• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:35
CEST 06:35
KST 13:35
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon101Weekly Cups (Aug 30-Sep 7): herO thrives amid growing schism10
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the StarCraft shooter announcement at BlizzCon 2026? Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple Balance hotfix patch 5.0.16b (July 16) Blizzard Classic Cup @ BlizzCon 2026 - $100k prize pool The Death of Cheese: From a Professional Cheeser
Tourneys
2026 GSTL Grand Finals ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Master Swan Open (Global Bronze-Master 2) Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach Bot on ladder an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ StarCraft Human 'N' AI League
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 1
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Nintendo Switch Thread EVE Corporation
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)!
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11505 users

How to Improve: Mafia XXX Analysis - Page 6

Forum Index > TL Mafia
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Qatol
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3165 Posts
June 14 2011 05:31 GMT
#101
Why are you dragging in Korynne's spelling?
Uff Da
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
June 14 2011 05:33 GMT
#102
Ceasing and desisting.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
youngminii
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Australia7514 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-14 15:14:16
June 14 2011 13:47 GMT
#103
No wonder you have 12k posts.
^^

Also, man, reading this just makes me depressed about my scum play
lalala
flamewheel
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
FREEAGLELAND26782 Posts
June 15 2011 02:09 GMT
#104
Actually a good majority of my posts are in LR threads.
Writerdamn, i was two days from retirement
Vain
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Netherlands1115 Posts
June 16 2011 16:55 GMT
#105
On June 15 2011 11:09 flamewheel wrote:
Actually a good majority of my posts are in LR threads.


That explains alot
Battle.net 2.0 is a waiter and he's a dick
Xedat
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany358 Posts
June 16 2011 22:43 GMT
#106
It looks like you trying to "steal the stickies" now Vain. Whatever that actually means.
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-20 05:44:26
June 20 2011 02:08 GMT
#107
On November 04 2010 16:49 Incognito wrote:
Ah finally. Thread revived. Its been a while since this was written. And at the time, Ver told me he was going to write a more comprehensive guide later. *cough* If any one point was the most crucial at this point, I think it would be day 1. We need a day 1 guide. A guide on how to start the game, how to create content, and how to lead town on the right track. What to look for in post analysis, how to analyze the game's atmosphere. I would attempt my hand at writing such a guide, but I think I'm not qualified. Ver!!!


So, I was just rereading through the thread (the discussion after the OP brings up some *really* interesting points, especially on lying and use of PM's) and this post really resonated with me. I feel like we need a guide, or at the very least some unbiased discussion on how to create a good day 1 atmosphere, I personally find that its the hardest part of day 1, finding stuff to talk about, especially without mayor elections and such.

So far my day 1 starts have consisted of either
1.) coming up with a plan, which works in PM games, but doesn't seem to be very effective in regular setups deprived of such tools.

or, more commonly

2.) Discussing lynching inactives. While this works, I feel like we are reaching the point were everyone has a canned response or just agrees, "yep, thats what we should do", so its quickly losing it efficiency.

Some ideas I've seen from other people are

1.) Zodiac lists- My quibble with zodiac lists is that everyone ends up discussing old games or throwing up lists with no reasons, both of which don't actually serve to provide any real information.

and

2.) Setup discussion, especially in SNMM 1-3. This I feel leads nowhere and allows mafia to blend in seamlessly. Sure its better than nothing, but only slightly better than nothing.

So, what do people think of day 1 discussion? What should be talked about? How do we go about building a perfect town atmosphere that is conducive to finding mafia and confirming town? How do we make people discuss?

I think that this is one of the major issues currently bringing down town play, so discussion on this topic would be very helpful.

EDIT: I forgot one method I've used to spark discussion which was asking questions, as in experimental mafia II, but it was generally frowned upon as the questions were rather poor. And as usual these tend to default to players meta. I mean theres not that much I can discern from "what is your #1 scumtell?"
Moderator
ilovejonn
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Canada2548 Posts
June 20 2011 03:09 GMT
#108
I agree with you GM. So far my day 1 plays have been horrible. I got lynched Day 1 exactly because I had nothing to talk about and my town play seemed too much like my scum play (although I've only ever been scum once). If I decide to wait and post once in a while, the whole thread is like inactive, and people will be throwing lurker accusations everywhere. If I decide to seem active and post mostly nothing (since there's really nothing to discuss up until that point), people say it's a scum tell that you're contributing nothing. I can really see why people are always saying reading guides and ACTUALLY applying it to the game while you're playing are two totally different things now.

