• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 20:17
CEST 02:17
KST 09:17
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site Bot on ladder BW General Discussion BSL Season 23
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8448 users

[Guide] Intelligent Investing - Page 3

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
CalvinStorm
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Canada78 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-06 21:22:32
June 06 2009 21:22 GMT
#41
On June 07 2009 06:11 floor exercise wrote:
Yeah I have to say the more I read this the more it's clear you don't understand even the most basic investment and finance fundamentals, and that your guide is just a synopsis of a few books you have read supplemented with a few trips to wikipedia or something. Just by the amount of critical information omitted if you truly were writing a guide on investing for the average person.


I have no idea what you are talking about.
I'm wondering what critical information that he omitted?
Never trust an Elf
Durak
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
Canada3685 Posts
June 06 2009 21:28 GMT
#42
I'm not going to lie, when I first saw this thread I thought it would be useless. I've taken a bunch of accounting and finance courses and I still wouldn't consider investing without serious research on every firm in an industry. This made me sceptical that a thread on TL could help potential investors.

I withdraw my initial skepticism. This is a fantastic compilation of the basics for those starting out. However, I would still recommend more research before diving in.
kewlsunman
Profile Joined May 2004
United States131 Posts
June 06 2009 21:42 GMT
#43
On June 07 2009 05:14 floor exercise wrote:
I'll agree the flashy one is a moron and I have not read 95% of what you wrote but just glanced through most of it but this is such a bad explanation of both tvm and horribly erroneous in calling everything under the sun risk free for god knows what reason but how do you get a 10% return on a long term tbond?

I have to say the likelihood of you copypasting or just rewording wikipedia articles is pretty high. I would love to know what sort of qualifications you have.

Show nested quote +

[Note: There’s a very important reason why it’s not precisely $200—the time value of money. Think about it this way, would you rather have $100 now or $100 in a year from now? If you said it doesn’t matter, then you’re forgetting that you could potentially put your $100 now in a savings account, in an index fund, in a treasury bond, or any number of other investments which would earn you a risk-free amount of interest. Generally the long-term Treasury bond is considered a risk-free rate, and that earns about 10% a year, meaning that $100 now is worth at least $110 in a year from now. Conversely, $100 a year from now, discounted by the 10% interest rate would give it a present value of only about $91. (PV = FV/(1+r)^n; where r = interest rate and n = number of years)


The 10% long-term Treasury bond rate is a good point. The trailing 30-year rate for the 5-year Treasury bond is 7.2% and for the 10-year Treasury it's 7.5%. I used 10% to illustrate a point and make the calculation easier. I guess I should apologize that it so egregiously offended you.

Also, if you have a better way of explaining the time value of money to a forum aimed towards fans of a 10-year old computer game, please share and I'll put it into the guide.

On June 07 2009 06:11 floor exercise wrote:
Yeah I have to say the more I read this the more it's clear you don't understand even the most basic investment and finance fundamentals, and that your guide is just a synopsis of a few books you have read supplemented with a few trips to wikipedia or something. Just by the amount of critical information omitted if you truly were writing a guide on investing for the average person.


I really don't mean to pick on you but it's just interesting that you seem to be suggesting that the guide isn't long enough as it is. I've been working in the professional investment field for years now, I have no idea how you can suggest that I "don't understand even the most basic investment and finance fundamentals". I mean, maybe that's the case and I've been leading all my clients and coworkers astray, but I'd like to hear what your issues are specifically so maybe I can address them?

Disclaimer
I'm really not interested in being overly defensive. However, I am worried that these comments that question my ability and knowledge will derail other readers. I wrote this guide because I thought it would be interesting if I could take someone with zero financial knowledge and walk them all the way through an entire investment analysis. I admit I referenced Wikipedia, Investopedia, Google, Thesaurus.com, Dictionary.com, and probably a lot of other resources in compiling this guide. However, every word was typed from my hand, and where I really did copy and paste, the phrase will be in quotation marks to make clear that the words are not my own.
Luddite
Profile Blog Joined April 2007
United States2315 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-06 21:57:54
June 06 2009 21:46 GMT
#44
To echo what Durak said- it's not a bad guide, but it's also just the VERY basics of investing. You'd find the same info in just about any book on investing that focuses on a fundamental, risk-averse strategy. It's also kind of old fashioned- regardless of how you might personally feel about TA, it's worth at least learning about before putting any money into a specific stock. People love to talk about Warren Buffett, and how he got rich using just pure value investing. Well, he's also very unique, and probably quite lucky overall.

