• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:51
CEST 11:51
KST 18:51
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8149 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 4277

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 4275 4276 4277 4278 4279 6001 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 16 2024 23:50 GMT
#85521
On July 17 2024 07:31 Acrofales wrote:
We'll, it is true that we generally hold TL posters to a higher standard than US presidents. For instance, the State of the Union could include a whole paragraph about how OP banelings are, and that Zerg needs nerfing and people might think the president had gone off the deep end, but he wouldn't get censored for it. Things have gotten a bit lax in here over the years, but a good balance wine is still a proper way to get banned from TL!

Which kind of balance wine goes well with cheese, red or white?
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Gahlo
Profile Joined February 2010
United States35174 Posts
July 17 2024 00:06 GMT
#85522
On July 17 2024 08:24 KwarK wrote:
On an unrelated note I’m interested in seeing the results of the report into the SS failures that let the shooter take a shot. Apparently crowd members had reported seeing him there to law enforcement and looking at photos he’s extremely conspicuous there. Black clothes on a light roof. Someone really ought to lose their job over the shooter getting an opportunity to tease us like that.

I've seen reports that the USSS is saying it was outside the perimeter, so it wasn't in their jurisdiction and a state issue. The state cops said that by law he wasn't doing anything wrong until he pointed the gun at Trump.
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
July 17 2024 00:07 GMT
#85523
On July 17 2024 08:17 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 07:59 BlackJack wrote:
I mean if you want to retreat behind "I'm just a lowly forum user of no importance so I shouldn't be held responsible for the shitty things I say" then I'm happy to leave it at that.

It’s not a retreat, it’s a statement of objective fact. It would be extremely reckless for Trump to say some of the things that I’ve said. It is not reckless for me to say them. Feel free to hold me responsible for the damage my words do, I’m not afraid because they’re not going to do any damage. It’s not that I’m not being held accountable for the harm my words do, it’s that there is no harm. I accept equal blame for the deaths of people in mobs I incite as Trump, but unlike Trump nobody has ever died in one of my mobs.

I don’t know why you’re picking this hill to die on. It is objectively true that I have less power than Trump. If I show up to work angry and confrontational then nothing bad happens, if Trump does the same then bad things happen. It’s not an excuse, it’s a fact, even if you don’t like it. Facts famously don’t care about your feelings.


That's why I keep mentioning that it wouldn't fly if I or Introvert said the same deranged things you say. Neither of us are former Presidents so your catch-all doesn't work at explaining that away.
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
July 17 2024 00:08 GMT
#85524
On July 17 2024 09:06 Gahlo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 08:24 KwarK wrote:
On an unrelated note I’m interested in seeing the results of the report into the SS failures that let the shooter take a shot. Apparently crowd members had reported seeing him there to law enforcement and looking at photos he’s extremely conspicuous there. Black clothes on a light roof. Someone really ought to lose their job over the shooter getting an opportunity to tease us like that.

I've seen reports that the USSS is saying it was outside the perimeter, so it wasn't in their jurisdiction and a state issue. The state cops said that by law he wasn't doing anything wrong until he pointed the gun at Trump.


That's hilarious if true
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
July 17 2024 00:10 GMT
#85525
On July 17 2024 09:07 BlackJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 08:17 KwarK wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:59 BlackJack wrote:
I mean if you want to retreat behind "I'm just a lowly forum user of no importance so I shouldn't be held responsible for the shitty things I say" then I'm happy to leave it at that.

It’s not a retreat, it’s a statement of objective fact. It would be extremely reckless for Trump to say some of the things that I’ve said. It is not reckless for me to say them. Feel free to hold me responsible for the damage my words do, I’m not afraid because they’re not going to do any damage. It’s not that I’m not being held accountable for the harm my words do, it’s that there is no harm. I accept equal blame for the deaths of people in mobs I incite as Trump, but unlike Trump nobody has ever died in one of my mobs.

I don’t know why you’re picking this hill to die on. It is objectively true that I have less power than Trump. If I show up to work angry and confrontational then nothing bad happens, if Trump does the same then bad things happen. It’s not an excuse, it’s a fact, even if you don’t like it. Facts famously don’t care about your feelings.


That's why I keep mentioning that it wouldn't fly if I or Introvert said the same deranged things you say. Neither of us are former Presidents so your catch-all doesn't work at explaining that away.

