• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:24
CEST 11:24
KST 18:24
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 20262Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Canadian Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9050 users

World Chess Championship 2013 - Page 7

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 98 Next
Chess discussion continues here
]343[
Profile Blog Joined May 2008
United States10328 Posts
November 05 2013 17:52 GMT
#121
Oh man, maybe Anand will finally lose!
Writer
MrRicewife
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Canada515 Posts
November 05 2013 18:40 GMT
#122
Carlsen is incredible. I remember a game where he only needed a tie to win a tournament, and eventually came to an extremely obvious tie position, but instead decided to put pressure and go for the win. Carlsen is a real artist on the board.
So? My dad can beat up your dad. - Jesus
oBlade
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
United States6552 Posts
November 05 2013 19:03 GMT
#123
On November 05 2013 22:58 Paljas wrote:
ugh, is armageddon a standard for tiebreakers?
sounds kinda... strange

I think it makes the world champion look like a donkey. Have a couple more than 12 games (15-24) maybe and just let Anand keep the title if it's tied. The challenger should have the slightest uphill battle.

On November 06 2013 02:07 urboss wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2013 02:02 Mafe wrote:
Obviously there can be a lot of different opinions about the mode in which this is played. But the same can be said about every game/sports. You have to make compromises. A duel going for weeks or maybe even months is just unrealisitic in 2013 and imho more boring. Sure it may give us a more legitimate champion.
Generally you have ask what you want to value higher: Keeping your mind in shape for a longer time or being able to perform when you now you have almost zero margin for error? Playing well against all sorts of opponents or against a single opponent with specific preparation against him?
Also I think it's generally accepted that Carlsen would win if it was decided in a round-robin tournament with some other players involved. If it wasn't for tradition, why shouldn't this also be a way to decide the world champion?
Why doesn't sc2/ti3/tennis/football/whatever adopt a king-of-the-hill-style tournament?

This doesn't mean that I disapprove of the way chess is determining its world champion. I'm just saying that any mode will be controversial.

I agree, the current mode is a good compromise.
Also, I wouldn't want to have another one of those:

World Chess Championship 1984

Half a year of playing chess between Kasparov and Karpov.
At the end the whole thing was cancelled and postponed to the following year.

But why is that bad? It's the highest possible level - wouldn't you love watching Flash and Jaedong sit down and play 48 games together?
"I read it. You know how to read, you ignorant fuck?" - Andy Dufresne
gobbledydook
Profile Joined October 2012
Australia2605 Posts
November 05 2013 19:09 GMT
#124
On November 06 2013 04:03 oBlade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 05 2013 22:58 Paljas wrote:
ugh, is armageddon a standard for tiebreakers?
sounds kinda... strange

I think it makes the world champion look like a donkey. Have a couple more than 12 games (15-24) maybe and just let Anand keep the title if it's tied. The challenger should have the slightest uphill battle.

Show nested quote +
On November 06 2013 02:07 urboss wrote:
On November 06 2013 02:02 Mafe wrote:
Obviously there can be a lot of different opinions about the mode in which this is played. But the same can be said about every game/sports. You have to make compromises. A duel going for weeks or maybe even months is just unrealisitic in 2013 and imho more boring. Sure it may give us a more legitimate champion.
Generally you have ask what you want to value higher: Keeping your mind in shape for a longer time or being able to perform when you now you have almost zero margin for error? Playing well against all sorts of opponents or against a single opponent with specific preparation against him?
Also I think it's generally accepted that Carlsen would win if it was decided in a round-robin tournament with some other players involved. If it wasn't for tradition, why shouldn't this also be a way to decide the world champion?
Why doesn't sc2/ti3/tennis/football/whatever adopt a king-of-the-hill-style tournament?

This doesn't mean that I disapprove of the way chess is determining its world champion. I'm just saying that any mode will be controversial.

I agree, the current mode is a good compromise.
Also, I wouldn't want to have another one of those:

World Chess Championship 1984

Half a year of playing chess between Kasparov and Karpov.
At the end the whole thing was cancelled and postponed to the following year.