For now I'm just going to go along with "sometimes if you have nothing to contribute, shutting up isn't a bad idea at all". Though I feel if everyone does this, games will be extremely boring. So time to repeat what GM asked, how do we get the ball rolling for a pro-town environment Day 1?
Snowflakes in January, Heart warm like February, I wouldn't ordinarily..
Meapak_Ziphh
Profile Blog Joined June 2010
United States6789 Posts
June 20 2011 03:59 GMT
#109
that last page was eye opening flamewheel...
Forti et Fideli ~ TL Mafia Forum: Come play with us! ~ Go Samsung KHAN, Stork, JangBi , Shine, Grape, and TurN Fighting!~ wat
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-06-20 07:18:44
June 20 2011 07:16 GMT
#110
That Zodiac list was just something I devised for a game years ago. Why is that even being used as a strategy at all now? I thought we were at the point that protecting sensible players > protecting people that have experience. No need for that kind of stuff as a concrete thing to follow any more.

Setup discussions are good. That is, until you have silly townies or scum that end up outting Town power roles. As town trying to find a way to break the game is a smart thing to do.

There is no Day 1 guide though. What you do or talk about Day 1 depends on the setup, and most importantly depends on the ability of the people in the game. Even letting people randomly vote 4 hours up until deadline is going to be effective in some games (which I'll talk about in a second). Day 1 the typical town player goal is to A.) not get lynched B.) start looking at the people causing trouble and C.) keep the discussion going about who is scum and what is scummy

Players accomplish these in different ways, but it is a solid way to catch the terrible scum players and eliminate the terrible townies. As I always say, players who tend to get lynched early a lot die like that for a reason - they are bad players.

Now the problem with Day 1 besides the fact that half the town is doing ridiculous things like trying to convince Scum they are Scum - they aren't getting votes on people. Part of the problem with this is that majority of these games are using Deadline Lynch which at this point needs to just GO AWAY. Majority lynch rules should be standard from now on. When people are getting lynched with 3 votes then the Scum don't really need to worry about much, and the town is just offing everyone even though they can't agree on suspects. That's terrible. If players were forced to consolidate their opinions to get a lynch off then you'd see more interesting games.

Get rid of Deadline lynch and things will start to improve. Even if it favors Mafia a bit, that won't be a problem if the Town thinks about what they are doing before reacting too fast.
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
Radfield
Profile Joined September 2009
Canada2720 Posts
June 20 2011 16:02 GMT
#111
I agree with the sentiment around majority lynch, though both systems have their pros and cons. A certain level of activity is required in majority lynch, but I think that majority lynch setups force more discussion as well.
Ace
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States16096 Posts
June 20 2011 22:26 GMT
#112
Yea that's what I aim for when using majority lynch. Hosts have designed so many good games that have been somewhat ruined by lazy players so something needs to be changed.
Math me up, scumboi. - Acrofales
Ver
Profile Joined October 2008
United States2186 Posts
June 21 2011 01:13 GMT
#113
It's fine to talk about lynching inactives but actually going through with it is a loser plan generally. Mafia are always going to be able to deflect it to some green without much trouble or suspicion.

It's hard to make a day 1 guide because as Ace said, it really depends on the situation. You pretty much have some general principles (some of which i explained in this guide) you want to worth for and adapt depending on the game setup and what's going on.

Strategies/setup discussion rocks if you have anyone smart in the game because it really helps isolate people and can provide some straight up value for the town. Like in PYPI Incognito basically helped show himself innocent by suggesting the ridiculously abusive vote rigger/mafia 2 dt plan, while in sleeper cell Ace's day 1 'plan' ended up getting him in some serious trouble while bum was alive. It's a situation where you can pick apart the genuine contributors and the sheepers, and if mafia do generally contribute, it forces them to be held accountable and keep to the same standard for the rest of the game.

What I try to aim for day 1 is to stay in the background and set various subtle traps for people to force information out and get a clue to their alignment. If a trap pops mafia, then I gun for them like annul getting prodded and messing up in 37, but otherwise you can just quietly get info and try to stop the obvious dumb lynch. The problem is it's not easy to replicate nor do because you have to think up various stratagems every game and unique ones for different people. The other problem is that if you do individualized moves like this it's not always easy to convince people of your case because most townies are silly and can't see beyond the obvious. And sometimes if the town is really stupid and/or spammy they can screw up your ability to make these plans happen. I remember in mafia 8 I had an oddball trap using info from another forum to help illuminate the alignment of ace and mbh but I couldn't use that information at all because people would just think I was bs'ing, which led to a whole slew of problems and a minor catastrophe.

