• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:23
CEST 18:23
KST 01:23
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War645.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament Rollback Netcode in Brood War BW General Discussion TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 12984 users

US Politics Mega-thread - Page 2711

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2709 2710 2711 2712 2713 6009 Next
Now that we have a new thread, in order to ensure that this thread continues to meet TL standards and follows the proper guidelines, we will be enforcing the rules in the OP more strictly. Be sure to give them a complete and thorough read before posting!

NOTE: When providing a source, please provide a very brief summary on what it's about and what purpose it adds to the discussion. The supporting statement should clearly explain why the subject is relevant and needs to be discussed. Please follow this rule especially for tweets.

Your supporting statement should always come BEFORE you provide the source.


If you have any questions, comments, concern, or feedback regarding the USPMT, then please use this thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/website-feedback/510156-us-politics-thread
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24387 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-05 13:36:01
October 05 2020 13:31 GMT
#54201
On October 05 2020 22:19 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
I'm not an impoverished racist white guy during the invention of whiteness, I'm not falling for "well you got it better than them, you want to keep it that way, right pal...I said RIGHT?!?".

Looks like I am still not gonna get my answer.

It's not just about a selfish drive for my own pseudo-liberation at the expense of others (like bougie Black people in the US) Biff. But I've been brutalized by police, harassed, my rights violated, disenfranchised, discriminated against in hiring, etc.

But again, it isn't just about me (unlike what seems to drive your seemingly endlessly selfish perspective). It's about all the horrific atrocities it takes to maintain the privileges I do enjoy under the existing systems. I don't just forget that my tax dollars are used to murder school children in Yemen, brutalize my comrades on the streets across the US for the last months, or redistribute unimaginable amounts of wealth upward amid a depression, etc. when I enjoy the 'luxury' of hanging out on the internet.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
LegalLord
Profile Blog Joined April 2013
United States13779 Posts
October 05 2020 13:35 GMT
#54202
On October 05 2020 21:31 WombaT wrote:
One will run into serious problems the second you go to nationalise something that another powerful country has people with financial ties in, or your country has a large swathe or people who don’t buy in to the new paradigm.

Existing-power loyalists and external meddling have always played a pivotal role in all the revolutions that mattered over the past few centuries. Financial pressure is a given; they usually also send mercenaries to fight on behalf of the entrenched interests. Biggest difference is we now have nuclear weapons, which could potentially lead to an interesting dynamic. The fundamental risks behind choppy-chop are the same as they were back in 1789, though.
History will sooner or later sweep the European Union away without mercy.
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
October 05 2020 13:37 GMT
#54203
I think it's safe to say that the average minority life is better now than it was 50years ago. However the average american income didnt increase much since Reagan. If the tax evasion loopholes were closed, and that america would effectively tax the ultra riches and the likes of amazon, the second part would improve. And if you elect someone else than the white supremacist candidate, the first part would also improve.
The point is, yes doing things right will take time. But you won't have to kill or lose anyone in a violent revolution that will end up fucking you over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8201 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-05 13:45:21
October 05 2020 13:40 GMT
#54204
On October 05 2020 22:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:19 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
I'm not an impoverished racist white guy during the invention of whiteness, I'm not falling for "well you got it better than them, you want to keep it that way, right pal...I said RIGHT?!?".

Looks like I am still not gonna get my answer.

It's not just about a selfish drive for my own pseudo-liberation at the expense of others (like bougie Black people in the US) Biff. But I've been brutalized by police, harassed, my rights violated, disenfranchised, discriminated against in hiring, etc.

But again, it isn't just about me (unlike what seems to drive your seemingly endlessly selfish perspective). It's about all the horrific atrocities it takes to maintain the privileges I do enjoy under the existing systems. I don't just forget that my tax dollars are used to murder school children in Yemen, brutalize my comrades on the streets across the US for the last months, or redistribute unimaginable amounts of wealth upward amid a depression, etc. when I enjoy the 'luxury' of hanging out on the internet.



Well, you would be surprised, but I live in a bourgeois democracy that doesn't use my tax money to kill kids in Yemen and where the police doesn't massacre black people.

America has a problem with racism because too many of its people are racist. And a problem with violence because its culture is rooted in violence. It has nothing to do with bourgeois democracy and will not be solved by your leninist bs.

