• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 13:42
CEST 19:42
KST 02:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings BW General Discussion Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7964 users

[M] (4) Sanctuarium by funcmode - Page 2

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 All
Ragoo
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany2773 Posts
March 12 2011 21:28 GMT
#21
Definitely enough space there, judging from the pictures the openness is perfectly fine for all races, don't worry dude
Member of TPW mapmaking team/// twitter.com/Ragoo_ /// "goody represents border between explainable reason and supernatural" Cloud
monitor
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States2409 Posts
March 12 2011 21:33 GMT
#22
On March 13 2011 06:13 funcmode wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 12 2011 22:06 Mereel wrote:
i played it yesterday and i had a small problem with my third.
these little highgrounds really limit the space there. i would prefer u remove those.

[image loading]

You really think this is not enough space? Personally I think that expo would be far too hard to hold without that small wall or at least something there, but no-one really brought it up before so I guessed it was fine. Anyone else willing to weigh in on this issue?


I think its good there, but you might consider making it lowground. That way it chokes it up, but still makes it easy to hold (because of vision). Really up to you, don't think it would change much-- but don't remove it.
https://liquipedia.net/starcraft2/Monitor
Exstasy
Profile Joined August 2010
United Kingdom393 Posts
March 13 2011 11:20 GMT
#23
Possibly the best map I have ever seen =D
I love how many Expansions there are, and how wide open the map is

Cannot wait to play this non stop
Great Work!
Mereel
Profile Joined February 2010
Germany895 Posts
March 13 2011 11:40 GMT
#24
im talking about the other third^^

[image loading]
[image loading]

normaly i would build my extra gates at the third but there is no place for it. also a planetary fortress becomes much stronger in a narrow path.
TPW Mapmaking Team
funcmode
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia720 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-13 16:40:38
March 13 2011 16:39 GMT
#25
On March 13 2011 20:40 Mereel wrote:
im talking about the other third^^

+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
[image loading]

normaly i would build my extra gates at the third but there is no place for it. also a planetary fortress becomes much stronger in a narrow path.

That's the same third as the picture I took a few posts ago, and of course they're all completely identical

Space there is a bit tight, but it's supposed to be that way. The two optional third's are delicately balanced so that there are both pros and cons for taking either of them. This third in question is designed to be the most appealing for Terrans especially, so naturally I tested planetary fortresses and they didn't seem to be overpowered in this position.

Also, I don't quite understand why you'd build additional warpgates at the third expo unless it was your intention to wall it off or make it narrower still, in which case there's definitely space for 3-5 structures around the expo. But since the location of warpgates in terms of producing units is irrelevant, I don't see why you'd need to build them at the third when there's still lots of space in the main to use?

I do appreciate your concern of course, and I will be paying lots of attention to this aspect of the map's layout whenever I get the chance to see games played on the map, but for now I think I'm quite content with it.

oh and @Exstasy - thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you like it and enjoy playing on it
@funcmode - TPW Mapmaking Team - theplanetaryworkshop.com
FlopTurnReaver
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
Switzerland1980 Posts
March 13 2011 21:35 GMT
#26
The only problem as of right now I can think of is that the natural seems a bit vulnurable to Siege Tanks when the Terran is in counter clockwise position.
Check out @MapOfTheMonth on Twitter and under http://bit.ly/motmorg
lefix
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany1082 Posts
March 14 2011 01:53 GMT
#27
i had a little graphical glitch where all the inserted wall pieces in the cliffs were dyed dark purple, not really matching the color.
Map of the Month | The Planetary Workshop | SC2Melee.net
funcmode
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia720 Posts
March 14 2011 02:48 GMT
#28
@FlopTurnReaver - In light of you saying this, I went and investigated the power of siege tanks in this position further. I was rather sad to discover that siege tanks could enter the small areas behind the minerals and gas right next to the natural (I always thought tanks couldn't fit through a 1-square gap, but in some cases it seems they can), allowing them to range most of the natural.

