• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 02:25
CEST 08:25
KST 15:25
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8516 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 3197

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 3195 3196 3197 3198 3199 5997 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-04-27 22:45:50
April 27 2021 22:45 GMT
#63921
Has anyone posted the ridiculous video of wayne lapierre failing to kill an elephant? NYT got it and well... it looks real bad. He paid someone to guide him to an elephant and then he missed three times at point blank range.

Now, it is disgusting in the first place - the way he's doing it. (I know that there's more nuance to it trophy hunting than that as it incentivizes the area to keep it's rare game alive and breeding, but persobally I don't like it). However, the bigger deal is probably going to be that a year after sandy hook and bragging about the necessity of good guys with guns, he failed to hit an unmoving target three times. I don't think that will play well with the pro gun crowd.
farvacola
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
United States18869 Posts
April 27 2021 22:52 GMT
#63922
I’d bet its release is related to the NRAs hotly disputed bankruptcy
"when the Dead Kennedys found out they had skinhead fans, they literally wrote a song titled 'Nazi Punks Fuck Off'"
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
April 27 2021 22:57 GMT
#63923
--- Nuked ---
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
April 27 2021 23:01 GMT
#63924
I can't imagine the mountain of insecurity someone needs to feel comfortable shooting an animal for sport. If you eat the animal, I can accept it, but hunting for sport is truly an abomination. I can't respect someone who hunts for sport. Not even the tiniest amount.
Nevuk
Profile Blog Joined March 2009
United States16280 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-04-27 23:05:56
April 27 2021 23:01 GMT
#63925
On April 28 2021 07:57 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2021 07:45 Nevuk wrote:
Has anyone posted the ridiculous video of wayne lapierre failing to kill an elephant? NYT got it and well... it looks real bad. He paid someone to guide him to an elephant and then he missed three times at point blank range.

Now, it is disgusting in the first place - the way he's doing it. (I know that there's more nuance to it trophy hunting than that as it incentivizes the area to keep it's rare game alive and breeding, but persobally I don't like it). However, the bigger deal is probably going to be that a year after sandy hook and bragging about the necessity of good guys with guns, he failed to hit an unmoving target three times. I don't think that will play well with the pro gun crowd.

Not only unmoving, but the largest land animal! Probably as big as the broad side of some barns!

Well, he technically still hit it... just missed it being lethal.

Which is honestly my biggest complaint here : the president of the NRA went sports hunting and tortured an animal because he was such a shitty shot, within a year of saying a good guy with a gun was the solution to toddlers being murdered. It's like the darkest kind of satire. In fact, his tour guide had to make the shot for him (and apparently his wife was a much better shot).

I don't like sports hunting but it's one thing to do it painlessly...

via new yorker btw, actually, not NYT.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/the-secret-footage-of-nra-chief-wayne-lapierres-botched-elephant-hunt

+ Show Spoiler +
The heat, at times, causes LaPierre to sweat. As he walks, his wire-framed glasses slide down his nose. After a guide spots an elephant standing behind a tree, LaPierre takes aim with a rifle. As LaPierre peers through the weapon’s scope, the guide repeatedly tells him to wait before firing. LaPierre is wearing earplugs, doesn’t hear the instructions, and pulls the trigger. The elephant drops. “Did we get him?” LaPierre asks.

The guide at first says yes, but then, as he approaches the elephant, it appears that the animal is still breathing. The guide brings LaPierre within a few strides of the elephant, which lays motionless on the ground. He tells LaPierre that another bullet is needed. “I’m going to show you where to shoot,” the guide says. “Listen, hold your rifle—I’m going to tell you when. Just hold it up.” The guide pushes the rifle’s barrel skyward as other men involved in the expedition move around in the distance. “I’m going to point for you where to shoot. Just waiting for these guys.”

The guide walks over to the elephant, crouches down, and points near the animal’s ear, telling LaPierre to shoot the elephant there. Makris directs LaPierre to shoot low, accounting for the rifle scope.

LaPierre fires and a confused expression comes over his face. Once again, he shoots the elephant in the wrong place. It’s still alive. The guide tells LaPierre to sit down and reminds him to reload, as he physically moves LaPierre into place. Now on one knee, the N.R.A. leader asks, “Same spot?” and then shoots again. The bullet misses the mark.

“I don’t think it’s quite done yet,” the guide says to Makris. “Do you want to do it for him?” The guide then says to LaPierre, “I’m not sure where you’re shooting.”

