• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:10
CEST 02:10
KST 09:10
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)22Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8125 users

[Map] Rising Tides - Melee - Page 5

Forum Index > SC2 Maps & Custom Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
RisingTide
Profile Joined December 2008
Australia769 Posts
July 04 2010 02:25 GMT
#81
On July 04 2010 11:24 Tazza wrote:
I want to try this map out so bad because I want to see what happens when a unit goes into the water

Nothing. They move around on the ground under the water as though there isn't any water.
Barnzy
Profile Joined June 2010
United Kingdom57 Posts
July 04 2010 02:32 GMT
#82
nice map man, i tried fiddling with the map editor and failed miserably so i really do appreciate this! kind of like when you first watch snooker its boring as hell but then u go and try and play and you suck you go back watch a game and your amazed of whats going on! maybe thats just me ^_^ nice map any how!
Gaius Baltar
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States449 Posts
July 06 2010 17:31 GMT
#83
On July 04 2010 11:25 RisingTide wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 04 2010 11:24 Tazza wrote:
I want to try this map out so bad because I want to see what happens when a unit goes into the water

Nothing. They move around on the ground under the water as though there isn't any water.

Tazza, there are no effects like being slowed down or drowning when walking in the water, like RisingTide said. + Show Spoiler +
I've been stalking you for some time now. Do be worried, it's rather sinister.

Since I put a layer of no pathing just beyond the waterline, units wouldn't be able to walk deep enough to drown anyway. This is as far out into the water units can walk.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
Also note the minimap: the playable bounds hug the farthest beach edges quite tightly, so the amount of underwater beach is much less than what you see in the layout screenshot.

Barnzy, I know just what you mean. I had never used the editor before I made this map, and it shows.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]
All I can advise is keep your head down, keep trying, and eventually you'll figure out what you're doing one discovery at a time. That way, you can look back at your first attempts and take pride in your own improvement.

I should have version 1.3 ready soon. After I adjusted some terrain, the water edges became jagged again so I just have to go back and smooth them out.
Gaius Baltar
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States449 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-08 16:01:07
July 08 2010 04:47 GMT
#84
It looks like I finished version 1.3 right on time. Updated the changelog, screenshots, and download in the OP.

The big changes, primarily to the main and natural, should all be visible in this comparison:
+ Show Spoiler +
v1.2
[image loading]v1.3[image loading]

I removed the second entrance to the main and instead added a second entrance to the natural. The entrance to the main now extends into the natural in a position to defend its new entrance. The two entrances to the natural are very close together compared to the split attack paths needed to pressure both at once, and both entrances are quite thin, so I don't expect defending the natural should be too difficult.

I felt that the cliffline for colossus and reapers along the main was too long, and I didn't like all the extra beach area behind the blue mineral beach expansions, so I added a pool in each location to fix both of those problems.

In order to better suit the name of the map and its intended atmosphere, I added rain and dimmed the lighting and tinted it slightly green to match the weather. Ideally, I would like to be able to assign weather probabilities to the map. For example, 70% of the time you load the map, it's raining, and the other 30% it's nice and sunny. For now, I'll stick with the rain unless the popular reaction to the new lighting and weather is horrified disgust, in which case I have a sunny version saved.

I'm going to try to publish now, but any feedback is still much appreciated!

Edit: Can't seem to host the map publicly. If there is anybody who wants to try the map, I can friend you on battle.net and invite you that way. Ideally, if two people would like to do that, I'd be happy to spectate.
freshiie22
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada132 Posts
July 08 2010 08:40 GMT
#85
ummmm i just think it could use alot of texture work to make it look and feel morealistic, if you need help im here
Phase 1: Bronze League Rank 78. Phase 2: Silver Rank 45 .August 23: Platinum Rank 7 and climbing
Gaius Baltar
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States449 Posts
July 09 2010 18:12 GMT
#86
Hey guys, I managed to publish the map properly on my third attempt. It is available for play in custom games under join a game, however it is nearly at the bottom of the popular list at about 3 games in last hour.

I'd recommend using create a game and searching Rising Tides 1v1. The category is "custom, melee" so you will be able to open the game lobby to the public or invite a friend to play against.

If you have any fun games, please post your replays.
loadme
Profile Joined April 2010
171 Posts
July 09 2010 18:38 GMT
#87
very nice designed map with many possible ways to succeed
looking forward for balancing (tank/colossi range, width of each entrance etc)
Yes.
Gaius Baltar
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States449 Posts
July 15 2010 01:36 GMT
#88
Updated the OP with a replay section and information about finding the map in custom games.

There have been several small updates between v1.3 and what is on battle.net, shown here:

[image loading]
I updated the texture on the stretches from the mains to the gold expansions, as I wasn't happy with the dark and gray texture scheme from before. I also added a handful of critters to the map, you can see one next to the tree.

[image loading]
I moved the ramp a little closer to the primary entrance to the natural so it's easier to defend both at the same time. I also made it thinner and changed the angle to it's easier to wall off. Thirdly, I added a few more ancient cliff edge pillars to the beach so you can micro around them.

Again, please post your replays!
Gaius Baltar
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States449 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-07-20 03:37:08
July 20 2010 00:11 GMT
#89
I'll be in Florida all next week, but before I leave tomorrow I wanted to post a rather significant, though unpolished, update I've been working on that you guys can munch on before SC2 is released.

I received some feedback from buu and others that I agreed with and wanted to address. What buu had to say was that the area around the entrance to the main, the chokes leading to the natural, and the centerpiece of the map felt very congested. In games I spectated, I observed that players were having a difficult time defending their main and natural base at the same time, despite their close proximity.

To try to fix this, I expanded the playable map bounds from 180x156 to 212x156 so I could allot the extra width where needed. Here is a comparison of the map prior to the size increase and after, with more detailed pictures to follow.

+ Show Spoiler +
v1.3
[image loading]New version[image loading]

As you can see, there is much more room to maneuver in the new version. Now for the specifics.

Center map width changes
+ Show Spoiler +
v1.3 suggestions[image loading]New version[image loading]

However, the added width for the center of the map meant lots of unused space around the edges, so I added a backdoor path to the blue mineral beach expansion and I changed the hill expansion to be two way.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

One of the major changes I am considering is adjusting the waterline around the map so that you can't walk behind the main base or behind the hill expansions. This is largely because I feel those paths are somewhat cheesy and they have become almost redundant with the addition of new, parallel paths. To explain what I mean, the blue lines in this picture are the new water line, the red are the old paths that would become unpathable, and the green are the new paths that do their jobs.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

What do you guys think about the changes? And like the water change I am pondering, what would you guys change further? Thanks!
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 51m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 65
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 12429
Rain 1727
Artosis 799
White-Ra 232
ToSsGirL 41
Dota 2
monkeys_forever647
NeuroSwarm158
League of Legends
Doublelift4230
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1449
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1887
WinterStarcraft43
Other Games
summit1g9022
shahzam691
ArmadaUGS652
Day[9].tv587
JimRising 478
C9.Mang0306
ViBE138
Maynarde120
Trikslyr53
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick658
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream108
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 93
• davetesta36
• musti20045 32
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1201
• Day9tv587
• Shiphtur295
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9h 51m
OSC
12h 51m
Stellar Fest
12h 51m
OSC
23h 51m
Stellar Fest
1d 12h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
4 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.