• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:23
CEST 14:23
KST 21:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)55Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8731 users

As a viewer, would you like an official off-season? - Page 3

Forum Index > Polls & Liquibet
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
MatiaasS !
Profile Joined October 2011
Chile167 Posts
December 14 2012 04:07 GMT
#41
Should be asking for a off-season in the point of view of players, they need a rest sometime
Team EG, TL and IM ! || Tennis For Life ♥ RF ♥
Danglars
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States12133 Posts
December 14 2012 04:41 GMT
#42
I'm a little surprised it's so evenly split.
Great armies come from happy zealots, and happy zealots come from California!
TL+ Member
banzaiib
Profile Joined August 2010
United States53 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-14 06:19:11
December 14 2012 06:17 GMT
#43
Many sports have limited length seasons because they are so physically demanding on the players. If the NFL season was 12 months long, the average career of a player would be much shorter, because the probability of injury would skyrocket. I understand that there are potential dangers to playing esports, but they pale in comparison to high contact sports. Following this line of thought, I would love to see esports tournaments year round. I think the natural, competitive nature of the events will end up producing the excitement the viewers are looking for... you don't need some artificial, seasonal limitation to create that... you need TLO winning a GSL... <3
PavelDatsyuk88
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden55 Posts
December 14 2012 06:28 GMT
#44
I only watch tournaments so no, I wouldnt like off-season at all. Even watching weekly online tournaments is so boring compared to real LAN tournaments. And if I lose interest during the dead time, I would probably find something else to watch and not come back watching at all.
peekn
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States1152 Posts
December 14 2012 06:59 GMT
#45
I always like breaks, it's great to see everyone slow down, then unleash onto the scene again. Great time for showing radical builds and everyone is always wow'd great for hype and big tournaments.
skyyan
Profile Joined April 2012
United States74 Posts
December 14 2012 07:29 GMT
#46
At first I was against the idea of breaks, because like many others, I want to watch Starcraft. But then after I thought about it a little more, I'm in favor of breaks. I find that there are only a few of the major tournament titles (GSL, MLG, sometimes Dreamhack or IEM) that I tune in from start to finish for, and a number of others tournaments that I only turn on for a couple series. I like the idea that breaks give time for players to recoup from all of the travel and stress they are put under, and allows players to practice more to be at a higher level when we do see them.

As for the problem of watching more, I find personally (curious if this is true for the average SC2 viewer) that I spend more time watching players' individual streams more than I watch tournament broadcasts. I see no reason that there would be any lack of streaming going on during a "break", so I don't think that there will be a lack of content to consume.

However, I think one of the real issues here is a lack of practicality when implementing this resolution even if the community found it to be a good idea. While it might benefit the industry as a whole to have breaks, it's still in the individual interest of each tournament running organization to run a tournament on an unoccupied weekend. While we've seen a number of partnerships between eSports organizations over the past few months, I feel we're still far away from a level of cohesiveness where anything like this could occur. Even if MLG, GSL, and Kespa (theoretically) agreed to take a month off at some point, it would hurt their competitive stance in the market as other organizations could use the gap to promote their own brands, and if people want to be watching tournaments, they will have to watch the not-on-break tournaments.

Overall, very interesting question, hopefully some day soon there will be a more centralized governing body of eSports that can improve the whole scene.
http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/457733/1/skyyan/
Mista_Masta
Profile Joined January 2009
Netherlands557 Posts
December 14 2012 08:05 GMT
#47
I agree with what's said before - major tournaments probably need breaks to build hype, and allow both the fans and the players to get ready. I don't mind having other less important events available during those breaks. This would also mean that players who really want to prepare for the major event can decide to skip these minor events, allowing less known players a chance to shine as well.
SohcranA
Profile Joined November 2010
United States36 Posts
December 14 2012 08:48 GMT
#48
I want the players to have an opportunity to rest and practice, because I feel awful when really good players do terribly at an event simply because they've been on the road or doing other types of events all month. As a viewer, I have an interest in the players having as comfortable a time as possible getting as good as they can, without these hectic tournament schedules.
CScythe
Profile Joined June 2009
Canada810 Posts
December 14 2012 09:20 GMT
#49
It's hard to realize it, but even though I don't want a "break" from events per se, having an off-season makes the return of SC2 that much sweeter. For that reason, I think it's worth it to have the off-season.
JtoK
Profile Joined December 2011
Germany232 Posts
December 14 2012 10:31 GMT
#50
I think more important are event schedules and tournament times. If some tournaments like WCG, NASL, IPL are on the same weekend, it's quite disappointing that you are not able to see every tournament (for the players). I think some players are disappointed too, cause they want to play as many tournaments as they can, cause they need the money and the sucess. The payments arent really high in the teams.
Conclusing: Many tournaments are nice, but not if they are at the same weekend at the same time. Players need space between matches and tournaments because of flights, hotel living, pressure. I think they all need to work together (NASL, IPL, MLG, GSL, WCG etc.) so that there wont be tournaments at the same time or players cant attend tournaments because of packed schedules, flights etc.
Leetley
Profile Joined October 2010
1796 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-14 11:39:24
December 14 2012 11:37 GMT
#51
What a silly question... Off-season would be pretty dumb IMO.