“Where are you telling me to shoot?” LaPierre responds, sounding frustrated. The guide again walks over to the elephant and points toward the ear. “Oh, O.K.,” LaPierre says. “Alright, I can shoot there.” He takes a third shot at point-blank range.

“Uh-uh,” the guide says, indicating that LaPierre has missed his mark again.

“No?” LaPierre asks.

As the guide chuckles, Makris asks, “Do you want me to do it?”

“Go ahead, finish him,” the guide says.

Makris cocks his rifle and shoots. “That’s it,” the guide declares, before turning to the N.R.A. chief to congratulate him.
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-04-27 23:45:22
April 27 2021 23:44 GMT
#63926
On April 28 2021 08:01 Mohdoo wrote:
I can't imagine the mountain of insecurity someone needs to feel comfortable shooting an animal for sport. If you eat the animal, I can accept it, but hunting for sport is truly an abomination. I can't respect someone who hunts for sport. Not even the tiniest amount.

What about if the hunting is part of an animal population control program? I personally have no desire to hunt but I can understand the value of using hunters to keep deer populations to within an acceptable band.

An alternative would be to release a bunch of angry lions into the habitat... that would also control the deer population although it might be a bit more painful for the deer.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
StasisField
Profile Joined August 2013
United States1086 Posts
April 27 2021 23:57 GMT
#63927
On April 28 2021 07:16 plasmidghost wrote:
Meanwhile here, the Texas Senate has passed a bill that would do many things like revoke the medical licenses of any doctor that treats trans kids and forcefully take trans children from their homes if their families supports them and place them in our horrendous foster system. It may not clear the House, but we have until the end of May to wait and see since that's when the legislature ends until 2023.

I cannot emphasize enough that these kids are going to be traumatized and die.

www.texastribune.org/2021/04/27/texas-senate-transgender-child-abuse/

I seriously hate politics in this fucking state. I hope the House vote fails or that they run out of time to pass it. The latter seems unlikely though. Several years back in high school, I participated in something over the summer that allowed me to meet many people involved in the Texas Senate, House, etc and one of the "open secrets" one of the representatives shared with us is that the time-keeping they do for the House floor is falsified. For example, he claimed that on, say, the last night the House would be in session they'd stay later than they were allowed to be in session and simply record each vote on a bill as taking place at 11:59 PM. If they want to force a vote on this and ruin people's lives, they'll find a way.
What do you mean Immortals can't shoot up?
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
April 28 2021 00:25 GMT
#63928
--- Nuked ---
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
April 28 2021 00:55 GMT
#63929
On April 28 2021 09:25 JimmiC wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2021 08:44 micronesia wrote:
On April 28 2021 08:01 Mohdoo wrote:
I can't imagine the mountain of insecurity someone needs to feel comfortable shooting an animal for sport. If you eat the animal, I can accept it, but hunting for sport is truly an abomination. I can't respect someone who hunts for sport. Not even the tiniest amount.

What about if the hunting is part of an animal population control program? I personally have no desire to hunt but I can understand the value of using hunters to keep deer populations to within an acceptable band.

An alternative would be to release a bunch of angry lions into the habitat... that would also control the deer population although it might be a bit more painful for the deer.

I would hope all those deers are eaten if not it is a massive waste, and then Mohdoo would be fine with it.

I eat all the deer I kill and I pay a fee for every one I tag. The hides can be donated in exchange for a pretty kickass pair of deer hide gloves.

I support sport hunting that supports directly the species being hunted. Organizations like pheasants orever do a ton of good for habitats by buying the land for the pheasants and setting them up into public trusts for all animals. My local chapter of rual Minnesota has raised more than a million dollars in 10 years.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
April 28 2021 01:00 GMT
#63930
On April 28 2021 08:44 micronesia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2021 08:01 Mohdoo wrote:
I can't imagine the mountain of insecurity someone needs to feel comfortable shooting an animal for sport. If you eat the animal, I can accept it, but hunting for sport is truly an abomination. I can't respect someone who hunts for sport. Not even the tiniest amount.

What about if the hunting is part of an animal population control program? I personally have no desire to hunt but I can understand the value of using hunters to keep deer populations to within an acceptable band.

An alternative would be to release a bunch of angry lions into the habitat... that would also control the deer population although it might be a bit more painful for the deer.

