• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:07
CEST 06:07
KST 13:07
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8111 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 826

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 824 825 826 827 828 5993 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
Bigtony
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States1606 Posts
October 09 2018 05:07 GMT
#16501
On October 09 2018 11:39 plasmidghost wrote:
I see that nuclear's cost per kWh is an average of 2.10 cents while wind and solar are rapidly plummeting to now an average of 6 cents and 10 cents, respectively, with some instances of it being even lower, so nuclear doesn't make too much sense anymore, given that we'll probably break the 2.1 cent threshold sometime early next decade

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/electric-generating-costs-a-primer/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2018/01/13/renewable-energy-cost-effective-fossil-fuels-2020/#3aa6ce124ff2



3 to 5 times the cost and it "doesn't make sense" to go with the cheaper cost...? that's some funny math.
Push 2 Harder
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
October 09 2018 06:27 GMT
#16502
Theres an extra point to Nuclear as being a reliable power source throughout the day. Theres a problem right now in the power grid called the "duck curve" where while solar is great and lowering stress on the power grid it isn't effective in the evening where power consumption is the greatest. Wind also isn't a constantly reliable source of power.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
October 09 2018 06:30 GMT
#16503
On October 09 2018 14:07 Bigtony wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 11:39 plasmidghost wrote:
I see that nuclear's cost per kWh is an average of 2.10 cents while wind and solar are rapidly plummeting to now an average of 6 cents and 10 cents, respectively, with some instances of it being even lower, so nuclear doesn't make too much sense anymore, given that we'll probably break the 2.1 cent threshold sometime early next decade

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/electric-generating-costs-a-primer/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2018/01/13/renewable-energy-cost-effective-fossil-fuels-2020/#3aa6ce124ff2



3 to 5 times the cost and it "doesn't make sense" to go with the cheaper cost...? that's some funny math.


Yes, I don't get it! I have decided not to worry about climate change, as extremely few people and governments are willing to put cutting CO2 emissions first once it seriously hurts their economy or lifestyle. Humans are great at adapting to changing conditions anyway. America is populated by Europeans partly because of a COLD period in Europe, causing famine.

Colder is worse than warmer, and I believe the climate will prove to be uncontrollable, despite our best efforts.
Buff the siegetank
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-09 07:30:27
October 09 2018 07:23 GMT
#16504
On October 09 2018 05:38 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 04:44 Sermokala wrote:
Amy Klobuchar would be the easy win candidate for the Democrats. A safe nice midwestern woman would secure The blue firewall that was promised in 2016. She's an incredibly hard target seeing how she even got Kavanaugh to apologize to her.

Booker would be an easy target for Republicans from being in New Jersey to being well lets be objective black (disclaimers about it being me saying he's bad because hes black I don't think being black means hes inferior I'm not saying that I'm saying that it would be easy to sling mud at him for the conservative base because hes black)

Warren would be an even worse candidate than Hillary. I don't know why she's considered a serious candidate for the presidency. She's probably pretty popular within her crowd but would die a death on any national campaign.

Bernie could give a candidate a rocket at the start of a campaign but I don't think the party could survive another Bernie Sanders campaign pulling the party apart (through no fault of his own)

Half the country is never going to vote for a woman. Or, for that matter, a Jew. They need to run an old rich white Christian male that the country can somehow all relate to despite having nothing in common.

Half? Being a wee bit hyperbolic aren't we? They already do vote in Americans Jews: Eric Cantor, Jason Chaffetz, and David Kustoff for example. But there aren't many to pick from as I think it's something like only 3 in 10 American Jews identify as Republican. As for women... if Fox News is anything to go by, I don't think Republicans would be adverse to voting for a woman. At least they don't seem adverse to female political commentators and outright provocateurs. And since the 90's there seems to be an uptick in female governors for both parties in about equal numbers, so I wouldn't rule it out. It's not like there has been a lot of women even in the governor position until very recently and the Democrats had a bit of a head start with 'Ma' Ferguson. Give it time, and it'll happen for both, I suspect. But if I had to guess the sort of woman a Republican would vote in as president, I'd hazard one that you'd be familiar with: a Thatcher-type. Follow Trump's one or two terms with a woman that has the grit of the Iron Lady and I think you'd see a woman leading the charge on the right, no problem.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
Neneu
Profile Joined September 2010
Norway492 Posts
October 09 2018 08:29 GMT
#16505
On October 09 2018 15:30 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 14:07 Bigtony wrote:
On October 09 2018 11:39 plasmidghost wrote:
I see that nuclear's cost per kWh is an average of 2.10 cents while wind and solar are rapidly plummeting to now an average of 6 cents and 10 cents, respectively, with some instances of it being even lower, so nuclear doesn't make too much sense anymore, given that we'll probably break the 2.1 cent threshold sometime early next decade

