• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 09:44
CEST 15:44
KST 22:44
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
[Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7750 users

[M] (2) TPW Elder Roots

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
1 2 Next All
Icetoad
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada262 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-29 22:57:46
January 02 2012 17:31 GMT
#1
[image loading]
TPW Elder Roots v.1.3
Made by Icetoad and re-textured by Mereel
Published on : NA/EU
Map bounds: 144x134
Map Overview:[image loading]
Introduction:
+ Show Spoiler +
It's been a while since I haven't made a map, since Althea, in which there was I find a concept flaw in it. So for the pass couple of month, I was trying to make a map with a good concept. It took a while and while I was searching for a good layout I stumble upon a BW map called Eros Route. Easily we can see that porting it 1:1 would play terrible in sc2, so I decided to try to take the key concept of the map that could be taken and use it. In the first version of the map it resemble a lot the BW version, but it changed a lot since now. Why did I like this concept? Well I really liked how the pathing of the map played out, going to the nat was in a ''S'' form and how if you want to go the fastest way possible you had to take a choky path and you could get easily ambush. If you wanted to be more safe you had to go on the high ground, but you had a longer way to reach the opponent. This was really the key concept I liked about this BW map. Sadly, with comment and play testing I had to make the 2 high ground connect.


Angled View:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


Analyzer:+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading][image loading][image loading]

(Note: in the analyzer image the tower sees less because the range of the tower are of 20 not 22)
Specific Area of the map:
+ Show Spoiler +
Main:[image loading]
Natural:[image loading]
Third:[image loading]
Forth:[image loading]
Fifth:[image loading]
Middle:[image loading]


Aesthetic details:
+ Show Spoiler +
Texture used:
+ Show Spoiler +
Aiur small brick
Korhal grass
Korhal dirt
Port Zion dirt
Port Zion grass
Aiur Rock
Tarsonis Rubble
Cliffs used:
Aiur Manmade Cliff
Haven Organic Cliffs

Bel'shir lighting


Change log:
0.9
-Making it official public on TL.
v1.0
-Changed lighting to Bel'shir, I had many people complaining about Igrok lighting of Poizone.
-Reduced the LoSB number and nah acts more like aesthetic vegetation.
-Removed the Highest High ground on the ovi spot where you can FFE. Also changed a bit the doodad near it.
-The high ground hook on top of the open space of the nat is reduced. (Changed suggested by a176)
I hope you go play the map and like it. Please share any worries about possible Imbalance.
1.1
- Added path restriction on reaper path where there was some imbalance because Terran could drop tank on the high ground that way sieging a part of the main.
- Added the TPW tag.
1.3
- Changed the Natural layout, choke is 3 3x3 building
- Main was slightly reshape
- Layout was slightly changed
- Map completely re-textured and dooaded by Mereel (some small change of my part)
Map Maker of Nimbus
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
January 02 2012 18:57 GMT
#2
im glad to see some maps with spawns in the middle. theres alot of potential in this map, i like alot.

criticisms;
remove all the LOS blockers
im a little concerned about the middle area, the chokes are a bit on the small side, and the higher cliff protrudes just a tad too close to the enemy base for me. you could probably move them over a bit (maybe 3 ~ 4 squares) without totally messing with the overall look of the map and giving the defending player a bit more room to manoeuvre.
starleague forever
Mereel
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany895 Posts
January 02 2012 19:44 GMT
#3
that is an awesome map. really got that bw feeling i think. the only thing i dont like all that much is the texturing work, but thats just a personal opinion, everyone has their own style.
things i would change:
- remove the little highground in the natural choke, make it 3gateway blockable with rocks on the side

TPW Mapmaking Team
hoby2000
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States918 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 20:57:50
January 02 2012 20:48 GMT
#4
I'm not really a map maker, but a lot of advice I see given is the ramp from main to natural. I would love to be corrected here, but shouldn't the ramp face the natural instead of looking past it? Here's a picture of what I mean: WARNING: These are not EXACT corrections, but more me just trying to explain an idea. I'm not sure where the ramp would go exactly, this is just placement advice relative to the natural.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


So you could do your ramp either way in my opinion, but I could be wrong. The arrow to the left is leading straight to the natural as you see - this has a small disadvantage to the arrow on the right because the ramp is still a little open to intrusion, where as the arrow on the right faces it away from any incoming attacks, giving you small time boost before they can get to your ramp.

