• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 21:55
CEST 03:55
KST 10:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup3StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)64Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Awesome/Confusing SC2 BM SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released an AI researcher's take on the ladder bot JaeDong's ASL S22 Ro. 8 Review Bot on ladder Data analysis on 8 million games
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9113 users

If you're seeing this topic then another mass shooting hap…

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 889 890 891 Next
Although this thread does not function under the same strict guidelines as the USPMT, it is still a general practice on TL to provide a source with an explanation on why it is relevant and what purpose it adds to the discussion. Failure to do so will result in a mod action.
Befree
Profile Joined April 2010
695 Posts
February 19 2012 18:47 GMT
#41
(My post is meant to be in the context of the U.S.)

Well something to note is that most deaths from guns are not by some psychopathic murder, or for some crazed gunman robbing an innocent business. The majority of deaths related to guns are suicides. And another large portion are shots being fired purely accidentally.

I think sometimes we can get this idea that the people who kill someone with a gun are all very determined to do so, and that because of this, they would get a gun regardless of any limitations put on them. But that is really not the case. And when it is the case, it is generally a situation where both sides have access to guns anyways (drug/gang related murders).

Personally, I can't see how we could expect more safety by lessening gun control. Suddenly the average citizen is going to rise up as some heroic figure who will stop all crimes committed against them? I don't see how that is likely. You're just setting people up for a situation where they are far more likely to get themselves killed, or kill someone else.

I just can't imagine that gun-related murders against innocent people unrelated to drugs/gangs/etc is going to go down with loose gun control, or that it would go up with greater gun control. I just can't follow the logic of it. When you look at cases of innocent people dying, there's no way you could believe that in the vast majority of these situations, it wouldn't have happened because of loose gun laws. But I think if you look at these cases, you will indeed find that many many of these would have never happened if guns were not so accessible.

I think it is just delusional, and irrational to think greater safety for citizens lies in looser gun controls. I think you have a false idea of what the world is like, a lack of knowledge of statistics on gun murders, and have not fully thought-out the situation in your own mind.
Yongwang
Profile Joined January 2012
United States196 Posts
February 19 2012 18:48 GMT
#42
On February 20 2012 03:46 Trollk wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:41 Yongwang wrote:
Why are Europeans even bothering to post in this thread?

Because it is an international forum that holds a significant amount of its members outside the USA...?

That's fine, but they're trying to tell people in other countries how to run their countries and how to live their lives, and that's crossing the line.
Yours is the most pathetic of all the lifeforms I've crushed.
echO [W]
Profile Joined July 2010
United States1495 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 18:51:45
February 19 2012 18:50 GMT
#43
On February 20 2012 03:48 Yongwang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:46 Trollk wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:41 Yongwang wrote:
Why are Europeans even bothering to post in this thread?

Because it is an international forum that holds a significant amount of its members outside the USA...?

That's fine, but they're trying to tell people in other countries how to run their countries and how to live their lives, and that's crossing the line.

People have been doing that since the dawn of time. Whether it was clans, tribes, or countries.

The thread's question was also, should people be allowed to own guns. Not whether people in the United States should be allowed to own guns.
"Or a school bus over a bunch of kids" - Tasteless --- “A man's errors are his portals of discovery.” - James Joyce
Bagration
Profile Blog Joined October 2011
United States18282 Posts
February 19 2012 18:50 GMT
#44
You can't ban guns across a nation as diverse in the US because of different lifestyles. A guy living in Manhattan does not really need a gun, but a guy who lives in Arctic Alaska might need a gun, especially if he needs to hunt for food. There should not be one single solution for everyone.
Team Slayers, Axiom-Acer and Vile forever
Yongwang
Profile Joined January 2012
United States196 Posts
February 19 2012 18:51 GMT
#45
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?
Yours is the most pathetic of all the lifeforms I've crushed.
OrchidThief
Profile Joined April 2011
Denmark2298 Posts
February 19 2012 18:52 GMT
#46
On February 20 2012 03:51 Yongwang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?


Those are all perversions of hobbies and should be banned as well. Problem solved.
Yongwang
Profile Joined January 2012
United States196 Posts
February 19 2012 18:53 GMT
#47
On February 20 2012 03:50 Bagration wrote:
You can't ban guns across a nation as diverse in the US because of different lifestyles. A guy living in Manhattan does not really need a gun, but a guy who lives in Arctic Alaska might need a gun, especially if he needs to hunt for food. There should not be one single solution for everyone.