So long as there is a benefit to the environment, it’s no different than a lion hunting an animal. Humans do not need the ego trip of “Ooga booga me am strong man me kill animal”, so hunting for sport is a moral failing, whereas population control is not
Archeon
Profile Joined May 2011
3273 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-04-28 01:14:50
April 28 2021 01:11 GMT
#63931
On April 28 2021 08:57 StasisField wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2021 07:16 plasmidghost wrote:
Meanwhile here, the Texas Senate has passed a bill that would do many things like revoke the medical licenses of any doctor that treats trans kids and forcefully take trans children from their homes if their families supports them and place them in our horrendous foster system. It may not clear the House, but we have until the end of May to wait and see since that's when the legislature ends until 2023.

I cannot emphasize enough that these kids are going to be traumatized and die.

www.texastribune.org/2021/04/27/texas-senate-transgender-child-abuse/

I seriously hate politics in this fucking state. I hope the House vote fails or that they run out of time to pass it. The latter seems unlikely though. Several years back in high school, I participated in something over the summer that allowed me to meet many people involved in the Texas Senate, House, etc and one of the "open secrets" one of the representatives shared with us is that the time-keeping they do for the House floor is falsified. For example, he claimed that on, say, the last night the House would be in session they'd stay later than they were allowed to be in session and simply record each vote on a bill as taking place at 11:59 PM. If they want to force a vote on this and ruin people's lives, they'll find a way.

Honestly laws stopping trans operations on children is one of the few points where I agree with the right. Trans operations are basically irreversible and this decision is far too large for an easily influenced kid to make.

And no I don't trust parents to make the right call for their children, they are too often influenced by their own political agenda or wishes in this issue (on both sides). Let the person make their own call once they aren't a child anymore.

On a side note apparently trans people who undergo the operations still have astronomical suicide rates, so no the operation doesn't magically make them feel at home in their own body and saves their life. It might help, but it might just as well lead to a situation during or past puberty where they wish they didn't get treated.
low gravity, yes-yes!
micronesia
Profile Blog Joined July 2006
United States24803 Posts
April 28 2021 01:17 GMT
#63932
On April 28 2021 10:00 Mohdoo wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2021 08:44 micronesia wrote:
On April 28 2021 08:01 Mohdoo wrote:
I can't imagine the mountain of insecurity someone needs to feel comfortable shooting an animal for sport. If you eat the animal, I can accept it, but hunting for sport is truly an abomination. I can't respect someone who hunts for sport. Not even the tiniest amount.

What about if the hunting is part of an animal population control program? I personally have no desire to hunt but I can understand the value of using hunters to keep deer populations to within an acceptable band.

An alternative would be to release a bunch of angry lions into the habitat... that would also control the deer population although it might be a bit more painful for the deer.

So long as there is a benefit to the environment, it’s no different than a lion hunting an animal. Humans do not need the ego trip of “Ooga booga me am strong man me kill animal”, so hunting for sport is a moral failing, whereas population control is not

This gets a bit murky because a lot of the hunters in these areas are hunting for sport, but they are allowed to do so because of the population control goals of the local government. Some of the hunters cook and eat the meat, some do not. If eating the meat was somehow a requirement there may not be enough hunters to keep the deer populations in check in these areas. Perhaps you would view this as a necessary evil but not something to be proud of.
ModeratorThere are animal crackers for people and there are people crackers for animals.
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
April 28 2021 01:21 GMT
#63933
On April 28 2021 10:17 micronesia wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2021 10:00 Mohdoo wrote:
On April 28 2021 08:44 micronesia wrote:
On April 28 2021 08:01 Mohdoo wrote:
I can't imagine the mountain of insecurity someone needs to feel comfortable shooting an animal for sport. If you eat the animal, I can accept it, but hunting for sport is truly an abomination. I can't respect someone who hunts for sport. Not even the tiniest amount.

What about if the hunting is part of an animal population control program? I personally have no desire to hunt but I can understand the value of using hunters to keep deer populations to within an acceptable band.

An alternative would be to release a bunch of angry lions into the habitat... that would also control the deer population although it might be a bit more painful for the deer.

So long as there is a benefit to the environment, it’s no different than a lion hunting an animal. Humans do not need the ego trip of “Ooga booga me am strong man me kill animal”, so hunting for sport is a moral failing, whereas population control is not

This gets a bit murky because a lot of the hunters in these areas are hunting for sport, but they are allowed to do so because of the population control goals of the local government. Some of the hunters cook and eat the meat, some do not. If eating the meat was somehow a requirement there may not be enough hunters to keep the deer populations in check in these areas. Perhaps you would view this as a necessary evil but not something to be proud of.