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/electric-generating-costs-a-primer/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2018/01/13/renewable-energy-cost-effective-fossil-fuels-2020/#3aa6ce124ff2



3 to 5 times the cost and it "doesn't make sense" to go with the cheaper cost...? that's some funny math.


Yes, I don't get it! I have decided not to worry about climate change, as extremely few people and governments are willing to put cutting CO2 emissions first once it seriously hurts their economy or lifestyle. Humans are great at adapting to changing conditions anyway. America is populated by Europeans partly because of a COLD period in Europe, causing famine.

Colder is worse than warmer, and I believe the climate will prove to be uncontrollable, despite our best efforts.


Well if you are not worried I advice you to at least glance over the summary of the report:

http://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_spm_final.pdf

Also, I don't get how people can be against nuclear power, but still have trust in climate change. The only difference between climate deniers and people against nuclear power is that while climate deniers deny the disease, people against nuclear power refuse the medicine. It is cherry picking of science to confirm your own believes at its best.

Well unless one believes the effects of climate change to be less dangerous than nuclear power, but that would be just absurd.
iamthedave
Profile Joined February 2011
England2814 Posts
October 09 2018 08:50 GMT
#16506
On October 09 2018 16:23 Falling wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 05:38 KwarK wrote:
On October 09 2018 04:44 Sermokala wrote:
Amy Klobuchar would be the easy win candidate for the Democrats. A safe nice midwestern woman would secure The blue firewall that was promised in 2016. She's an incredibly hard target seeing how she even got Kavanaugh to apologize to her.

Booker would be an easy target for Republicans from being in New Jersey to being well lets be objective black (disclaimers about it being me saying he's bad because hes black I don't think being black means hes inferior I'm not saying that I'm saying that it would be easy to sling mud at him for the conservative base because hes black)

Warren would be an even worse candidate than Hillary. I don't know why she's considered a serious candidate for the presidency. She's probably pretty popular within her crowd but would die a death on any national campaign.

Bernie could give a candidate a rocket at the start of a campaign but I don't think the party could survive another Bernie Sanders campaign pulling the party apart (through no fault of his own)

Half the country is never going to vote for a woman. Or, for that matter, a Jew. They need to run an old rich white Christian male that the country can somehow all relate to despite having nothing in common.

Half? Being a wee bit hyperbolic aren't we? They already do vote in Americans Jews: Eric Cantor, Jason Chaffetz, and David Kustoff for example. But there aren't many to pick from as I think it's something like only 3 in 10 American Jews identify as Republican. As for women... if Fox News is anything to go by, I don't think Republicans would be adverse to voting for a woman. At least they don't seem adverse to female political commentators and outright provocateurs. And since the 90's there seems to be an uptick in female governors for both parties in about equal numbers, so I wouldn't rule it out. It's not like there has been a lot of women even in the governor position until very recently and the Democrats had a bit of a head start with 'Ma' Ferguson. Give it time, and it'll happen for both, I suspect. But if I had to guess the sort of woman a Republican would vote in as president, I'd hazard one that you'd be familiar with: a Thatcher-type. Follow Trump's one or two terms with a woman that has the grit of the Iron Lady and I think you'd see a woman leading the charge on the right, no problem.


Thatcher was a very unique human, but yes, something along those lines. Some people forget that in the home she was utterly obedient to her husband, as she was a devout Christian.

If a Thatcher type rose in the Republican ranks nobody could stop her. But that's because a lot of them are spineless, and a will like Thatcher's just completely dominates people like that. I don't really see anyone like that in the landscape currently.

