• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:55
CEST 03:55
KST 10:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9113 users

If you're seeing this topic then another mass shooting hap…

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 889 890 891 Next
Although this thread does not function under the same strict guidelines as the USPMT, it is still a general practice on TL to provide a source with an explanation on why it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion. Failure to do so will result in a mod action.
NotSorry
Profile Blog Joined October 2002
United States6722 Posts
February 19 2012 19:06 GMT
#61
Legal or not I will always have guns to protect my family and neighbors, outlawing guns isn't going to stop the little wanna-be gang bangers around here from getting them and using them on unarmed people
We have now sunk to a depth at which restatement of the obvious is the first duty of intelligent men. - Orwell
Snotling
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany885 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 19:07:11
February 19 2012 19:06 GMT
#62
On February 20 2012 03:55 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
Furthermore, criminals have easy access to illegally obtained weaponry these days. There are so many guns on the black market these days, guns that are easily acquired by the type of men who want to do evil things to their fellow man.



Of course its easy in a country were everybody carrys a gun. You would be suprised how hard it is to get a gun in most european countrys.

The thing i dont get: Why do people want to have guns in the first place. Why are people in some country so frightened?
Is there actually more crime? Or is it the media? Or some cultural thing?

I never in my life felt the need to protect myself with a gun. why do other people?
NekoFlandre
Profile Joined March 2011
United States497 Posts
February 19 2012 19:07 GMT
#63
Honestly. Yes people should be allowed to carry weapons on them. Although I could see some rather big issues.

But, if you think about it back in the 'Wild West' how many actual murders and criminals did you have when everyone carried a gun? Crime rate was lower than it is now due to the thread of being shot.
Kitty Flandre....even more scary..
imre
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
France9263 Posts
February 19 2012 19:07 GMT
#64
On February 20 2012 04:02 Yongwang wrote:
Interesting site here showing statistics of how gun laws actually increase crime, and how less or even no gun laws decrease crime:
http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp


nice reliable website.
Zest fanboy.
Hertzy
Profile Joined September 2011
Finland355 Posts
February 19 2012 19:08 GMT
#65
On February 20 2012 04:00 Flamingo777 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:09 Rainofpain wrote:
I think about it like this: If I want to get a gun to use it for a murder or something, do I really care if I am allowed to use it or not? Gun controls make it harder for the average citizen to obtain a defensive weapon that is effective and not too hard to use/take time to learn.

Gun control is supposed to make it harder (by means of being expensive, etc) for those who want to "use it for a murder or something" to acquire guns in the first place, regardless of who is purchasing.


Unfortunately, gun control affects everyone who wants a gun equally. I know all I want to do with a pistol is shoot holes into a piece of cardboard, but I need to jump through all the hoops that the person who wants to shoot holes into the person next door would.
My dotabuff: http://dotabuff.com/players/94774350
forgottendreams
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1771 Posts
February 19 2012 19:08 GMT
#66
On February 20 2012 04:02 Yongwang wrote:
Interesting site here showing statistics of how gun laws actually increase crime, and how less or even no gun laws decrease crime:
http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp


Why do you keep posting this? Nowhere on that site does it proclaim your statement as a general rule, in fact many of the cherry picked cities and states for demonstration show a downward trend in crime well before the right to carry was instituted.
Yongwang
Profile Joined January 2012
United States196 Posts
February 19 2012 19:08 GMT
#67
On February 20 2012 04:05 OrchidThief wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:56 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:52 OrchidThief wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:51 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?


Those are all perversions of hobbies and should be banned as well. Problem solved.

Perversions of hobbies? What exactly do you mean by that? I'll admit, I've never gone hunting, but I still own several guns, I enjoy recreational target shooting, and once I'm 21 I am going to concealed carry. I've never killed anyone (not even in self-defense), I don't feel as though I'm committing some sort of "perversion." It's like the old saying, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.


That people that make a sport out of playing with instruments that has but one purpose -- killing should find themselves a different hobby, one not quite as, ehh, morally corrupt.

Guns are tools, just like anything else, they have several purposes and there's nothing wrong with having a gun-related hobby. So you want to force people who you feel are "morally corrupt," to live their lives how you want them to? Sounds a lot like those religious nutjobs who hates homosexuality and even Hitler.
Yours is the most pathetic of all the lifeforms I've crushed.
Snotling
Profile Joined August 2011
Germany885 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 19:10:44
February 19 2012 19:09 GMT
#68
On February 20 2012 04:07 NekoFlandre wrote:
Honestly. Yes people should be allowed to carry weapons on them. Although I could see some rather big issues.

But, if you think about it back in the 'Wild West' how many actual murders and criminals did you have when everyone carried a gun? Crime rate was lower than it is now due to the thread of being shot.


