• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:03
CEST 01:03
KST 08:03
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)20Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 10142 users

Your 20 seconds of courage? - Page 3

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
kittyjessika
Profile Blog Joined June 2012
8 Posts
August 11 2012 09:57 GMT
#41
On August 11 2012 15:08 Wafflelisk wrote:
Every time I hit that find game button (.. only semi-joking )


Same here
Meow
Sinensis
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States2513 Posts
August 11 2012 10:05 GMT
#42
Well, it'll either make you a better person or get you killed... most likely get you killed...

I'll stick with being a coward. It's healthier.
Wrath 2.1
Profile Joined March 2011
Germany880 Posts
August 11 2012 10:05 GMT
#43
for me courage would be to do something boring, such as homework. Insanety is the average, and what I go for whenever possible.
I like adrinaline...
The tigers of wrath are wiser than the horses of instruction.
ckei
Profile Joined July 2009
Finland37 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 10:07:02
August 11 2012 10:06 GMT
#44
I think im having my 20 secs of courage rigth now. Im asking a girl out for tonigth :D
M4nkind
Profile Joined December 2011
Lithuania178 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 11:19:14
August 11 2012 11:16 GMT
#45
once I was walking with my friends at night from home to home and we were attacked by some mean guys with knives. Some of us ran away some couldn't all the situation was fucking mess it was something like 6 of us vs 8 of them. Since I am kind of leader of my friends I was checking if any of them were hurt. Running around trying to kick some ass, I didn't get hurt but I had hard time hurting them either, if my weight category is ~80kg, some of them were ~100-120kg+. And when you know they got knives you have to "calculate" your courage. In the end when I saw that almost all my friends escaped I saw that 6 of those "enemies" were kicking the crap out of my friend, luckily later I noticed he was he was cringed - elbows near head knees near his belly so he took quite minimal damage. But well about those 20seconds:

I watch them kick my friend and I think oh well f-it. I look at my shoes lases - the were loose from all the moving around. I fix my lases take a deep breath , run into those 6 and enter by flying with my foot first. I knocked one away and then others just turned their heads to me. I was like ooooohhh crap. So I ran away and others followed me, I somehow managed to jump over wooden fence (it was up to my neck - a bit high) and get a splinter in my butt. Then the police sounds came and all the bad guys dispersed.

I have some martial arts training and was in top shape back then, MA helps to stay focused and keep your head cool in situations of high stress, so I have to thank it for being fine after incident. The guy I saved was stabbed in a rib, so all in all end could have been a bit worse.




And another example of courage - some drunk girls on a bus were singing and bus was half full. After they finished I went near them and sang a song for them. I wasn't drunk, but man such actions sometimes take more take courage tbh . I even wonder wtf I was thinking. Well the songs were good from both sides.

Read my epic book, people: http://www.wattpad.com/story/23976849-the-business-of-time-travel
SKDN
Profile Joined April 2012
Sweden243 Posts
August 11 2012 11:21 GMT
#46
Masturbating in the car when parents went into the store
divito
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Canada1213 Posts
August 11 2012 11:35 GMT
#47
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.
Skype: divito7
rogenos
Profile Joined August 2011
Austria24 Posts
August 11 2012 11:39 GMT
#48
On August 11 2012 20:35 divito wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.


Yeah, dying really makes me feel good. Every. Single. Time.
"Time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted." - Bertrand Russell
nihlon
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden5581 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 11:46:23
August 11 2012 11:41 GMT
#49
On August 11 2012 20:35 divito wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.

What kind of logic is that? Following that logic you'd want and feel good about every decision you ever do. That's pretty stupid to be honest. Sometimes there's a bad decision and a bad decision. Also the definition of being selfish is not simply "feeling good," so please continue that train of thought if you will.
Banelings are too cute to blow up
Roonweld
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States144 Posts
August 11 2012 11:43 GMT
#50
My girlfriend, who is allergic to Peanuts, had a reaction, and I had to stab her with an epipen. Scariest shit ever, her life was literally in my hands.
Twitter @RoonSC
IshinShishi
Profile Joined April 2012
Japan6156 Posts
August 11 2012 11:46 GMT
#51
On August 11 2012 20:41 nihlon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 20:35 divito wrote:
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.

What kind of logic is that? Following that logic you'd want and feel good about every decision you ever do. That's pretty stupid to be honest.

Even though I have a hard time believing that it applies to sacrificing your own life, a LOT of seemingly "selfless" acts have a pretty selfish nature, as in people do stuff wanting to feel that they are better than others, that they are special and unique, etc.
So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie
TheKefka
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Croatia11752 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 11:51:34
August 11 2012 11:48 GMT
#52
On August 11 2012 20:39 rogenos wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 20:35 divito wrote:
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.


Yeah, dying really makes me feel good. Every. Single. Time.