edit: besides, your example is wrong. Breaking above the 52 week high would be a sign of strength.
Can't believe I'm still here playing this same game
Milton Friedman
Profile Blog Joined June 2006
98 Posts
June 06 2009 22:22 GMT
#45
I scan read it. It's a very qualitative discussion of investing that covers the basics, but I think you underestimate the quantitative ability of many people who visit TL. Some paragraphs about theoretical ways in which assets are priced, e.g. CAPM or APT, and how that relates to making an investment decision. Also, it would be nice if you extend the part on EMH and state that returns are uncorrelated but not independent and follow it up with some information on volatility forecasting.

Only talking about a firm's intrinsic value isn't really enough. As you're aware, measuring this intrinsic value is difficult because of many intangible assets. Further, I didn't see any discussion of alternative investment opportunities other than company shares. Investment is much more than the stock market and something on different assets and asset allocation for a portfolio would've been good too.
KOFgokuon
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
United States14912 Posts
June 06 2009 22:29 GMT
#46
good stuff
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
June 06 2009 22:41 GMT
#47
On June 07 2009 06:42 kewlsunman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2009 05:14 floor exercise wrote:
I'll agree the flashy one is a moron and I have not read 95% of what you wrote but just glanced through most of it but this is such a bad explanation of both tvm and horribly erroneous in calling everything under the sun risk free for god knows what reason but how do you get a 10% return on a long term tbond?

I have to say the likelihood of you copypasting or just rewording wikipedia articles is pretty high. I would love to know what sort of qualifications you have.


[Note: There’s a very important reason why it’s not precisely $200—the time value of money. Think about it this way, would you rather have $100 now or $100 in a year from now? If you said it doesn’t matter, then you’re forgetting that you could potentially put your $100 now in a savings account, in an index fund, in a treasury bond, or any number of other investments which would earn you a risk-free amount of interest. Generally the long-term Treasury bond is considered a risk-free rate, and that earns about 10% a year, meaning that $100 now is worth at least $110 in a year from now. Conversely, $100 a year from now, discounted by the 10% interest rate would give it a present value of only about $91. (PV = FV/(1+r)^n; where r = interest rate and n = number of years)


The 10% long-term Treasury bond rate is a good point. The trailing 30-year rate for the 5-year Treasury bond is 7.2% and for the 10-year Treasury it's 7.5%. I used 10% to illustrate a point and make the calculation easier. I guess I should apologize that it so egregiously offended you.

Also, if you have a better way of explaining the time value of money to a forum aimed towards fans of a 10-year old computer game, please share and I'll put it into the guide.

Show nested quote +
On June 07 2009 06:11 floor exercise wrote:
Yeah I have to say the more I read this the more it's clear you don't understand even the most basic investment and finance fundamentals, and that your guide is just a synopsis of a few books you have read supplemented with a few trips to wikipedia or something. Just by the amount of critical information omitted if you truly were writing a guide on investing for the average person.


I really don't mean to pick on you but it's just interesting that you seem to be suggesting that the guide isn't long enough as it is. I've been working in the professional investment field for years now, I have no idea how you can suggest that I "don't understand even the most basic investment and finance fundamentals". I mean, maybe that's the case and I've been leading all my clients and coworkers astray, but I'd like to hear what your issues are specifically so maybe I can address them?

Disclaimer
I'm really not interested in being overly defensive. However, I am worried that these comments that question my ability and knowledge will derail other readers. I wrote this guide because I thought it would be interesting if I could take someone with zero financial knowledge and walk them all the way through an entire investment analysis. I admit I referenced Wikipedia, Investopedia, Google, Thesaurus.com, Dictionary.com, and probably a lot of other resources in compiling this guide. However, every word was typed from my hand, and where I really did copy and paste, the phrase will be in quotation marks to make clear that the words are not my own.