As for my egoism. Here is how I see it. You don't give two shits about the million people who will lose their healthcare if Trump beats Biden, or the women who won't be able to abort safely, because your sublime revolté posing and your ideological purity is more important. Isn't it more fun to be able to tell people how racist or how compromised they are when you just ignore actual people and make grand talk about the Freirian Marxist Leninist Revolution to come?

So, see, who is egoistic here is a matter of perspective. I know you see it differently. You see me as not caring about others and yourself as seeing the world as it really is. That's fine. I don't agree. Since we can both do it, let's just keep the ad hominem on a dull road, shall we? Don't call me selfish, and I will avoid doing so as well.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24387 Posts
October 05 2020 13:42 GMT
#54205
The point is, yes doing things right will take time. But you won't have to kill or lose anyone in a violent revolution that will end up fucking you over.

"time" there serves as a euphemism for countless deaths and violent conflicts around the world.
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27464 Posts
October 05 2020 13:43 GMT
#54206
On October 05 2020 22:31 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:29 WombaT wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:17 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:12 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:07 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Yeah. Strangely nobody in Norway wants a leninist dictatorship, with the end of all economic and political freedom that comes with it.

As for the argument "we want a real marxist revolution, the ones that happened in Russia, China, Cuba, Poland, Germany, Yugoslavia, Ukrain, Mongolia, Viet-Nam, North Korea, Angola, Romania, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Albania, Belarus, Czekoslovakia, East Germany, Hungary just didn't get it right" is, well, a bit naive.

When something has been tried two dozen times and everytime it's been a fucking nightmare, there is a good case to move on.

It's not the nightmare you seem to have a problem with, it's who is afflicted by it and how bad they have to be afflicted for you to think they are justified to resist with violence.

That's not really an answer.

What I want to know is what you are suffering from that is not fixable through democratic means. I know America is a fucked up country in s many ways, but I see black people living good lives, having their rights well respected and not needing "liberation" all around Europe. Not saying progress can't be made. Lots of stuff are absolutely unacceptable and there are still lots of injustices. Progress must be made, and is largely being made.

So again, tell me what is your liberation that requires a revolution to happen because it can't happen with bourgeois democracy.

When the democratic will isn’t to fix it?

So to be clear, you are gonna fix racism in America by turning it into a marxist dictatorship so that even if the majority of people is racist they can't do racist shit?

That seems a hyperbolic reading of what I’ve said in this thread.

If I was to be similarly reductive I’d say your faith in democratic procedures and decorum have given the US populace the choice of Trump or Biden, so why is that a good plan and not naive?
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
JimmiC
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Canada22817 Posts
October 05 2020 13:43 GMT
#54207
--- Nuked ---
Arghmyliver
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United States1081 Posts
October 05 2020 13:46 GMT
#54208
I dunno about a one-party state but I do know our political machine is broken and we are basically functioning without a government at this point. What we have is a nice corporation instead of a government with absolutely no motive to govern whatsoever and infinite reason to stall the process and keep themselves on the payroll.

The reason people are frustrated is that we keep being told "ok, just fix it with your vote" but then we vote for Hilary, 45 gets put in the White House. "It will take time" but we have an administration literally moving backwards while climate change gives no fucks who "believes" in it or not. I don't really care to scream truths over the din of idiocy rising from the masses. I don't want to claw back inches of ground lost to denial of reality. I'm leaving the country as soon as I can, but hopefully they figure it out.
Now witness their attempts to fly from tree to tree. Notice they do not so much fly as plummet.
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8201 Posts
October 05 2020 13:49 GMT
#54209
Well my main point is that the problem with Murica is cultural. Mentalities need to change. On racism, on violence, on nationalism.

You don't change mentalities by doing a revolution. You change a system with a revolution.

Mentalities change with education, and a lot of convincing over time. Not by replacing a liberal democracy by a dictatorship based on an ideology that has produced one monstrous system after another.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24387 Posts
October 05 2020 13:51 GMT
#54210
On October 05 2020 22:40 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:19 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
I'm not an impoverished racist white guy during the invention of whiteness, I'm not falling for "well you got it better than them, you want to keep it that way, right pal...I said RIGHT?!?".

Looks like I am still not gonna get my answer.

It's not just about a selfish drive for my own pseudo-liberation at the expense of others (like bougie Black people in the US) Biff. But I've been brutalized by police, harassed, my rights violated, disenfranchised, discriminated against in hiring, etc.

