I've actually been pleasantly surprised so far, so I'm tentatively optimistic about it. Thanks for your thoughts, I'm glad to hear you like it.
They're coming to get you, Barbara.
iamcaustic
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada1509 Posts
September 26 2014 17:51 GMT
#17
The visual updates you've done here are a huge improvement IMO. Two thumbs up! On a side note, my own aesthetic work for my map has stalled because Destiny. *cough* Gotta get dat legendary armour... I can shoot you a PM when I've updated the map if you wish.
Twitter: @iamcaustic
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Monday Night Weeklies
01:00
#66
TKL 2011
RotterdaM977
TaKeTV 389
IndyStarCraft 191
SteadfastSC126
ZombieGrub96
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
TKL 2011
RotterdaM 977
IndyStarCraft 191
MaxPax 181
RuFF_SC2 133
SteadfastSC 126
ZombieGrub96
UpATreeSC 66
MindelVK 21
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 2942
Shuttle 561
Dewaltoss 104
910 74
Zeus 70
Mind 68
ToSsGirL 20
Bale 15
Dota 2
qojqva3542
Counter-Strike
fl0m6159
pashabiceps1275
Fnx 667
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4327
Liquid`Hasu471
Other Games
Beastyqt775
ceh9450
mouzStarbuck396
C9.Mang0152
ToD102
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV224
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream22
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• kabyraGe 121
• Reevou 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 15
• Eskiya23 11
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie790
• Shiphtur306
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 52m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 52m
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
15h 52m
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 4h
Patches Events
1d 20h
The PondCast
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
OSC
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
Patches Events
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.