Yeah I don't want to shit on your guide because I'm sure you put a lot of effort into it, I just really question why you would start at financial analysis if it's a guide for people with zero financial knowledge. For all intents this information is useless to the target audience if they don't understand the basics of tvm, compounding, risk in all its forms, liquidity, leverage, dca, risk correlation, portfolio management, the differences between holding debt and equity, the various investment vehicles etc.

And if it's primarily for trading, you don't even mention the importance of stop loss orders, the pitfalls of penny stocks, neither of which are mentioned at all
TheFlashyOne
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada450 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-06 22:50:56
June 06 2009 22:48 GMT
#48
you guys need to chill out. when i said "copy-pasted", it wasn't offensive and it was nowhere near an accusation of plagiarism in which the text is copied word for word. i was just referring to the fact that this guide lists a few basic generic concepts, most of which are unanimously accepted by academics, and then enumerates a few competing school of thoughts. All these issues have been explained or debated in any financial textbook you can find. I don't think its reasonable to expect from a TL member to come up with any "new" or "groundbreaking" research on his own. Also, i don't think it's even necessary since investing is a simple topic and it needs to remains this way. Those who try to complicate it end up like LTCM.

i'll reiterate my point that the author made a good job of collecting knowledge and presenting it to us.

P.S. im not a moron
Don't Spend your Life Dreaming, Live your Dream
Dylancool2
Profile Joined June 2009
81 Posts
June 06 2009 22:57 GMT
#49
Read the whole thing! Everything was spot on! I also love that you used the ATVI example!
Your as annoying as a Reaver drop.
blue_arrow
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
1971 Posts
June 06 2009 23:26 GMT
#50
My question to the author is: how financially successful have you been using this knowledge and these ideas?
| MLIA | the weather sucks dick here
ForTheSwarm
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States556 Posts
June 06 2009 23:31 GMT
#51
This guide is HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome write-up! Thanks
Whenever I see a dropship, my asshole tingles, because it knows whats coming... - TheAntZ
Makhno
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Sweden585 Posts
June 06 2009 23:33 GMT
#52
Very impressive stuff. I have zero knowledge and zero experience in this field so I can't give any "real" criticism but most of your points made alot of sense, looking at things logically. Good work!
"If I think, everything is lost"
CaucasianAsian
Profile Blog Joined September 2005
Korea (South)11601 Posts
June 06 2009 23:36 GMT
#53
awesome, give this guy a SC 2 Beta key, so much work and effort to make us all start to learn investing and make it rich!
Calendar@ Fish Server: `iOps]..Stark
Hammy
Profile Joined January 2009
France828 Posts
June 06 2009 23:58 GMT
#54
bookmarked, I'll try to read this when I've got some time.
What an awesome idea to start this guide contest. So much interesting stuff is poping up.
OP definitely gets an A+ for effort!
DwmC_Foefen
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
Belgium2186 Posts
June 07 2009 00:01 GMT
#55
Bookmarked

so... you just decided to crank out a guide about investing eh? :p
R3condite
Profile Joined August 2008
Korea (South)1541 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-07 00:07:52
June 07 2009 00:04 GMT
#56
holy shit... ppl r really pulling all stops for this guide shit...

On June 06 2009 18:11 TheFlashyOne wrote:
heavily copy-pasted, but still a good collection

source or gtfo

i was just referring to the fact that this guide lists a few basic generic concepts, most of which are unanimously accepted by academics, and then enumerates a few competing school of thoughts.

i believe that's wat a guide does for u... makes ur life ezier that way...