Some people would consider that the perfect way to go,so yea,it can be out of a selfish motive.
The only real courageous deed you could perform that is 100% unselfish is something that is decided and done in a literal split second,something which your instincts and reflexes make you do,like pushing someone that is about to get hit by a car or whatever.You don't actually think about if you are putting yourself in danger,you don't think about the consequences of your act,whether you will get rewarded or not,you just do it.
Cackle™
Brotatoes23
Profile Joined September 2011
United States67 Posts
August 11 2012 11:50 GMT
#53
Yeah! Fuck, I msut've been 13 and my brothers had recently gave me a ninja sword replica, unsharpened... Fast forward a couple months and there's some dude right up the street hitting his girl and yelling at her... I grabbed that sword so fast and ran directly at him, yelling, for about 100 yards. It probably was hilarious to see, but he stopped and started walking towards me. When I got to him I unsheathed it and told him to leave her alone... The dude just took the sword out of my hands and looked like he wanted to hit me too, but luckily didnt... He was ripped, looked like he was 27. I would've been fucked for sure.

He stopped hitting and yelling at his girl in public, at least.
Humans - Knee deep in a river, still searching for water.
nihlon
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden5581 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 11:53:14
August 11 2012 11:50 GMT
#54
On August 11 2012 20:46 IshinShishi wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 20:41 nihlon wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:35 divito wrote:
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.

What kind of logic is that? Following that logic you'd want and feel good about every decision you ever do. That's pretty stupid to be honest.

Even though I have a hard time believing that it applies to sacrificing your own life, a LOT of seemingly "selfless" acts have a pretty selfish nature, as in people do stuff wanting to feel that they are better than others, that they are special and unique, etc.

I don't argue with that, but that's not really what he said either. Not every decision is made because you want it and not every decision you feel good about are selfish.
On August 11 2012 20:48 TheKefka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 20:39 rogenos wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:35 divito wrote:
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.


Yeah, dying really makes me feel good. Every. Single. Time.

Some people would consider that the perfect way to go,so yea,it can be out of a selfish motive.


Even if someone wouldn't mind getting kill while saving someone else, how does that automatically lead to it being a selfish act? You can like something without it being a selfish act.
Banelings are too cute to blow up
TheKefka
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Croatia11752 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-08-11 12:04:30
August 11 2012 11:55 GMT
#55
On August 11 2012 20:50 nihlon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 20:46 IshinShishi wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:41 nihlon wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:35 divito wrote:
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.

What kind of logic is that? Following that logic you'd want and feel good about every decision you ever do. That's pretty stupid to be honest.

Even though I have a hard time believing that it applies to sacrificing your own life, a LOT of seemingly "selfless" acts have a pretty selfish nature, as in people do stuff wanting to feel that they are better than others, that they are special and unique, etc.

I don't argue with that, but that's not really what he said either. Not every decision is made because you want it and not every decision you feel good about are selfish.
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 20:48 TheKefka wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:39 rogenos wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:35 divito wrote:
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.


Yeah, dying really makes me feel good. Every. Single. Time.

Some people would consider that the perfect way to go,so yea,it can be out of a selfish motive.


Even if someone wouldn't mind getting kill while saving someone else, how does that automatically lead to it being a selfish act? You can like something without it being a selfish act.

I didn't say every one of those cases is selfish,I just said that someone could partially do it out of personal gain of what in their mind is a perfect way to go.Selfish isn't inherently bad always,but if something that you perform benefits you in a way than it partially is selfish.
The only way you can find that out really is if you think about something to judge whether you want to do it or not,while you think about something the inevitable question will arise in your head:"What will I get from this?" "Or what will happen to me?",it's just the way the human brain is wired.As I said no one can just block these thoughts unless you do something out of impulse.
Cackle™
Cpt.beefy
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Ireland799 Posts
August 11 2012 11:58 GMT
#56
On August 11 2012 14:23 ieatkids5 wrote:
was hanging out with a girl late at night at the university commons area. we were sitting on the couch together. both of us said we needed to "study." we had our books and notebooks on our respective laps, and she randomly asks me "are you gay" (rofl i have no idea why she would ask such a thing, don't ask) I decide, alright, she's shown the signs, all the signals are there, if i do it, what do i have to lose? a few minutes of embarassment? i lean in, wrap my left arm around her back, right arm around her head, and kiss her in the lips. she kisses back. after about 20 seconds, i said, "no, i'm not gay." and we've been going out ever since.

fuck embarrassment. fuck hesitation. just go do it. and if it doesn't work, what have you lost? a potential friendship? would that friendship have even gone well? what about all the other potential friends out there? or a few minutes of embarassment? who fucking cares? if it doesn't work out, you're never gonna see her again. it was good practice anyway.



