• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:02
CEST 21:02
KST 04:02
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2315
StarCraft 2
General
October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site BSL Season 23 Klaucher discontinued / in-game color settings
Tourneys
2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7890 users

[Guide] Intelligent Investing - Page 2

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
kewlsunman
Profile Joined May 2004
United States131 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-06 19:34:54
June 06 2009 19:04 GMT
#21
On June 06 2009 18:11 TheFlashyOne wrote:
heavily copy-pasted, but still a good collection


I wrote this entirely myself. I find it offensive that you would accuse me of plagiarism without any concrete evidence.
Schnake
Profile Joined September 2003
Germany2819 Posts
June 06 2009 19:26 GMT
#22
With a quick glance I find this an extremely useful guide. I will most definitely read it very thoroughly and try to keep a few things in mind.

Probably gonna have to print it though or take some quality time for this. Thanks a lot for your effort, I appreciate it and if my limited budget will allow me to try this guide, I will post my results.
"Alán Shore" and "August Terran" @ LoL EUW - liquidparty
kewlsunman
Profile Joined May 2004
United States131 Posts
June 06 2009 19:34 GMT
#23
On June 06 2009 17:22 InsideTheBox wrote:
Your assessment of hedge funds, fund of funds, ETFs, etc is extremely biased. It's frequent practice for the manager/CIO of a hedge fund to invest his own capital into the fund that he's running. Even if this were not the case, there's plenty incentive (read millions of dollars) for managers to try to "beat the market." If I'm a multimillionaire, and not extremely risk averse, hedge funds may be a smart investment given some research.

Just as a note; the hedge fund industry in general is up about 9% YTD.


What you say is true, and there certainly are some great hedge funds out there that consistently outperform the market. However, I do have a few rebuttals:

1) There aren't many multimillionaires on TL.net :D

2) Hedge funds, as an asset class, have not earned greater returns than the market over the long-run. No asset class has as far as I'm aware. If you have any sources that can prove me otherwise, I'd be very happy to admit that I'm wrong. But as far as I'm aware, I don't think there has been any evidence of an asset class outperforming the equity market in the long-term.

3) The hedge fund industry right now is experiencing extreme survivorship bias. The number of hedge funds has shrunk considerably, and right now, only the best are still in the game. Average hedge fund performance, then, is skewed considerably upwards right now, and is not really indicative of how hedge funds as an asset class have fared.

4) Returning 9% YTD is great, but that's before fees. Do you know the numbers after the managers take their cut?

I'm not against the hedge fund or ETF or mutual fund industries. I just think that the average investor can do quite well for himself without getting too involved in that stuff. I don't think that's bias, so far, all the numbers seem to suggest that it's fact.

(Also, as a personal disclaimer, I'm a big fan of certain hedge funds--SAC, ESL, Renaissance, Greenlight, all have great track records and great managers.)
Empyrean
Profile Blog Joined September 2004
17082 Posts
June 06 2009 19:39 GMT
#24
Easily one of the best guides on TL.

Great work, this must've taken considerable effort
Moderator
SiegeTanksandBlueGoo
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
China685 Posts
June 06 2009 19:43 GMT
#25
wow, this is really REALLY great.

I just have one question, kewlsunman, can you give us some background on who you are? Not anything too specific, but maybe where you got your education, what you do now, etc. You sem really knowledgeable but I think it'll help if we know that this comes from a good source, not my neighbor's friendly dog.

Thanks so much!
What does the scouter say about his macro level? It's Over 9000 minerals!
pokeyAA
Profile Blog Joined February 2004
United States936 Posts
June 06 2009 19:44 GMT
#26
Really good information. Will you go over day trading at all in this guide?
Archaic
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States4024 Posts
June 06 2009 19:46 GMT
#27
O_O WOW. It takes like 15 minutes to scroll down this entire guide. I'm sure it is going to be very helpful, but I won't be finishing it anytime soon... Need at least 2-3 hours to really read and comprehend completely.
Fontong
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States6454 Posts
June 06 2009 19:48 GMT
#28
On June 07 2009 04:04 kewlsunman wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 06 2009 18:11 TheFlashyOne wrote:
heavily copy-pasted, but still a good collection


I wrote this entirely myself. I find it offensive that you would accuse me of plagiarism without any concrete evidence.

Don't worry, your accuser is somewhat lacking in common sense.

I guess I'll read this massive guide after finals.
[SECRET FONT] "Dragoon bunker"
tyr
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France1686 Posts
June 06 2009 20:03 GMT
#29
Amazing guide.
I was just wondering : do you work in this financial world ?
"I'm always reminded of how manly Jaedong is every time I see him." -Bisu
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-06 20:19:52
June 06 2009 20:14 GMT
#30
I'll agree the flashy one is a moron and I have not read 95% of what you wrote but just glanced through most of it but this is such a bad explanation of both tvm and horribly erroneous in calling everything under the sun risk free for god knows what reason but how do you get a 10% return on a long term tbond?