But again, it isn't just about me (unlike what seems to drive your seemingly endlessly selfish perspective). It's about all the horrific atrocities it takes to maintain the privileges I do enjoy under the existing systems. I don't just forget that my tax dollars are used to murder school children in Yemen, brutalize my comrades on the streets across the US for the last months, or redistribute unimaginable amounts of wealth upward amid a depression, etc. when I enjoy the 'luxury' of hanging out on the internet.



Well, you would be surprised, but I live in a bourgeois democracy that doesn't use my tax money to kill kids in Yemen + Show Spoiler +
and where the police doesn't massacre black people.

America has a problem with racism because too many of its people are racist. And a problem with violence because its culture is rooted in violence. It has nothing to do with bourgeois democracy and will not be solved by your leninist bs.

As for my egoism. Here is how I see it. You don't give two shits about the million people who will lose their healthcare if Trump beats Biden, or the women who won't be able to abort safely, because your sublime revolté posing and your ideological purity is more important. Isn't it more fun to be able to tell people how racist or how compromised they are when you just ignore actual people and make grand talk about the Freirian Marxist Leninist Revolution to come?

So, see, who is egoistic here is a matter of perspective. I know you see it differently. You see me as not caring about others and yourself as seeing the world as it really is. That's fine. I don't agree. Since we can both do it, let's just keep the ad hominem on a dull road, shall we? Don't call me selfish, and I will avoid doing so as well.


I don't know the finer details of how industry and government intersect in France, but last I heard your bourgeois democracy was definitely helping provide the weapons for those war crimes. Per Human Rights Watch:

Not only is it contrary to France’s international obligations to persist in selling arms to these countries despite the clear risk they may be used to commit serious violations and war crimes, the sales give an effective green light to abusers. They undermine France’s credibility in its role promoting international law and universal human rights values at a time when they face serious attacks around the world.

The French government frequently evokes its support in the fight against terrorism in the Middle East and the necessary strategic autonomy of the French arms industry to justify its arms sales to these countries. But these arguments are not tenable – neither justifies France becoming complicit in atrocities against civilian populations.


www.hrw.org
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8201 Posts
October 05 2020 13:52 GMT
#54211
On October 05 2020 22:43 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:31 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:29 WombaT wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:17 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:12 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:07 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Yeah. Strangely nobody in Norway wants a leninist dictatorship, with the end of all economic and political freedom that comes with it.

As for the argument "we want a real marxist revolution, the ones that happened in Russia, China, Cuba, Poland, Germany, Yugoslavia, Ukrain, Mongolia, Viet-Nam, North Korea, Angola, Romania, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Albania, Belarus, Czekoslovakia, East Germany, Hungary just didn't get it right" is, well, a bit naive.

When something has been tried two dozen times and everytime it's been a fucking nightmare, there is a good case to move on.

It's not the nightmare you seem to have a problem with, it's who is afflicted by it and how bad they have to be afflicted for you to think they are justified to resist with violence.

That's not really an answer.

What I want to know is what you are suffering from that is not fixable through democratic means. I know America is a fucked up country in s many ways, but I see black people living good lives, having their rights well respected and not needing "liberation" all around Europe. Not saying progress can't be made. Lots of stuff are absolutely unacceptable and there are still lots of injustices. Progress must be made, and is largely being made.

So again, tell me what is your liberation that requires a revolution to happen because it can't happen with bourgeois democracy.

When the democratic will isn’t to fix it?

So to be clear, you are gonna fix racism in America by turning it into a marxist dictatorship so that even if the majority of people is racist they can't do racist shit?

That seems a hyperbolic reading of what I’ve said in this thread.

If I was to be similarly reductive I’d say your faith in democratic procedures and decorum have given the US populace the choice of Trump or Biden, so why is that a good plan and not naive?

Well, I don't know, I think the whole discussion is hyperbolic, isn't it? We are talking Revolution, that in itself is hyperbolic.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
Jockmcplop
Profile Blog Joined February 2012
United Kingdom10011 Posts
October 05 2020 13:52 GMT
#54212
On October 05 2020 22:49 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Well my main point is that the problem with Murica is cultural. Mentalities need to change. On racism, on violence, on nationalism.

You don't change mentalities by doing a revolution. You change a system with a revolution.

