• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:08
CEST 06:08
KST 13:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 6827 users

World Chess Championship 2013 - Page 5

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 96 97 98 Next
Chess discussion continues here
sharkie
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Austria18761 Posts
November 05 2013 09:52 GMT
#81
Do chess players even stand a chance vs chess computers nowadays?
Bacillus
Profile Joined August 2010
Finland2112 Posts
November 05 2013 10:27 GMT
#82
I haven't been following top level chess that much, but as far as I've understood, Carlsen is weaker on openings and starts to shine as the game develops past the opening phase. Does this make a difference on such carefully prepared match? Can the preparation help his early game against a specific opponent for example?
Musicus
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany23580 Posts
November 05 2013 10:35 GMT
#83
this is sick, might catch a few games, didn't know the prize money was this big
Maru and Serral are probably top 5.
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
November 05 2013 10:48 GMT
#84
On November 05 2013 19:27 Bacillus wrote:
I haven't been following top level chess that much, but as far as I've understood, Carlsen is weaker on openings and starts to shine as the game develops past the opening phase. Does this make a difference on such carefully prepared match? Can the preparation help his early game against a specific opponent for example?


Preparation is a huge part of most matches, but Carlsen can play literally anything, so I feel Anand will be focusing his preparation more on creating problems and traps with the white pieces. This is one funny situation where the older player is looking to bamboozle his opponent with complicated tactical positions, while the younger player wants to grind out a safe advantage with his superior technical skill. We're likely to see a lot of decisive games.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
disciple
Profile Blog Joined January 2008
9071 Posts
November 05 2013 11:03 GMT
#85
On November 05 2013 18:52 sharkie wrote:
Do chess players even stand a chance vs chess computers nowadays?

No.

This should be a really cool match. Probably the most anticipated match for me since Topalov vs Kramnik.
Administrator"I'm a big deal." - ixmike88
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-05 11:31:42
November 05 2013 11:11 GMT
#86
On November 05 2013 18:52 sharkie wrote:
Do chess players even stand a chance vs chess computers nowadays?

Check out this amazing game by Nakamura as a lesson on how to beat computers:
+ Show Spoiler +

YoucriedWolf
Profile Joined July 2010
Sweden1456 Posts
November 05 2013 11:14 GMT
#87
HYPE
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
November 05 2013 11:24 GMT
#88
A brilliant recent game by Carlsen:

+ Show Spoiler +


Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
deus.machinarum
Profile Joined September 2011
Austria658 Posts
November 05 2013 11:28 GMT
#89
I strongly dislike the very, very short format but still sooooo hyped for this to begin.

I mean, come on 23 yo prodigy against the guy that fought Kasparov and Karpov back in the day
Nothing worth having comes easy.
papaz
Profile Joined December 2009
Sweden4149 Posts
November 05 2013 11:30 GMT
#90
On November 05 2013 20:03 disciple wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 05 2013 18:52 sharkie wrote:
Do chess players even stand a chance vs chess computers nowadays?

No.

This should be a really cool match. Probably the most anticipated match for me since Topalov vs Kramnik.


I can't watch games where I know humans would lose to computers.

<3 Starcraft!
GolemMadness
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Canada11044 Posts
November 05 2013 11:31 GMT
#91
On November 05 2013 20:30 papaz wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 05 2013 20:03 disciple wrote:
On November 05 2013 18:52 sharkie wrote:
Do chess players even stand a chance vs chess computers nowadays?

No.

This should be a really cool match. Probably the most anticipated match for me since Topalov vs Kramnik.


I can't watch games where I know humans would lose to computers.

<3 Starcraft!


I'm sure that if the amount of time and money that's been put into chess computers were put into Starcraft AI, the Starcraft AI would be just as unstoppable.
http://na.op.gg/summoner/userName=FLABREZU
unkkz
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
Norway2196 Posts
November 05 2013 11:36 GMT
#92
The only bad thing about watching chess is that you cannot possibly have any form of remotely similar understanding of the game as the players playing. If i watch soccer i can see that "if he passes the ball to the right thats good since his mate is wide open" in chess... not so much.
pedrlz
Profile Joined September 2012
Brazil5234 Posts
November 05 2013 11:43 GMT
#93
Sorry, but probably I will sound like a whiner, I'm not a good chess player or anything.

Isn't the game losing a little of the beautiful? When I was young I used to love to review old matches because I could see the 'big plays', Nowadays the game sees so mechanical and computerized, all this draws and everything bores me. I understand that the skill level just get higher, but what I feel is just because I don't understand the game properly or do you feel like that?