But why is that bad? It's the highest possible level - wouldn't you love watching Flash and Jaedong sit down and play 48 games together?


most people would turn that off after 5 games or so
I am a dirty Protoss bullshit abuser
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
November 05 2013 20:25 GMT
#125
On November 05 2013 11:04 Dogfoodboy16 wrote:
Is Carlson considered to be a savant or is he just a very smart chess player?

He has an exceptionally good memory, but most of it is just hard work.
He mentioned that he always had lunch on the chessboard in his childhood.
While he talks and interacts with other people he is always going through chess positions running in the back of his head.
It's that extreme dedication paired with some solid cognitive abilities.
LaughingTulkas
Profile Joined March 2008
United States1107 Posts
November 05 2013 20:28 GMT
#126
On November 06 2013 04:03 oBlade wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 05 2013 22:58 Paljas wrote:
ugh, is armageddon a standard for tiebreakers?
sounds kinda... strange

I think it makes the world champion look like a donkey. Have a couple more than 12 games (15-24) maybe and just let Anand keep the title if it's tied. The challenger should have the slightest uphill battle.

Show nested quote +
On November 06 2013 02:07 urboss wrote:
On November 06 2013 02:02 Mafe wrote:
Obviously there can be a lot of different opinions about the mode in which this is played. But the same can be said about every game/sports. You have to make compromises. A duel going for weeks or maybe even months is just unrealisitic in 2013 and imho more boring. Sure it may give us a more legitimate champion.
Generally you have ask what you want to value higher: Keeping your mind in shape for a longer time or being able to perform when you now you have almost zero margin for error? Playing well against all sorts of opponents or against a single opponent with specific preparation against him?
Also I think it's generally accepted that Carlsen would win if it was decided in a round-robin tournament with some other players involved. If it wasn't for tradition, why shouldn't this also be a way to decide the world champion?
Why doesn't sc2/ti3/tennis/football/whatever adopt a king-of-the-hill-style tournament?

This doesn't mean that I disapprove of the way chess is determining its world champion. I'm just saying that any mode will be controversial.

I agree, the current mode is a good compromise.
Also, I wouldn't want to have another one of those:

World Chess Championship 1984

Half a year of playing chess between Kasparov and Karpov.
At the end the whole thing was cancelled and postponed to the following year.

But why is that bad? It's the highest possible level - wouldn't you love watching Flash and Jaedong sit down and play 48 games together?


Well, I too think 12 games is too few, but I think 48 may be too much. I have loved going over the Karpov-Kasparov games though, the games and the history are too good.

However in reply to the guy who said this match was only hyped because of it's length and that it wouldn't be if it was longer is dead wrong. The hype and excitement is all for Magnus. If it was 100 games there would still be this hype.
"I love noobies, they're so happy." -Chill
diggurd
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Norway346 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-05 21:00:35
November 05 2013 21:00 GMT
#127
http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=73427& can you guys watch this? good for hype :D
the interesting thing about this quote is that youll only understand whats interesting when youre done reading it. ǝɯıʇ ɹn ƃuıʇsɐʍ n ǝɹɐ ʎɥʍ
remember87
Profile Joined June 2011
Sweden144 Posts
November 05 2013 21:03 GMT
#128
On November 06 2013 05:28 LaughingTulkas wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2013 04:03 oBlade wrote:
On November 05 2013 22:58 Paljas wrote:
ugh, is armageddon a standard for tiebreakers?
sounds kinda... strange

I think it makes the world champion look like a donkey. Have a couple more than 12 games (15-24) maybe and just let Anand keep the title if it's tied. The challenger should have the slightest uphill battle.

