• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:36
CEST 00:36
KST 07:36
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double1Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon105
StarCraft 2
General
Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack Recent patches and the Future StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16)
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Bot on ladder [ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8020 users

Thoughts on Mapping and TLMC #2 - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
July 10 2013 17:33 GMT
#81
Let's discount BW in its entirety then due to its poor graphics.

As far as RTS games and games in general go. Blizzard games aren't known to be lookers.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 10 2013 18:07 GMT
#82
It's not about graphic fidelity and realism. It's about aesthetic value and art direction. Fruitland isn't particularly intricate in its layout or artful in its application of the theme when compared to many other maps (no offense to Semmo, I think it's a fine map and quite a clever theme), yet it is lauded by many because of the choice in theme and aesthetic. It is colorful and whimsical.

Aesthetic design is about clarity and intrigue, which Blizzard has in spades.
sCnDiamond
Profile Joined January 2011
Germany340 Posts
July 10 2013 19:17 GMT
#83
On July 11 2013 02:04 RFDaemoniac wrote:
aesthetics are a first impression for a map. They are incredibly important to viewers and therefore discounting a map with poor aesthetics is entirely reasonable.
For the viewers yes, but not for the judges. They should only care in terms of gameplay. If the maps is promising in that regard, you can still make it look good. Remember Havens Lagoon? It's aesthetics were sub-par when it was released, but the concept behind the map was cool enough to give it a shot nonetheless.
formerly spinnaker.
Fatam
Profile Joined June 2012
1986 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-10 19:52:44
July 10 2013 19:51 GMT
#84
I am definitely in the camp of: 1) judge layouts 2) if a map wins, do or improve the aesthetics.

In general you would save mapmakers a lot of time.. at least mapmakers like me, who get joy out of this process by hammering out concepts/layouts, not doing aesthetics. Which I think is the great majority. For instance, if you find out your layout didn't win, you save a lot of time not doing the aesthetics. Whereas if you find out you've won, you are really inspired to do your very best on aesthetics (and possibly you can get someone to help you, too).

But I do not deny good aesthetics are important to the SC2 viewing experience, especially the casual viewing experience.
Search "FTM" in SC2 | Latest Maps: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/528528-2-ftm-siegfried-station http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/525489-2-ftm-crimson-aftermath http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/524737-2-ftm-grime
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
July 10 2013 20:22 GMT
#85
This is how I personally saw it:

While we were judging, we weren't aware of who made any of the maps. If a map was relatively barren, there was no way we could have been confident that it would have good aesthetics by the end of the process if it were picked. We also weren't sure of how much additional time people would have between the selection process and the TLOpen to touch up the maps. For example, even with the finalists we picked, some mappers had very little time to work on their maps in between.
Moderator
SidianTheBard
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2475 Posts
July 10 2013 20:25 GMT
#86
On July 11 2013 04:51 Fatam wrote:
I am definitely in the camp of: 1) judge layouts 2) if a map wins, do or improve the aesthetics.

In general you would save mapmakers a lot of time.. at least mapmakers like me, who get joy out of this process by hammering out concepts/layouts, not doing aesthetics. Which I think is the great majority. For instance, if you find out your layout didn't win, you save a lot of time not doing the aesthetics. Whereas if you find out you've won, you are really inspired to do your very best on aesthetics (and possibly you can get someone to help you, too).

But I do not deny good aesthetics are important to the SC2 viewing experience, especially the casual viewing experience.


Shit Fatam, let's work together. You supply me layouts, I'll do aesthetics! Whenever I make layouts It takes for forever to find something I actually like, but when I do find something I like I always have a blast creating the art of the map. I probably have thousands of 64x64 (or 72x72) layouts that I just have no interest in ever finishing because I think they're trash lol.
Creator of Abyssal Reef, Ascension to Aiur, Battle on the Boardwalk, Habitation Station, Honorgrounds, IPL Darkness Falls, King's Cove, Korhal Carnage Knockout & Moonlight Madness.
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
July 10 2013 20:30 GMT
#87
On July 11 2013 05:25 SidianTheBard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2013 04:51 Fatam wrote:
I am definitely in the camp of: 1) judge layouts 2) if a map wins, do or improve the aesthetics.

In general you would save mapmakers a lot of time.. at least mapmakers like me, who get joy out of this process by hammering out concepts/layouts, not doing aesthetics. Which I think is the great majority. For instance, if you find out your layout didn't win, you save a lot of time not doing the aesthetics. Whereas if you find out you've won, you are really inspired to do your very best on aesthetics (and possibly you can get someone to help you, too).

But I do not deny good aesthetics are important to the SC2 viewing experience, especially the casual viewing experience.


Shit Fatam, let's work together. You supply me layouts, I'll do aesthetics! Whenever I make layouts It takes for forever to find something I actually like, but when I do find something I like I always have a blast creating the art of the map. I probably have thousands of 64x64 (or 72x72) layouts that I just have no interest in ever finishing because I think they're trash lol.