Wouldn’t fly how? Are my statements flying in a way that yours would not? Have you tried?
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
July 17 2024 00:14 GMT
#85526
On July 17 2024 09:06 Gahlo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 08:24 KwarK wrote:
On an unrelated note I’m interested in seeing the results of the report into the SS failures that let the shooter take a shot. Apparently crowd members had reported seeing him there to law enforcement and looking at photos he’s extremely conspicuous there. Black clothes on a light roof. Someone really ought to lose their job over the shooter getting an opportunity to tease us like that.

I've seen reports that the USSS is saying it was outside the perimeter, so it wasn't in their jurisdiction and a state issue. The state cops said that by law he wasn't doing anything wrong until he pointed the gun at Trump.

*America intensifies*
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-07-17 00:20:32
July 17 2024 00:15 GMT
#85527
On July 17 2024 09:10 KwarK wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 09:07 BlackJack wrote:
On July 17 2024 08:17 KwarK wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:59 BlackJack wrote:
I mean if you want to retreat behind "I'm just a lowly forum user of no importance so I shouldn't be held responsible for the shitty things I say" then I'm happy to leave it at that.

It’s not a retreat, it’s a statement of objective fact. It would be extremely reckless for Trump to say some of the things that I’ve said. It is not reckless for me to say them. Feel free to hold me responsible for the damage my words do, I’m not afraid because they’re not going to do any damage. It’s not that I’m not being held accountable for the harm my words do, it’s that there is no harm. I accept equal blame for the deaths of people in mobs I incite as Trump, but unlike Trump nobody has ever died in one of my mobs.

I don’t know why you’re picking this hill to die on. It is objectively true that I have less power than Trump. If I show up to work angry and confrontational then nothing bad happens, if Trump does the same then bad things happen. It’s not an excuse, it’s a fact, even if you don’t like it. Facts famously don’t care about your feelings.


That's why I keep mentioning that it wouldn't fly if I or Introvert said the same deranged things you say. Neither of us are former Presidents so your catch-all doesn't work at explaining that away.

Wouldn’t fly how? Are my statements flying in a way that yours would not? Have you tried?


If Introvert called for a 2nd amendment solution to the people unfairly engaging in "lawfare" against Trump I'd imagine at least one other user would give a "hey man, that's not cool." Which would be a far harsher rebuke than you've received.

Edit: correction, I remember DPB giving you a hey man that's not cool, once. That's about it.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44367 Posts
July 17 2024 00:17 GMT
#85528
On July 17 2024 09:15 BlackJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 09:10 KwarK wrote:
On July 17 2024 09:07 BlackJack wrote:
On July 17 2024 08:17 KwarK wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:59 BlackJack wrote:
I mean if you want to retreat behind "I'm just a lowly forum user of no importance so I shouldn't be held responsible for the shitty things I say" then I'm happy to leave it at that.

It’s not a retreat, it’s a statement of objective fact. It would be extremely reckless for Trump to say some of the things that I’ve said. It is not reckless for me to say them. Feel free to hold me responsible for the damage my words do, I’m not afraid because they’re not going to do any damage. It’s not that I’m not being held accountable for the harm my words do, it’s that there is no harm. I accept equal blame for the deaths of people in mobs I incite as Trump, but unlike Trump nobody has ever died in one of my mobs.

I don’t know why you’re picking this hill to die on. It is objectively true that I have less power than Trump. If I show up to work angry and confrontational then nothing bad happens, if Trump does the same then bad things happen. It’s not an excuse, it’s a fact, even if you don’t like it. Facts famously don’t care about your feelings.


That's why I keep mentioning that it wouldn't fly if I or Introvert said the same deranged things you say. Neither of us are former Presidents so your catch-all doesn't work at explaining that away.

Wouldn’t fly how? Are my statements flying in a way that yours would not? Have you tried?


If Introvert called for a 2nd amendment solution to the people unfairly engaging in "lawfare" against Trump I'd imagine at least one other user would give a "hey man, that's not cool." Which would be a far harsher rebuke than you've received.

I’ve had multiple people give me days of shit for it. How have you not noticed? You’re literally one of those people.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
July 17 2024 00:21 GMT
#85529
On July 17 2024 09:06 Gahlo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 08:24 KwarK wrote:
On an unrelated note I’m interested in seeing the results of the report into the SS failures that let the shooter take a shot. Apparently crowd members had reported seeing him there to law enforcement and looking at photos he’s extremely conspicuous there. Black clothes on a light roof. Someone really ought to lose their job over the shooter getting an opportunity to tease us like that.