Mentalities change with education, and a lot of convincing over time. Not by replacing a liberal democracy by a dictatorship based on an ideology that has produced one monstrous system after another.


So you think systemic change in the US is pointless until people change their minds, or that it will emerge naturally if people are better educated?

RIP Meatloaf <3
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8201 Posts
October 05 2020 13:52 GMT
#54213
On October 05 2020 22:51 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:40 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:19 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
I'm not an impoverished racist white guy during the invention of whiteness, I'm not falling for "well you got it better than them, you want to keep it that way, right pal...I said RIGHT?!?".

Looks like I am still not gonna get my answer.

It's not just about a selfish drive for my own pseudo-liberation at the expense of others (like bougie Black people in the US) Biff. But I've been brutalized by police, harassed, my rights violated, disenfranchised, discriminated against in hiring, etc.

But again, it isn't just about me (unlike what seems to drive your seemingly endlessly selfish perspective). It's about all the horrific atrocities it takes to maintain the privileges I do enjoy under the existing systems. I don't just forget that my tax dollars are used to murder school children in Yemen, brutalize my comrades on the streets across the US for the last months, or redistribute unimaginable amounts of wealth upward amid a depression, etc. when I enjoy the 'luxury' of hanging out on the internet.



Well, you would be surprised, but I live in a bourgeois democracy that doesn't use my tax money to kill kids in Yemen + Show Spoiler +
and where the police doesn't massacre black people.

America has a problem with racism because too many of its people are racist. And a problem with violence because its culture is rooted in violence. It has nothing to do with bourgeois democracy and will not be solved by your leninist bs.

As for my egoism. Here is how I see it. You don't give two shits about the million people who will lose their healthcare if Trump beats Biden, or the women who won't be able to abort safely, because your sublime revolté posing and your ideological purity is more important. Isn't it more fun to be able to tell people how racist or how compromised they are when you just ignore actual people and make grand talk about the Freirian Marxist Leninist Revolution to come?

So, see, who is egoistic here is a matter of perspective. I know you see it differently. You see me as not caring about others and yourself as seeing the world as it really is. That's fine. I don't agree. Since we can both do it, let's just keep the ad hominem on a dull road, shall we? Don't call me selfish, and I will avoid doing so as well.


I don't know the finer details of how industry and government intersect in France, but last I heard your bourgeois democracy was definitely helping provide the weapons for those war crimes. Per Human Rights Watch:

Show nested quote +
Not only is it contrary to France’s international obligations to persist in selling arms to these countries despite the clear risk they may be used to commit serious violations and war crimes, the sales give an effective green light to abusers. They undermine France’s credibility in its role promoting international law and universal human rights values at a time when they face serious attacks around the world.

The French government frequently evokes its support in the fight against terrorism in the Middle East and the necessary strategic autonomy of the French arms industry to justify its arms sales to these countries. But these arguments are not tenable – neither justifies France becoming complicit in atrocities against civilian populations.


www.hrw.org

Yeah I live in Norway.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
Gorsameth
Profile Joined April 2010
Netherlands22661 Posts
October 05 2020 13:52 GMT
#54214
On October 05 2020 22:43 WombaT wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:31 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:29 WombaT wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:17 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:12 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:07 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Yeah. Strangely nobody in Norway wants a leninist dictatorship, with the end of all economic and political freedom that comes with it.

As for the argument "we want a real marxist revolution, the ones that happened in Russia, China, Cuba, Poland, Germany, Yugoslavia, Ukrain, Mongolia, Viet-Nam, North Korea, Angola, Romania, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Albania, Belarus, Czekoslovakia, East Germany, Hungary just didn't get it right" is, well, a bit naive.

When something has been tried two dozen times and everytime it's been a fucking nightmare, there is a good case to move on.

It's not the nightmare you seem to have a problem with, it's who is afflicted by it and how bad they have to be afflicted for you to think they are justified to resist with violence.

That's not really an answer.

What I want to know is what you are suffering from that is not fixable through democratic means. I know America is a fucked up country in s many ways, but I see black people living good lives, having their rights well respected and not needing "liberation" all around Europe. Not saying progress can't be made. Lots of stuff are absolutely unacceptable and there are still lots of injustices. Progress must be made, and is largely being made.

So again, tell me what is your liberation that requires a revolution to happen because it can't happen with bourgeois democracy.

