• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:48
CEST 06:48
KST 13:48
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)54Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7416 users

[M] (4) ESV Golden Valley - Page 3

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-29 07:45:20
June 29 2012 07:30 GMT
#41
Great Map. I like the half-thirds.
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
SanD__
Profile Joined August 2011
Netherlands28 Posts
June 29 2012 12:47 GMT
#42
Sweet aesthetics, the texture looks very natural and I like the Doodads that you have added. I am very interested to see how the map mechanics will play out, so I will definitely watch the ESV TV Korean Weekly Open this weekend.
Continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential. -Winston S. Churchill
winpark
Profile Joined January 2011
Korea (South)68 Posts
June 29 2012 16:34 GMT
#43
really "a BIT inspired by Whirlwind"?
Winpark, author of Daybreak, Whirlwind, and Merry go round, SC2 Mapping team CruX
Superouman
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
France2195 Posts
June 29 2012 17:12 GMT
#44
No need to be inspired by whirlwind, this expand layout is very standard
Search "[SO]" on B.net to find all my maps ||| Cloud Kingdom / Turbo Cruise '84 / Bone Temple / Eternal Empire / Zen / Purity and Industry / Golden Wall / Fortitude / Beckett Industries / Waterfall
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
June 29 2012 17:15 GMT
#45
On June 29 2012 16:30 kim9067 wrote:
Great Map. I like the half-thirds.

Thanks.

On June 29 2012 21:47 SanD__ wrote:
Sweet aesthetics, the texture looks very natural and I like the Doodads that you have added. I am very interested to see how the map mechanics will play out, so I will definitely watch the ESV TV Korean Weekly Open this weekend.

Thanks, I'll try to get some close-up shots done soon.

On June 30 2012 01:34 winpark wrote:
really "a BIT inspired by Whirlwind"?

Maybe more than a bit. It was originally a 2p though, which gave a very different impression. The emphasis of that map was supposed to be the bridge and central high ground pod, which I hope remains true even in this version, but I agree that it's similar to Whirlwind in the overall impression you get looking at it.

To be honest I thought it was too much like Whirlwind to be an ESV map and used in the KW. You can blame Diamond for that.

Fortunately I think, while they look similar, they will play quite differently, so the actual product that the viewers are getting won't be impaired too much, even if I'm embarrassed to have a map that's so similar to another one used in tournament play.
all's fair in love and melodies
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-29 17:23:49
June 29 2012 17:23 GMT
#46
On June 30 2012 02:12 Superouman wrote:
No need to be inspired by whirlwind, this expand layout is very standard

its practically the same map =/ well at least when whirlwind was 6min1gas at all 3rds
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Aeceus
Profile Joined September 2011
United Kingdom1278 Posts
June 29 2012 17:27 GMT
#47
What does it really offer that Whirlwind doesn't? From what i've seen they are pretty much the same map
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-29 18:36:56
June 29 2012 18:33 GMT
#48
On June 30 2012 02:23 Plexa wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2012 02:12 Superouman wrote:
No need to be inspired by whirlwind, this expand layout is very standard

its practically the same map =/ well at least when whirlwind was 6min1gas at all 3rds

I feel that although it's similar to a suspicious degree, it will still play differently. Being a smaller map, with 3rd's and 4th's that have less resources, the games on it will probably feel more aggressive, and less passive like what Whirlwind lends to. All that said, however, I'm not impressed with the map overall, it's more or less a copy of a bone-standard map, and I don't think it should be an ESV map. Note I say the map, not the mapmaker, I do hope Gfire's next idea is more interesting, and with ESV's help it will become something worth making. We'll see.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
June 30 2012 03:04 GMT
#49
I actually edited my comment from saying that it was too similar to Whirlwind to the compliment, but since the original mapmaker's here, I guess I'll say my thoughts.
Even whirlwind had a similar idea of half-thirds, and then he scrapped it. So basically, this map would be a prototype of whirlwind, which i really don't like. Most of ESV's maps were original - I don't think so with this one. Sorry...