Non topic related: Do you have a source for this? Seems kinda hard to belive.


Vorenius
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Denmark1979 Posts
February 19 2012 19:11 GMT
#69
On February 20 2012 04:05 Yongwang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 04:01 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:56 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:52 OrchidThief wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:51 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?


Those are all perversions of hobbies and should be banned as well. Problem solved.

Perversions of hobbies? What exactly do you mean by that? I'll admit, I've never gone hunting, but I still own several guns, I enjoy recreational target shooting, and once I'm 21 I am going to concealed carry. I've never killed anyone (not even in self-defense), I don't feel as though I'm committing some sort of "perversion." It's like the old saying, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.
Like I said, if the majority of the USA thinks that it's okay to murder someone because they break into your house then people in USA will continue to have that right. Just don't act suprised when people from other countries think you are savage.

Also, you are arguing that europeans shouldn't even be allowed to post in this thread. A thread that was made by a european. See what's wrong here?

So wait are you saying it's not okay to shoot some strange man who breaks into your house in the middle of the night? Okay next time a murderer, rapist, or burglar breaks into your house and threatens your family, why don't you go make him some tea and crumpets, and hope he doesn't do anything bad. Meanwhile I'm going to defend myself, my family, and my property.

That is exactly what I am saying. People shouldn't get killed for crawling through a window. I'd have hoped that much would be obvious to anyone. Apparently not
Talin
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Montenegro10532 Posts
February 19 2012 19:12 GMT
#70
On February 20 2012 04:07 NekoFlandre wrote:
But, if you think about it back in the 'Wild West' how many actual murders and criminals did you have when everyone carried a gun? Crime rate was lower than it is now due to the thread of being shot.


So you would like to live in a society where the only (or most significant) deterrent for crime was fear of being shot, or one where everyone around you has the ability and very efficient tools to end your life by a motion of a hand/finger?

I'd personally run from that place like there's no tomorrow (because there very well might not be).
Yongwang
Profile Joined January 2012
United States196 Posts
February 19 2012 19:12 GMT
#71
On February 20 2012 04:05 Trollk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:53 Yongwang wrote:
What if someone breaks into his house? What if he's walking down the street and a gang banger or mugger starts threatening him?

If someone breaks into his house, a dog has more effect in preventing burglary and is equally as effective as a gun in defending my home.
If you are walking down the street and you are being threated by a mugger, you have a pretty high chance that the mugger has a gun too. If he does, then you would have to be a trained gunuser, who practises regularly in shooting and pulling a gun in order to have a respectable chance of winning the standoff against that mugger. It would be convenient just to hand over your wallet. It might seem 'cowardly' or 'chickenish' but dead heros don't live.

That's not true at all. I don't have a link at this time, but a few years ago there was something on the news where reporters asked a bunch of convicted burglars what they feared. They pretty much all said that what they were afraid of the most was gun owning civilians. They said that they weren't afraid of the police, dogs, or security systems. Also a dog can be killed or even bypassed with ease.

YOU and the government can't make the choice for the victim of the mugging though. If I feel as though I can put a hole in the mugger, then I'll do that. If I feel as though he has the upper hand, I'll give him my wallet. That's my choice to make, NOT yours and certainly NOT Obama's. Okay so what if it's a rapist or a serial killer? What if he wants more than just your wallet? What if he wants your life?
Yours is the most pathetic of all the lifeforms I've crushed.
DOUDOU
Profile Joined October 2011
Wales2940 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 19:24:56
February 19 2012 19:13 GMT
#72
On February 20 2012 03:55 AnachronisticAnarchy wrote:
our single greatest talent and driving force for invention and progress is, and always will be, death.


how do you guys wants to get taken seriously after writing this?

it's like you want everyone in the world to think that every american is a gun nutjob

On February 20 2012 03:53 Yongwang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:50 Bagration wrote:
You can't ban guns across a nation as diverse in the US because of different lifestyles. A guy living in Manhattan does not really need a gun, but a guy who lives in Arctic Alaska might need a gun, especially if he needs to hunt for food. There should not be one single solution for everyone.

Why wouldn't a guy living in Manhattan not need a gun? What if someone breaks into his house? What if he's walking down the street and a gang banger or mugger starts threatening him?


happened to me again tuesday night

far west fantasy again

"i leave in the fear of everyone, so i want to be prepared to every single shit that might happen"

you got life wrong

On February 20 2012 03:28 Yongwang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:26 farvacola wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:21 Romantic wrote:
Having lots of guns is not why the US has so much crime.

The US has lots of crime because it has lots of people statistically likely to commit crime.


You say that as though gun prevalence clearly plays an insignificant role in the genesis of crime, when that could not be farther from the case.