When the democratic will isn’t to fix it?

So to be clear, you are gonna fix racism in America by turning it into a marxist dictatorship so that even if the majority of people is racist they can't do racist shit?

That seems a hyperbolic reading of what I’ve said in this thread.

If I was to be similarly reductive I’d say your faith in democratic procedures and decorum have given the US populace the choice of Trump or Biden, so why is that a good plan and not naive?
I'd say that says more about the US populace then about democratic procedures.

In a horrible generalist way of saying it, the problem with America is that it is inhabited by Americans. A revolution won't change that.
Why isn't America more left? Because the vast majority of people aren't that far left. Why is there so much racism and violence? Because a majority of people are, apparently, ok with it.

This thread is way more left leaning then the average American, even if you ignore us Europeans.
It ignores such insignificant forces as time, entropy, and death
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8201 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-05 13:58:01
October 05 2020 13:56 GMT
#54215
On October 05 2020 22:52 Jockmcplop wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:49 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Well my main point is that the problem with Murica is cultural. Mentalities need to change. On racism, on violence, on nationalism.

You don't change mentalities by doing a revolution. You change a system with a revolution.

Mentalities change with education, and a lot of convincing over time. Not by replacing a liberal democracy by a dictatorship based on an ideology that has produced one monstrous system after another.


So you think systemic change in the US is pointless until people change their minds, or that it will emerge naturally if people are better educated?

Both. It goes hand to hand. Systemic change is certainly needed, but you need the people to desire it. I just don't believe it will be made through a Revolution and CERTAINLY not a marxist leninist one.

Those kind of changes take A LOT of time. Generations. But we get there.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24387 Posts
October 05 2020 13:57 GMT
#54216
On October 05 2020 22:52 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:51 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:40 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:19 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
I'm not an impoverished racist white guy during the invention of whiteness, I'm not falling for "well you got it better than them, you want to keep it that way, right pal...I said RIGHT?!?".

Looks like I am still not gonna get my answer.

It's not just about a selfish drive for my own pseudo-liberation at the expense of others (like bougie Black people in the US) Biff. But I've been brutalized by police, harassed, my rights violated, disenfranchised, discriminated against in hiring, etc.

But again, it isn't just about me (unlike what seems to drive your seemingly endlessly selfish perspective). It's about all the horrific atrocities it takes to maintain the privileges I do enjoy under the existing systems. I don't just forget that my tax dollars are used to murder school children in Yemen, brutalize my comrades on the streets across the US for the last months, or redistribute unimaginable amounts of wealth upward amid a depression, etc. when I enjoy the 'luxury' of hanging out on the internet.



Well, you would be surprised, but I live in a bourgeois democracy that doesn't use my tax money to kill kids in Yemen + Show Spoiler +
and where the police doesn't massacre black people.

America has a problem with racism because too many of its people are racist. And a problem with violence because its culture is rooted in violence. It has nothing to do with bourgeois democracy and will not be solved by your leninist bs.

As for my egoism. Here is how I see it. You don't give two shits about the million people who will lose their healthcare if Trump beats Biden, or the women who won't be able to abort safely, because your sublime revolté posing and your ideological purity is more important. Isn't it more fun to be able to tell people how racist or how compromised they are when you just ignore actual people and make grand talk about the Freirian Marxist Leninist Revolution to come?

So, see, who is egoistic here is a matter of perspective. I know you see it differently. You see me as not caring about others and yourself as seeing the world as it really is. That's fine. I don't agree. Since we can both do it, let's just keep the ad hominem on a dull road, shall we? Don't call me selfish, and I will avoid doing so as well.


I don't know the finer details of how industry and government intersect in France, but last I heard your bourgeois democracy was definitely helping provide the weapons for those war crimes. Per Human Rights Watch:

Not only is it contrary to France’s international obligations to persist in selling arms to these countries despite the clear risk they may be used to commit serious violations and war crimes, the sales give an effective green light to abusers. They undermine France’s credibility in its role promoting international law and universal human rights values at a time when they face serious attacks around the world.

The French government frequently evokes its support in the fight against terrorism in the Middle East and the necessary strategic autonomy of the French arms industry to justify its arms sales to these countries. But these arguments are not tenable – neither justifies France becoming complicit in atrocities against civilian populations.


www.hrw.org

Yeah I live in Norway.

