• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 15:13
CEST 21:13
KST 04:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9954 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 3864

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 3862 3863 3864 3865 3866 5994 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-02-03 05:51:56
February 03 2023 05:50 GMT
#77261
On February 03 2023 13:06 gobbledydook wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2023 11:33 GreenHorizons wrote:
I was going to leave it alone (and still largely am) but the revolution discussion made me wonder what people's actual objections are to socialist revolution in the US?

1. There's opposition to socialism itself.

2. There's the notion that the status quo is imperfectly optimal and just needs modifications within it's own parameters (this would include reformism with socialism/communism as it's ultimate goal/ideal).

3. There's fear of people losing their comfort, social status, livelihoods, lives, etc.

4. There's the uncertainty that a revolution would be successful in overcoming the existing system that comes with fears of the consequences of a failed revolution (like the sacrifices being made in vain/retaliation for insolence).

5. There's fear of a successful revolution that removes the existing power structure only to replace it with something similar/worse.

I feel like those are the major/umbrella points of opposition I've encountered, but I'm curious if I'm missing any (they could easily be slipping my mind in the moment).

Are people familiar with objections to a socialist revolution in the US that don't fit one of those?


I think there's a lot of people who don't know what a socialist revolution would mean and therefore are instinctively against it.

I'm not sure I understand what you're conveying when you say "don't know what a socialist revolution would mean". Like they don't know the term "socialist revolution" describes a social revolution to transition us to socialism so they viscerally oppose it rather than intellectually?

The parallel that comes to mind is when people oppose allowing dihydrogen monoxide in schools or whatever.

Or do you mean something else?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Velr
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
Switzerland10960 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-02-03 07:33:39
February 03 2023 07:33 GMT
#77262
Maybe most people plain don't want socialism?

You could probably bring a majority of the people on the side of better/more public services/redistribution but a full on socialist society by (violent) revolution, despite it's track record? Good luck with selling that.
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28901 Posts
February 03 2023 07:34 GMT
#77263
You are missing dislike of the violent component of a revolution. I'm very positively inclined towards a theoretical socialist future society but I think the steps required to get there non-incrementally will almost inevitably not only inflict a lot of damage on society, but also corrupt the well-intentioned initiators of said revolution. Basically the skillset required for a successful revolution seem fairly distant from those required to govern, and the personality that takes charge of such a movement tends to also believe they're suitable for government. The revolution eating its own children if you like.
Moderator
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
February 03 2023 08:22 GMT
#77264
Even if the revolution is somehow successful, what are the odds the defeated part will just sit quietly in the boat and accept the new reality? The new regime will either have to brutally surpress all opposition for a long time or run the risk of a counter revolution and parts of the population not obeying.

Usually, the surpressing tactic is chosen, at the cost of both hatred for the regime and the government caring more about staying in power than functional socialist policies.
Buff the siegetank
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-02-03 08:42:06
February 03 2023 08:32 GMT
#77265
On February 03 2023 16:34 Liquid`Drone wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2023 11:33 GreenHorizons wrote:
I was going to leave it alone (and still largely am) but the revolution discussion made me wonder what people's actual objections are to socialist revolution in the US?

1. There's opposition to socialism itself.

2. There's the notion that the status quo is imperfectly optimal and just needs modifications within it's own parameters (this would include reformism with socialism/communism as it's ultimate goal/ideal).

3. There's fear of people losing their comfort, social status, livelihoods, lives, etc.

4. There's the uncertainty that a revolution would be successful in overcoming the existing system that comes with fears of the consequences of a failed revolution (like the sacrifices being made in vain/retaliation for insolence).

5. There's fear of a successful revolution that removes the existing power structure only to replace it with something similar/worse.

I feel like those are the major/umbrella points of opposition I've encountered, but I'm curious if I'm missing any (they could easily be slipping my mind in the moment).

Are people familiar with objections to a socialist revolution in the US that don't fit one of those?

You are missing dislike of the violent component of a revolution.
Why don't you think that falls under 3?
I'm very positively inclined towards a theoretical socialist future society but I think the steps required to get there non-incrementally will almost inevitably not only inflict a lot of damage on society, but also corrupt the well-intentioned initiators of said revolution. Basically the skillset required for a successful revolution seem fairly distant from those required to govern, and the personality that takes charge of such a movement tends to also believe they're suitable for government. The revolution eating its own children if you like.
I'm unclear if that's supporting information or other objections you didn't feel were included, but if it's the latter, I believe it falls under 3 and 5. All of which essentially falls under 2 since it is the objection it attempts to justify.