I think this is also to help the player get their natural more easily by either blocking off, or being more easily able to defend both the ramp and the natural. I feel like your setup is a lot like Abyssal Caverns (among other blizzard maps) where you're forced at an early point in the game as zerg to defend either the natural or the ramp.

Like I said, I could be wrong here and I'm just asking based off my experience on playing other maps and reading other map maker's comments.


Other than that though, I like it quite a bit. Someone mentioned above how awesome the spawns are in the middle, and I didn't even realize that other maps didn't do that! haha.


EDIT: I'm not sure if I explained myself well enough, so I hope you understand.


EDIT #2: Also, I realize that you would probably have to do some adjustments to the main and the choke leading to the natural, but I'm not a map maker so I have no idea what you would do to fix that if you were to change the ramp. Sorry! :/
A lesson without pain is meaningless for nothing can be gained without giving something in return.
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
January 02 2012 21:11 GMT
#5
On January 03 2012 05:48 hoby2000 wrote:
I'm not really a map maker, but a lot of advice I see given is the ramp from main to natural. I would love to be corrected here, but shouldn't the ramp face the natural instead of looking past it? Here's a picture of what I mean: WARNING: These are not EXACT corrections, but more me just trying to explain an idea. I'm not sure where the ramp would go exactly, this is just placement advice relative to the natural.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


So you could do your ramp either way in my opinion, but I could be wrong. The arrow to the left is leading straight to the natural as you see - this has a small disadvantage to the arrow on the right because the ramp is still a little open to intrusion, where as the arrow on the right faces it away from any incoming attacks, giving you small time boost before they can get to your ramp.

I think this is also to help the player get their natural more easily by either blocking off, or being more easily able to defend both the ramp and the natural. I feel like your setup is a lot like Abyssal Caverns (among other blizzard maps) where you're forced at an early point in the game as zerg to defend either the natural or the ramp.

Like I said, I could be wrong here and I'm just asking based off my experience on playing other maps and reading other map maker's comments.


Other than that though, I like it quite a bit. Someone mentioned above how awesome the spawns are in the middle, and I didn't even realize that other maps didn't do that! haha.


EDIT: I'm not sure if I explained myself well enough, so I hope you understand.


EDIT #2: Also, I realize that you would probably have to do some adjustments to the main and the choke leading to the natural, but I'm not a map maker so I have no idea what you would do to fix that if you were to change the ramp. Sorry! :/


normally the nat would be positioned so that you can do FFE for protoss. but he added an 'overlord pod', that piece of raised terrain that overlords can hover over for vision. it also acts as a choke for the FE buildings. for zerg in particular, creep tumors need to be spread towards the ramp anyways, so when the creep starts getting on the lower terrain, you can place buildings there to wall off in the same manner.

its a good observation, but this is just a different style of map. zergs cant be as passive in defense on this map, yes just like abyssal, but that isn't a bad thing
starleague forever
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
January 02 2012 21:34 GMT
#6
I like this map, though it leans towards 5 base splits...

however i like the base layout and locations. look to see this in GSL soon.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
Icetoad
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada262 Posts
January 02 2012 21:41 GMT
#7
@a176
Why should I remove the LOSB? I find it adds a bit of game play attention to your unit and makes ambush stronger. Also concerning the high ground thing, I'm trying to see if I should do that change. Only more testing will show if I should.
Also about the natural you well explained the ramp thing. Right now to fully wall-off you need 1 forge+1gateway.
@Mereel
I think you dislike the texture of the highground? Because this is also the area I dislike and I want to work on it.
Map Maker of Nimbus
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
January 02 2012 22:12 GMT
#8
i dont really see the need for them on the map. the paths are pretty narrow as is, and you have those raised terrain(s) scattered around the map, so vision is already reduced in that manner. they are just extra and unneeded punishment for both attacker and defender
starleague forever
RumbleBadger
Profile Joined July 2011
322 Posts
January 02 2012 22:16 GMT
#9
I really like a lot about this map. It's just really neat. The more I look at it I just get this little fuzzy feeling inside.