For how long?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8201 Posts
October 05 2020 13:58 GMT
#54217
On October 05 2020 22:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:52 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:51 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:40 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:19 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
I'm not an impoverished racist white guy during the invention of whiteness, I'm not falling for "well you got it better than them, you want to keep it that way, right pal...I said RIGHT?!?".

Looks like I am still not gonna get my answer.

It's not just about a selfish drive for my own pseudo-liberation at the expense of others (like bougie Black people in the US) Biff. But I've been brutalized by police, harassed, my rights violated, disenfranchised, discriminated against in hiring, etc.

But again, it isn't just about me (unlike what seems to drive your seemingly endlessly selfish perspective). It's about all the horrific atrocities it takes to maintain the privileges I do enjoy under the existing systems. I don't just forget that my tax dollars are used to murder school children in Yemen, brutalize my comrades on the streets across the US for the last months, or redistribute unimaginable amounts of wealth upward amid a depression, etc. when I enjoy the 'luxury' of hanging out on the internet.



Well, you would be surprised, but I live in a bourgeois democracy that doesn't use my tax money to kill kids in Yemen + Show Spoiler +
and where the police doesn't massacre black people.

America has a problem with racism because too many of its people are racist. And a problem with violence because its culture is rooted in violence. It has nothing to do with bourgeois democracy and will not be solved by your leninist bs.

As for my egoism. Here is how I see it. You don't give two shits about the million people who will lose their healthcare if Trump beats Biden, or the women who won't be able to abort safely, because your sublime revolté posing and your ideological purity is more important. Isn't it more fun to be able to tell people how racist or how compromised they are when you just ignore actual people and make grand talk about the Freirian Marxist Leninist Revolution to come?

So, see, who is egoistic here is a matter of perspective. I know you see it differently. You see me as not caring about others and yourself as seeing the world as it really is. That's fine. I don't agree. Since we can both do it, let's just keep the ad hominem on a dull road, shall we? Don't call me selfish, and I will avoid doing so as well.


I don't know the finer details of how industry and government intersect in France, but last I heard your bourgeois democracy was definitely helping provide the weapons for those war crimes. Per Human Rights Watch:

Not only is it contrary to France’s international obligations to persist in selling arms to these countries despite the clear risk they may be used to commit serious violations and war crimes, the sales give an effective green light to abusers. They undermine France’s credibility in its role promoting international law and universal human rights values at a time when they face serious attacks around the world.

The French government frequently evokes its support in the fight against terrorism in the Middle East and the necessary strategic autonomy of the French arms industry to justify its arms sales to these countries. But these arguments are not tenable – neither justifies France becoming complicit in atrocities against civilian populations.


www.hrw.org

Yeah I live in Norway.

For how long?

Five years. Lived in Sweden before though.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
GreenHorizons
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United States24387 Posts
October 05 2020 13:59 GMT
#54218
On October 05 2020 22:58 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:52 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:51 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:40 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:19 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
I'm not an impoverished racist white guy during the invention of whiteness, I'm not falling for "well you got it better than them, you want to keep it that way, right pal...I said RIGHT?!?".

Looks like I am still not gonna get my answer.

It's not just about a selfish drive for my own pseudo-liberation at the expense of others (like bougie Black people in the US) Biff. But I've been brutalized by police, harassed, my rights violated, disenfranchised, discriminated against in hiring, etc.

But again, it isn't just about me (unlike what seems to drive your seemingly endlessly selfish perspective). It's about all the horrific atrocities it takes to maintain the privileges I do enjoy under the existing systems. I don't just forget that my tax dollars are used to murder school children in Yemen, brutalize my comrades on the streets across the US for the last months, or redistribute unimaginable amounts of wealth upward amid a depression, etc. when I enjoy the 'luxury' of hanging out on the internet.



Well, you would be surprised, but I live in a bourgeois democracy that doesn't use my tax money to kill kids in Yemen + Show Spoiler +
and where the police doesn't massacre black people.

America has a problem with racism because too many of its people are racist. And a problem with violence because its culture is rooted in violence. It has nothing to do with bourgeois democracy and will not be solved by your leninist bs.

As for my egoism. Here is how I see it. You don't give two shits about the million people who will lose their healthcare if Trump beats Biden, or the women who won't be able to abort safely, because your sublime revolté posing and your ideological purity is more important. Isn't it more fun to be able to tell people how racist or how compromised they are when you just ignore actual people and make grand talk about the Freirian Marxist Leninist Revolution to come?