I don't know the wisdom of running a woman against Trump in 2020. He did win white women overall, and it just seems to play into the type of playing identity politics that pisses Conservatives off these days.
I'm not bad at Starcraft; I just think winning's rude.
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8194 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-09 08:56:49
October 09 2018 08:56 GMT
#16507
The tory party in the 1980’s didn’t have a base of mysoginists and male chauvinists as far as I know. The central question for Trump ectorate is whether or not white heterosexual men keep being at the top of social hierarchy. I think even someone as hard as Thatcher would be a liability at that point. A white macho bully is the only realistic persectove to lead the GOP as long as the thematics that interest its voters haven’t changed.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
October 09 2018 09:02 GMT
#16508
On October 09 2018 17:29 Neneu wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 15:30 Slydie wrote:
On October 09 2018 14:07 Bigtony wrote:
On October 09 2018 11:39 plasmidghost wrote:
I see that nuclear's cost per kWh is an average of 2.10 cents while wind and solar are rapidly plummeting to now an average of 6 cents and 10 cents, respectively, with some instances of it being even lower, so nuclear doesn't make too much sense anymore, given that we'll probably break the 2.1 cent threshold sometime early next decade

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/electric-generating-costs-a-primer/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2018/01/13/renewable-energy-cost-effective-fossil-fuels-2020/#3aa6ce124ff2



3 to 5 times the cost and it "doesn't make sense" to go with the cheaper cost...? that's some funny math.


Yes, I don't get it! I have decided not to worry about climate change, as extremely few people and governments are willing to put cutting CO2 emissions first once it seriously hurts their economy or lifestyle. Humans are great at adapting to changing conditions anyway. America is populated by Europeans partly because of a COLD period in Europe, causing famine.

Colder is worse than warmer, and I believe the climate will prove to be uncontrollable, despite our best efforts.


Well if you are not worried I advice you to at least glance over the summary of the report:

http://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_spm_final.pdf

Also, I don't get how people can be against nuclear power, but still have trust in climate change. The only difference between climate deniers and people against nuclear power is that while climate deniers deny the disease, people against nuclear power refuse the medicine. It is cherry picking of science to confirm your own believes at its best.

Well unless one believes the effects of climate change to be less dangerous than nuclear power, but that would be just absurd.


I will read it more carefully at some point, but no, I am not worried.

-There will be significant posetive effects of a warmer climate locally. Humans don't like change, but it is not always bad.
-I think of climate models similar to programming the football all players of football field into a model and use it to determine the outcome of a match. They will never come close to reality. I also assume that there are strong incentives to making negative prognosis, as they make more awarness of the field and eventually more funding for climate research.
-Our perspective of what is "normal" is extremely narrow. If we had detailed data from the last 1 million years, I think we would have looked very differently at current events: Super volcanoes, ice ages, big swings in solar activity, changing currents, knowing what is actually extreme weather, knowing with certainty how much CO2 and other gasses influence the climate or if they fluctuate together, natural changes in polar ice caps etc.
-Stability isn't normal! Somehow, it seems like we are expected to believe that the current world climate is supposed to stay the same for the foreseable future. We shouldn't! It will get warmer or cooler, and both will have significant on where we can live, how we migrate and where food is grown among other things.
-We currently cause much bigger migration problems through wars and misgovernance than climate change.

That being said, there are other very good reasons to get rid of fossile fuels too, but I dislike that CO2 is treated like pollution, which it isn't.
Buff the siegetank
Neneu
Profile Joined September 2010
Norway492 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-09 09:44:12
October 09 2018 09:23 GMT
#16509
On October 09 2018 18:02 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 17:29 Neneu wrote:
On October 09 2018 15:30 Slydie wrote:
On October 09 2018 14:07 Bigtony wrote:
On October 09 2018 11:39 plasmidghost wrote:
I see that nuclear's cost per kWh is an average of 2.10 cents while wind and solar are rapidly plummeting to now an average of 6 cents and 10 cents, respectively, with some instances of it being even lower, so nuclear doesn't make too much sense anymore, given that we'll probably break the 2.1 cent threshold sometime early next decade

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/electric-generating-costs-a-primer/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2018/01/13/renewable-energy-cost-effective-fossil-fuels-2020/#3aa6ce124ff2



3 to 5 times the cost and it "doesn't make sense" to go with the cheaper cost...? that's some funny math.


Yes, I don't get it! I have decided not to worry about climate change, as extremely few people and governments are willing to put cutting CO2 emissions first once it seriously hurts their economy or lifestyle. Humans are great at adapting to changing conditions anyway. America is populated by Europeans partly because of a COLD period in Europe, causing famine.

Colder is worse than warmer, and I believe the climate will prove to be uncontrollable, despite our best efforts.