I've seen reports that the USSS is saying it was outside the perimeter, so it wasn't in their jurisdiction and a state issue. The state cops said that by law he wasn't doing anything wrong until he pointed the gun at Trump.

This reminds me of what I heard happened to someone when they were concealed carrying a handgun while playing golf at their country club. The President was coming to play at the club and secret service was everywhere. The agents asked to "wand" the guy since he could come into line-of-sight of the president during the round of golf. The guy showed that he had a permit to carry his handgun (whatever applied in this jurisdiction). The Secret Service said "okay" and posted an agent to shadow him. If the member tried to pull anything, presumably the agent would stop him before he could shoot the president.

The same thing would likely apply here. If you have someone acting suspicious just outside the perimeter of a former president's (and candidate's) speech (e.g., carrying an AR-15 which they are legally allowed to have), then you post law enforcement on them until they leave the area (or the VIP leaves or whatever). The "he wasn't doing anything wrong" isn't much of a defense here.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24382 Posts
July 17 2024 00:36 GMT
#85530
On July 17 2024 07:13 micronesia wrote:
Kwark isn't eligible to be president by the way.


One of the few Republican ideas I'm sad didn't pass. Had the The Equal Opportunity to Govern Amendment been passed, we could be on our way to president Schwarzenegger in 2024, and welcoming in our glorious Demolition Man inspired future.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Lmui
Profile Joined November 2010
Canada6223 Posts
July 17 2024 00:51 GMT
#85531
On July 17 2024 09:08 BlackJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 09:06 Gahlo wrote:
On July 17 2024 08:24 KwarK wrote:
On an unrelated note I’m interested in seeing the results of the report into the SS failures that let the shooter take a shot. Apparently crowd members had reported seeing him there to law enforcement and looking at photos he’s extremely conspicuous there. Black clothes on a light roof. Someone really ought to lose their job over the shooter getting an opportunity to tease us like that.

I've seen reports that the USSS is saying it was outside the perimeter, so it wasn't in their jurisdiction and a state issue. The state cops said that by law he wasn't doing anything wrong until he pointed the gun at Trump.


That's hilarious if true


Police in this case are as competent as the police at Uvalde.
Apparently SS was already looking for the shooter at the time the shots went out which is why the shooter was stopped so quickly. The proactive stuff was done poorly, but reactive was done OK IMO.

Someone also did a slowmo showing how lucky Trump is:
https://www.reddit.com/r/interestingasfuck/comments/1e4xbt4/trumps_head_movement_during_the_shooting_was/

It was a pretty good shot a fraction of a second earlier, literally dodged a bullet.
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 17 2024 02:09 GMT
#85532
On July 17 2024 07:23 BlackJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 07:08 brian wrote:
oh, I appreciate you sharing, and my mistake, and sorry.


No worries. I'm merely trying to point out the double standard here. People on the left are quick to point out that a straight line can be drawn to violence from right-wing rhetoric. Say wrongthink about COVID and you're responsible for hate crimes on Asian people. Deny that a man can get pregnant and you're encouraging violence against trans people etc. It's their favorite argument. As soon as the shoe is on the other foot and someone blatantly longs for a 2nd amendment solution to this pesky Trump and judge problem it's "oh he's not promoting any violence." We need a little consistency here.

Ah come on a little violence never hurt anyone.

I’m not gonna ‘virtue signal and pretend it would be some massive human tragedy if Donald Trump got pre-removed from this campaign’s list of eligible candidates, although probably regrettable because of the absolute shitshow that would ensue. Not that I think we’re a million miles away as is but it would likely precipitate even more hostile political dysfunction.

There are rises in violence against all sorts of groups in the aftermath of rhetoric, although yes drawing a direct line between word and subsequent deed is something impossible to 100% quantify, but folks with platforms and actual influence do have some responsibility not to stoke various fires.

I mean I’m a paid up member of Kwark’s Barmy Army and ready for his revolution, but we’re very small in number
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-07-17 05:31:40
July 17 2024 05:27 GMT
#85533
On July 17 2024 07:23 BlackJack wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 07:08 brian wrote:
oh, I appreciate you sharing, and my mistake, and sorry.

Say wrongthink about COVID and you're responsible for hate crimes on Asian people. Deny that a man can get pregnant and you're encouraging violence against trans people etc. It's their favorite argument.


Who is making these arguments?
The problem with saying that this is an issue with the whole left, and then using the most idiotic examples you can possibly think of, is that those examples don't describe the whole left at all, but a loud but tiny fringe.