Almost everything is the same, except the center, which in it self is also similar to an earlier version of whirlwind.
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-07-19 19:00:36
July 19 2012 18:47 GMT
#50
I'm trying out some new custom textures for the map. What do you guys think?

+ Show Spoiler [before] +
[image loading]

+ Show Spoiler [after] +
[image loading]


+ Show Spoiler [closeups] +
[image loading]

[image loading]


Poll: Are the new colors good?

Completely Ugly (16)
 
41%

Great (13)
 
33%

Neutral (10)
 
26%

39 total votes

Your vote: Are the new colors good?

(Vote): Completely Ugly
(Vote): Neutral
(Vote): Great




Edit: Btw, can a mod change the title of this thread to "[M] (4) ESV Golden Valley" please?
all's fair in love and melodies
ScorpSCII
Profile Joined April 2012
Denmark499 Posts
July 19 2012 18:52 GMT
#51
I like the new colors, but still dislike the dirt areas. You could try mix in a bit of grass in there as well.
Mapmaker | Author of Atlas, Rao Mesa & Paralda
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
July 19 2012 19:02 GMT
#52
Sure, I'll add some more grass to the dirty areas.

I also added a few closeups to show the new textures.
all's fair in love and melodies
Blazinghand *
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States25562 Posts
July 19 2012 19:17 GMT
#53
On June 30 2012 02:27 Aeceus wrote:
What does it really offer that Whirlwind doesn't? From what i've seen they are pretty much the same map


The center of this map has some interesting hills. I think the hill features there are pretty different from whirlwind, even if the basic layout and geo features on the outside are the same.
When you stare into the iCCup, the iCCup stares back.
TL+ Member
LemonyTang
Profile Joined March 2011
United Kingdom437 Posts
July 19 2012 19:52 GMT
#54
I played this map on doa's show 'cartographer' in a TvZ where I went mech into sky terran. I'm a big fan of playing new maps, but I didn't really like this one too much. My criticism is from a terran perspective, especially a gas hungry one so I apologise in advance for bias.

It just feels to me like there's not enough bases, especially with how open the centre of the map is, the gap between your fourth and expanding to a new natural feels very difficult to move to, because the map is still relatively small.

The map also plays very strangely in non-cross positions, but that isn't so much of an issue I guess. I do like how many great positions there are to move around with, especially as you take the third base and set up your defensive position.

The new textures are more fitting to the map name I suppose, but I don't get why mapmakers, blizzard or otherwise, insist on making maps that are so depressing with their textures. This is just my opinion but I'd love to see more maps with tilesets like ohana, frigid pass etc..
Mvp #1
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
July 19 2012 20:08 GMT
#55
On July 20 2012 04:17 Blazinghand wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 30 2012 02:27 Aeceus wrote:
What does it really offer that Whirlwind doesn't? From what i've seen they are pretty much the same map


The center of this map has some interesting hills. I think the hill features there are pretty different from whirlwind, even if the basic layout and geo features on the outside are the same.

Yeah, I at least find the games on it interesting and not too similar to whirlwind. But the concepts aren't too different so I don't think there's really room to have, say, both in the same map pool.

On July 20 2012 04:52 LemonyTang wrote:
I played this map on doa's show 'cartographer' in a TvZ where I went mech into sky terran. I'm a big fan of playing new maps, but I didn't really like this one too much. My criticism is from a terran perspective, especially a gas hungry one so I apologise in advance for bias.

It just feels to me like there's not enough bases, especially with how open the centre of the map is, the gap between your fourth and expanding to a new natural feels very difficult to move to, because the map is still relatively small.

The map also plays very strangely in non-cross positions, but that isn't so much of an issue I guess. I do like how many great positions there are to move around with, especially as you take the third base and set up your defensive position.


Yeah, I could see how mech could be tough vs zerg on this map. Maybe the tight chokes and forward positions can make up for the difficulty to get gas as T, but it does feel like you'd be better off trying more drop play with bio. Cross positions feel a little hard for TvZ post-patch, as I did make this before then. Hopefully there'll be some mech TvZs in the KW so we get some more games to compare.

