• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 17:56
CEST 23:56
KST 06:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9050 users

Beating Kids? - Page 20

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 18 19 20 All
Proposal
Profile Joined December 2007
United States1310 Posts
December 29 2008 02:51 GMT
#381
I think we mostly talk about our parents and how they raised us.
CharlieMurphy
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
United States22895 Posts
December 29 2008 03:42 GMT
#382
On December 29 2008 11:51 Proposal wrote:
I think we mostly talk about our parents and how they raised us.

Which is completely biased. I have actually baby sat 2-6 year olds before and sometimes they just need a smack when timeout and other shit doesn't work.
..and then I would, ya know, check em'. (Aka SpoR)
ParasitJonte
Profile Joined September 2004
Sweden1768 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-29 16:12:53
December 29 2008 16:12 GMT
#383
On December 28 2008 19:56 ParasitJonte wrote:
"Well, at first you should try to study, but if that doesn't work just cheat."

The inherent badness of spanking is presupposed in making this analogy.


That's a valid point. However, you use the word "spanking" whereas I would prefer that we simply stick to physical violence. And yes, I think physical violence has an inherent badness.
Hello=)
TheFoReveRwaR
Profile Blog Joined May 2006
United States10657 Posts
December 29 2008 17:25 GMT
#384
On December 29 2008 12:42 CharlieMurphy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 29 2008 11:51 Proposal wrote:
I think we mostly talk about our parents and how they raised us.

Which is completely biased. I have actually baby sat 2-6 year olds before and sometimes they just need a smack when timeout and other shit doesn't work.

The fact that you babysit is disturbing.
Being healthy, it has been said, really consists of having the same disease as everybody else.
EmeraldSparks
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
United States1451 Posts
December 29 2008 17:29 GMT
#385
On December 29 2008 07:47 BlackStar wrote:
Anecdotal evidence is an oxymoron.

Wrong.
But why?
unknown.sam
Profile Joined May 2007
Philippines2701 Posts
December 29 2008 17:31 GMT
#386
i don't have a problem w/ giving kids a little smack (assuming the parents or direct family members are the ones who do it) if it means disciplining the kid. but babysitting/parenting the child w/o having to use such methods is very possible.
"Thanks for the kind words, but if SS is the most interesting book you've ever read, you must have just started reading a couple of weeks ago." - Mark Rippetoe
vAltyR
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States581 Posts
December 30 2008 16:44 GMT
#387
IMO, physical discipline is a "last resort" sort of thing. Sure, it *is* possible to raise a successful child without resorting to physical discipline, but not all of us were angels as kids. I certainly wasn't. I was spanked all of once time. After that, just knowing it could happen again was enough to keep me in line. I don't really think of myself as spineless, or a coward, though. I just didn't like the experience and had no wish to go through it again.

Obviously, as with everything, moderation is key. If the first thing you do when a kid does something wrong is spanking, then you're doing something wrong.
내 호버크라프트는 장어로 가득 차 있어요
XaI)CyRiC
Profile Joined October 2002
United States4471 Posts
Last Edited: 2008-12-30 19:22:47
December 30 2008 19:16 GMT
#388
I can only speak to my personal experiences and the only conclusion I can come to from that is that physical discipline is not the way to go. Physical discipline is the quick and easy solution, and a very temporary one at that. Non-physical discipline is more difficult to pull off (at least with troublesome children, who are the only ones that I hope this discussion applies to), but it works much better as a long-term solution. I've seen physical discipline go very wrong in many situations, where it only distances the child from the parent(s) and doesn't even lead to good behavior.

I'm not saying that the occasional spank (note, not spanking, i.e. extended session) or slap on the hand is out of line (although I would never recommend either), but anything beyond that is completely unnecessary in my eyes. Once a child is old enough to converse with, there is even less justification for physical discipline as explanation and teaching becomes entirely possible and appropriate. At that point you explain why something is bad, beyond the reason that it will lead to getting hit.

Again, this is just my opinion based upon my personal experiences and what I've seen or heard of others' experiences. I'm certainly not going to pretend I understand the difficulties involved in parenting, I appreciate that it's the most difficult and important job most adults will ever have. However, because of that, I think it's important for people to look beyond what works argument, and think about what works best. Both physical and non-physical discipline can be effective, but I think we can all agree that non-physical is preferable so long as it works. As such, I don't think any parent should ever go in with physical discipline as their chosen method before seriously attempting non-physical discipline to the best of their abilities. Any good parent would loathe the idea of inflicting pain upon a child, so why do so unnecessarily?

P.S. My parents never resorted to physical discipline (closest was my dad slamming his hand on the table to scare us and let us know we were stepping out of line), and both my brother and I grew up very aware of what was right and wrong, and never got into any serious trouble. My parents taught us what was right and wrong while we were growing up, through words and by example, and my brother and I appreciated and loved my parents enough to respect them and not do things that would upset or disappoint them. Not saying that this confirms that there is no justification for physical discipline, but I thought I'd provide at least one more example of non-physical discipline being very effective. I firmly believe that loving and attentive parents who take the time to teach their kids will never need to resort to physical discipline, and will always get better results than those who do use it. Physical discipline is often (not always) used to compensate for a lack of care or attention.
Moderator
Prev 1 18 19 20 All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 4m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech148
SpeCial 85
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 99
MaD[AoV]27
910 21
Bale 14
League of Legends
JimRising 426
Counter-Strike
fl0m3943
Fnx 590
minikerr9
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox425
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4596
Liquid`Hasu578
Other Games
summit1g6178
FrodaN569
C9.Mang0221
PPMD88
JuggernautJason33
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV251
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream19
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21461
Other Games
• Shiphtur805
• imaqtpie745
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
2h 4m
Patches Events
18h 4m
The PondCast
1d 12h
INu's Battles
1d 13h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.