On November 06 2013 02:07 urboss wrote:
On November 06 2013 02:02 Mafe wrote:
Obviously there can be a lot of different opinions about the mode in which this is played. But the same can be said about every game/sports. You have to make compromises. A duel going for weeks or maybe even months is just unrealisitic in 2013 and imho more boring. Sure it may give us a more legitimate champion.
Generally you have ask what you want to value higher: Keeping your mind in shape for a longer time or being able to perform when you now you have almost zero margin for error? Playing well against all sorts of opponents or against a single opponent with specific preparation against him?
Also I think it's generally accepted that Carlsen would win if it was decided in a round-robin tournament with some other players involved. If it wasn't for tradition, why shouldn't this also be a way to decide the world champion?
Why doesn't sc2/ti3/tennis/football/whatever adopt a king-of-the-hill-style tournament?

This doesn't mean that I disapprove of the way chess is determining its world champion. I'm just saying that any mode will be controversial.

I agree, the current mode is a good compromise.
Also, I wouldn't want to have another one of those:

World Chess Championship 1984

Half a year of playing chess between Kasparov and Karpov.
At the end the whole thing was cancelled and postponed to the following year.

But why is that bad? It's the highest possible level - wouldn't you love watching Flash and Jaedong sit down and play 48 games together?


Well, I too think 12 games is too few, but I think 48 may be too much. I have loved going over the Karpov-Kasparov games though, the games and the history are too good.

However in reply to the guy who said this match was only hyped because of it's length and that it wouldn't be if it was longer is dead wrong. The hype and excitement is all for Magnus. If it was 100 games there would still be this hype.

I totally agree with you. I am super excited for the games, and that is mainly because of Magnus. I am a big fan of his play and it will be fun to follow his career. I would also love to have some more games, but I think Magnus will take it before the tie-breakers anyway (even if it will not be with a huge margin).
Nyxisto
Profile Joined August 2010
Germany6287 Posts
November 05 2013 21:09 GMT
#129
On November 06 2013 06:00 diggurd wrote:
http://www.vgtv.no/#!id=73427& can you guys watch this? good for hype :D


Yep we can watch this, the documentary is quite awesome. The 'chess hustler' with the squirrel on the shoulder is pure genius :D
Arevall
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden1133 Posts
November 05 2013 21:44 GMT
#130
We already know Carlsen has a higher rating. I think 12 games is enough, make them count.
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
November 05 2013 21:45 GMT
#131
On November 06 2013 03:40 MrRicewife wrote:
Carlsen is incredible. I remember a game where he only needed a tie to win a tournament, and eventually came to an extremely obvious tie position, but instead decided to put pressure and go for the win. Carlsen is a real artist on the board.


thats pretty cool shows real style, do you know what the game was?
TranslatorBaa!
slowbacontron
Profile Joined October 2012
United States7722 Posts
November 05 2013 21:46 GMT
#132
On November 06 2013 06:45 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2013 03:40 MrRicewife wrote:
Carlsen is incredible. I remember a game where he only needed a tie to win a tournament, and eventually came to an extremely obvious tie position, but instead decided to put pressure and go for the win. Carlsen is a real artist on the board.


thats pretty cool shows real style, do you know what the game was?

Look 2 posts before MrRiceWife's, seems like he commented without checking the thread before
jjakji fan
Ettick
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States2434 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-05 21:55:28
November 05 2013 21:46 GMT
#133
http://www.businessinsider.com/garry-kasparov-previews-the-anand-carlsen-match-2013-11

A pretty good summary of the upcoming match written by Kasparov himself.

A particularly interesting excerpt:
But when I was asked at my Stanford appearance last Sunday if I thought the match would be a walkover for Carlsen, my answer was emphatically negative. Carlsen is the favorite because results and objective quality must matter, but it will not be easy and it is not difficult to imagine a scenario in which he loses the match. Anand has deep experience at every level and that carries with it practical preparation advantages as well as psychological preparedness. According to Anand, he has been working very hard for this match, harder than ever in his life.