Some things I especially like:
A lot of the cliff and ramp and layout work is just brilliant. It's new and vogue and exciting, but still great proportions. As examples: the forked ramp in front of the third is really cool, and the parallel high ground and low ground in front of the fifth. The plateaus with the fourths on them and the central spine of high ground is well designed in general, and aesthetically appealing.
The aesthetics in general are beautiful imo, very simple in some spots but just stunning. Then again I'm a sucker for omni lights... but even the texturing seems very well done. Just dandy.

Although, I don't think the watchtowers are really necessary. The gameplay works fine with them as they are, but I think they could probably be removed... up to you.

Overall, a really, really cool map.
Games before dames.
Randomaccount#77123
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States5003 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-01-02 23:43:14
January 02 2012 23:41 GMT
#10
--- Nuked ---
Icetoad
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada262 Posts
January 03 2012 15:38 GMT
#11
@a176
I will remove some LoSB, but I want to keep some random scattered around the map that way giving it a bit more vegetation in term of aesthetic.

@RumbleBadger
The tower were something I had a hard time deciding where to put it because I feel that the map would work without tower, but the map has to much attack path to not have towers.

@Barrin
Barrin we can't always make fun maps and I was aiming this time for a solid map.

Change log v. 0.10:
-Changed lighting to Bel'shir, I had many people complaining about Igrok lighting of Poizone.
-Reduced the LoSB number and nah acts more like aesthetic vegetation.
-Removed the Highest High ground on the ovi spot where you can FFE. Also changed a bit the doodad near it.
-The high ground hook on top of the open space of the nat is reduced. (Changed suggested by a176)

Most of the image should be updated.
Map Maker of Nimbus
ihasaKAROT
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands4730 Posts
January 03 2012 15:43 GMT
#12
Nice work sir , cool concept (not sure if its new, havent been around much ) , middle spawns ftw!

Path leading up and down from spawns might be a little too long without anything there...
KCCO!
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
January 03 2012 19:16 GMT
#13
I'm really curious to see how this layout plays out, it looks awesome.
Icetoad
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada262 Posts
January 03 2012 19:23 GMT
#14
@ihasaKAROT
Well the path I find is okay and the problem is that I could never add a base in the middle, since it would be so close.

@FoxyMayhem
Well you can go test it and see how it will play out :D
Map Maker of Nimbus
hoby2000
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States918 Posts
January 03 2012 20:07 GMT
#15
On January 03 2012 06:11 a176 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 03 2012 05:48 hoby2000 wrote:
I'm not really a map maker, but a lot of advice I see given is the ramp from main to natural. I would love to be corrected here, but shouldn't the ramp face the natural instead of looking past it? Here's a picture of what I mean: WARNING: These are not EXACT corrections, but more me just trying to explain an idea. I'm not sure where the ramp would go exactly, this is just placement advice relative to the natural.

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]


So you could do your ramp either way in my opinion, but I could be wrong. The arrow to the left is leading straight to the natural as you see - this has a small disadvantage to the arrow on the right because the ramp is still a little open to intrusion, where as the arrow on the right faces it away from any incoming attacks, giving you small time boost before they can get to your ramp.

I think this is also to help the player get their natural more easily by either blocking off, or being more easily able to defend both the ramp and the natural. I feel like your setup is a lot like Abyssal Caverns (among other blizzard maps) where you're forced at an early point in the game as zerg to defend either the natural or the ramp.

Like I said, I could be wrong here and I'm just asking based off my experience on playing other maps and reading other map maker's comments.


Other than that though, I like it quite a bit. Someone mentioned above how awesome the spawns are in the middle, and I didn't even realize that other maps didn't do that! haha.


EDIT: I'm not sure if I explained myself well enough, so I hope you understand.