Make outsider!
Moderator
SidianTheBard
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2475 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-10 20:38:24
July 10 2013 20:37 GMT
#88
On July 11 2013 05:30 monk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2013 05:25 SidianTheBard wrote:
On July 11 2013 04:51 Fatam wrote:
I am definitely in the camp of: 1) judge layouts 2) if a map wins, do or improve the aesthetics.

In general you would save mapmakers a lot of time.. at least mapmakers like me, who get joy out of this process by hammering out concepts/layouts, not doing aesthetics. Which I think is the great majority. For instance, if you find out your layout didn't win, you save a lot of time not doing the aesthetics. Whereas if you find out you've won, you are really inspired to do your very best on aesthetics (and possibly you can get someone to help you, too).

But I do not deny good aesthetics are important to the SC2 viewing experience, especially the casual viewing experience.


Shit Fatam, let's work together. You supply me layouts, I'll do aesthetics! Whenever I make layouts It takes for forever to find something I actually like, but when I do find something I like I always have a blast creating the art of the map. I probably have thousands of 64x64 (or 72x72) layouts that I just have no interest in ever finishing because I think they're trash lol.

Make outsider!


But 3p maps are such a pain in the ass >.< I've only completed 1 three player map ever and I'm pretty sure it was during the 3p only MotM tournament. Need to get Timmay in here, I swear that's all he does.
Creator of Abyssal Reef, Ascension to Aiur, Battle on the Boardwalk, Habitation Station, Honorgrounds, IPL Darkness Falls, King's Cove, Korhal Carnage Knockout & Moonlight Madness.
Meavis
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Netherlands1300 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-10 20:54:41
July 10 2013 20:43 GMT
#89
On July 11 2013 05:37 SidianTheBard wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2013 05:30 monk wrote:
On July 11 2013 05:25 SidianTheBard wrote:
On July 11 2013 04:51 Fatam wrote:
I am definitely in the camp of: 1) judge layouts 2) if a map wins, do or improve the aesthetics.

In general you would save mapmakers a lot of time.. at least mapmakers like me, who get joy out of this process by hammering out concepts/layouts, not doing aesthetics. Which I think is the great majority. For instance, if you find out your layout didn't win, you save a lot of time not doing the aesthetics. Whereas if you find out you've won, you are really inspired to do your very best on aesthetics (and possibly you can get someone to help you, too).

But I do not deny good aesthetics are important to the SC2 viewing experience, especially the casual viewing experience.


Shit Fatam, let's work together. You supply me layouts, I'll do aesthetics! Whenever I make layouts It takes for forever to find something I actually like, but when I do find something I like I always have a blast creating the art of the map. I probably have thousands of 64x64 (or 72x72) layouts that I just have no interest in ever finishing because I think they're trash lol.

Make outsider!


But 3p maps are such a pain in the ass >.< I've only completed 1 three player map ever and I'm pretty sure it was during the 3p only MotM tournament. Need to get Timmay in here, I swear that's all he does.


I think I can help making the layout for it =)
edit: btw, should I make a full replica or make some changes?
"Not you."
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-07-10 21:40:20
July 10 2013 21:16 GMT
#90
On July 11 2013 05:30 monk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2013 05:25 SidianTheBard wrote:
On July 11 2013 04:51 Fatam wrote:
I am definitely in the camp of: 1) judge layouts 2) if a map wins, do or improve the aesthetics.

In general you would save mapmakers a lot of time.. at least mapmakers like me, who get joy out of this process by hammering out concepts/layouts, not doing aesthetics. Which I think is the great majority. For instance, if you find out your layout didn't win, you save a lot of time not doing the aesthetics. Whereas if you find out you've won, you are really inspired to do your very best on aesthetics (and possibly you can get someone to help you, too).

But I do not deny good aesthetics are important to the SC2 viewing experience, especially the casual viewing experience.


Shit Fatam, let's work together. You supply me layouts, I'll do aesthetics! Whenever I make layouts It takes for forever to find something I actually like, but when I do find something I like I always have a blast creating the art of the map. I probably have thousands of 64x64 (or 72x72) layouts that I just have no interest in ever finishing because I think they're trash lol.

Make outsider!


Thoughts on my attempt? either for me or for others who are going to attempt outsider?