On February 03 2023 17:22 Slydie wrote:
Even if the revolution is somehow successful, what are the odds the defeated part will just sit quietly in the boat and accept the new reality? The new regime will either have to brutally surpress all opposition for a long time or run the risk of a counter revolution and parts of the population not obeying.

Usually, the surpressing tactic is chosen, at the cost of both hatred for the regime and the government caring more about staying in power than functional socialist policies.


Wouldn't you say that falls under 5?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
BlackJack
Profile Blog Joined June 2003
United States10574 Posts
February 03 2023 09:13 GMT
#77266
On February 03 2023 16:33 Velr wrote:
Maybe most people plain don't want socialism?

You could probably bring a majority of the people on the side of better/more public services/redistribution but a full on socialist society by (violent) revolution, despite it's track record? Good luck with selling that.


That’s option 1
RvB
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Netherlands6322 Posts
February 03 2023 09:44 GMT
#77267
On February 03 2023 11:33 GreenHorizons wrote:
I was going to leave it alone (and still largely am) but the revolution discussion made me wonder what people's actual objections are to socialist revolution in the US?

1. There's opposition to socialism itself.

2. There's the notion that the status quo is imperfectly optimal and just needs modifications within it's own parameters (this would include reformism with socialism/communism as it's ultimate goal/ideal).

3. There's fear of people losing their comfort, social status, livelihoods, lives, etc.

4. There's the uncertainty that a revolution would be successful in overcoming the existing system that comes with fears of the consequences of a failed revolution (like the sacrifices being made in vain/retaliation for insolence).

5. There's fear of a successful revolution that removes the existing power structure only to replace it with something similar/worse.

I feel like those are the major/umbrella points of opposition I've encountered, but I'm curious if I'm missing any (they could easily be slipping my mind in the moment).

Are people familiar with objections to a socialist revolution in the US that don't fit one of those?

One that I think you are missing is that in countries where there are relatively free and fair elections a revolution is not democratic. If your ideas are popular enough you can just win at the ballot box. Requiring a revolution to implement your new society is admitting that your policies are not popular enough.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
February 03 2023 10:39 GMT
#77268
On February 03 2023 18:44 RvB wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2023 11:33 GreenHorizons wrote:
I was going to leave it alone (and still largely am) but the revolution discussion made me wonder what people's actual objections are to socialist revolution in the US?

1. There's opposition to socialism itself.

2. There's the notion that the status quo is imperfectly optimal and just needs modifications within it's own parameters (this would include reformism with socialism/communism as it's ultimate goal/ideal).

3. There's fear of people losing their comfort, social status, livelihoods, lives, etc.

4. There's the uncertainty that a revolution would be successful in overcoming the existing system that comes with fears of the consequences of a failed revolution (like the sacrifices being made in vain/retaliation for insolence).

5. There's fear of a successful revolution that removes the existing power structure only to replace it with something similar/worse.

I feel like those are the major/umbrella points of opposition I've encountered, but I'm curious if I'm missing any (they could easily be slipping my mind in the moment).

Are people familiar with objections to a socialist revolution in the US that don't fit one of those?

One that I think you are missing is that in countries where there are relatively free and fair elections a revolution is not democratic. If your ideas are popular enough you can just win at the ballot box. Requiring a revolution to implement your new society is admitting that your policies are not popular enough.

Does that not pretty squarely fall under 2?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
February 03 2023 10:54 GMT
#77269
On February 03 2023 19:39 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2023 18:44 RvB wrote:
On February 03 2023 11:33 GreenHorizons wrote:
I was going to leave it alone (and still largely am) but the revolution discussion made me wonder what people's actual objections are to socialist revolution in the US?

1. There's opposition to socialism itself.

2. There's the notion that the status quo is imperfectly optimal and just needs modifications within it's own parameters (this would include reformism with socialism/communism as it's ultimate goal/ideal).

3. There's fear of people losing their comfort, social status, livelihoods, lives, etc.

4. There's the uncertainty that a revolution would be successful in overcoming the existing system that comes with fears of the consequences of a failed revolution (like the sacrifices being made in vain/retaliation for insolence).

5. There's fear of a successful revolution that removes the existing power structure only to replace it with something similar/worse.

I feel like those are the major/umbrella points of opposition I've encountered, but I'm curious if I'm missing any (they could easily be slipping my mind in the moment).