Thus in the end, you are probably better off just trying to establish your innocence and getting some useful discussion going.

In PM games I will focus more on chatting up people in pm's, just about their thoughts on the game, to give another avenue for information. If they are mafia they have to keep a congruent act in pm's and in the thread, which is exceptionally difficult. If they are town, getting that knowledge becomes even easier and once you know it you can gain helpers to push your agendas.

What doesn't help whatsoever is posting innocent lists or focusing on too many people at once. That just makes things a lot worse. Similarly too much analysis is going to just cause problems (see mafia 39 and pypi). In general most players day 1 should simply be contributing what they honestly feel and trying to prove themselves innocent without going too crazy. And never do a point by point analysis lol.


I definitely like majority lynch as a concept, particularly in irl play, but in practice I feel there are two problems that it comes with. If we could find a way to help fix those problems, maybe altering it slightly, we'd have an ideal system.

1) Time zone problems. It is nice that most of us are NA but it still hurts everyone outside of it. I remember there was a situation in mafia 28 where southrawrea screwed up and outted him and BC at the very start of the day. The town proceeded to lynch them both within 4 hours, gutting the mafia. If BC had been able to login during this time (had work i think), all he had to say was 'this idiot is lying and trying to get me killed with him because he knows he'll die' and he'd be safe. But BC logged in like 4 something hours after majority was reached; oh well gg.

2) Too easy to lurk/no accountability. "Oh I was busy I couldn't login in the last 20 hours and you already voted or changed votes, someone died, and you have no idea what I think because I wasn't here and don't have to do anything now." We already have a huge problem with lurkers and quasi-inactives and I don't want to make it worse. On any lynch that ends early a lot people are just going to sit around and it's harder to keep inactivity and lurking in check
Liquipedia
Foolishness *
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
United States3044 Posts
June 21 2011 05:03 GMT
#114
I've always been of the opinion that day 1 is one of the most important days, and often the most revealing. I've found that if late in the game I'm unsure of someone's role, reading their day one posts greatly helps distinguish between pro-town and anti-town. I speculate that it's because people are posting more on a whim than really concentrating on what they should be saying in the thread.

Ideally just getting everyone to make a few posts is all you need, and if you're green you want to try to establish yourself as a threat to the mafia (just as Ace said). Even asking someone "what do you think of the current situation" and them responding "lol it's day 1 who cares?" can be very revealing about whose side they care about. I spend my day 1 making of list of who is pro-town, what they have done to indicate that they are pro-town, and who is anti-town and what they have said to irk me to feel that way. This allows me to narrow down the people I want to be focusing on in the future. If someone has clearly indicated they are town, I don't need to spend my time worrying about what they are doing/posting in the future (unless they cause a shitstorm).

Sometimes the best way to find the mafia is by figuring out who's not mafia.
geript: "Foolishness's cases are persuasive and reasonable but leave you feeling dirty afterwards. Kinda like a whore." ---- Manager of the TL Mafia forum, come play!
Incognito
Profile Joined November 2008
United States2071 Posts
June 22 2011 01:43 GMT
#115
On June 21 2011 10:13 Ver wrote:
I definitely like majority lynch as a concept, particularly in irl play, but in practice I feel there are two problems that it comes with. If we could find a way to help fix those problems, maybe altering it slightly, we'd have an ideal system.

1) Time zone problems. It is nice that most of us are NA but it still hurts everyone outside of it. I remember there was a situation in mafia 28 where southrawrea screwed up and outted him and BC at the very start of the day. The town proceeded to lynch them both within 4 hours, gutting the mafia. If BC had been able to login during this time (had work i think), all he had to say was 'this idiot is lying and trying to get me killed with him because he knows he'll die' and he'd be safe. But BC logged in like 4 something hours after majority was reached; oh well gg.

2) Too easy to lurk/no accountability. "Oh I was busy I couldn't login in the last 20 hours and you already voted or changed votes, someone died, and you have no idea what I think because I wasn't here and don't have to do anything now." We already have a huge problem with lurkers and quasi-inactives and I don't want to make it worse. On any lynch that ends early a lot people are just going to sit around and it's harder to keep inactivity and lurking in check


These two problems can be easily fixed. We use the majority lynch concept, but don't end the voting until the full 48 hours have passed. We won't have time zone problems because people will still be able to come back and influence things without fear of the day ending early. We won't have a lurking/accountability problem because everyone always has the opportunity to contribute since there won't be any downtime (days don't end early).
The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy
Emporio
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States3069 Posts
July 29 2011 00:51 GMT
#116
Wow. It's like an entire section of TL I never knew about 0_0

So.. this looks like something I maybe want to get into. I didn't see any like "THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY" topics around so I'm not sure how to do that.
How does it feel knowing you wasted another 3 seconds of your life reading this again?
Qatol
Profile Blog Joined November 2006
United States3165 Posts
July 29 2011 01:51 GMT
#117
On July 29 2011 09:51 Emporio wrote:
Wow. It's like an entire section of TL I never knew about 0_0

So.. this looks like something I maybe want to get into. I didn't see any like "THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY" topics around so I'm not sure how to do that.