Well if you are not worried I advice you to at least glance over the summary of the report:

http://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_spm_final.pdf

Also, I don't get how people can be against nuclear power, but still have trust in climate change. The only difference between climate deniers and people against nuclear power is that while climate deniers deny the disease, people against nuclear power refuse the medicine. It is cherry picking of science to confirm your own believes at its best.

Well unless one believes the effects of climate change to be less dangerous than nuclear power, but that would be just absurd.


I will read it more carefully at some point, but no, I am not worried.

-There will be significant posetive effects of a warmer climate locally. Humans don't like change, but it is not always bad.
-I think of climate models similar to programming the football all players of football field into a model and use it to determine the outcome of a match. They will never come close to reality. I also assume that there are strong incentives to making negative prognosis, as they make more awarness of the field and eventually more funding for climate research.
-Our perspective of what is "normal" is extremely narrow. If we had detailed data from the last 1 million years, I think we would have looked very differently at current events: Super volcanoes, ice ages, big swings in solar activity, changing currents, knowing what is actually extreme weather, knowing with certainty how much CO2 and other gasses influence the climate or if they fluctuate together, natural changes in polar ice caps etc.
-Stability isn't normal! Somehow, it seems like we are expected to believe that the current world climate is supposed to stay the same for the foreseable future. We shouldn't! It will get warmer or cooler, and both will have significant on where we can live, how we migrate and where food is grown among other things.
-We currently cause much bigger migration problems through wars and misgovernance than climate change.

That being said, there are other very good reasons to get rid of fossile fuels too, but I dislike that CO2 is treated like pollution, which it isn't.


So you haven't read it then. Point 1, 3, 4 and 5 is addressed. When it comes to point 2, do you honestly believe that the financial incentive is bigger than financial incentive provided by every industry dependent on fossil fuel? It's not like there have been lacking funding from the petroleum industry. The report summary have been criticized for being too positive compared to the actual report, because of said pressure.

edit: forgot to add point 5
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
October 09 2018 10:31 GMT
#16510
So you haven't read it then. Point 1, 3, 4 and 5 is addressed. When it comes to point 2, do you honestly believe that the financial incentive is bigger than financial incentive provided by every industry dependent on fossil fuel? It's not like there have been lacking funding from the petroleum industry. The report summary have been criticized for being too positive compared to the actual report, because of said pressure.

edit: forgot to add point 5


From the scientist's pov, it is problematic when one outcome is more profitable than another, and even more so in uncertain exercises like predicting the future based on present data. Bad prognosis create more media attention which in turn will even force the petroleum industry to fund more research, so I am pretty sure the doomsday prophets win out in any scenario.

The Norwegian state oil company even changed it's name to "equinor" to greenwash themselves. The hypocricy is stunning at any level, so I don't have any hope in significant change. If we really wanted impact, we would do things like forbidding fracking, close airports and highways, hinder global trade, stop taxfree sales in airports, encourage more people to live in big cities and rejoice when oil prices go up, but that won't happen. It is much more convenient to heavily subsidize expensive and unreliable solar/wind energy and electric cars (which won't solve anything except moving pollution out of the cities.)
Buff the siegetank
Falling
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada11607 Posts
October 09 2018 10:34 GMT
#16511
On October 09 2018 17:50 iamthedave wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 16:23 Falling wrote:
On October 09 2018 05:38 KwarK wrote:
On October 09 2018 04:44 Sermokala wrote:
Amy Klobuchar would be the easy win candidate for the Democrats. A safe nice midwestern woman would secure The blue firewall that was promised in 2016. She's an incredibly hard target seeing how she even got Kavanaugh to apologize to her.

Booker would be an easy target for Republicans from being in New Jersey to being well lets be objective black (disclaimers about it being me saying he's bad because hes black I don't think being black means hes inferior I'm not saying that I'm saying that it would be easy to sling mud at him for the conservative base because hes black)

Warren would be an even worse candidate than Hillary. I don't know why she's considered a serious candidate for the presidency. She's probably pretty popular within her crowd but would die a death on any national campaign.

Bernie could give a candidate a rocket at the start of a campaign but I don't think the party could survive another Bernie Sanders campaign pulling the party apart (through no fault of his own)

Half the country is never going to vote for a woman. Or, for that matter, a Jew. They need to run an old rich white Christian male that the country can somehow all relate to despite having nothing in common.