Are people familiar with objections to a socialist revolution in the US that don't fit one of those?

One that I think you are missing is that in countries where there are relatively free and fair elections a revolution is not democratic. If your ideas are popular enough you can just win at the ballot box. Requiring a revolution to implement your new society is admitting that your policies are not popular enough.

Does that not pretty squarely fall under 2?


No, it falls under your 1.
Buff the siegetank
Liquid`Drone
Profile Joined September 2002
Norway28901 Posts
February 03 2023 11:11 GMT
#77270
3 and 5 cover it somewhat but with a focus on lives and livelihoods, not comfort and status. Some people losing status / a change in what grants status would be a net positive .
Moderator
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
February 03 2023 11:31 GMT
#77271
On February 03 2023 19:54 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2023 19:39 GreenHorizons wrote:
On February 03 2023 18:44 RvB wrote:
On February 03 2023 11:33 GreenHorizons wrote:
I was going to leave it alone (and still largely am) but the revolution discussion made me wonder what people's actual objections are to socialist revolution in the US?

1. There's opposition to socialism itself.

2. There's the notion that the status quo is imperfectly optimal and just needs modifications within it's own parameters (this would include reformism with socialism/communism as it's ultimate goal/ideal).

3. There's fear of people losing their comfort, social status, livelihoods, lives, etc.

4. There's the uncertainty that a revolution would be successful in overcoming the existing system that comes with fears of the consequences of a failed revolution (like the sacrifices being made in vain/retaliation for insolence).

5. There's fear of a successful revolution that removes the existing power structure only to replace it with something similar/worse.

I feel like those are the major/umbrella points of opposition I've encountered, but I'm curious if I'm missing any (they could easily be slipping my mind in the moment).

Are people familiar with objections to a socialist revolution in the US that don't fit one of those?

One that I think you are missing is that in countries where there are relatively free and fair elections a revolution is not democratic. If your ideas are popular enough you can just win at the ballot box. Requiring a revolution to implement your new society is admitting that your policies are not popular enough.

Does that not pretty squarely fall under 2?


No, it falls under your 1.
The objection itself ("revolution is not democratic") seems to me to fall under 2. Basically that US democracy is adequate to implement socialist ideas/policy worth having within US democracy's own parameters. Socialist ideas losing at the ballot box is certainly a reference to 1, but the objection itself is 2 as I read it.

On February 03 2023 20:11 Liquid`Drone wrote:
3 and 5 cover it somewhat but with a focus on lives and livelihoods, not comfort and status. Some people losing status / a change in what grants status would be a net positive .

Are you comfortable saying I didn't miss any objections you're readily aware of?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
February 03 2023 11:55 GMT
#77272
On February 03 2023 20:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2023 19:54 Slydie wrote:
On February 03 2023 19:39 GreenHorizons wrote:
On February 03 2023 18:44 RvB wrote:
On February 03 2023 11:33 GreenHorizons wrote:
I was going to leave it alone (and still largely am) but the revolution discussion made me wonder what people's actual objections are to socialist revolution in the US?

1. There's opposition to socialism itself.

2. There's the notion that the status quo is imperfectly optimal and just needs modifications within it's own parameters (this would include reformism with socialism/communism as it's ultimate goal/ideal).

3. There's fear of people losing their comfort, social status, livelihoods, lives, etc.

4. There's the uncertainty that a revolution would be successful in overcoming the existing system that comes with fears of the consequences of a failed revolution (like the sacrifices being made in vain/retaliation for insolence).

5. There's fear of a successful revolution that removes the existing power structure only to replace it with something similar/worse.

I feel like those are the major/umbrella points of opposition I've encountered, but I'm curious if I'm missing any (they could easily be slipping my mind in the moment).

Are people familiar with objections to a socialist revolution in the US that don't fit one of those?

One that I think you are missing is that in countries where there are relatively free and fair elections a revolution is not democratic. If your ideas are popular enough you can just win at the ballot box. Requiring a revolution to implement your new society is admitting that your policies are not popular enough.

Does that not pretty squarely fall under 2?


No, it falls under your 1.
The objection itself ("revolution is not democratic") seems to me to fall under 2. Basically that US democracy is adequate to implement socialist ideas/policy worth having within US democracy's own parameters. Socialist ideas losing at the ballot box is certainly a reference to 1, but the objection itself is 2 as I read it.

