• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:42
CEST 08:42
KST 15:42
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup4StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
BSL Season 23 Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder BW General Discussion RepMastered™: replay sharing and analyzer site
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8791 users

[Q] What does English sound like to foreigners? - Page 8

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-07 21:20:44
January 07 2009 21:19 GMT
#141
Dialects? Yay.

Random videos:

+ Show Spoiler +

Basel:


let's go 100 KM to the east
Zürich:
(just the beginning, found nothing better.

Another -100KM to the east
St. Gallen:


Let's go into the mountains (100 km south) :


Let's go.. basically over some Hills to the West ^^:
Wallis (this is a really *soft* version of that dialect, other swiss can't understand them normally, this here is *easy*):


and finally Bern:



And that are just some of the big ones... All swiss... :p
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-07 21:28:38
January 07 2009 21:27 GMT
#142
On January 08 2009 05:38 Itachii wrote:
I am learning french atm, and really loving it, not only becouse of how it sounds but also cuz of its grammar( it seems exciting for me, heh)
I am so thankful I was raised German+French, so I didn't have to learn French as a foreign language, personally I think it must suck to learn it.

On January 08 2009 05:56 Warrior Madness wrote:
Interesting. I've never heard ANYONE with that sort of accent before. But then again I've never been outside of Toronto. The weird thing is that my cousins from florida once said that I and all my friends, and everyone on tv (much music) had a heavy Canadian accent, whatever that means. I'll be going to manitoba and then vancouver for a little while and it'll be interesting to see whether I can pickup any differences in how people sound.

I don't find that weird actually. Your own accent and the accents of the people whose pronunciation you are accustomed to will only be noticed by others, but not by you. That's very natural.

And to give you a first hand example: my mom is French, my dad is German. My mom didn't speak a single word of German before she met my father (and she was 31 when she met him). She married my father, moved to Germany and started learning German here. I know she has an accent when speaking German, but I don't hear it, because I grew up with it. I do, however, notice the French accent of all the other French people who speak German.

On January 08 2009 05:41 Pholon wrote:
[...]We're still working on testing German and French people (*cough* volunteers?) so we can compare those outcomes to the D/E results.

*raises hand*
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
himurakenshin
Profile Blog Joined April 2006
Canada1845 Posts
January 07 2009 21:51 GMT
#143
Actually I figure japanese people think the american accent is cool because in lots of songs there are japanese people singing Japanese with an american accent.

Its liek wut
Pholon
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Netherlands6142 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-07 21:58:39
January 07 2009 21:57 GMT
#144
Stupid coincidence, but I think I just found my answer. Watching the film Snatch at the mo, and I really have to strain my ears making our what the 'pikeys' are saying. I remeber not understanding any of it when I saw the film before but I reckon it's a good representation of what English used to sound like to me: a lot of short vowels syllables closed with a glottal stop (the thing you hear in bottle when the tt is omitted in British). I'll transcribe one sentence: Ri, i'se'tunuresepase wi te se bloobas (no idea what he's saying, something about a caravan)

On January 08 2009 06:27 Carnac wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2009 05:41 Pholon wrote:
[...]We're still working on testing German and French people (*cough* volunteers?) so we can compare those outcomes to the D/E results.

*raises hand*


Cool, 4 more and I'll start PMing people.
Moderator@TLPholon // "I need a third hand to facepalm right now"
jgad
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada899 Posts
January 07 2009 22:02 GMT
#145
On January 08 2009 05:41 Pholon wrote:

Sure many words are cognate but in my opinion the phonetic systems of the three languages are still quite different in many ways.
+ Show Spoiler +
For those interested let me illustrate with a partly result from my MA thesis. Among other things we investigated the perception of sibilants (the sounds s and sh as heard in see and she) by native speakers of Dutch and English. 8 speakers of each language listenened to a range of sibilants, going gradually from s to sh. These 11 items (on the x-axis below) were rated as s or sh by the speakers. Reduplicated results (y-axis: 8 = definite s, 0 = definitely no s (sh therefore):
[image loading]

The interesting item is no. 6, which received an 's' judgement by the Dutch speakers, but an 'sh' judgement by the English speakers (If you're English, this may explain why a Dutchman offering you to sit on his couch may sound funny). Pretty interesting outcome, since most people dont expect this to happen since both languages use the same two sounds. We're still working on testing German and French people (*cough* volunteers?) so we can compare those outcomes to the D/E results. I kinda lost my train of thought now so I'll close of by hoping this information was valuable in some way.