I have to say the likelihood of you copypasting or just rewording wikipedia articles is pretty high. I would love to know what sort of qualifications you have.


[Note: There’s a very important reason why it’s not precisely $200—the time value of money. Think about it this way, would you rather have $100 now or $100 in a year from now? If you said it doesn’t matter, then you’re forgetting that you could potentially put your $100 now in a savings account, in an index fund, in a treasury bond, or any number of other investments which would earn you a risk-free amount of interest. Generally the long-term Treasury bond is considered a risk-free rate, and that earns about 10% a year, meaning that $100 now is worth at least $110 in a year from now. Conversely, $100 a year from now, discounted by the 10% interest rate would give it a present value of only about $91. (PV = FV/(1+r)^n; where r = interest rate and n = number of years)
teh leet newb
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States1999 Posts
June 06 2009 20:28 GMT
#31
Wow, I've always wanted to be able to understand the stock market/investing from a complete beginner's level, and this looks like it'll help a lot. Thanks
"The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter." - Winston Churchill
Leath
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
Canada1724 Posts
June 06 2009 20:31 GMT
#32
OMG.
Amazing.
You are so patient. =)
http://www.kongregate.com/?referrer=Sagess
psion0011
Profile Joined December 2008
Canada720 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-06 20:44:02
June 06 2009 20:43 GMT
#33
On June 07 2009 04:34 kewlsunman wrote:
What you say is true, and there certainly are some great hedge funds out there that consistently outperform the market. However, I do have a few rebuttals:

1) There aren't many multimillionaires on TL.net :D

Wrong.

I wish you'd do more research before making these kind statements.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-06-06 20:45:35
June 06 2009 20:44 GMT
#34
I've got this book in my bathroom

[image loading]
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
deathgod6
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States5064 Posts
June 06 2009 20:48 GMT
#35
Nice guide! Did you hijack that Battlecruiser like Jumperer hijacked his Carrier?
4.0 GPA = A rank 5.0 GPA = Olympic --------- Bisu, Best, Fantasy. i ♥ oov. They can get in my BoxeR anyday.
RHCPgergo
Profile Blog Joined June 2005
Hungary345 Posts
June 06 2009 20:48 GMT
#36
On June 07 2009 05:43 psion0011 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 07 2009 04:34 kewlsunman wrote:
What you say is true, and there certainly are some great hedge funds out there that consistently outperform the market. However, I do have a few rebuttals:

1) There aren't many multimillionaires on TL.net :D

Wrong.

I wish you'd do more research before making these kind statements.


Maybe there are some, but there certainly aren't many.

Thanks for the guide man, I'm definitely reading it.
caelym
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
United States6430 Posts
June 06 2009 20:49 GMT
#37
wow, the effort that went into this guide and its quality is extraordinary. easily a top contender for beta key imo
ilj.psa
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Peru3081 Posts
June 06 2009 21:03 GMT
#38
give him the beta key just for the effort if he really wrote all this by himself
floor exercise
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
Canada5847 Posts
June 06 2009 21:11 GMT
#39
Yeah I have to say the more I read this the more it's clear you don't understand even the most basic investment and finance fundamentals, and that your guide is just a synopsis of a few books you have read supplemented with a few trips to wikipedia or something. Just by the amount of critical information omitted if you truly were writing a guide on investing for the average person.
CalvinStorm
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
Canada78 Posts
June 06 2009 21:13 GMT
#40
Very easy to read and understand.

Thank you!
Never trust an Elf
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL: Ladder Tournament
04:00
#2 - $100
LiquipediaDiscussion
AI Arena Tournament
02:00
Swiss - Round 4
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
BRAT_OK 58
JuggernautJason52
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 24064
Mini 407
Hyuk 157
firebathero 127
ggaemo 120
Dewaltoss 101
Hyun 39
ToSsGirL 23
ZZZero.O 13
Dota 2
Gorgc7488
febbydoto14
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3577
Khaldor1381
crisheroes1210
Liquid`Hasu794
Other Games
FrodaN2732
fl0m916
Beastyqt798
mouzStarbuck245
KnowMe190
ArmadaUGS124
Mew2King58
Trikslyr44
Chillindude29
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1068
BasetradeTV188
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream44
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• printf 90
• StrangeGG 47
• Adnapsc2 22
• LUISG 9
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 36
• 80smullet 22
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 8731
• WagamamaTV461
Other Games
• imaqtpie827
• Shiphtur289
• tFFMrPink 18
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
14h 58m
INu's Battles
16h 58m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
19h 58m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 58m
BSL Open Qualifier
23h 58m
Replay Cast
1d 4h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 15h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 20h
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.