That story screams, repressed gayness.
Our Beloved Geoff "inControl" Robinson.
IshinShishi
Profile Joined April 2012
Japan6156 Posts
August 11 2012 12:00 GMT
#57
On August 11 2012 20:55 TheKefka wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 11 2012 20:50 nihlon wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:46 IshinShishi wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:41 nihlon wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:35 divito wrote:
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.

What kind of logic is that? Following that logic you'd want and feel good about every decision you ever do. That's pretty stupid to be honest.

Even though I have a hard time believing that it applies to sacrificing your own life, a LOT of seemingly "selfless" acts have a pretty selfish nature, as in people do stuff wanting to feel that they are better than others, that they are special and unique, etc.

I don't argue with that, but that's not really what he said either. Not every decision is made because you want it and not every decision you feel good about are selfish.
On August 11 2012 20:48 TheKefka wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:39 rogenos wrote:
On August 11 2012 20:35 divito wrote:
On August 11 2012 14:20 TommyP wrote:
What about sacrificing your own life so someone else can live? How is that selfish?

You wanted to do it, makes you feel good, etc... thus selfish.


Yeah, dying really makes me feel good. Every. Single. Time.

Some people would consider that the perfect way to go,so yea,it can be out of a selfish motive.


Even if someone wouldn't mind getting kill while saving someone else, how does that automatically lead to it being a selfish act? You can like something without it being a selfish act.

I didn't say every one of those cases is selfish,I just said that someone could partially do it out of personal gain of what in their mind is a perfect way to go.Selfish isn't inherently bad always,but if something that you perform benefits you in a way than it partially is selfish.

I think it has to do with the motive for the act, if consciously or sub-consciously you see something to gain from the act then it is an inherently selfish act.
So... what that make you? Good? You're not good. You just know how to hide, how to lie
Cpt.beefy
Profile Blog Joined September 2006
Ireland799 Posts
August 11 2012 12:01 GMT
#58
On August 11 2012 20:21 SKDN wrote:
Masturbating in the car when parents went into the store


Fucking LOLZ!! I broke a nut. WP sir.
Our Beloved Geoff "inControl" Robinson.
Dosey
Profile Joined September 2010
United States4505 Posts
August 11 2012 12:02 GMT
#59
On August 11 2012 18:44 AlphaWhale wrote:
Go to school. Have a geography test. Haven't studied. Answer each question like it's a cheesy sex novel knowing it will be read to the entire class either by me or the teacher (which it was).

Schools like to make you feel like shit when you're unable to do the work (dropped down the lowest maths level because I kept forgetting my calculator at home) so I flipped that shit on it's head. tl;dr I did something goofy and now everyone has a happy memory of that time in high school.

Other seconds of courage usually involve climbing shit.

That being said none if this is actually the "heroic" kind of courage like saving people from dying. Honestly I just don't surround myself with enough people facing near death to have such an opportunity.

Sounds more like cowardice than courage to me.
You didn't know the answers and couldn't stand being made to look like an idiot publicly so you purposely made fool answers to get a cheap laugh out of everyone. Definitely not courage -_-
Erasme
Profile Blog Joined February 2011
Bahamas15899 Posts
August 11 2012 12:04 GMT
#60
On August 11 2012 13:45 TheRabidDeer wrote:
I just finished watching We Bought a Zoo (pretty good movie to be honest) and this is one of the phrases that stuck with me (and likely many other people). In the movie, he says "sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage. Just literally 20 seconds of just embarassing bravery, and I promise you something great will come of it", and I was wondering if anybody has had these 20 seconds of courage in real life. Just some life changing experience that took serious balls to do.

If you have, share it. If you havent, do you think it has any merit? Hell, even if you kind of have, do you think it has any merit?

Personally, I am a wuss and haven't. However, upon hearing it I think that maybe I should try and apply it to my life.

Asking a girl out. God never been so afraid in my life :p
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7lxwFEB6FI “‘Drain the swamp’? Stupid saying, means nothing, but you guys loved it so I kept saying it.”
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 9 10 11 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 57m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ViBE165
Nina 109
Nathanias 62
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 13935
Artosis 498
White-Ra 255
ToSsGirL 30
Dota 2
monkeys_forever410
NeuroSwarm144
League of Legends
Doublelift4308
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox1167
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor1869
Liquid`Hasu1319
Trikslyr76
Other Games
summit1g7657
Grubby3475
ArmadaUGS947
shahzam570
JimRising 347
C9.Mang0293
ZombieGrub58
Mew2King50
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick200
BasetradeTV186
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream121
[ Show 16 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 54
• davetesta37
• musti20045 31
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 43
• Azhi_Dahaki24
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1070
• Scarra1000
• Shiphtur248
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
10h 57m
OSC
13h 57m
Stellar Fest
13h 57m
OSC
1d
Stellar Fest
1d 13h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.