More guns = Less crime AND more open government AND more freedom
Less guns = More crime AND more authoritarian government AND less freedom


more guns = less crime: wooh, probably should back your sayings with something dude, in my records, USA is proving this wrong
Less guns = More crime: ...yeah, sure...still, i think not letting any crazy nutjob getting his hand on something designed to kill might help reducing crimes
Less guns = less freedom: oh please, didn't you forbid your kids to run with scissors? well americans are the kids, scissors are weapons, and europeans are your wise parents

On February 20 2012 04:12 Yongwang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 04:05 Trollk wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:53 Yongwang wrote:
What if someone breaks into his house? What if he's walking down the street and a gang banger or mugger starts threatening him?

If someone breaks into his house, a dog has more effect in preventing burglary and is equally as effective as a gun in defending my home.
If you are walking down the street and you are being threated by a mugger, you have a pretty high chance that the mugger has a gun too. If he does, then you would have to be a trained gunuser, who practises regularly in shooting and pulling a gun in order to have a respectable chance of winning the standoff against that mugger. It would be convenient just to hand over your wallet. It might seem 'cowardly' or 'chickenish' but dead heros don't live.

That's not true at all. I don't have a link at this time, but a few years ago there was something on the news where reporters asked a bunch of convicted burglars what they feared. They pretty much all said that what they were afraid of the most was gun owning civilians.


yes, you are right, burglars are more scared of gun nutjobs than dogs, and so am i

thing is, in europe, we also have burglars, you know, but few of them really carry firearms, because they know they have fewer chances the house they break into is guarded with someone with a gun in the first place

that's why there's just less people killed by firearms here

and for the record, burglars usually are just afraid of people/being noticed, and target empty houses

when a burglar entered my house (years ago), i was there (2nd floor), at first i thought it was my brother coming back home from party at 4am, but the guy just was yelling in the house asking if anybody was home
he ran away when he heard me walking down the stairs
he had a gigantic crowbar (used it to open the door), could have crushed my head, he just ran away
Feast | Grubby | Mvp | Polt | Fantasy | Last | MMA | forGG | Leenock | Soberphano | Scarlett cutiepie
echO [W]
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1495 Posts
February 19 2012 19:13 GMT
#73
On February 20 2012 04:05 OrchidThief wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:56 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:52 OrchidThief wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:51 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?


Those are all perversions of hobbies and should be banned as well. Problem solved.

Perversions of hobbies? What exactly do you mean by that? I'll admit, I've never gone hunting, but I still own several guns, I enjoy recreational target shooting, and once I'm 21 I am going to concealed carry. I've never killed anyone (not even in self-defense), I don't feel as though I'm committing some sort of "perversion." It's like the old saying, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.


That people that make a sport out of playing with instruments that has but one purpose -- killing should find themselves a different hobby, one not quite as, ehh, morally corrupt.

What about Archery/Crossbows, and people who practice Shinkendo (the art of Samurai swordsmanship) and Tameshigiri (cutting with real Katanas, usually throw straw mats).

Calling a person interested in shooting a bow and arrow (it was used to kill in wars in times past) for target practice, competition (Olympics) is "morally corrupt?"
"Or a school bus over a bunch of kids" - Tasteless --- “A man's errors are his portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
JayJay_90
Profile Joined October 2010
Germany1632 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 19:16:04
February 19 2012 19:13 GMT
#74
Sadly this thread is utterly pointless. It's just an NA vs. EU debate. 80-90% of people from the U.S. are gonna be pro guns and 80-90% of the Europeans will be against it. And since the posted statistics don't seem to change anyone's mind there's only the option of agreeing to disagree (and no this does not mean that both positions are equally valid). Just like with religion...
Talin
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
Montenegro10532 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 19:14:38
February 19 2012 19:14 GMT
#75
On February 20 2012 04:12 Yongwang wrote:
Okay so what if it's a rapist or a serial killer? What if he wants more than just your wallet? What if he wants your life?


What if he has a GUN on top of that?

That would certainly make things a lot more scary than his intentions alone.
Yongwang
Profile Joined January 2012
United States196 Posts
February 19 2012 19:15 GMT
#76
On February 20 2012 04:14 Talin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 04:12 Yongwang wrote:
Okay so what if it's a rapist or a serial killer? What if he wants more than just your wallet? What if he wants your life?


What if he has a GUN on top of that?

That would certainly make things a lot more scary than his intentions alone.

What if he does? What if he has a knife? What if he has a hand grenade? It doesn't matter what he is using, what matters is the scenario.
Yours is the most pathetic of all the lifeforms I've crushed.
sirachman
Profile Joined April 2011
United States270 Posts
February 19 2012 19:16 GMT
#77
If you don't have weapons and the government does, you have a problem.

