• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:11
CEST 11:11
KST 18:11
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9433 users

[M] (2) Scars of Aiur - Page 6

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
NullCurrent
Profile Joined November 2010
Sweden245 Posts
May 29 2011 19:40 GMT
#101
I'd go with fog, as lava does not really fit the current location nor the feel of the texture pack.
The Planetary Workshop - TPW - Mapmaking Team
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
May 29 2011 20:01 GMT
#102
Agreed with Null. Also, I mean't "I disagree with changing the cliffs from manmade", sorry for the typo! >.<
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
May 29 2011 20:04 GMT
#103
I don't know, I kinda liked the way the gold was before. But it did look weird how the other side of the "hallway" also went down but with organic cliffs. Perhaps if this other side was partially organic high-ground instead (unpathable with some forest on it.) I think that would give more of that feel of those altars in the campaign which someone mentioned before. That would probably make it look pretty good.

It would potentially change the gameplay, though, giving a spot for air units to be, but it's not near the mains or anything. I think by the time anything is going on in that part of the map there would be plenty of spotting available.
all's fair in love and melodies
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-29 20:26:05
May 29 2011 20:22 GMT
#104
I can still add those man-made cliffs back in next to the gold again on the high ground, but adding them on the other side of the walkway would be very difficult because there is no way I can blend in the man-made walls with the organic ones on that side, making it look a little awkward. I may just leave it the way it is in the screenshot I provided. I'm working on more doodads, lighting, and other aesthetics right now.

I will be changing the name soon as well, thanks to Foxy for providing several good name ideas. I named it Scars because I just didn't know what else to call it.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
May 29 2011 22:15 GMT
#105
Alright, OP updated. I've decided based on votes and majority of diamond/master players in-game that version 2 exceeds version 1, so it will be made official. It is also re-named to something more appropriate: Aiur Plateau

I would highly appreciate a moderator to change the thread name to Aiur Plateau instead of Scars.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-29 22:24:18
May 29 2011 22:21 GMT
#106
I meant, partially high-ground, fully organic on the other side. (:

Edit: And as far as the water goes, it actually makes less sense for there to me gaps that are empty while the outside is water. The water levels would naturally be even, and the wholes would fill up with water from the earth and from rain.
all's fair in love and melodies
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
May 30 2011 00:01 GMT
#107
I had the privilege of watching Spanishiwa volunteer to play one game on my map. He played as protoss against a platinum zerg (we thought he was masters...). He schooled the plat with pure blink stalkers. Amazing game! Wasn't epic, but nonetheless getting a high GM player, who's almost a semi-pro, to play a random melee map is the best thing a map maker could ask for :D He said he liked it!
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
May 30 2011 02:52 GMT
#108
Good for you ironman! That's so cool. I like the latest version a lot.
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-30 04:20:30
May 30 2011 03:57 GMT
#109
Woooot Ironman!

What do you mean "on the other side of the walkway"? The side of the cliff facing off-map?

I've thought a while longer about why I'm so set on having the cliffs be manmade, and I hope you'll pander me for a moment.

"Marketing"
This goes back to what I said about the manmade cliffs on the walkway around the gold being distinct. They are distinct for the following two reasons:

A place for the eye to go: When marketers design a poster they have a specific point which they always want your mind to go to. If a person is strolling by the poster and glance at it, and all they see is an overly-busy sheet of paper, their eye moves on. In other words, if they can't immediately process part of the image, or know what part of it all is significant, they don't spend the time to inspect. This is why marketers design their posters and covers to have a single point the eye is first drawn to. Let me give some examples:

[image loading]

With Mass Effect, the eye is drawn immediately to the orange highlights and light near his shoulder. We see the star, Commander Shepperd. Then our minds begin to process the rest of the image, being please with what we saw initially. In fact, because of the pronounced features of the orange, we begin to see the image relative to the orange: how the people are placed, where the lines of the image flow, all on a subconscious level.