If Kasparov says that the match won't just be a simple and easy win for Carlsen, I doubt it will be.
bennedik
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany127 Posts
November 05 2013 21:52 GMT
#134
So there are some similarities here between the upcoming Starcraft and Chess world championships:
Both are strategy games.
Both world championship finals start this week.
Both feature a Scandinavian player who narrowly qualified for the finals by tie break playing against player(s) from Asia.
And I hope both will have great games!
Carnivorous Sheep
Profile Blog Joined November 2008
Baa?21247 Posts
November 05 2013 22:03 GMT
#135
On November 06 2013 06:46 slowbacontron wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2013 06:45 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On November 06 2013 03:40 MrRicewife wrote:
Carlsen is incredible. I remember a game where he only needed a tie to win a tournament, and eventually came to an extremely obvious tie position, but instead decided to put pressure and go for the win. Carlsen is a real artist on the board.


thats pretty cool shows real style, do you know what the game was?

Look 2 posts before MrRiceWife's, seems like he commented without checking the thread before


ah silly me for not checking ty
TranslatorBaa!
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
November 05 2013 22:15 GMT
#136
On November 06 2013 07:03 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 06 2013 06:46 slowbacontron wrote:
On November 06 2013 06:45 Carnivorous Sheep wrote:
On November 06 2013 03:40 MrRicewife wrote:
Carlsen is incredible. I remember a game where he only needed a tie to win a tournament, and eventually came to an extremely obvious tie position, but instead decided to put pressure and go for the win. Carlsen is a real artist on the board.


thats pretty cool shows real style, do you know what the game was?

Look 2 posts before MrRiceWife's, seems like he commented without checking the thread before


ah silly me for not checking ty

also see my post where I linked a report of the game itself ^_^
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
KillerDucky
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States498 Posts
November 05 2013 22:47 GMT
#137
I think it's funny that in a perfect information game, a BO12 is considered short. Contrast with Starcraft2 where it's rare to go beyond BO7.
MarineKingPrime Forever!
Markwerf
Profile Joined March 2010
Netherlands3728 Posts
November 05 2013 23:14 GMT
#138
I hope Carlsen to win. I don't follow chess too much but I do agree with Carlsen's critique on the WC that it's rediculous. The defender has a huge advantage because the challenger first has to win the challenger tournament and then face off the reigning champion where an eventual tie even favors the defending champion a bit too. It's just not a fair system and Anand shouldn't have been WC this long. I hope Carlsen wins it and then resigns the WC or something like that to break it open.

That said probably anything can happen, this is so much about preparing for eachother that even though Carlsen is the better player overall Anand might win it.
biology]major
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
United States2253 Posts
November 06 2013 00:06 GMT
#139
awesome blitz match from vishy, back in the day

Question.?
Kentredenite
Profile Joined January 2011
United States220 Posts
November 06 2013 00:24 GMT
#140
Wow, and I thought Starcraft commentary was bad.

I know both the commentators are GMs, but it's like they were instructed to talk like they were speaking to eight year olds.
Prev 1 5 6 7 8 9 98 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 36m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
OGKoka 166
EnDerr 8
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13442
Hyuk 470
Soma 178
Stork 177
actioN 127
Rush 125
EffOrt 86
Mong 78
Bisu 75
Shinee 69
[ Show more ]
NotJumperer 59
Killer 58
Yoon 51
ToSsGirL 48
Bale 47
Shine 43
Noble 30
Sharp 30
Hm[arnc] 28
ajuk12(nOOB) 20
yabsab 16
Sacsri 13
HiyA 9
sorry 7
Dota 2
Gorgc2042
League of Legends
JimRising 441
Counter-Strike
olofmeister915
shoxiejesuss912
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King107
Other Games
gofns24263
summit1g7806
singsing1192
ceh9511
crisheroes148
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick701
BasetradeTV148
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream28
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 26
• StrangeGG 13
• killerbeecast1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• iopq 6
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV169
• lizZardDota2157
League of Legends
• Stunt395
Other Games
• Shiphtur721
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
36m
INu's Battles
1h 36m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
3h 36m
OSC
12h 51m
Replay Cast
13h 36m
OSC
1d 13h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.