EDIT #2: Also, I realize that you would probably have to do some adjustments to the main and the choke leading to the natural, but I'm not a map maker so I have no idea what you would do to fix that if you were to change the ramp. Sorry! :/


normally the nat would be positioned so that you can do FFE for protoss. but he added an 'overlord pod', that piece of raised terrain that overlords can hover over for vision. it also acts as a choke for the FE buildings. for zerg in particular, creep tumors need to be spread towards the ramp anyways, so when the creep starts getting on the lower terrain, you can place buildings there to wall off in the same manner.

its a good observation, but this is just a different style of map. zergs cant be as passive in defense on this map, yes just like abyssal, but that isn't a bad thing



Ahh, I see. So my suggestion was because I'm a bad player - haha. I don't usually have creep spread to my natural by then so I was thinking only from MY point of view, but I could see that if a good zerg player was on this map, they would be able to block off quickly. I still question whether or not they would have enough time from when the first tumor was down to be able to spread fast enough to block off the ramp, but I will do some tests because I can only theorize so much.

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it.
A lesson without pain is meaningless for nothing can be gained without giving something in return.
ZealotKiller
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada161 Posts
January 03 2012 22:50 GMT
#16
Thanks for changing the lighting! I don't know why, but it felt kinda scary to me. (No disrespect to Igrok, it was really original, but I guess I simply wasn't used to it)
I just like liking things.
a176
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada6688 Posts
January 04 2012 00:56 GMT
#17
On January 04 2012 00:38 Icetoad wrote:
@a176
I will remove some LoSB, but I want to keep some random scattered around the map that way giving it a bit more vegetation in term of aesthetic.


theres some doodads you can use, i believe its called jungle brush, underbrush, jungle plants, or something of that sort.
starleague forever
Icetoad
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada262 Posts
January 04 2012 01:22 GMT
#18
On January 04 2012 09:56 a176 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 04 2012 00:38 Icetoad wrote:
@a176
I will remove some LoSB, but I want to keep some random scattered around the map that way giving it a bit more vegetation in term of aesthetic.


theres some doodads you can use, i believe its called jungle brush, underbrush, jungle plants, or something of that sort.

What I meant by vegetation was vegetation in the middle of the map that wouldn't affect pathing and that would look a bit like long grass in a plain.
Map Maker of Nimbus
Icetoad
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada262 Posts
January 15 2012 16:46 GMT
#19
Change log:
1.1
- Added path restriction on reaper path where there was some imbalance because Terran could drop tank on the high ground that way sieging a part of the main.
- Added the TPW tag.
Map Maker of Nimbus
The_Templar
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
your Country52798 Posts
January 15 2012 17:05 GMT
#20
Taking 5 bases looks really easy and could lead to split map scenarios.
ModeratorI am still alive, somehow
TL+ Member
1 2 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Kung Fu Cup
20:00
Kung Fu Cup Weekly #26
IntoTheiNu 1049
RotterdaM555
SteadfastSC284
TKL 207
Rex117
CosmosSc2 30
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 555
SteadfastSC 284
TKL 207
Rex 117
CosmosSc2 30
Codebar 25
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 43547
Shuttle 2518
Jaedong 1476
Horang2 778
Mini 554
actioN 506
EffOrt 499
Soulkey 483
Stork 307
Larva 279
[ Show more ]
Soma 233
BeSt 219
ZerO 210
Rush 204
Snow 196
firebathero 129
Last 125
Mong 124
Zeus 102
910 74
Free 70
Mind 67
Hyun 66
hero 58
Sharp 53
Yoon 48
PianO 38
sorry 37
Shinee 36
Pusan 33
JYJ 30
Calm 27
Shine 27
Bale 26
ToSsGirL 26
Hm[arnc] 24
Sexy 24
Aegong 21
HiyA 18
Terrorterran 14
scan(afreeca) 11
Rock 10
Sacsri 10
Noble 9
Icarus 6
Dota 2
Gorgc4858
Dendi1114
canceldota68
Counter-Strike
fl0m1810
Fnx 530
edward75
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King185
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes642
Lowko372
Other Games
gofns24701
singsing2143
olofmeister1170
hiko549
B2W.Neo333
DeMusliM216
Livibee189
Pyrionflax164
Liquid`VortiX117
QueenE73
Trikslyr61
Khaldor25
ZerO(Twitch)17
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 1418
Other Games
BasetradeTV177
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream37
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH168
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis2000
• Jankos1467
• TFBlade512
Other Games
• Shiphtur531
Upcoming Events
Patches Events
2h 16m
The PondCast
20h 16m
INu's Battles
21h 16m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 8h
Replay Cast
1d 9h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
Patches Events
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.