Half? Being a wee bit hyperbolic aren't we? They already do vote in Americans Jews: Eric Cantor, Jason Chaffetz, and David Kustoff for example. But there aren't many to pick from as I think it's something like only 3 in 10 American Jews identify as Republican. As for women... if Fox News is anything to go by, I don't think Republicans would be adverse to voting for a woman. At least they don't seem adverse to female political commentators and outright provocateurs. And since the 90's there seems to be an uptick in female governors for both parties in about equal numbers, so I wouldn't rule it out. It's not like there has been a lot of women even in the governor position until very recently and the Democrats had a bit of a head start with 'Ma' Ferguson. Give it time, and it'll happen for both, I suspect. But if I had to guess the sort of woman a Republican would vote in as president, I'd hazard one that you'd be familiar with: a Thatcher-type. Follow Trump's one or two terms with a woman that has the grit of the Iron Lady and I think you'd see a woman leading the charge on the right, no problem.


Thatcher was a very unique human, but yes, something along those lines. Some people forget that in the home she was utterly obedient to her husband, as she was a devout Christian.

If a Thatcher type rose in the Republican ranks nobody could stop her. But that's because a lot of them are spineless, and a will like Thatcher's just completely dominates people like that. I don't really see anyone like that in the landscape currently.

I don't know the wisdom of running a woman against Trump in 2020. He did win white women overall, and it just seems to play into the type of playing identity politics that pisses Conservatives off these days.

Yes, that's exactly why a Thatcher type could and would clean up on the Republican side. But you are right, I don't really see someone like that right now.
ModeratorWake me up when Trump's term is finished. Slava Ukraini.
Nebuchad
Profile Blog Joined December 2012
Switzerland12552 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-09 10:43:23
October 09 2018 10:41 GMT
#16512
On October 09 2018 19:31 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
So you haven't read it then. Point 1, 3, 4 and 5 is addressed. When it comes to point 2, do you honestly believe that the financial incentive is bigger than financial incentive provided by every industry dependent on fossil fuel? It's not like there have been lacking funding from the petroleum industry. The report summary have been criticized for being too positive compared to the actual report, because of said pressure.

edit: forgot to add point 5


From the scientist's pov, it is problematic when one outcome is more profitable than another, and even more so in uncertain exercises like predicting the future based on present data. Bad prognosis create more media attention which in turn will even force the petroleum industry to fund more research, so I am pretty sure the doomsday prophets win out in any scenario.

The Norwegian state oil company even changed it's name to "equinor" to greenwash themselves. The hypocricy is stunning at any level, so I don't have any hope in significant change. If we really wanted impact, we would do things like forbidding fracking, close airports and highways, hinder global trade, stop taxfree sales in airports, encourage more people to live in big cities and rejoice when oil prices go up, but that won't happen. It is much more convenient to heavily subsidize expensive and unreliable solar/wind energy and electric cars (which won't solve anything except moving pollution out of the cities.)


Some scientists make a career of telling the public what the corporations want to hear, they certainly receive more than the alarmists.

It's true that the system as it is won't do enough/much to fight climate change, but that leads me to worry and want to change it more, not less. Giving up isn't sexy.
No will to live, no wish to die
Neneu
Profile Joined September 2010
Norway492 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-09 10:56:51
October 09 2018 10:54 GMT
#16513
On October 09 2018 19:31 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
So you haven't read it then. Point 1, 3, 4 and 5 is addressed. When it comes to point 2, do you honestly believe that the financial incentive is bigger than financial incentive provided by every industry dependent on fossil fuel? It's not like there have been lacking funding from the petroleum industry. The report summary have been criticized for being too positive compared to the actual report, because of said pressure.

edit: forgot to add point 5


From the scientist's pov, it is problematic when one outcome is more profitable than another, and even more so in uncertain exercises like predicting the future based on present data. Bad prognosis create more media attention which in turn will even force the petroleum industry to fund more research, so I am pretty sure the doomsday prophets win out in any scenario.

The Norwegian state oil company even changed it's name to "equinor" to greenwash themselves. The hypocricy is stunning at any level, so I don't have any hope in significant change. If we really wanted impact, we would do things like forbidding fracking, close airports and highways, hinder global trade, stop taxfree sales in airports, encourage more people to live in big cities and rejoice when oil prices go up, but that won't happen. It is much more convenient to heavily subsidize expensive and unreliable solar/wind energy and electric cars (which won't solve anything except moving pollution out of the cities.)