I recommend the Central Library thread. Multiple guides on playing are linked there.
Uff Da
GMarshal
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States22154 Posts
August 02 2011 17:31 GMT
#118
On June 22 2011 10:43 Incognito wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 21 2011 10:13 Ver wrote:
I definitely like majority lynch as a concept, particularly in irl play, but in practice I feel there are two problems that it comes with. If we could find a way to help fix those problems, maybe altering it slightly, we'd have an ideal system.

1) Time zone problems. It is nice that most of us are NA but it still hurts everyone outside of it. I remember there was a situation in mafia 28 where southrawrea screwed up and outted him and BC at the very start of the day. The town proceeded to lynch them both within 4 hours, gutting the mafia. If BC had been able to login during this time (had work i think), all he had to say was 'this idiot is lying and trying to get me killed with him because he knows he'll die' and he'd be safe. But BC logged in like 4 something hours after majority was reached; oh well gg.

2) Too easy to lurk/no accountability. "Oh I was busy I couldn't login in the last 20 hours and you already voted or changed votes, someone died, and you have no idea what I think because I wasn't here and don't have to do anything now." We already have a huge problem with lurkers and quasi-inactives and I don't want to make it worse. On any lynch that ends early a lot people are just going to sit around and it's harder to keep inactivity and lurking in check


These two problems can be easily fixed. We use the majority lynch concept, but don't end the voting until the full 48 hours have passed. We won't have time zone problems because people will still be able to come back and influence things without fear of the day ending early. We won't have a lurking/accountability problem because everyone always has the opportunity to contribute since there won't be any downtime (days don't end early).

If anyone wants to see this in action I tried it in SNMMV, I think I'll keep on using it, its interesting, and it seems to generate some activity
Moderator
Palmar
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Iceland22634 Posts
August 02 2011 23:26 GMT
#119
On July 29 2011 09:51 Emporio wrote:
Wow. It's like an entire section of TL I never knew about 0_0

So.. this looks like something I maybe want to get into. I didn't see any like "THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY" topics around so I'm not sure how to do that.


Best way to learn is to simply dive into it and read all the guides available.

Just make sure you have enough time for all this, this takes a ton of time.
Computer says mafia
Cyber_Cheese
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Australia3615 Posts
August 20 2011 04:22 GMT
#120
On August 03 2011 08:26 Palmar wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 29 2011 09:51 Emporio wrote:
Wow. It's like an entire section of TL I never knew about 0_0

So.. this looks like something I maybe want to get into. I didn't see any like "THIS IS HOW YOU PLAY" topics around so I'm not sure how to do that.


Best way to learn is to simply dive into it and read all the guides available.

Just make sure you have enough time for all this, this takes a ton of time.


basically, learn what the roles do and start playing
i advise playing the sc2 mafia UMS for an introduction before graduating to forum mafia
The moment you lose confidence in yourself, is the moment the world loses it's confidence in you.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
00:00
2026 GSTL: Grand Finals
CranKy Ducklings133
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
23:00
OSC Masters Cup #151 Qualifier
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 186
NeuroSwarm 172
StarCraft: Brood War
HiyA 338
BeSt 158
hero 97
sorry 41
Mind 26
Bale 16
Terrorterran 16
ZergMaN 13
Icarus 5
Dota 2
monkeys_forever1017
League of Legends
JimRising 717
Counter-Strike
taco 425
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King157
Other Games
summit1g10764
Maynarde198
ArmadaUGS33
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick484
StarCraft: Brood War
Kim Chul Min (afreeca) 8
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Berry_CruncH219
• Hupsaiya 139
• practicex 35
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 4
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota299
League of Legends
• Rush1226
• Stunt215
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 25m
Soma vs Jaedong
WardiTV Weekly
6h 25m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 25m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Leta vs Soulkey
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
[ Show More ]
Online Event
5 days
FEL
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.