[image loading]


The watchmen poster works with a bit of an inverse, but we still instantly know to look at the shadowed figure, thanks to the black-on-blue contrast, and to look at the yellow text.

By guiding the eye it helps the viewer digest the image.

But, you don't need to catch people at a glance, do you? People are going to be analyzing the map, not browsing it. Well, yes and no: some people will only take a moment to glance at it. For many of these people, helping them digest the image faster will mean the difference from remembering it and not.

Also, and much more important, is the second element I've already mentioned about guiding the eye: it gives us a way to analyze the image relative to the point the eye is guided to. We know where to look first, and how to build our understanding of the map off of that. When I first looked at the man-made cliff version of your map, this is exactly what happened: my eyes locked on to the gold minerals, and from there I digested the changed to the map It worked fabulously. This will allow some (not all, as we don't all think alike, but this is a pretty common trait) professions to size up the map and understand it all the faster.

And a new map that they understand easier is a new map they're more likely to play.

But why did the man-made cliffs work so well?

The Power of Color Contrast
You'll notice in the Mass Effect poster that it's the contrast of orange on blue that draw the eye. The same worked due to the warm-toned, brighter yellow of the man made cliffs against the toned-down blues, greens, and browns of the map. The same color contrast can be seen in the watchmen poster, with black against a bright blue aura and low blue of the city, and the yellow text.

Another reason marketers use dramatic color contrast is because it elicits emotion. This emotion will deepen the viewers initial connection with the map, and, more than any other element, commit it to memory.

Now, while the platform may make a little more sense being the only part with man made cliffs, when I look at the images you posted I'm lost in a sea of those muted greens and browns. The map doesn't mean anything to me emotionally anymore; it does not elicit the emotional reaction.

One final thing: the gold base had a cove-like feel, almost like a harbor and shrine, when the cliffs were man made. The walkway was "tucked behind" the gold, and the gold was "tucked into the cliff". Now it seems like a platform hanging off the main path, with -- for some hard to discern reason -- a big path arching behind it. With the man-made cliff made it seem intention, a place created and special. Now it seems incidental, non-critical, non-special. I loved that it was a "special little place". Due to the way one perceives the map relative to these focal points, the very way I constructed the map in my mind is lost, and now my eyes wander the image trying to understand in. And I can, if I force, but it's not that natural and emotional reaction I had before.

In light of these things, I feel it is more than worth a somewhat unnatural-looking seam on the cliff. It is, of course, your map. I'm only hoping to help you succeed. In the end, you must make the call though.
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-30 06:43:19
May 30 2011 06:40 GMT
#110
I tend to agree. I do feel that how it looks in-game is more important than how it looks in an overview image, in addition to that.

Having the levels of terrain connect does make it easier to see that they are different heights.

Nice work going to all that effort, FoxyMayhem.

I'm getting tired of people naming their maps after the tileset they're on... Aiur Plateau is a fine, albeit standard, name. On the other hand, it doesn't really seem to be much of a plateau actually, and that's kinda taken by Shakuras Plateau already. I don't know if that's the best name. Beats "scars" though.
all's fair in love and melodies
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-30 07:53:00
May 30 2011 07:50 GMT
#111
Yikes lol.

Foxy, I won't lie... you prove a good point. To be honest, I agree that when those in-ward cliffs were there (man-made ones), my eyes immediately fixed on the gold expansions in all the pictures. It made it look unique, like a dig-site, or mining-site. I will definitely add them in, because you are totally correct on that.

The name remains as Aiur Plateau for the moment. If I desperately need to, i'll change it for the last time.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
May 30 2011 22:21 GMT
#112
*Super Grin*
I'm glad you felt what I was trying to explain. It's funny how much my mind kept wandering back to the question throughout the day, until I was pretty much driven to make that post! >o<

Hm, Gfire has a point about how the name feels a little "standard", althought after thinking through all those different name options it seemed quite appropriate to me, since I'd forgotten what "standard" or "plain" would sound like. In any case, you might consider make a pole for your top 3 favorite names, that could help.