In fact, let's test your theory:

I am saying now, without any second thoughts or doubts, that men can't get pregnant.

Right, now let's wait for 'the left' to come and tell me about violence.
RIP Meatloaf <3
Simberto
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Germany12023 Posts
July 17 2024 05:54 GMT
#85534
On July 17 2024 14:27 Jockmcplop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 07:23 BlackJack wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:08 brian wrote:
oh, I appreciate you sharing, and my mistake, and sorry.

Say wrongthink about COVID and you're responsible for hate crimes on Asian people. Deny that a man can get pregnant and you're encouraging violence against trans people etc. It's their favorite argument.


Who is making these arguments?
The problem with saying that this is an issue with the whole left, and then using the most idiotic examples you can possibly think of, is that those examples don't describe the whole left at all, but a loud but tiny fringe.

In fact, let's test your theory:

I am saying now, without any second thoughts or doubts, that men can't get pregnant.

Right, now let's wait for 'the left' to come and tell me about violence.


I am here, as "the left", to inform you that some men are trans men, who may have functional ovaries and a functional uterus, and can thus get pregnant.

I assume you feel incredibly threatened by the violence i just did upon your opinion.
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10006 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-07-17 06:06:46
July 17 2024 06:06 GMT
#85535
On July 17 2024 14:54 Simberto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 14:27 Jockmcplop wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:23 BlackJack wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:08 brian wrote:
oh, I appreciate you sharing, and my mistake, and sorry.

Say wrongthink about COVID and you're responsible for hate crimes on Asian people. Deny that a man can get pregnant and you're encouraging violence against trans people etc. It's their favorite argument.


Who is making these arguments?
The problem with saying that this is an issue with the whole left, and then using the most idiotic examples you can possibly think of, is that those examples don't describe the whole left at all, but a loud but tiny fringe.

In fact, let's test your theory:

I am saying now, without any second thoughts or doubts, that men can't get pregnant.

Right, now let's wait for 'the left' to come and tell me about violence.


I am here, as "the left", to inform you that some men are trans men, who may have functional ovaries and a functional uterus, and can thus get pregnant.

I assume you feel incredibly threatened by the violence i just did upon your opinion.

This is true, and I admit, I should have made clear that I meant 'biological males or people who were born male'.

I still believe this. I genuinely believe it, and I don't think saying it has anything to do with violence against trans women, and I don't think anyone else reasonable thinks that either (unless you go to the 'full of morons who don't understand anything' part of twitter).

I guess the point I was trying to make is that it isn't always about the bottom line content of what you say, but the context you say it in.

If people here thought I was right wing its possible that they would come and make that argument against me, but I doubt it.

If, however, we were in a discussion about trans people and their rights generally and this was yet another point I've made in a disrespectful, angry speech about how trans women should be called men and all they want to do is sexually assault women then I would expect a reaction even at just saying biological males can't get pregnant.

Once people know someone is a bigot, they will attack them for being a bigot even when it isn't appropriate or smart to do so. That's just how things are.
RIP Meatloaf <3
MJG
Profile Joined May 2018
United Kingdom1451 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-07-17 06:42:19
July 17 2024 06:41 GMT
#85536
On July 17 2024 09:36 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 07:13 micronesia wrote:
Kwark isn't eligible to be president by the way.

One of the few Republican ideas I'm sad didn't pass. Had the The Equal Opportunity to Govern Amendment been passed, we could be on our way to president Schwarzenegger in 2024, and welcoming in our glorious Demolition Man inspired future.

Demolition Man is Sylvester Stallone.
puking up frothing vitriolic sarcastic spittle
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
July 17 2024 06:57 GMT
#85537
On July 17 2024 15:06 Jockmcplop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 14:54 Simberto wrote:
On July 17 2024 14:27 Jockmcplop wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:23 BlackJack wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:08 brian wrote:
oh, I appreciate you sharing, and my mistake, and sorry.

Say wrongthink about COVID and you're responsible for hate crimes on Asian people. Deny that a man can get pregnant and you're encouraging violence against trans people etc. It's their favorite argument.


Who is making these arguments?
The problem with saying that this is an issue with the whole left, and then using the most idiotic examples you can possibly think of, is that those examples don't describe the whole left at all, but a loud but tiny fringe.

In fact, let's test your theory:

I am saying now, without any second thoughts or doubts, that men can't get pregnant.

Right, now let's wait for 'the left' to come and tell me about violence.