Media attention when reports that downplay the climate change is released, is not in any way lacking. If you look at the media attention of negative and positive scientific reports, when released, the chance of getting media attention is heavily in favor of the positive report. Which is not strange, considering that almost every single report is negative. If you would give them all equal media attention, you would have a lot more negative articles in the media.

Oh I know, I've lived in Stavanger for 8 years. I know how the petroleum industry works. I also know that there are more reasons behind the name change. Diversifying and weaken the internationally perceived link between the state and the company (which is important in diplomatic relations, it is a public limited company after all), is also an important reason for the change.

Edit:"Sorry btw, will stop with the offtopic now. This doesnt really belong in the US politics thread, even though climate change is a global issue.
Wegandi
Profile Joined March 2011
United States2455 Posts
Last Edited: 2018-10-09 11:10:24
October 09 2018 11:07 GMT
#16514
On October 09 2018 17:56 Biff The Understudy wrote:
The tory party in the 1980’s didn’t have a base of mysoginists and male chauvinists as far as I know. The central question for Trump ectorate is whether or not white heterosexual men keep being at the top of social hierarchy. I think even someone as hard as Thatcher would be a liability at that point. A white macho bully is the only realistic persectove to lead the GOP as long as the thematics that interest its voters haven’t changed.


Right, that's why there are many women GOP Senators and Representatives. That's also why they nominated a woman as VP....a woman, I might add, that was viciously attacked by Democrats. I suppose it's like GOP African Americans - they're called all sorts of names and derided by Democrats. Is there no shame in the hypocrisy? I really really dislike having to defend people like Palin and Bachmann or Sarah Huckabee, but damn, man, the hypocrisy is a lot worse. Don't ya'll get tired of name calling all the time? It's why you guys keep losing elections and are huddled in small enclaves by alienating everyone outside your little bubbles. At least GH tends to argue on the merits and policies (outside of calling every white person by default a racist, but I digress).
Thank you bureaucrats for all your hard work, your commitment to public service and public good is essential to the lives of so many. Also, for Pete's sake can we please get some gun control already, no need for hand guns and assault rifles for the public
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
October 09 2018 11:14 GMT
#16515
On October 09 2018 20:07 Wegandi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 17:56 Biff The Understudy wrote:
The tory party in the 1980’s didn’t have a base of mysoginists and male chauvinists as far as I know. The central question for Trump ectorate is whether or not white heterosexual men keep being at the top of social hierarchy. I think even someone as hard as Thatcher would be a liability at that point. A white macho bully is the only realistic persectove to lead the GOP as long as the thematics that interest its voters haven’t changed.


Right, that's why there are many women GOP Senators and Representatives. That's also why they nominated a woman as a VP....a woman, I might add, that was viciously attacked by Democrats. I suppose it's like GOP African Americans - they're called all sorts of names and derided by Democrats. Is there no shame in the hypocrisy? I really really dislike having to defend people like Palin and Bachmann or Sarah Huckabee, but damn, man, the hypocrisy is a lot worse. Don't ya'll get tired of name calling all the time? It's why you guys keep losing elections and are huddled in small enclaves by alienating everyone outside your little bubbles. At least GH tends to argue on the merits and policies (outside of calling every white person by default a racist, but I digress).
Palin was attacked because shes pants on head retarded. Even most Republicans admit she is a disgrace and helped sink McCains campaign.
Huckabee is attacked because she spends all day every day lying to the American public on behalf of Trump

Neither of them 'lead' the GOP in any shape or fashion, neither is attacked because they are a women.
Donno enough about Bachmann to comment.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
October 09 2018 11:37 GMT
#16516
On October 09 2018 14:07 Bigtony wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 11:39 plasmidghost wrote:
I see that nuclear's cost per kWh is an average of 2.10 cents while wind and solar are rapidly plummeting to now an average of 6 cents and 10 cents, respectively, with some instances of it being even lower, so nuclear doesn't make too much sense anymore, given that we'll probably break the 2.1 cent threshold sometime early next decade

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/electric-generating-costs-a-primer/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2018/01/13/renewable-energy-cost-effective-fossil-fuels-2020/#3aa6ce124ff2



3 to 5 times the cost and it "doesn't make sense" to go with the cheaper cost...? that's some funny math.