If someone feels an internal desire to hunt for sport, they are a bad person and they have some stuff to work out in therapy. If it turns out this perversion ends up being a net positive to the environment, I'm all for it. I wouldn't invite the guy doing the hunting to thanksgiving, but I would view his contribution as a good thing.
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24377 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-04-28 01:25:40
April 28 2021 01:22 GMT
#63934
Typically people call the "strong man kill animal" hunting "trophy hunting" just for future reference. Trophy hunting and sport/conservationist hunting aren't exactly mutually exclusive (like eating a buck you also mount the head of on your wall or whatever).

Conservationist hunting doesn't always mean it's for meat either. Varmint animals aren't usually eaten but depending on one's ecological view (and the particular species) they are considered nuisance animals that have adverse impacts on other wildlife (but usually humans).
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24377 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-04-28 01:38:26
April 28 2021 01:32 GMT
#63935
On April 28 2021 10:32 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2021 10:21 Mohdoo wrote:
On April 28 2021 10:17 micronesia wrote:
On April 28 2021 10:00 Mohdoo wrote:
On April 28 2021 08:44 micronesia wrote:
On April 28 2021 08:01 Mohdoo wrote:
I can't imagine the mountain of insecurity someone needs to feel comfortable shooting an animal for sport. If you eat the animal, I can accept it, but hunting for sport is truly an abomination. I can't respect someone who hunts for sport. Not even the tiniest amount.

What about if the hunting is part of an animal population control program? I personally have no desire to hunt but I can understand the value of using hunters to keep deer populations to within an acceptable band.

An alternative would be to release a bunch of angry lions into the habitat... that would also control the deer population although it might be a bit more painful for the deer.

So long as there is a benefit to the environment, it’s no different than a lion hunting an animal. Humans do not need the ego trip of “Ooga booga me am strong man me kill animal”, so hunting for sport is a moral failing, whereas population control is not

This gets a bit murky because a lot of the hunters in these areas are hunting for sport, but they are allowed to do so because of the population control goals of the local government. Some of the hunters cook and eat the meat, some do not. If eating the meat was somehow a requirement there may not be enough hunters to keep the deer populations in check in these areas. Perhaps you would view this as a necessary evil but not something to be proud of.


If someone feels an internal desire to hunt for sport, they are a bad person and they have some stuff to work out in therapy. If it turns out this perversion ends up being a net positive to the environment, I'm all for it. I wouldn't invite the guy doing the hunting to thanksgiving, but I would view his contribution as a good thing.


Where do people that kill and slaughter meat animals for others consumption like at chicken, beef, pig farms fit into this?

Like someone who kills cows all day for work but never eats beef?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
April 28 2021 01:36 GMT
#63936
--- Nuked ---
Mohdoo
Profile Joined August 2007
United States15743 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-04-28 01:38:47
April 28 2021 01:37 GMT
#63937
On April 28 2021 10:32 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2021 10:21 Mohdoo wrote:
On April 28 2021 10:17 micronesia wrote:
On April 28 2021 10:00 Mohdoo wrote:
On April 28 2021 08:44 micronesia wrote:
On April 28 2021 08:01 Mohdoo wrote:
I can't imagine the mountain of insecurity someone needs to feel comfortable shooting an animal for sport. If you eat the animal, I can accept it, but hunting for sport is truly an abomination. I can't respect someone who hunts for sport. Not even the tiniest amount.

What about if the hunting is part of an animal population control program? I personally have no desire to hunt but I can understand the value of using hunters to keep deer populations to within an acceptable band.

An alternative would be to release a bunch of angry lions into the habitat... that would also control the deer population although it might be a bit more painful for the deer.

So long as there is a benefit to the environment, it’s no different than a lion hunting an animal. Humans do not need the ego trip of “Ooga booga me am strong man me kill animal”, so hunting for sport is a moral failing, whereas population control is not

This gets a bit murky because a lot of the hunters in these areas are hunting for sport, but they are allowed to do so because of the population control goals of the local government. Some of the hunters cook and eat the meat, some do not. If eating the meat was somehow a requirement there may not be enough hunters to keep the deer populations in check in these areas. Perhaps you would view this as a necessary evil but not something to be proud of.