So, see, who is egoistic here is a matter of perspective. I know you see it differently. You see me as not caring about others and yourself as seeing the world as it really is. That's fine. I don't agree. Since we can both do it, let's just keep the ad hominem on a dull road, shall we? Don't call me selfish, and I will avoid doing so as well.


I don't know the finer details of how industry and government intersect in France, but last I heard your bourgeois democracy was definitely helping provide the weapons for those war crimes. Per Human Rights Watch:

Not only is it contrary to France’s international obligations to persist in selling arms to these countries despite the clear risk they may be used to commit serious violations and war crimes, the sales give an effective green light to abusers. They undermine France’s credibility in its role promoting international law and universal human rights values at a time when they face serious attacks around the world.

The French government frequently evokes its support in the fight against terrorism in the Middle East and the necessary strategic autonomy of the French arms industry to justify its arms sales to these countries. But these arguments are not tenable – neither justifies France becoming complicit in atrocities against civilian populations.


www.hrw.org

Yeah I live in Norway.

For how long?

Five years. Lived in Sweden before though.

Why "France" as the location?
"People like to look at history and think 'If that was me back then, I would have...' We're living through history, and the truth is, whatever you are doing now is probably what you would have done then" "Scratch a Liberal..."
Biff The Understudy
Profile Blog Joined February 2008
France8201 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-05 14:02:09
October 05 2020 14:01 GMT
#54219
On October 05 2020 22:59 GreenHorizons wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:58 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:57 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:52 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:51 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:40 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:31 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:19 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:18 GreenHorizons wrote:
I'm not an impoverished racist white guy during the invention of whiteness, I'm not falling for "well you got it better than them, you want to keep it that way, right pal...I said RIGHT?!?".

Looks like I am still not gonna get my answer.

It's not just about a selfish drive for my own pseudo-liberation at the expense of others (like bougie Black people in the US) Biff. But I've been brutalized by police, harassed, my rights violated, disenfranchised, discriminated against in hiring, etc.

But again, it isn't just about me (unlike what seems to drive your seemingly endlessly selfish perspective). It's about all the horrific atrocities it takes to maintain the privileges I do enjoy under the existing systems. I don't just forget that my tax dollars are used to murder school children in Yemen, brutalize my comrades on the streets across the US for the last months, or redistribute unimaginable amounts of wealth upward amid a depression, etc. when I enjoy the 'luxury' of hanging out on the internet.



Well, you would be surprised, but I live in a bourgeois democracy that doesn't use my tax money to kill kids in Yemen + Show Spoiler +
and where the police doesn't massacre black people.

America has a problem with racism because too many of its people are racist. And a problem with violence because its culture is rooted in violence. It has nothing to do with bourgeois democracy and will not be solved by your leninist bs.

As for my egoism. Here is how I see it. You don't give two shits about the million people who will lose their healthcare if Trump beats Biden, or the women who won't be able to abort safely, because your sublime revolté posing and your ideological purity is more important. Isn't it more fun to be able to tell people how racist or how compromised they are when you just ignore actual people and make grand talk about the Freirian Marxist Leninist Revolution to come?

So, see, who is egoistic here is a matter of perspective. I know you see it differently. You see me as not caring about others and yourself as seeing the world as it really is. That's fine. I don't agree. Since we can both do it, let's just keep the ad hominem on a dull road, shall we? Don't call me selfish, and I will avoid doing so as well.


I don't know the finer details of how industry and government intersect in France, but last I heard your bourgeois democracy was definitely helping provide the weapons for those war crimes. Per Human Rights Watch:

Not only is it contrary to France’s international obligations to persist in selling arms to these countries despite the clear risk they may be used to commit serious violations and war crimes, the sales give an effective green light to abusers. They undermine France’s credibility in its role promoting international law and universal human rights values at a time when they face serious attacks around the world.

The French government frequently evokes its support in the fight against terrorism in the Middle East and the necessary strategic autonomy of the French arms industry to justify its arms sales to these countries. But these arguments are not tenable – neither justifies France becoming complicit in atrocities against civilian populations.


www.hrw.org

Yeah I live in Norway.

For how long?

Five years. Lived in Sweden before though.

Why "France" as the location?