Show nested quote +
On February 03 2023 20:11 Liquid`Drone wrote:
3 and 5 cover it somewhat but with a focus on lives and livelihoods, not comfort and status. Some people losing status / a change in what grants status would be a net positive .

Are you comfortable saying I didn't miss any objections you're readily aware of?


If your revolutionary ideas don't win elections, then it does not have enough support=1. I don't think is fair to assume that a lot of people "really" support your agenda but don't dare to for whatever reason.
Buff the siegetank
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24369 Posts
February 03 2023 13:30 GMT
#77273
On February 03 2023 20:55 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2023 20:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
On February 03 2023 19:54 Slydie wrote:
On February 03 2023 19:39 GreenHorizons wrote:
On February 03 2023 18:44 RvB wrote:
On February 03 2023 11:33 GreenHorizons wrote:
I was going to leave it alone (and still largely am) but the revolution discussion made me wonder what people's actual objections are to socialist revolution in the US?

1. There's opposition to socialism itself.

2. There's the notion that the status quo is imperfectly optimal and just needs modifications within it's own parameters (this would include reformism with socialism/communism as it's ultimate goal/ideal).

3. There's fear of people losing their comfort, social status, livelihoods, lives, etc.

4. There's the uncertainty that a revolution would be successful in overcoming the existing system that comes with fears of the consequences of a failed revolution (like the sacrifices being made in vain/retaliation for insolence).

5. There's fear of a successful revolution that removes the existing power structure only to replace it with something similar/worse.

I feel like those are the major/umbrella points of opposition I've encountered, but I'm curious if I'm missing any (they could easily be slipping my mind in the moment).

Are people familiar with objections to a socialist revolution in the US that don't fit one of those?

One that I think you are missing is that in countries where there are relatively free and fair elections a revolution is not democratic. If your ideas are popular enough you can just win at the ballot box. Requiring a revolution to implement your new society is admitting that your policies are not popular enough.

Does that not pretty squarely fall under 2?


No, it falls under your 1.
The objection itself ("revolution is not democratic") seems to me to fall under 2. Basically that US democracy is adequate to implement socialist ideas/policy worth having within US democracy's own parameters. Socialist ideas losing at the ballot box is certainly a reference to 1, but the objection itself is 2 as I read it.

On February 03 2023 20:11 Liquid`Drone wrote:
3 and 5 cover it somewhat but with a focus on lives and livelihoods, not comfort and status. Some people losing status / a change in what grants status would be a net positive .

Are you comfortable saying I didn't miss any objections you're readily aware of?


If your revolutionary ideas don't win elections, then it does not have enough support=1. I don't think is fair to assume that a lot of people "really" support your agenda but don't dare to for whatever reason.
I don't see the assumption you're describing. Just so it's clear what I'm saying:

Even if we assume that everyone that votes against socialist policy conscientiously falls under 1. What I'm saying is that people whose objection to socialist revolution in the US is based on it circumventing US democracy and "that is not democratic" (which was the objection as I understood it) fall under 2. 1 and 2 aren't mutually exclusive objections/groups/beliefs fwiw though.

Regardless, we can agree the objections are covered under my list. Are there objections that you are readily aware of that aren't covered under my list?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18450 Posts
February 03 2023 13:34 GMT
#77274
On February 03 2023 22:30 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2023 20:55 Slydie wrote:
On February 03 2023 20:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
On February 03 2023 19:54 Slydie wrote:
On February 03 2023 19:39 GreenHorizons wrote:
On February 03 2023 18:44 RvB wrote:
On February 03 2023 11:33 GreenHorizons wrote:
I was going to leave it alone (and still largely am) but the revolution discussion made me wonder what people's actual objections are to socialist revolution in the US?

1. There's opposition to socialism itself.

2. There's the notion that the status quo is imperfectly optimal and just needs modifications within it's own parameters (this would include reformism with socialism/communism as it's ultimate goal/ideal).

3. There's fear of people losing their comfort, social status, livelihoods, lives, etc.

4. There's the uncertainty that a revolution would be successful in overcoming the existing system that comes with fears of the consequences of a failed revolution (like the sacrifices being made in vain/retaliation for insolence).

5. There's fear of a successful revolution that removes the existing power structure only to replace it with something similar/worse.

I feel like those are the major/umbrella points of opposition I've encountered, but I'm curious if I'm missing any (they could easily be slipping my mind in the moment).

Are people familiar with objections to a socialist revolution in the US that don't fit one of those?