It also takes over a decade to get approval for a nuclear plant and get it built, so building a new plant will be pissing money away by the time it finishes and you'd have to deal with the drawbacks of nuclear.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
October 09 2018 12:04 GMT
#16517
On October 09 2018 18:02 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 17:29 Neneu wrote:
On October 09 2018 15:30 Slydie wrote:
On October 09 2018 14:07 Bigtony wrote:
On October 09 2018 11:39 plasmidghost wrote:
I see that nuclear's cost per kWh is an average of 2.10 cents while wind and solar are rapidly plummeting to now an average of 6 cents and 10 cents, respectively, with some instances of it being even lower, so nuclear doesn't make too much sense anymore, given that we'll probably break the 2.1 cent threshold sometime early next decade

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/electric-generating-costs-a-primer/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2018/01/13/renewable-energy-cost-effective-fossil-fuels-2020/#3aa6ce124ff2



3 to 5 times the cost and it "doesn't make sense" to go with the cheaper cost...? that's some funny math.


Yes, I don't get it! I have decided not to worry about climate change, as extremely few people and governments are willing to put cutting CO2 emissions first once it seriously hurts their economy or lifestyle. Humans are great at adapting to changing conditions anyway. America is populated by Europeans partly because of a COLD period in Europe, causing famine.

Colder is worse than warmer, and I believe the climate will prove to be uncontrollable, despite our best efforts.


Well if you are not worried I advice you to at least glance over the summary of the report:

http://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_spm_final.pdf

Also, I don't get how people can be against nuclear power, but still have trust in climate change. The only difference between climate deniers and people against nuclear power is that while climate deniers deny the disease, people against nuclear power refuse the medicine. It is cherry picking of science to confirm your own believes at its best.

Well unless one believes the effects of climate change to be less dangerous than nuclear power, but that would be just absurd.


I will read it more carefully at some point, but no, I am not worried.

-There will be significant posetive effects of a warmer climate locally. Humans don't like change, but it is not always bad.
-I think of climate models similar to programming the football all players of football field into a model and use it to determine the outcome of a match. They will never come close to reality. I also assume that there are strong incentives to making negative prognosis, as they make more awarness of the field and eventually more funding for climate research.
-Our perspective of what is "normal" is extremely narrow. If we had detailed data from the last 1 million years, I think we would have looked very differently at current events: Super volcanoes, ice ages, big swings in solar activity, changing currents, knowing what is actually extreme weather, knowing with certainty how much CO2 and other gasses influence the climate or if they fluctuate together, natural changes in polar ice caps etc.
-Stability isn't normal! Somehow, it seems like we are expected to believe that the current world climate is supposed to stay the same for the foreseable future. We shouldn't! It will get warmer or cooler, and both will have significant on where we can live, how we migrate and where food is grown among other things.
-We currently cause much bigger migration problems through wars and misgovernance than climate change.

That being said, there are other very good reasons to get rid of fossile fuels too, but I dislike that CO2 is treated like pollution, which it isn't.

Someone living in Norway cheering global warming because it will make their winters a bit softer is just great. What about the vast majority of people that don’t live on the north pole?
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
October 09 2018 12:09 GMT
#16518
It also takes pretty profound hubris to underestimate the widespread migratory effects that unmitigated climate change would spur. All of those quiet Northern Hemisphere countries that love their seclusion will only be able to maintain that kind of thing for so long.
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8194 Posts
October 09 2018 12:10 GMT
#16519
On October 09 2018 20:07 Wegandi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 17:56 Biff The Understudy wrote:
The tory party in the 1980’s didn’t have a base of mysoginists and male chauvinists as far as I know. The central question for Trump ectorate is whether or not white heterosexual men keep being at the top of social hierarchy. I think even someone as hard as Thatcher would be a liability at that point. A white macho bully is the only realistic persectove to lead the GOP as long as the thematics that interest its voters haven’t changed.


Right, that's why there are many women GOP Senators and Representatives. That's also why they nominated a woman as VP....a woman, I might add, that was viciously attacked by Democrats. I suppose it's like GOP African Americans - they're called all sorts of names and derided by Democrats. Is there no shame in the hypocrisy? I really really dislike having to defend people like Palin and Bachmann or Sarah Huckabee, but damn, man, the hypocrisy is a lot worse. Don't ya'll get tired of name calling all the time? It's why you guys keep losing elections and are huddled in small enclaves by alienating everyone outside your little bubbles. At least GH tends to argue on the merits and policies (outside of calling every white person by default a racist, but I digress).

