• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:41
CEST 03:41
KST 10:41
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War575.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8782 users

The Chess Thread - Page 81

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 79 80 81 82 83 131 Next
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-11-24 22:00:43
November 24 2016 21:59 GMT
#1601
Peter and Jan explained the subtlety. It was dead drawn but there was a counter intuitive move which required you to see that you needed to give up a tempo after gaining a tempo to force the draw (realising that the queen can renew threats by oscillating between f6 and f7). Both players missed it since Magnus gave him a second opportunity to make the draw after initially rejecting it.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Lachrymose
Profile Joined February 2008
Australia1928 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-11-25 00:47:06
November 25 2016 00:45 GMT
#1602
This was a beautiful attack. Karjakin's inaccuracies to make it possible were really subtle, until Rhh7.
~
Warfie
Profile Joined February 2009
Norway2849 Posts
November 25 2016 01:57 GMT
#1603
astonishing how gracefully Karjakin takes a loss. then emerges Carlsen, with the biggest grin on his face, pretty bad taste considering how he floundered about after his own loss. points for the russian in my book!
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
November 25 2016 02:02 GMT
#1604
On November 25 2016 06:59 Plexa wrote:
Peter and Jan explained the subtlety. It was dead drawn but there was a counter intuitive move which required you to see that you needed to give up a tempo after gaining a tempo to force the draw (realising that the queen can renew threats by oscillating between f6 and f7). Both players missed it since Magnus gave him a second opportunity to make the draw after initially rejecting it.
Very strange idea, super easy to miss.
Lachrymose
Profile Joined February 2008
Australia1928 Posts
November 25 2016 02:07 GMT
#1605
On November 25 2016 10:57 Warfie wrote:
astonishing how gracefully Karjakin takes a loss. then emerges Carlsen, with the biggest grin on his face, pretty bad taste considering how he floundered about after his own loss. points for the russian in my book!

The greatest champions are always sore losers.
~
sharkie
Profile Blog Joined April 2012
Austria18761 Posts
November 25 2016 06:32 GMT
#1606
Sergej was so shocked when he saw that he missed a clear draw twice in the press conference... :/
Arevall
Profile Joined February 2010
Sweden1133 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-11-25 08:14:01
November 25 2016 08:10 GMT
#1607
On November 25 2016 10:57 Warfie wrote:
astonishing how gracefully Karjakin takes a loss. then emerges Carlsen, with the biggest grin on his face, pretty bad taste considering how he floundered about after his own loss. points for the russian in my book!


First - I have to declare my clear Carlsen bias here. I'm a Carlsen fan even if I like Karjakin too. Also Karjakin does handle losing with much more grace than Carlsen. Carlsen is a sore loser.

However, it is unfair to characterize Carlsen as a bad winner. While he was very happy during the interviews and came into the press conference grinning he quickly subdued himself and was very calm and showed respect during the press conference.

I say this because, in my view, being a sore loser is okay (withing certain limits of course) while being a bad winner is bad sportmanship.


Edit: As if press conferences weren't hard enough after the game you get computer analysis thrown into your face. Nice.
TanGeng
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Sanya12364 Posts
November 26 2016 22:25 GMT
#1608
drawn again!!! 5.5-5.5 going into game 12
Moderator我们是个踏实的赞助商模式俱乐部
Lachrymose
Profile Joined February 2008
Australia1928 Posts
November 26 2016 22:26 GMT
#1609
Well, that was probably the most boring game of the match so far. Hopefully 12 will be more interesting.
~
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
November 26 2016 22:53 GMT
#1610
Today in my tournament game I managed to get this position as black.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