The new textures are more fitting to the map name I suppose, but I don't get why mapmakers, blizzard or otherwise, insist on making maps that are so depressing with their textures. This is just my opinion but I'd love to see more maps with tilesets like ohana, frigid pass etc..

Well, I suppose it's fairly subjective. Generally I try to use bright lighting so it's not depressing. I think lighting might contribute to the feeling more than textures. I find the darker tilesets look really nice with brighter lighting.

Still, I think everyone feels differently about what's depressing and what's not. A snow map, for me, is far more depressing than this, so it was interesting to me that you brought that up.
all's fair in love and melodies
NewSunshine
Profile Joined July 2011
United States5938 Posts
July 19 2012 20:29 GMT
#56
On July 20 2012 05:08 Gfire wrote:
Still, I think everyone feels differently about what's depressing and what's not. A snow map, for me, is far more depressing than this, so it was interesting to me that you brought that up.

WUT.

Anyway, I say completely ugly. Not only do I think the original is straight up better looking, but I like how it fit the name in a not so direct way, the atmosphere created by all the elements fits the name golden valley, but now the textures are screaming "LOOK, IT'S GOLD". Honestly, I've seen a few games on it so far, and the original aesthetic was better than I thought it would be, I don't think this is an improvement. Stick with what you've got.
"If you find yourself feeling lost, take pride in the accuracy of your feelings." - Night Vale
RUFinalBoss
Profile Joined May 2012
United States266 Posts
July 19 2012 22:22 GMT
#57
thank you for this :D gogo ESV
Story Of My SC2 Love Life, Meets ROOT. ROOT Disbands :( JOINS COL :D COL JOINS MVP :D HYPE! Col.MvP go byebye ): BUT THEN! ROOT GAMING IS BACK OMGOMGOMG qxc - Minigun - ROOTerdam - Catz - Drewbie - TaiLS - KeeN
Semmo
Profile Joined June 2011
Korea (South)627 Posts
July 19 2012 23:40 GMT
#58
On July 20 2012 05:29 NewSunshine wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 20 2012 05:08 Gfire wrote:
Still, I think everyone feels differently about what's depressing and what's not. A snow map, for me, is far more depressing than this, so it was interesting to me that you brought that up.

WUT.

Anyway, I say completely ugly. Not only do I think the original is straight up better looking, but I like how it fit the name in a not so direct way, the atmosphere created by all the elements fits the name golden valley, but now the textures are screaming "LOOK, IT'S GOLD". Honestly, I've seen a few games on it so far, and the original aesthetic was better than I thought it would be, I don't think this is an improvement. Stick with what you've got.


Snow maps are kinda depressing... Like no life and everything.
The MOST depressing map though, is one of those maps where it's theres like protoss cliffs with natural cliffs, it's so ergh... If you do it right, it's ok, but just doing it badly makes it depressing.

The new textures aren't gold. We need more golden textures.
Mapmaker of Frost, Fruitland and Bridgehead
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
July 29 2012 18:17 GMT
#59
I updated the map a bit. There's now a quite small gap between the mains and the adjacent thirds. I also added some closeup shots to the OP.
all's fair in love and melodies
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
July 29 2012 18:57 GMT
#60
On July 30 2012 03:17 Gfire wrote:
I updated the map a bit. There's now a quite small gap between the mains and the adjacent thirds. I also added some closeup shots to the OP.


Just to take out the cliffwalk?
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
Prev 1 2 3 4 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
00:00
OSC Elite Rising Star #21
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech137
Nina 106
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2111
Shuttle 1037
Snow 106
Dewaltoss 66
Bale 36
Hm[arnc] 36
Noble 29
Icarus 6
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm151
League of Legends
JimRising 615
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1127
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor612
Other Games
summit1g8380
C9.Mang0309
PiGStarcraft277
Mew2King176
RuFF_SC2158
ViBE57
ArmadaUGS46
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream77
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 21
• Response 16
• Letter147
• intothetv
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2348
League of Legends
• Lourlo1125
• Rush870
• Stunt296
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
8h 12m
OSC
17h 12m
CranKy Ducklings
1d 5h
Online Event
1d 6h
FEL
1d 11h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 12h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 14h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.