I'm so happy how awesome this map is becoming! W000!
epikAnglory
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States1120 Posts
May 30 2011 23:03 GMT
#113
Beautiful map and layout, though I am pretty sure Aiur does not look like this. =D
710+ Posts with a Probe Icon =D
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
May 31 2011 03:44 GMT
#114
On May 31 2011 08:03 iTzAnglory wrote:
Beautiful map and layout, though I am pretty sure Aiur does not look like this. =D


Lies! It's Aiur tileset... it must be aiur!
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
May 31 2011 04:08 GMT
#115
Yes, even in the campaign Aiur is exactly like that.
all's fair in love and melodies
Antares777
Profile Joined June 2010
United States1971 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-31 04:31:52
May 31 2011 04:31 GMT
#116
I was going to post in this thread earlier, but I couldn't come up with any feedback for it; it already looks really well made and balanced.

So I'm just posting to say...
+ Show Spoiler +
hi?
IronManSC
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States2119 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-31 04:35:34
May 31 2011 04:34 GMT
#117
I made a couple doodad/aesthetic changes to the gold expansions, and I'm trying to come up with a new, unique name, since Aiur Plateau has been seen as stupid and "dude, there's already a plateau." So... Names people! -_-

EDIT: Part of me does like the name Scars though... it was unique and instantly made me think of this map.
SC2 Mapmaker || twitter: @ironmansc || Ohana & Mech Depot || 3x TLMC finalist || www.twitch.tv/sc2mapstream
Gfire
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1699 Posts
May 31 2011 05:04 GMT
#118
Perhaps you could tie scars into it somehow... It kinda fits with the Aiur theme. Aiur has in a way been "scarred" by the Zerg.

What about "Deep Scars" that sounds like a map, it at least is more than one syllable.

I usually resort to random name generators to think of map names.

all's fair in love and melodies
NickMP
Profile Joined February 2011
United States46 Posts
May 31 2011 05:45 GMT
#119
You need map names?

Heres a few i randomly thought up while looking at the map.

O Aiur Destiny
O Aiur's Decent (I hope i spelled that right...)
O Hollowed Scars

As for the map...this is a very nice and beutiful map IronMan!
Can't really think of anything that needs to look better.
I'm trying to learn how to play tetris A type music by lowering/raising my Supply Depots.
FoxyMayhem
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
624 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-05-31 06:32:08
May 31 2011 06:24 GMT
#120
Wow, Hallowed Scars is eeeeexcellent. My favorites thus far:

O The Fallen Isle
O The Veil
O Hallowed Scars

"The Veil" goes nicely with the fog effect, something that could be played up if the name is chosen. One method would be lowering the water around the outside and making it very dark, and placing fog over it, perhaps giving it an infinite feel, or, if you can see the black water, a sense of other-worldlinessl. If "Hallowed Scars" is chosen, you may consider placing lava in the cracks around the gold, giving some meaning to phrase "Scars". Don't know how it would look, though. Even just red shining up through there would be pretty cool, perhaps.

The one reason I don't like Hallowed Scars is that it could be harder for people to remember. Hallowed is not a very common word, even if it is awesome in this situation.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 49m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 4878
Horang2 414
Hyuk 364
BeSt 186
Hyun 99
Hm[arnc] 72
Shinee 69
Killer 64
ggaemo 57
sorry 55
[ Show more ]
Snow 44
Bonyth 41
Bale 34
JYJ 14
Stork 9
League of Legends
JimRising 534
Other Games
gofns14915
summit1g9223
singsing1365
ArmadaUGS77
Mew2King72
kaitlyn1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick742
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream137
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 56
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2396
League of Legends
• Lourlo1435
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
49m
INu's Battles
2h 49m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
5h 49m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 49m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 49m
Replay Cast
13h 49m
Afreeca Starleague
1d
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 1h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 6h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.