Nice study! I still think that Dutch, especially Flemish, is the closest (as in there are none closer) phonetic match to English. The hard consonants (r's, n's, l's, etc), meter... I dunno, something about it, but it always strikes me every time I hear it spoken.
콩까지마
diehilde
Profile Joined September 2008
Germany1596 Posts
January 07 2009 22:02 GMT
#146
I think English, as French, is a language that is pretty much like a constant mumbling to someone who cant speak it, a load of almost indistuinguishable sounds. German and Spanish, on the other hand, are languages where the single phonemes are articulated comparably sharp and distinguished from each other. Thus, for someone who cant speak those languages they sound pretty rough and torn apart. Italian is somewhat in between those two groups.
Savior: "I will cheat everyone again in SC2!" - SCII Beta Tester
jgad
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada899 Posts
January 07 2009 22:08 GMT
#147
On January 08 2009 06:51 himurakenshin wrote:
Actually I figure japanese people think the american accent is cool because in lots of songs there are japanese people singing Japanese with an american accent.

Its liek wut


it's like a bad case of diarrhea...
+ Show Spoiler +
콩까지마
jgad
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
Canada899 Posts
January 07 2009 22:15 GMT
#148
Ri, i'se'tunuresepase wi te se bloobas (no idea what he's saying, something about a caravan)


Right, and she's terribly partial to the perriwinkle blue, boys

lol, I've watched that film too many times.
콩까지마
IzzyCraft
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States4487 Posts
January 07 2009 22:16 GMT
#149
On January 08 2009 06:51 himurakenshin wrote:
Actually I figure japanese people think the american accent is cool because in lots of songs there are japanese people singing Japanese with an american accent.

Its liek wut

Lol wut well i know that the vast majory of them aren't speaking english with an american accient although some people always supprise you and can speak quite clearly
I have ass for brains so,
even when I shit I'm droping knowledge.
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
January 07 2009 22:36 GMT
#150
When I started learning Spanish and Japanese, and noticing that the pronunciation of syllables was always uniform and without "exceptions" and "special cases", I realized just how hard English must be to learn for a foreign speaker. English in particular "invents" new words (like "Keynesian" for example) regularly so the vocabulary is always expanding fairly rapidly. On top of this, there are so many homonyms and context-specific definitions of words that it must be daunting for foreigners. It makes me relieved that English (particularly American English) is so widespread throughout the world, because if it wasn't, nobody would want to learn it because it's too confusing and self-contradictory.
Moderator
Carnac
Profile Blog Joined December 2003
Germany / USA16648 Posts
January 07 2009 23:16 GMT
#151
English grammar is not exactly hard though, so developing a solid foundation on top of which you can then gradually expand your knowledge (vocabulary wise among other things) is rather easy.
ModeratorHi! I'm a .signature *virus*! Copy me into your ~/.signature to help me spread!
Wysp
Profile Blog Joined August 2005
Canada2299 Posts
January 07 2009 23:30 GMT
#152
jamaican guest workers who come to the valley during the summer are very hard for me to understand. When I worked at Zellers I couldn't tell if they were speaking english or patois most the time. They would try to speak to me in english and I'd just determine what they wanted through trial and error.
an overdeveloped sense of self preservation
Itachii
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Poland12466 Posts
January 08 2009 09:02 GMT
#153
On January 08 2009 07:36 Excalibur_Z wrote:
When I started learning Spanish and Japanese, and noticing that the pronunciation of syllables was always uniform and without "exceptions" and "special cases", I realized just how hard English must be to learn for a foreign speaker. English in particular "invents" new words (like "Keynesian" for example) regularly so the vocabulary is always expanding fairly rapidly. On top of this, there are so many homonyms and context-specific definitions of words that it must be daunting for foreigners. It makes me relieved that English (particularly American English) is so widespread throughout the world, because if it wasn't, nobody would want to learn it because it's too confusing and self-contradictory.