Anyways, I will try to catch some games.
flashimba
Profile Joined May 2011
225 Posts
November 05 2013 11:44 GMT
#94
Anand:
undisputed world champion since 2007

Carlsen:
ranked 1 since 2011

How do you resolve these two inconsistencies?
urboss
Profile Joined September 2013
Austria1223 Posts
November 05 2013 11:50 GMT
#95
On November 05 2013 20:44 flashimba wrote:
Anand:
undisputed world champion since 2007

Carlsen:
ranked 1 since 2011

How do you resolve these two inconsistencies?

Being number 1 on the FIDE ranking and being world champion are two different things.
Just like being WCS champion and being number 1 on the grandmaster ladder in starcraft are two different things.
Grumbels
Profile Blog Joined May 2009
Netherlands7032 Posts
November 05 2013 11:53 GMT
#96
On November 05 2013 20:43 pedrlz wrote:
Sorry, but probably I will sound like a whiner, I'm not a good chess player or anything.

Isn't the game losing a little of the beautiful? When I was young I used to love to review old matches because I could see the 'big plays', Nowadays the game sees so mechanical and computerized, all this draws and everything bores me. I understand that the skill level just get higher, but what I feel is just because I don't understand the game properly or do you feel like that?

Anyways, I will try to catch some games.

The only games from the past that you are likely to investigate are selected based on aesthetic qualities. For instance, Karpov & Kasparov played so many games in the past, but most chess players only know about the one game where Kasparov used the "octopus knight" to win.
Well, now I tell you, I never seen good come o' goodness yet. Him as strikes first is my fancy; dead men don't bite; them's my views--amen, so be it.
Cel.erity
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4890 Posts
November 05 2013 11:55 GMT
#97
On November 05 2013 20:36 unkkz wrote:
The only bad thing about watching chess is that you cannot possibly have any form of remotely similar understanding of the game as the players playing. If i watch soccer i can see that "if he passes the ball to the right thats good since his mate is wide open" in chess... not so much.


This isn't entirely true. I'm only about a 1700 player, but I can understand the ideas behind most of their moves, even if I can't see all of the tactical and strategical refutations to what I might have done. I can also observe with a chess engine for some more understanding. And the commentators are there too, to explain the moves and predict what will come next.
We found Dove in a soapless place.
wingpawn
Profile Blog Joined June 2013
Poland1342 Posts
November 05 2013 12:17 GMT
#98
I agree with Cel.erity. Except for the prepared opening weirdness and some insane-level tactical complications, the GM games are failry easy to follow for club players of moderate strength. The main difference is that intermediate-level players are vastly inferior at selecting the best moves from various possibilities, so it's more like they are able to find 2-4 healthy candidates for the next move but cannot always determine which one is the most accurate (which most GMs can do). Also, there's some difference in the understanding of complicated endgames, but then, you would be surprised how often top-tier players make innacuracies in late-game, technical positions.
Taekwon
Profile Joined May 2010
United States8155 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-11-05 12:19:11
November 05 2013 12:19 GMT
#99
direct c&p from previous thread

I have very high expectations for this - everyone's saying Carlsen but I think Anand's old age won't hinder him as much as the media says. Sure he's been playing off-notch lately but I think he will be be able to pull off spectacular wins.

buuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut

+ Show Spoiler +
carlsen
▲ ▲ ▲
75
Profile Joined December 2012
Germany4057 Posts
November 05 2013 12:50 GMT
#100
120 minutes for the first 40 moves
60 minutes for next 20 moves
15 minutes + 30 seconds increment for the rest of the game
does this mean a match will last a maximum of 2x195,5 minutes?
or does 30s increment mean that for every move i do get +30 seconds?
yo twitch, as long as I can watch 480p lagfree I'm happy
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 96 97 98 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5h 52m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech133
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 16942
Rain 1426
GuemChi 617
sSak 40
Bale 23
Icarus 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm215
League of Legends
JimRising 751
Counter-Strike
Coldzera 1112
taco 417
minikerr38
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox912
Mew2King81
Other Games
summit1g7961
WinterStarcraft550
C9.Mang0173
ViBE134
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1177
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream44
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Light_VIP 25
• Letter149
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Azhi_Dahaki2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo751
• Stunt366
• Rush304
Other Games
• Scarra911
• Shiphtur789
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
5h 52m
INu's Battles
6h 52m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
8h 52m
OSC
18h 7m
Replay Cast
18h 52m
OSC
1d 18h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.