I’ve read a bit of the litterature of the alt right’s “intellectuals” such as Milo or Saphiro, and have had opportunities to interract a bit with them on the internets. I’m sorry to say that the fact they embraced Palin as VP doesn’t make those people for whom feminism is cancer any less mysoginists in my views.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
October 09 2018 12:14 GMT
#16520
On October 09 2018 21:04 Grumbels wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 09 2018 18:02 Slydie wrote:
On October 09 2018 17:29 Neneu wrote:
On October 09 2018 15:30 Slydie wrote:
On October 09 2018 14:07 Bigtony wrote:
On October 09 2018 11:39 plasmidghost wrote:
I see that nuclear's cost per kWh is an average of 2.10 cents while wind and solar are rapidly plummeting to now an average of 6 cents and 10 cents, respectively, with some instances of it being even lower, so nuclear doesn't make too much sense anymore, given that we'll probably break the 2.1 cent threshold sometime early next decade

https://www.instituteforenergyresearch.org/renewable/electric-generating-costs-a-primer/
https://www.forbes.com/sites/dominicdudley/2018/01/13/renewable-energy-cost-effective-fossil-fuels-2020/#3aa6ce124ff2



3 to 5 times the cost and it "doesn't make sense" to go with the cheaper cost...? that's some funny math.


Yes, I don't get it! I have decided not to worry about climate change, as extremely few people and governments are willing to put cutting CO2 emissions first once it seriously hurts their economy or lifestyle. Humans are great at adapting to changing conditions anyway. America is populated by Europeans partly because of a COLD period in Europe, causing famine.

Colder is worse than warmer, and I believe the climate will prove to be uncontrollable, despite our best efforts.


Well if you are not worried I advice you to at least glance over the summary of the report:

http://report.ipcc.ch/sr15/pdf/sr15_spm_final.pdf

Also, I don't get how people can be against nuclear power, but still have trust in climate change. The only difference between climate deniers and people against nuclear power is that while climate deniers deny the disease, people against nuclear power refuse the medicine. It is cherry picking of science to confirm your own believes at its best.

Well unless one believes the effects of climate change to be less dangerous than nuclear power, but that would be just absurd.


I will read it more carefully at some point, but no, I am not worried.

-There will be significant posetive effects of a warmer climate locally. Humans don't like change, but it is not always bad.
-I think of climate models similar to programming the football all players of football field into a model and use it to determine the outcome of a match. They will never come close to reality. I also assume that there are strong incentives to making negative prognosis, as they make more awarness of the field and eventually more funding for climate research.
-Our perspective of what is "normal" is extremely narrow. If we had detailed data from the last 1 million years, I think we would have looked very differently at current events: Super volcanoes, ice ages, big swings in solar activity, changing currents, knowing what is actually extreme weather, knowing with certainty how much CO2 and other gasses influence the climate or if they fluctuate together, natural changes in polar ice caps etc.
-Stability isn't normal! Somehow, it seems like we are expected to believe that the current world climate is supposed to stay the same for the foreseable future. We shouldn't! It will get warmer or cooler, and both will have significant on where we can live, how we migrate and where food is grown among other things.
-We currently cause much bigger migration problems through wars and misgovernance than climate change.

That being said, there are other very good reasons to get rid of fossile fuels too, but I dislike that CO2 is treated like pollution, which it isn't.

Someone living in Norway cheering global warming because it will make their winters a bit softer is just great. What about the vast majority of people that don’t live on the north pole?


I don't live in Norway, but I am from there. Please go for the ball, not the man! I am happy to listen to other points of view!
Buff the siegetank
Prev 1 824 825 826 827 828 5993 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft285
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta78
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
WinterStarcraft487
PiGStarcraft285
RuFF_SC2 205
SpeCial 82
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 72
Hyuk 51
Stork 41
Bale 15
Icarus 7
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm186
Counter-Strike
taco 427
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox779
C9.Mang0323
Westballz27
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor625
Other Games
summit1g9678
Coldzera 806
JimRising 606
Sick118
ViBE76
ArmadaUGS38
Liquid`Ken7
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick758
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream107
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 106
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota240
League of Legends
• Lourlo1081
• Stunt305
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
5h 53m
Online Event
6h 53m
FEL
11h 53m
AI Arena Tournament
12h 53m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
14h 53m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 5h
INu's Battles
1d 7h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 14h
Replay Cast
1d 19h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.