On December 14 2012 13:41 Danglars wrote:
I'm a little surprised it's so evenly split.

It's because of the question, it can be viewed from many different points.
Valikyr
Profile Joined June 2010
Sweden2653 Posts
December 14 2012 11:44 GMT
#52
I'd like an off-season just because I get so hyped for an event when there hasn't been one in a while. I think it's good for the players performance too to be able to take a vacation without falling behind.
LowEloPlayer
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States205 Posts
December 14 2012 12:28 GMT
#53
On December 14 2012 06:11 skrotcyk wrote:
I don't understand this question.. As a viewer your not obliged to watch every event, nothings gonna happen if you skip an event or two.


Everybody always cites this against "oversaturation," but really it does have a mental effect on the viewers to have too much content. It may be subtle by making you feel all the games are less significant and thus are less enjoyable to you, it could have some other effect, and it could even make you not want to watch anymore (if there's too much stuff you wonder which stuff you should watch and you may just end up not watching it at all. This happened with NASL in seasons 1 and 2 as well as, to some extent, IPL [not the live event] since it's inception)
hmm... let's think about it
y0su
Profile Blog Joined September 2011
Finland7871 Posts
December 14 2012 13:01 GMT
#54
There could definitely split up the major tournaments and have some tournaments / leagues that focus on more demographics of the scene. (Having the same players at tournaments every other weekend gets a little boring.) I think there are enough players and viewers to keep SC2 going all year. Prior to the WCS:EU people might have thought an EU only tournament wouldn't be a big draw. However, the tournament seemed very successful (I don't have numbers, but I remember people being impressed). HSC, although an entirely different kind of tournament, is another example. Maybe tournaments don't think there's enough of a draw without inviting Stephano or MKP... I think there could be.
Marou
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Germany1371 Posts
December 14 2012 13:10 GMT
#55
I think am off season would be great, it could be an official period for transfers filled with drama like soccer while the rest of the season is quiet in terms of transfer and hectic in term of games. Sadly i don't think the organisations will agree to not do any event during any amount of time, somebody is going to take the opportunity to make an "off-season" tournament and there will be no more off-season
twitter@RickyMarou
Kreb
Profile Joined September 2010
4834 Posts
December 14 2012 13:33 GMT
#56
On December 14 2012 07:48 red4ce wrote:
Fans need a break? No, players need the break.

Thats what I thought too....
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51545 Posts
December 14 2012 14:11 GMT
#57
players need a break, fans too, because you know, real life really matters.
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
Ewok
Profile Joined December 2012
United States26 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-12-14 14:31:22
December 14 2012 14:21 GMT
#58
Anyone else see Gamestop's Shasher's interview with Day9? He expressed that the industry was over saturated and felt there should be less events in 2013. The off-seasons in other sports are influenced by weather and risk of injury. In eSports, this isn't a factor. How does the industry agree on a set period that is 'off-season'? I don't see this happening so i believe the solution is less Premier events, supported by leagues and minor events.

Edit: fixed typo
FFE or die trying!
Mallement
Profile Joined January 2012
Denmark39 Posts
December 14 2012 14:42 GMT
#59
off season would be cool ..
TAMinator
Profile Joined February 2011
Australia2706 Posts
December 14 2012 14:55 GMT
#60
I want breaks so tournaments can be bigger and have sufficient time for hype
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 37m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko456
ProTech124
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 41502
Bisu 1442
firebathero 1067
Horang2 984
Hyuk 391
BeSt 357
EffOrt 290
Mini 273
Light 236
Larva 234
[ Show more ]
Soma 231
ZerO 118
Leta 98
Rush 94
Mong 89
Barracks 82
Snow 72
Pusan 55
ToSsGirL 39
Shinee 35
JYJ 32
Mind 32
NaDa 30
Aegong 27
Sexy 26
sorry 22
zelot 21
Bale 20
ajuk12(nOOB) 12
Noble 11
JulyZerg 11
Icarus 7
Terrorterran 6
Dota 2
Gorgc1235
XaKoH 393
Heroes of the Storm
crisheroes1289
Khaldor1036
Other Games
gofns31456
singsing2275
olofmeister1488
B2W.Neo321
hiko186
Livibee183
Mew2King79
ArmadaUGS51
ZerO(Twitch)9
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream271
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH181
• StrangeGG 33
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 10
• FirePhoenix7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Stellar Fest
37m
OSC
9h 37m
CranKy Ducklings
21h 37m
Online Event
22h 37m
FEL
1d 3h
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.