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=364827&currentpage=64#1275
Meavis
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Netherlands1300 Posts
July 10 2013 22:19 GMT
#91
On July 11 2013 05:30 monk wrote:
Make outsider!


layout somewhat done
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dp2e8eoebzff1sx
+ Show Spoiler [original] +
[image loading]

"Not you."
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
July 10 2013 22:21 GMT
#92
On July 11 2013 05:22 monk wrote:
This is how I personally saw it:

While we were judging, we weren't aware of who made any of the maps.
How can this be if some of the maps submitted were already well known before the contest begun?
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
RFDaemoniac
Profile Joined September 2011
United States544 Posts
July 10 2013 22:42 GMT
#93
On July 11 2013 07:19 19Meavis93 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2013 05:30 monk wrote:
Make outsider!


layout somewhat done
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dp2e8eoebzff1sx
+ Show Spoiler [original] +
[image loading]



The goal imo is not to copy as closely as possible from BroodWar. The engine is different, the mechanics are different. An in-base gasless expansion is much less valuable in SC2 than it was in BW. The goal is maintain the spirit and strategy of the map. The rush distances look to be about 40 seconds, is that accurate? That's a little too short for rush strategies to be defended and then you barely get to see the map played at all.
jon osterman
Profile Joined June 2013
71 Posts
July 29 2013 09:35 GMT
#94
So.. any further thoughts..?

ps: why is the tlmc thread not on custom subforum?
do a dear .. a female dear .. ray a drop of golden son .. me a name i call myself, fa a long long way to run
monk
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States8477 Posts
October 28 2013 07:10 GMT
#95
Bump for relevance and stuff.
Moderator
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-28 07:38:54
October 28 2013 07:34 GMT
#96
On July 11 2013 07:42 RFDaemoniac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2013 07:19 19Meavis93 wrote:
On July 11 2013 05:30 monk wrote:
Make outsider!


layout somewhat done
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dp2e8eoebzff1sx
+ Show Spoiler [original] +
[image loading]



The goal imo is not to copy as closely as possible from BroodWar. The engine is different, the mechanics are different. An in-base gasless expansion is much less valuable in SC2 than it was in BW. The goal is maintain the spirit and strategy of the map. The rush distances look to be about 40 seconds, is that accurate? That's a little too short for rush strategies to be defended and then you barely get to see the map played at all.
An inbase gasless expo is less valuable because no strategies currently exist that make use of it but I can practically guarantee you that if a KeSPA team is supposed to practice for that map on proleague the coaches and teams will come together and invent an ingenious strategy which takes full advantage of it.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
Qikz
Profile Blog Joined November 2009
United Kingdom12056 Posts
October 28 2013 10:39 GMT
#97
On October 28 2013 16:34 SiskosGoatee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 11 2013 07:42 RFDaemoniac wrote:
On July 11 2013 07:19 19Meavis93 wrote:
On July 11 2013 05:30 monk wrote:
Make outsider!


layout somewhat done
+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]
download: http://www.mediafire.com/?dp2e8eoebzff1sx
+ Show Spoiler [original] +
[image loading]



The goal imo is not to copy as closely as possible from BroodWar. The engine is different, the mechanics are different. An in-base gasless expansion is much less valuable in SC2 than it was in BW. The goal is maintain the spirit and strategy of the map. The rush distances look to be about 40 seconds, is that accurate? That's a little too short for rush strategies to be defended and then you barely get to see the map played at all.
An inbase gasless expo is less valuable because no strategies currently exist that make use of it but I can practically guarantee you that if a KeSPA team is supposed to practice for that map on proleague the coaches and teams will come together and invent an ingenious strategy which takes full advantage of it.


Also I've never understood why they're "useless" because two, well three or four of the main used units cost only minerals. Then you've got the buildings that produce them which are also just minerals. You've got Hatcheries, Gateways and Barracks, the three main buildings then you have zerglings, zealots and marines. All of which cost minerals. Also with a bigger mineral income you can expand quicker.
FanTaSy's #1 Fan | STPL Caster/Organiser | SKT BEST KT | https://twitch.tv/stpl
SiskosGoatee
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
Albania1482 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-10-28 11:55:55
October 28 2013 10:55 GMT
#98
Well, you stil need to invest the minerals first and workers also take up supply most imporatntly, you invest supply into mining from a mineral only.

That said, I'm pretty sure there exist some pretty solid heavy marine/zealot/zergling strategies that a KeSPA team can refine. In the current mid-lategame ZvT both Z and T tend to be mineral starved with a considerable gas bank, I don't think either race would say no to being able to put a macro hatch at some juicy minerals slash float their main over to some free minerals.
WCS Apartheid cometh, all hail the casual audience, death to merit and hard work.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 11h 24m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 130
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 323
White-Ra 177
910 48
NaDa 33
Dota 2
monkeys_forever185
NeuroSwarm132
Super Smash Bros
PPMD84
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby8828
Liquid`Hasu1524
Trikslyr86
Other Games
summit1g8560
Liquid`RaSZi3372
shahzam551
JimRising 315
B2W.Neo182
Pyrionflax157
C9.Mang0142
ArmadaUGS94
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream311
Other Games
BasetradeTV191
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 90
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• TFBlade1021
Other Games
• imaqtpie1131
• Shiphtur186
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
11h 24m
Afreeca Starleague
11h 24m
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 1h
Kung Fu Cup
1d 12h
The PondCast
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
4 days
Online Event
4 days
FEL
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.