One that I think you are missing is that in countries where there are relatively free and fair elections a revolution is not democratic. If your ideas are popular enough you can just win at the ballot box. Requiring a revolution to implement your new society is admitting that your policies are not popular enough.

Does that not pretty squarely fall under 2?


No, it falls under your 1.
The objection itself ("revolution is not democratic") seems to me to fall under 2. Basically that US democracy is adequate to implement socialist ideas/policy worth having within US democracy's own parameters. Socialist ideas losing at the ballot box is certainly a reference to 1, but the objection itself is 2 as I read it.

On February 03 2023 20:11 Liquid`Drone wrote:
3 and 5 cover it somewhat but with a focus on lives and livelihoods, not comfort and status. Some people losing status / a change in what grants status would be a net positive .

Are you comfortable saying I didn't miss any objections you're readily aware of?


If your revolutionary ideas don't win elections, then it does not have enough support=1. I don't think is fair to assume that a lot of people "really" support your agenda but don't dare to for whatever reason.
I don't see the assumption you're describing. Just so it's clear what I'm saying:

Even if we assume that everyone that votes against socialist policy conscientiously falls under 1. What I'm saying is that people whose objection to socialist revolution in the US is based on it circumventing US democracy and "that is not democratic" (which was the objection as I understood it) fall under 2. 1 and 2 aren't mutually exclusive objections/groups/beliefs fwiw though.

Regardless, we can agree the objections are covered under my list. Are there objections that you are readily aware of that aren't covered under my list?

Maybe one from first principles? Doubt it's a very often-used one, but you could argue from first principles that any revolution is immoral. For instance, because a revolution requires the use of violence and the use of violence is immoral, even to stop greater violence on behalf of someone else. There may be other religious or ethical grounds on which people might oppose any revolution.

But I think you cover almost all objections in your points 1-5.
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
February 03 2023 15:08 GMT
#77275
On February 03 2023 20:55 Slydie wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 03 2023 20:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
On February 03 2023 19:54 Slydie wrote:
On February 03 2023 19:39 GreenHorizons wrote:
On February 03 2023 18:44 RvB wrote:
On February 03 2023 11:33 GreenHorizons wrote:
I was going to leave it alone (and still largely am) but the revolution discussion made me wonder what people's actual objections are to socialist revolution in the US?

1. There's opposition to socialism itself.

2. There's the notion that the status quo is imperfectly optimal and just needs modifications within it's own parameters (this would include reformism with socialism/communism as it's ultimate goal/ideal).

3. There's fear of people losing their comfort, social status, livelihoods, lives, etc.

4. There's the uncertainty that a revolution would be successful in overcoming the existing system that comes with fears of the consequences of a failed revolution (like the sacrifices being made in vain/retaliation for insolence).

5. There's fear of a successful revolution that removes the existing power structure only to replace it with something similar/worse.

I feel like those are the major/umbrella points of opposition I've encountered, but I'm curious if I'm missing any (they could easily be slipping my mind in the moment).

Are people familiar with objections to a socialist revolution in the US that don't fit one of those?

One that I think you are missing is that in countries where there are relatively free and fair elections a revolution is not democratic. If your ideas are popular enough you can just win at the ballot box. Requiring a revolution to implement your new society is admitting that your policies are not popular enough.

Does that not pretty squarely fall under 2?


No, it falls under your 1.
The objection itself ("revolution is not democratic") seems to me to fall under 2. Basically that US democracy is adequate to implement socialist ideas/policy worth having within US democracy's own parameters. Socialist ideas losing at the ballot box is certainly a reference to 1, but the objection itself is 2 as I read it.

On February 03 2023 20:11 Liquid`Drone wrote:
3 and 5 cover it somewhat but with a focus on lives and livelihoods, not comfort and status. Some people losing status / a change in what grants status would be a net positive .

Are you comfortable saying I didn't miss any objections you're readily aware of?


If your revolutionary ideas don't win elections, then it does not have enough support=1. I don't think is fair to assume that a lot of people "really" support your agenda but don't dare to for whatever reason.

Eh, that assumes that elections result in the person with most votes winning.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
gobbledydook
Profile Joined October 2012
Australia2605 Posts
February 03 2023 15:10 GMT
#77276
What is the purpose of making such a classification of objections to socialist revolution?
I am a dirty Protoss bullshit abuser
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22630 Posts
February 03 2023 15:15 GMT
#77277
On February 04 2023 00:10 gobbledydook wrote:
What is the purpose of making such a classification of objections to socialist revolution?
It lets GH blame everything except the movement itself for their failure.