P.S. don't act like a moron if u rn't
ggyo...
foeffa
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
Belgium2115 Posts
June 07 2009 00:28 GMT
#57
Nice effort.
觀過斯知仁矣.
Sublimis
Profile Joined May 2009
Sweden70 Posts
June 07 2009 01:00 GMT
#58
Wow VERY informative. Should be awarded a beta key definitely! I'll make use of this for my finance classes next semester! Thank you!
kewlsunman
Profile Joined May 2004
United States131 Posts
June 07 2009 02:09 GMT
#59
On June 07 2009 07:22 Milton Friedman wrote:
I scan read it. It's a very qualitative discussion of investing that covers the basics, but I think you underestimate the quantitative ability of many people who visit TL. Some paragraphs about theoretical ways in which assets are priced, e.g. CAPM or APT, and how that relates to making an investment decision. Also, it would be nice if you extend the part on EMH and state that returns are uncorrelated but not independent and follow it up with some information on volatility forecasting.

Only talking about a firm's intrinsic value isn't really enough. As you're aware, measuring this intrinsic value is difficult because of many intangible assets. Further, I didn't see any discussion of alternative investment opportunities other than company shares. Investment is much more than the stock market and something on different assets and asset allocation for a portfolio would've been good too.


Well, if you're interested, I don't think CAPM or APT make any sense at all. The idea that volatility substitutes as a proxy for risk is oftentimes right, but on very important occasions turn out to be false. Those very important occasions being situations like the collapse of LTCM, the collapse of Lehman Brothers and Bear Stearns, etc. I know, the entire academic establishment still disagrees. Don't worry, I've taken those classes too. They've convinced most of Wall Street but I wouldn't be surprised if even the investment banks started to shy away from volatility-based risk models in a year or two--they simply don't hold up when it's most crucial that they do.

I do mention other asset classes, by the way. Maybe not as much as you would have preferred but I think the most important points were made: no other asset class beats equities in the long run. Retirement planners suggest a variety of asset classes for older investors because lower volatility is important for them--they have to live off their investments. But for younger investors who are more interested in capital appreciation, there's almost no reason not to invest in equities.

(Also, intangible assets are one of the last of one's worries when it comes to intrinsic value. Most companies don't have a large amount of intangible assets relative to the rest of their book, you can oftentimes write-down the entire figure and not have a significant effect on your investment assessment.)

On June 07 2009 07:41 floor exercise wrote:
Yeah I don't want to shit on your guide because I'm sure you put a lot of effort into it, I just really question why you would start at financial analysis if it's a guide for people with zero financial knowledge. For all intents this information is useless to the target audience if they don't understand the basics of tvm, compounding, risk in all its forms, liquidity, leverage, dca, risk correlation, portfolio management, the differences between holding debt and equity, the various investment vehicles etc.

And if it's primarily for trading, you don't even mention the importance of stop loss orders, the pitfalls of penny stocks, neither of which are mentioned at all


I'm not sure if you actually read the guide because I don't start with financial analysis. I believe I spend the first three parts discussing some basic financial concepts, and I specifically touch on the exact subjects that you list: the time value of money, compounding, portfolio management, the differences between debt and equity, and the various investment vehicles. I've also included a glossary to explicitly address anything that I think the novice investor might need to know which might not have been clear in the read-through.

Besides dollar cost averaging, which is an investment strategy for old people who are trying to build up their retirement account (and like I mentioned above, I just don't think my audience here is retirees), I believe I talk about everything you mentioned--except for the trading stuff, which you're right, I don't talk about. Because this isn't a guide on trading; this is a guide on investing, and there's a very important difference between the two.

To everyone: thank you very much for your generous comments. Please feel free to ask any questions or continue to make suggestions. I will continue to address even the most misplaced imperiousness with utter civility (or try at least) :D
Zalfor
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
United States1035 Posts
June 07 2009 02:18 GMT
#60
wow, this is a really good guide imo.

i think for the average investor, u should just buy index etfs. best instruments on the market imo.
555, kthxbai
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9h 43m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft488
Nina 165
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13604
Hyuk 48
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm199
League of Legends
Doublelift4608
Other Games
summit1g9836
FrodaN3137
JimRising 560
KnowMe197
ViBE115
ArmadaUGS103
Mew2King66
Trikslyr30
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1267
BasetradeTV216
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream100
[ Show 10 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 101
• Letter145
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
9h 43m
INu's Battles
11h 43m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
14h 43m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 43m
BSL Open Qualifier
18h 43m
Replay Cast
22h 43m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 9h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 10h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.