English is considered as one of the easiest languages to learn, and not only becouse of its popularity but also becouse of its grammar - it seems to be rather easy and understandable for most people learning it.
Just for comparison, see how hard polish is on this example^^:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Most_Difficult_Languages_-_Polish

Some of the comments there are also really good.
La parole nous a été donnée pour déguiser notre pensée
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
January 08 2009 09:15 GMT
#154
English sounds like a clown language from those youtube videos, lol. Also it sounds nearly identical to dutch.
cz
Profile Blog Joined August 2007
United States3249 Posts
January 08 2009 09:16 GMT
#155
On January 08 2009 18:02 Itachii wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2009 07:36 Excalibur_Z wrote:
When I started learning Spanish and Japanese, and noticing that the pronunciation of syllables was always uniform and without "exceptions" and "special cases", I realized just how hard English must be to learn for a foreign speaker. English in particular "invents" new words (like "Keynesian" for example) regularly so the vocabulary is always expanding fairly rapidly. On top of this, there are so many homonyms and context-specific definitions of words that it must be daunting for foreigners. It makes me relieved that English (particularly American English) is so widespread throughout the world, because if it wasn't, nobody would want to learn it because it's too confusing and self-contradictory.

English is considered as one of the easiest languages to learn, and not only becouse of its popularity but also becouse of its grammar - it seems to be rather easy and understandable for most people learning it.
Just for comparison, see how hard polish is on this example^^:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Most_Difficult_Languages_-_Polish

Some of the comments there are also really good.


The opposite is true if you try to read/write English -> the spelling is nonsensical.
Boblion
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
France8043 Posts
Last Edited: 2009-01-08 11:43:19
January 08 2009 11:39 GMT
#156
I hate when American women speak with a loud accent. That's so vulgar ewwwwwwww.
-10 to sex appeal.

I don't have this problem with American men. I'm straight.


edit: Bristish accent is wayyyyyy better for women.
fuck all those elitists brb watching streams of elite players.
qrs
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States3637 Posts
January 08 2009 13:26 GMT
#157
Bristish accent is wayyyyyy better for women.

I think the British accent is best for children. It's so cute.
'As per the American Heart Association, the beat of the Bee Gees song "Stayin' Alive" provides an ideal rhythm in terms of beats per minute to use for hands-only CPR. One can also hum Queen's "Another One Bites The Dust".' —Wikipedia
niteReloaded
Profile Blog Joined February 2007
Croatia5282 Posts
January 13 2009 23:35 GMT
#158
On January 01 2009 05:54 PiSan wrote:


This is a guy who had a similar question. The video responses have fake english of varying quality.

That's a freakin great idea for a video, respect to that guy.
freelander
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
Hungary4707 Posts
January 14 2009 00:04 GMT
#159
On January 08 2009 18:02 Itachii wrote:
Show nested quote +
On January 08 2009 07:36 Excalibur_Z wrote:
When I started learning Spanish and Japanese, and noticing that the pronunciation of syllables was always uniform and without "exceptions" and "special cases", I realized just how hard English must be to learn for a foreign speaker. English in particular "invents" new words (like "Keynesian" for example) regularly so the vocabulary is always expanding fairly rapidly. On top of this, there are so many homonyms and context-specific definitions of words that it must be daunting for foreigners. It makes me relieved that English (particularly American English) is so widespread throughout the world, because if it wasn't, nobody would want to learn it because it's too confusing and self-contradictory.

English is considered as one of the easiest languages to learn, and not only becouse of its popularity but also becouse of its grammar - it seems to be rather easy and understandable for most people learning it.
Just for comparison, see how hard polish is on this example^^:
http://hubpages.com/hub/Most_Difficult_Languages_-_Polish

Some of the comments there are also really good.


I think this is the only competition where my nation (language) can stand on the top
Hungarian is the hard language to learn.
And all is illuminated.
Tekin
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
2711 Posts
January 14 2009 00:41 GMT
#160
Oh man i remember a while back when i was a kid in the Philippines i never understood english, every summer my cousin came from the states to visit my grandparents and I never understood them cause they speak so FAST . As i remember everytime they have a conversation i was like "huh? huh? huh? what? to everything they said" it was like a new language to me. Watching american cartoons helped with my english ^_^
Cheers! //¯◡◡¯\\ 문채원 | 한지우 -___-
Prev 1 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 3h 18m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Larva 428
Hyuk 237
Leta 228
Hyun 97
Hm[arnc] 25
Shinee 22
ZergMaN 15
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm225
League of Legends
JimRising 773
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King131
Other Games
summit1g8816
WinterStarcraft507
ArmadaUGS70
Nina64
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick778
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream162
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2327
League of Legends
• Rush1413
• Lourlo1138
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3h 18m
INu's Battles
5h 18m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
8h 18m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 18m
BSL Open Qualifier
12h 18m
Replay Cast
16h 18m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 3h
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d 4h
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 9h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.