Also, police do not prevent crime, they deal with the aftermath.

The only thing that prevents crime is you.
The only way you can prevent violent crime is being able to defend yourself.
The only way you can protect yourself and others against assailants with guns is having your own.
You cannot prevent criminals from obtaining guns, only law abiding citizens.
OrchidThief
Profile Joined April 2011
Denmark2298 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 19:23:21
February 19 2012 19:16 GMT
#78
On February 20 2012 04:08 Yongwang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 04:05 OrchidThief wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:56 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:52 OrchidThief wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:51 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?


Those are all perversions of hobbies and should be banned as well. Problem solved.

Perversions of hobbies? What exactly do you mean by that? I'll admit, I've never gone hunting, but I still own several guns, I enjoy recreational target shooting, and once I'm 21 I am going to concealed carry. I've never killed anyone (not even in self-defense), I don't feel as though I'm committing some sort of "perversion." It's like the old saying, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.


That people that make a sport out of playing with instruments that has but one purpose -- killing should find themselves a different hobby, one not quite as, ehh, morally corrupt.

Guns are tools, just like anything else, they have several purposes and there's nothing wrong with having a gun-related hobby. So you want to force people who you feel are "morally corrupt," to live their lives how you want them to? Sounds a lot like those religious nutjobs who hates homosexuality and even Hitler.


No I want people to not have stupid hobbies. If someone's hobby was to drive through kindergartens at 150km /hour I'd have a problem with that, or if their hobby was making dynamite. Gun related hobbies, to me, are literally "in the case that I had to kill another living being, let's try and measure how good I'd be at it".

On February 20 2012 04:13 echO [W] wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 04:05 OrchidThief wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:56 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:52 OrchidThief wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:51 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?


Those are all perversions of hobbies and should be banned as well. Problem solved.

Perversions of hobbies? What exactly do you mean by that? I'll admit, I've never gone hunting, but I still own several guns, I enjoy recreational target shooting, and once I'm 21 I am going to concealed carry. I've never killed anyone (not even in self-defense), I don't feel as though I'm committing some sort of "perversion." It's like the old saying, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.


That people that make a sport out of playing with instruments that has but one purpose -- killing should find themselves a different hobby, one not quite as, ehh, morally corrupt.

What about Archery/Crossbows, and people who practice Shinkendo (the art of Samurai swordsmanship) and Tameshigiri (cutting with real Katanas, usually throw straw mats).

Calling a person interested in shooting a bow and arrow (it was used to kill in wars in times past) for target practice, competition (Olympics) is "morally corrupt?"


Hey, it's not black and white, I'm not trying to argue that it is. But the destructive ability of gunpowder weapons is just a billion grades above archery or crossbows. They are sports per nostalgia so to speak, rather than cutting edge technology. They aren't "tools for killing" anymore as much as they are "historical artifacts". Though honestly, I'm not big on those being sports either.
Yongwang
Profile Joined January 2012
United States196 Posts
February 19 2012 19:16 GMT
#79
On February 20 2012 04:16 sirachman wrote:
If you don't have weapons and the government does, you have a problem.

Also, police do not prevent crime, they deal with the aftermath.

The only thing that prevents crime is you.
The only way you can prevent violent crime is being able to defend yourself.
The only way you can protect yourself and others against assailants with guns is having your own.
You cannot prevent criminals from obtaining guns, only law abiding citizens.

This times one thousand.
Yours is the most pathetic of all the lifeforms I've crushed.
Vorenius
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Denmark1979 Posts
February 19 2012 19:17 GMT
#80
On February 20 2012 04:14 Talin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 04:12 Yongwang wrote:
Okay so what if it's a rapist or a serial killer? What if he wants more than just your wallet? What if he wants your life?


What if he has a GUN on top of that?

That would certainly make things a lot more scary than his intentions alone.

Man have you not seen ANY action movies?!

You just do a barrel roll then jump throught he air while firing your double uzis. Now the bad guys will have guns as well, but they are alwasy courtous enough to never hit anything (or at most a should or a leg.)
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 889 890 891 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft465
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta25
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft465
WinterStarcraft282
RuFF_SC2 131
PiLiPiLi 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1067
White-Ra 152
Hyuk 60
Noble 52
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm169
LuMiX2
League of Legends
Doublelift4818
Counter-Strike
taco 565
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox631
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor687
Other Games
summit1g7763
Coldzera 874
C9.Mang0279
ViBE59
ArmadaUGS44
Mew2King37
Liquid`Ken9
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick652
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream75
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 86
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21339
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
8h 5m
Online Event
9h 5m
FEL
14h 5m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 5m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 5m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 10h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.