Caused I lived in France when I registered on TL. Actually that's not even true, I lived in the UK, but my parents live in France and that was more my country than Britain. Never liked it there.

I have a passport too for what it's worth.
The fellow who is out to burn things up is the counterpart of the fool who thinks he can save the world. The world needs neither to be burned up nor to be saved. The world is, we are. Transients, if we buck it; here to stay if we accept it. ~H.Miller
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27464 Posts
October 05 2020 14:01 GMT
#54220
On October 05 2020 22:52 Gorsameth wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 05 2020 22:43 WombaT wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:31 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:29 WombaT wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:17 Biff The Understudy wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:12 GreenHorizons wrote:
On October 05 2020 22:07 Biff The Understudy wrote:
Yeah. Strangely nobody in Norway wants a leninist dictatorship, with the end of all economic and political freedom that comes with it.

As for the argument "we want a real marxist revolution, the ones that happened in Russia, China, Cuba, Poland, Germany, Yugoslavia, Ukrain, Mongolia, Viet-Nam, North Korea, Angola, Romania, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Albania, Belarus, Czekoslovakia, East Germany, Hungary just didn't get it right" is, well, a bit naive.

When something has been tried two dozen times and everytime it's been a fucking nightmare, there is a good case to move on.

It's not the nightmare you seem to have a problem with, it's who is afflicted by it and how bad they have to be afflicted for you to think they are justified to resist with violence.

That's not really an answer.

What I want to know is what you are suffering from that is not fixable through democratic means. I know America is a fucked up country in s many ways, but I see black people living good lives, having their rights well respected and not needing "liberation" all around Europe. Not saying progress can't be made. Lots of stuff are absolutely unacceptable and there are still lots of injustices. Progress must be made, and is largely being made.

So again, tell me what is your liberation that requires a revolution to happen because it can't happen with bourgeois democracy.

When the democratic will isn’t to fix it?

So to be clear, you are gonna fix racism in America by turning it into a marxist dictatorship so that even if the majority of people is racist they can't do racist shit?

That seems a hyperbolic reading of what I’ve said in this thread.

If I was to be similarly reductive I’d say your faith in democratic procedures and decorum have given the US populace the choice of Trump or Biden, so why is that a good plan and not naive?
I'd say that says more about the US populace then about democratic procedures.

In a horrible generalist way of saying it, the problem with America is that it is inhabited by Americans. A revolution won't change that.
Why isn't America more left? Because the vast majority of people aren't that far left. Why is there so much racism and violence? Because a majority of people are, apparently, ok with it.

This thread is way more left leaning then the average American, even if you ignore us Europeans.

Americans are just people, you pump Americans into the American system and cultural norms and you get Americans.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Prev 1 2709 2710 2711 2712 2713 6009 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Patches Events
00:00
Patch Clash S1 Special #1
RotterdaM742
TKL 338
IndyStarCraft 209
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RotterdaM 809
ByuN 321
TKL 318
Reynor 315
IndyStarCraft 209
Railgan 75
BRAT_OK 31
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 53104
Bisu 2769
Calm 2489
FanTaSy 740
Stork 581
Rush 469
hero 283
firebathero 178
actioN 125
Sharp 90
[ Show more ]
Sea.KH 60
Free 51
Mong 30
ToSsGirL 30
Pusan 27
soO 25
Rock 24
HiyA 18
Hm[arnc] 16
Terrorterran 14
Aegong 13
scan(afreeca) 11
Sacsri 9
Dota 2
Gorgc10619
Dendi1017
Counter-Strike
fl0m5318
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King68
Heroes of the Storm
MindelVK11
Other Games
singsing2000
Liquid`RaSZi1577
B2W.Neo676
Beastyqt591
Khaldor506
Mlord467
olofmeister424
KnowMe333
crisheroes171
FrodaN71
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV249
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hinosc 16
• Adnapsc2 13
• Reevou 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Airneanach47
• Azhi_Dahaki4
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV531
League of Legends
• Nemesis3305
Counter-Strike
• C_a_k_e 1539
Other Games
• Shiphtur513
Upcoming Events
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 37m
BSL Open Qualifier
2h 37m
OSC
6h 37m
Replay Cast
6h 37m
OSC
19h 37m
WardiTV Weekly
1d 18h
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
Kung Fu Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
Online Event
4 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.