In my infinite wisdom I played 29... Qa1?? in time trouble thinking I win a piece and would play Kxg7 if Nf6+ or Ne7+. I missed, of course, + Show Spoiler +
Bxh6 1-0. Realizing I royally fucked up I playe Kh7 and got ready to resign. Then he took my queen.
Lachrymose
Profile Joined February 2008
Australia1928 Posts
November 26 2016 23:02 GMT
#1611
The ol' counter-blunder. What a classic.
~
Yorbon
Profile Joined December 2011
Netherlands4272 Posts
November 26 2016 23:59 GMT
#1612
Damn, I was sure it was a draw, and turned off the stream :O
*sigh*
don_kyuhote
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
3007 Posts
November 27 2016 01:39 GMT
#1613
On November 27 2016 07:53 calgar wrote:
Today in my tournament game I managed to get this position as black.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

In my infinite wisdom I played 29... Qa1?? in time trouble thinking I win a piece and would play Kxg7 if Nf6+ or Ne7+. I missed, of course, + Show Spoiler +
Bxh6 1-0. Realizing I royally fucked up I playe Kh7 and got ready to resign. Then he took my queen.

haha, so you mated him?
I would have liked to see the facial expression of both you and your opponent as you played Nf3+
For what shall it profit a man, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?
calgar
Profile Blog Joined November 2007
United States1277 Posts
November 27 2016 03:41 GMT
#1614
On November 27 2016 10:39 don_kyuhote wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 27 2016 07:53 calgar wrote:
Today in my tournament game I managed to get this position as black.
+ Show Spoiler +
[image loading]

In my infinite wisdom I played 29... Qa1?? in time trouble thinking I win a piece and would play Kxg7 if Nf6+ or Ne7+. I missed, of course, + Show Spoiler +
Bxh6 1-0. Realizing I royally fucked up I playe Kh7 and got ready to resign. Then he took my queen.

haha, so you mated him?
I would have liked to see the facial expression of both you and your opponent as you played Nf3+
I knew I had won when he touched his queen but I kept a poker face. He resigned after the initial disappointment of Nf3+. Talk about a game you don't deserve to win though
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
November 28 2016 18:46 GMT
#1615
Who's excited for the final day? I bet we see Magnus opt in to the Berlin and grind out a win.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Mafe
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany5966 Posts
November 28 2016 18:55 GMT
#1616
On November 29 2016 03:46 Plexa wrote:
Who's excited for the final day? I bet we see Magnus opt in to the Berlin and grind out a win.

I am! Only 48 more hours!

Well I wont take any chances and watch it today as well. Too bad I should get up early tomorrow, I might be one of the few who wouldnt mind a quick and boring draw.
Plexa
Profile Blog Joined October 2005
Aotearoa39261 Posts
November 28 2016 19:00 GMT
#1617
A rapid deciding day would be quite interesting, agreed. But somehow I'd prefer the score to be settled today.
Administrator~ Spirit will set you free ~
Mafe
Profile Joined February 2011
Germany5966 Posts
November 28 2016 19:21 GMT
#1618
Looks like they both want a draw as fast as possible, for my uneducated eye.
FlaShFTW
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States10569 Posts
November 28 2016 19:37 GMT
#1619
holy so fucking boring. Magnus kick his ass in rapid.
Writer#1 KT and FlaSh Fanboy || Woo Jung Ho Never Forget || Teamliquid Political Decision Desk
TL+ Member
mahrgell
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
Germany3943 Posts
November 28 2016 19:41 GMT
#1620
Why you all want it to end in rapid? I want the full 15 games on Wednesday. Including several wins, including black wins in games 13+14
Prev 1 79 80 81 82 83 131 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 8h 19m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 146
NeuroSwarm 76
FoxeR 2
StarCraft: Brood War
Leta 491
Bale 70
League of Legends
Doublelift4785
Other Games
summit1g8886
JimRising 557
ViBE213
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick647
BasetradeTV190
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 115
• Light_VIP 10
• Letter142
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• Scarra1093
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
8h 19m
Patches Events
13h 19m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 19m
BSL Open Qualifier
17h 19m
OSC
21h 19m
OSC
1d 10h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
6 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.