I am here, as "the left", to inform you that some men are trans men, who may have functional ovaries and a functional uterus, and can thus get pregnant.

I assume you feel incredibly threatened by the violence i just did upon your opinion.

This is true, and I admit, I should have made clear that I meant 'biological males or people who were born male'.



good save
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24382 Posts
July 17 2024 07:07 GMT
#85538
On July 17 2024 15:41 MJG wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 09:36 GreenHorizons wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:13 micronesia wrote:
Kwark isn't eligible to be president by the way.

One of the few Republican ideas I'm sad didn't pass. Had the The Equal Opportunity to Govern Amendment been passed, we could be on our way to president Schwarzenegger in 2024, and welcoming in our glorious Demolition Man inspired future.

Demolition Man is Sylvester Stallone.

Clearly you're unfamiliar with the Schwarzenegger library.

+ Show Spoiler +


Who would have thought Demolition Man was too optimistic?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
Last Edited: 2024-07-17 07:15:49
July 17 2024 07:14 GMT
#85539
On July 17 2024 14:54 Simberto wrote:
Show nested quote +
On July 17 2024 14:27 Jockmcplop wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:23 BlackJack wrote:
On July 17 2024 07:08 brian wrote:
oh, I appreciate you sharing, and my mistake, and sorry.

Say wrongthink about COVID and you're responsible for hate crimes on Asian people. Deny that a man can get pregnant and you're encouraging violence against trans people etc. It's their favorite argument.


Who is making these arguments?
The problem with saying that this is an issue with the whole left, and then using the most idiotic examples you can possibly think of, is that those examples don't describe the whole left at all, but a loud but tiny fringe.

In fact, let's test your theory:

I am saying now, without any second thoughts or doubts, that men can't get pregnant.

Right, now let's wait for 'the left' to come and tell me about violence.


I am here, as "the left", to inform you that some men are trans men, who may have functional ovaries and a functional uterus, and can thus get pregnant.

I assume you feel incredibly threatened by the violence i just did upon your opinion.

I feel we just lack the language here, or at least the widespread adoption of language and concepts, so we end up in various daft scenarios like ‘define a woman’ thrown out as some kinda gotcha. Oddly enough rarely ‘define a man’, for whatever reason.

On one far end of the scale no matter the evidence to the contrary some just refuse to recognise the biology/gender split, and thus the legitimacy of trans folk. On the other, people almost entirely discount the whole biological part of the equation.

One can of course add specifiers such as biological or cis/trans to better clarify.

I’m not the world’s foremost expert on the topic, I’ve read a bit around the place and some cultures have more fluid language for such things, and perhaps in a way that helps shape attitudes. Although sadly many of those cultures either don’t, or borderline don’t really exist anymore, certainly not enough to move the zeitgeist much.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
July 17 2024 07:22 GMT
#85540
As an aside, was watching ye olde regular TV news over here and Vance was getting airtime for cracking that with Labour in government the UK would be the first Islamist nuclear power.

Aside from Pakistan already having nukes, and yes Islamic/Islamist are different things, albeit conservatives seem to just use them interchangeably.

Was that just an off-the-cuff little jest he made to a certain audience, or reflective of some serious attitudes that he may hold? Like is he the type to say things like ‘Londonistan’ earnestly or what?

I know very little of the bloke so was just seeking a bit of input from some who might be more familiar. Cheers
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Prev 1 4275 4276 4277 4278 4279 6001 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 9m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 206
EnDerr 12
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 25962
Hyuk 669
Bisu 354
Rush 317
actioN 220
Stork 196
Soma 152
EffOrt 86
Pusan 61
Mong 57
[ Show more ]
ToSsGirL 56
NotJumperer 56
Shinee 56
Yoon 52
Shine 51
Bale 45
Killer 36
Barracks 30
Sharp 27
ajuk12(nOOB) 25
Noble 24
sorry 15
yabsab 11
Sacsri 10
HiyA 10
Dota 2
Gorgc3410
League of Legends
JimRising 377
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1265
shoxiejesuss984
edward26
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King134
Other Games
gofns36149
summit1g7226
singsing1401
ceh9594
crisheroes183
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick669
BasetradeTV166
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream24
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 41
• LUISG 25
• killerbeecast5
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV208
• lizZardDota2134
League of Legends
• Stunt373
Other Games
• Shiphtur920
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
9m
INu's Battles
1h 9m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
3h 9m
OSC
12h 24m
Replay Cast
13h 9m
OSC
1d 13h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.