So, I've added a couple of small doodads which conveniently block tank access to the space behind the minerals/gas, while still allowing smaller units to pass through. You can see the doodads in this image:

[image loading]

Note that a couple of tanks can still range a few mineral patches, and a medivac can still drop a tank or two into the area behind the minerals, but the tanks themselves can no longer access it on the ground. I hope that this change is significant enough to stop this from becoming a true positional imbalance. More thoughts on this would be welcome.

@lefix - Yeah, I mentioned this in the note at the end of the OP. It's some strange quirk with the way custom colours affect this doodad specifically, it either looks fine on high or low graphic settings but not both. I've been trying to find a way to make it work without using a custom texture for it (increases the size (MB) of the map) but have had no luck, so I guess I'll get to work on that custom texture...

Version 1.1 has now been released with the above mentioned tank-blocking doodads.
@funcmode - TPW Mapmaking Team - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Zeddicus
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States239 Posts
March 16 2011 19:27 GMT
#29
On March 13 2011 20:40 Mereel wrote:
im talking about the other third^^


This map looks pretty cool, and Mereel's quote sums it up for me. I really like the option to choose 3rd and 4th direction from your base. It's pretty neat to be able to scout them and just expand in the opposite direction. Aesthetics are beautiful too.
dimfish
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States663 Posts
March 16 2011 22:14 GMT
#30
I think the tank-blocking doodads are a good change, but there's always this problem of making it clear to players how the map works. Have you considered whether players might get frustrated if their tanks jitter when it looks like they might fit through?

Or maybe players will just find out in practice games they can't get tanks in there
funcmode
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia720 Posts
March 17 2011 23:27 GMT
#31
Version 1.2 of Sanctuarium has been released:

  • The tank-blocking doodads at the 'outside' third have been changed to better represent their purpose to players (see screenshot).
  • The graphical bug with the broken wall sections showing up off-colour on low graphics settings has been fixed (using a custom texture).

Here's an image showing the new doodads around the third:
[image loading]

@dimfish - I did my best with this new version to make it obvious to players that getting tanks behind that mineral line shouldn't be possible. I hope players agree, when I was testing it it seemed to me like it should be obvious enough. But in all seriousness, if you have some awesome strategy that hinges completely on being able to put tanks in this location and then you get there and realize you can't... well you only have yourself to blame .

After watching some additional replays on this map, I got to thinking about the watchtower placement. Only a few hours later, FlopTurnReaver PM'd me and brought up the same subject. Essentially the role of the watchtowers in games where players spawn close positions is quite diminished due to the fastest attack path between the two bases not travelling through it's vision.

With that in mind, I experimented with alternative watchtower placement. After a while though, it became readily apparent to me that having 4 watchtowers, even just a tiny bit nearer the outside of the map, made turtling far too powerful by giving players easy vision of both ramps up to the natural. There was one location which seemed like it could be an improvement, however putting one there as is would give a player vision in to the main base (protoss OP) and even then wouldn't give much of a heads up when an attack is moving out, since the distances between the two natural ramps is quite small to begin with.

So, I'm leaving the watchtower as it is for now. In close positions, it won't see much effective use until one player takes a third base, and players will just have to get used to the fact that being in control of the watchtower doesn't mean you're immune to surprise attacks (especially in close positions).
@funcmode - TPW Mapmaking Team - theplanetaryworkshop.com
EatThePath
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
United States3943 Posts
March 18 2011 21:56 GMT
#32
On March 18 2011 08:27 funcmode wrote:
So, I'm leaving the watchtower as it is for now. In close positions, it won't see much effective use until one player takes a third base, and players will just have to get used to the fact that being in control of the watchtower doesn't mean you're immune to surprise attacks (especially in close positions).