Progressives have a literal roadmap of how to draw power to themselves and dictate policy as a minority faction by looking at the tea party and its evolution into Trumpism but instead they prefer to sulk about unfair the world is and how its silly that no one is interested in organizing a revolution for them.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
KwarK
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States44353 Posts
February 03 2023 15:19 GMT
#77278
On February 04 2023 00:15 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2023 00:10 gobbledydook wrote:
What is the purpose of making such a classification of objections to socialist revolution?
It lets GH blame everything except the movement itself for their failure.

Progressives have a literal roadmap of how to draw power to themselves and dictate policy as a minority faction by looking at the tea party and its evolution into Trumpism but instead they prefer to sulk about unfair the world is and how its silly that no one is interested in organizing a revolution for them.

This seems pointlessly rude, even to me.

He knows we’re generally not pro revolution and he’s asking us if his understanding of our reasons is correct.
ModeratorThe angels have the phone box
Slydie
Profile Joined August 2013
2011 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-02-03 16:40:04
February 03 2023 16:39 GMT
#77279
In Europe, there are typically 1-2 far left socialist parties. One of them might even have a goal of a revolution in their party program(!) At least in Norway, being forced to take a stand on how they really see revolution has been a major problem within the movement, and there is heavy disagreement.

The "Red" party in Norway would probably be to GH:s liking, and got a great result last election. Righ now, they are facing another problem: their ideology hindres them from supporting shipment of weapons to Ukraine. Their leader refuses to say what the thinks, and they look like fools.

A party like the "Red" will never get in a position to go through with their revolution. If they get close, and are forced to defend how they plan to turn society upside down, they will be heavily punished.
Buff the siegetank
DarkPlasmaBall
Profile Blog Joined March 2010
United States46484 Posts
Last Edited: 2023-02-03 17:11:45
February 03 2023 17:07 GMT
#77280
On February 04 2023 00:15 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 04 2023 00:10 gobbledydook wrote:
What is the purpose of making such a classification of objections to socialist revolution?
It lets GH blame everything except the movement itself for their failure.

Progressives have a literal roadmap of how to draw power to themselves and dictate policy as a minority faction by looking at the tea party and its evolution into Trumpism but instead they prefer to sulk about unfair the world is and how its silly that no one is interested in organizing a revolution for them.


I think there's a parallel in that progressives are mostly a subset of Democrats, and that Trump supporters are mostly a subset of Republicans, but I'm not sure if the tactics for gaining traction in one party will necessarily work for gaining traction in the other party. (There's probably a legitimate reason why Trump thought he'd succeed as a Republican candidate but fail as a Democratic candidate, flipping all his positions to conservative instead of liberal, like his stance on abortion.)

Also, even if an applicable roadmap does exist (with some minor adaptations), we're not exactly sure just yet if Trump and his supporters are going to continue being successful or if this is actually going to be a cautionary tale of how not to gain power. Trump did become president for a single term, but within a few years we've seen a lot of his controversial state picks lose elections, and who knows what's going to happen in 2024 and onward. If this short-term success doesn't lead to long-term representation, progressives might not want to follow Trump's lead.
"There is nothing more satisfying than looking at a crowd of people and helping them get what I love." ~Day[9] Daily #100
Prev 1 3862 3863 3864 3865 3866 5994 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
LiquipediaDiscussion
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
PRO & GOSU #2
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
JuggernautJason181
BRAT_OK 68
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 14214
Artosis 328
Mini 266
Dewaltoss 142
Mind 84
Hyun 44
ZZZero.O 41
Bale 23
NaDa 21
Dota 2
qojqva2840
420jenkins554
Counter-Strike
fl0m4036
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby6555
Khaldor1304
Liquid`Hasu1026
MindelVK13
Other Games
summit1g4365
FrodaN1761
B2W.Neo788
byalli421
ToD157
QueenE67
Railgan46
Mew2King35
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1159
BasetradeTV233
StarCraft 2
angryscii 37
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream36
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 39
• Reevou 7
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• 80smullet 26
• FirePhoenix7
• Azhi_Dahaki2
• niya90s 2
• FT.aCt)Sony1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• C_a_k_e 3817
Other Games
• imaqtpie866
• Shiphtur274
• WagamamaTV248
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
3h 47m
Afreeca Starleague
14h 47m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
15h 47m
Monday Night Weeklies
20h 47m
Replay Cast
1d 3h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 14h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 15h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
[ Show More ]
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.