If someone feels an internal desire to hunt for sport, they are a bad person and they have some stuff to work out in therapy. If it turns out this perversion ends up being a net positive to the environment, I'm all for it. I wouldn't invite the guy doing the hunting to thanksgiving, but I would view his contribution as a good thing.


Where do people that kill and slaughter meat animals for others consumption like at chicken, beef, pig farms fit into this?

Like someone who kills cows all day for work but never eats beef?


Anyone doing this work is in a social class where they pretty much get a pass in terms of what they do for money. In the case you described, it is similar to hunting and eating it. You can kind of go down a rabbit hole, similar to the military. The general gist of it being "if no one agreed to do this work, it would cease to exist", but that would never happen so long as we live in a capitalist society. So long as a lower class worker is being held under the thumb of capitalists, doing what they gotta do to feed their kids makes sense to me. In the case of the sport hunter, I am assuming it is not needed for basic survival and that they are otherwise employed. They aren't dependent on hunting, they do it for pleasure.

On April 28 2021 09:55 Sermokala wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 28 2021 09:25 JimmiC wrote:
On April 28 2021 08:44 micronesia wrote:
On April 28 2021 08:01 Mohdoo wrote:
I can't imagine the mountain of insecurity someone needs to feel comfortable shooting an animal for sport. If you eat the animal, I can accept it, but hunting for sport is truly an abomination. I can't respect someone who hunts for sport. Not even the tiniest amount.

What about if the hunting is part of an animal population control program? I personally have no desire to hunt but I can understand the value of using hunters to keep deer populations to within an acceptable band.

An alternative would be to release a bunch of angry lions into the habitat... that would also control the deer population although it might be a bit more painful for the deer.

I would hope all those deers are eaten if not it is a massive waste, and then Mohdoo would be fine with it.

I eat all the deer I kill and I pay a fee for every one I tag. The hides can be donated in exchange for a pretty kickass pair of deer hide gloves.

I support sport hunting that supports directly the species being hunted. Organizations like pheasants orever do a ton of good for habitats by buying the land for the pheasants and setting them up into public trusts for all animals. My local chapter of rual Minnesota has raised more than a million dollars in 10 years.


In my eyes, all of this money should have been raised/donated without someone demanding they kill an animal for fun first. Nothing stops people from donating to wildlife conservatories and whatnot. Its not like they won't let you donate unless you agree to also kill something.
Fleetfeet
Profile Blog Joined May 2014
Canada2836 Posts
April 28 2021 02:12 GMT
#63938
There are amusing parallels here between vegetarians being judged from the outside as being broken/stupid/whatever because the one doing the judging just doesn't understand why someone could be vegetarian, and can't relate.

The picture you're painting of sport hunters being fundamentally broken people isn't something I can get behind. I've met a few hunters, and a consistent thread through most of them is a respect for nature and consideration of the craft. Sure, it's a craft centered around killing, but that doesn't mean it is inherently evil or disrespectful. You could make an argument that the respect for nature is perverse, and I'd happily hear that argument, but I haven't seen signs that hunters are automatically bad people.
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
April 28 2021 02:18 GMT
#63939
--- Nuked ---
Sermokala
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
United States14211 Posts
April 28 2021 02:22 GMT
#63940
Yes but thats not how human nature works. Sure it would be great if people were willing to just donate all their excess cash for good causes but charities work by creating communities around things and holding events from that community. I don't hunt pheasants but I really enjoy the events they put on.

The Black Rhinos that are auctioned off to kill need to be killed for the betterment of the herd and would be killed regardless of them monetizing it or not. I'm genuinely surprised that they haven't offered rich Americans a chance to go on a patrol for paochers, I know a number of people who have specifically asked for that on facebook.
A wise man will say that he knows nothing. We're gona party like its 2752 Hail Dark Brandon
Prev 1 3195 3196 3197 3198 3199 5997 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 4h 35m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nina 132
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 2304
GuemChi 642
Leta 150
Bale 37
ajuk12(nOOB) 23
Noble 17
Icarus 10
sSak 8
Dota 2
febbydoto24
League of Legends
JimRising 633
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King168
Other Games
summit1g7675
C9.Mang0264
Happy179
Sick142
ViBE107
Trikslyr26
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick483
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream34
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Letter147
• killerbeecast3
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2204
League of Legends
• Lourlo1237
• Stunt454
Other Games
• Shiphtur520
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
4h 35m
Patches Events
9h 35m
The PondCast
1d 3h
INu's Battles
1d 4h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 15h
Replay Cast
1d 16h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.