Poor babies. It's just fine in the close positions games I've played. XWT coddle the weak. =D
Comprehensive strategic intention: DNE
dezi
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1536 Posts
March 18 2011 23:16 GMT
#33
The XWT is fine as it is - why should XWTs always enable you to scout early movement (non-cross-spawns)? This XWT gives an advantage during the later stages of the game where the mid becomes more important. I think this is absolutely fine and good. If you want to scout early engagements you have those awesome cliffs at the 3rds screaming 'place overlord here'.
TPW Member | My Maps @ TL: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=171486 | Search 'dezi' at EU
Ragoo
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany2773 Posts
March 23 2011 22:46 GMT
#34
from the iCCup Testbug thread:

On March 24 2011 07:30 funcmode wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 07:08 Ragoo wrote:
@funcmode: on a sidenote, this doesnt look right

+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Yeah I fixed that in the latest update (check the map thread for details) - however the MotM version hasn't been updated yet (on EU at least, not sure about US).


I took that screenshot on your upload of the map. But now that I played it again it was all fine. Also everything was fine on the MotM version now. I have all graphic settings on highest possible.

So apparently this still happens randomly sometimes.
Member of TPW mapmaking team/// twitter.com/Ragoo_ /// "goody represents border between explainable reason and supernatural" Cloud
funcmode
Profile Joined June 2010
Australia720 Posts
March 23 2011 23:21 GMT
#35
On March 24 2011 07:46 Ragoo wrote:
from the iCCup Testbug thread:

Show nested quote +
On March 24 2011 07:30 funcmode wrote:
On March 24 2011 07:08 Ragoo wrote:
@funcmode: on a sidenote, this doesnt look right

+ Show Spoiler +

[image loading]

Yeah I fixed that in the latest update (check the map thread for details) - however the MotM version hasn't been updated yet (on EU at least, not sure about US).


I took that screenshot on your upload of the map. But now that I played it again it was all fine. Also everything was fine on the MotM version now. I have all graphic settings on highest possible.

So apparently this still happens randomly sometimes.

You're absolutely positive you took that SS on my version? That's very peculiar if true. If it's fine on both now then I guess you can't reproduce the problem... Theoretically (if the EU version hasn't been updated yet), then it should look a bit funky on low settings, and fine on high/ultra and maybe medium. My latest version should look fine on any graphics settings.
@funcmode - TPW Mapmaking Team - theplanetaryworkshop.com
Ragoo
Profile Joined March 2010
Germany2773 Posts
March 23 2011 23:35 GMT
#36
I made 100% sure that this screenshot is from your version (so I don't talk any bullshit) and I took it today just before I posted that response
Member of TPW mapmaking team/// twitter.com/Ragoo_ /// "goody represents border between explainable reason and supernatural" Cloud
Prev 1 2 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
Laughngamez YouTube
FEL
01:00
ScienceCraft Qualifier
IndyStarCraft 241
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
IndyStarCraft 241
BRAT_OK 71
MindelVK 10
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 27028
Mini 457
Hyuk 253
firebathero 183
ggaemo 121
Liquid`Ret 58
Mong 52
Hyun 41
Killer 35
PianO 25
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 23
Rock 16
Bale 9
Dota 2
Gorgc10444
qojqva1688
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1341
crisheroes1239
Liquid`Hasu750
Other Games
Grubby2613
FrodaN2187
fl0m1184
Beastyqt1039
Mlord425
KnowMe155
Livibee152
ArmadaUGS127
Mew2King61
Trikslyr47
ToD37
mouzStarbuck25
CosmosSc2 19
Chillindude15
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick981
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 17 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 63
• StrangeGG 48
• mYiSmile119
• Adnapsc2 14
• LUISG 6
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 7779
Other Games
• imaqtpie467
• Shiphtur292
• WagamamaTV233
Upcoming Events
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1h 18m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
16h 18m
INu's Battles
18h 18m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
21h 18m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 1h
Replay Cast
1d 6h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 16h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 17h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.