Why wouldn't a guy living in Manhattan not need a gun? What if someone breaks into his house? What if he's walking down the street and a gang banger or mugger starts threatening him?
Yours is the most pathetic of all the lifeforms I've crushed.
AnachronisticAnarchy
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
United States2957 Posts
February 19 2012 18:55 GMT
#48
We have always killed each other. Whether it be with bone or rock or steel or machine, our single greatest talent and driving force for invention and progress is, and always will be, death.
Guns don't kill people. We, in all our flawed glory, do. When you have a gun, are you suddenly mentally capable of killing people? Do you suddenly feel like going on a crime spree? Do you want to go out there on the streets and hurt and slay and rob and burn? No, you do not. Guns are merely tools in the hands of men. Tools are, by themselves, harmless. The only thing that makes a tool do anything is its user.
Furthermore, criminals have easy access to illegally obtained weaponry these days. There are so many guns on the black market these days, guns that are easily acquired by the type of men who want to do evil things to their fellow man.
Cops nearly always take minutes to respond to a call, and when a violent criminal, much less one wielding an illegally obtained gun, is involved, the situation is a war of seconds. Emotions are running high. Parties involved are fighting stress, fear and adrenaline to at least think rationally. All it takes is one errant twitch of a finger, and in microseconds, a life will be erased from this world, forever. Cops are inneffective at dealing with situations like those. If the criminal isn't drunk, you wouldn't even be able to call 911 anyways.
We should be able to carry semi-automatic weapons legally after processes like psych evaluations and background checks. We should not be able to carry automatic weapons or weapons modified to have things like extended clips because those are needed for killing, not self defense. We deserve the right to defend ourselves from those who would do us and others close to us harm. We, who obtain our guns and licenses legally, who have friends and family, who have mouths to feed and people to take care of, deserve the right to live.
"How are you?" "I am fine, because it is not normal to scream in pain."
Yongwang
Profile Joined January 2012
United States196 Posts
February 19 2012 18:56 GMT
#49
On February 20 2012 03:52 OrchidThief wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:51 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?


Those are all perversions of hobbies and should be banned as well. Problem solved.

Perversions of hobbies? What exactly do you mean by that? I'll admit, I've never gone hunting, but I still own several guns, I enjoy recreational target shooting, and once I'm 21 I am going to concealed carry. I've never killed anyone (not even in self-defense), I don't feel as though I'm committing some sort of "perversion." It's like the old saying, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.
Yours is the most pathetic of all the lifeforms I've crushed.
Hertzy
Profile Joined September 2011
Finland355 Posts
February 19 2012 19:00 GMT
#50
I recall hearing about a study that found that income disparity is a better predictor of violent crime in the US than gun prevalence. While digging around for it, I found another interesting study;

Hemenway et al, "Firearm Prevalence and Social Capital" found that guns are more common in areas where there's low levels of social capital, that is people's trust in one another. Interestingly, they also used homicides and suicides with firearms as a measure of gun ownership.

Kennedy et al, "Social capital, income inequality, and firearm violent crime" is probably the study I heard about. They found that "The profound effects of income inequality and social capital, when controlling for other factors such as poverty and firearm availability, on firearm violent crime indicate that policies that address these broader, macro-social forces warrant serious consideration."
My dotabuff: http://dotabuff.com/players/94774350
Flamingo777
Profile Joined October 2010
United States1190 Posts
February 19 2012 19:00 GMT
#51
On February 20 2012 03:09 Rainofpain wrote:
I think about it like this: If I want to get a gun to use it for a murder or something, do I really care if I am allowed to use it or not? Gun controls make it harder for the average citizen to obtain a defensive weapon that is effective and not too hard to use/take time to learn.

Gun control is supposed to make it harder (by means of being expensive, etc) for those who want to "use it for a murder or something" to acquire guns in the first place, regardless of who is purchasing.
4Servy
Profile Joined August 2008
Netherlands1542 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-02-19 19:05:12
February 19 2012 19:01 GMT
#52
On February 20 2012 03:48 Yongwang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:46 Trollk wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:41 Yongwang wrote:
Why are Europeans even bothering to post in this thread?

Because it is an international forum that holds a significant amount of its members outside the USA...?

That's fine, but they're trying to tell people in other countries how to run their countries and how to live their lives, and that's crossing the line.

rofl irony much


As for topic im highly against gun for personal use, I cant find a single arguement why it should be allowed. Given US crime rates which is not only because of the fact that everyone has a gun obviously but it sure as hell takes part in it and makes the consequences alot worse.
BlackPaladin
Profile Joined May 2010
United States9316 Posts
February 19 2012 19:01 GMT
#53
One of the big reasons American founding fathers put the second amendment in as the SECOND, as in, one of the more important laws, was because of their background. They were, in their belief, "oppressed" by the English government, and felt that without guns you cannot stand up against your government if they ever tried to oppress you and your freedoms. So they made sure that if ever it happened in the future with the new government they were installing, that the people had the right, always, to stand against the government like they did, as for it to never encroach on your freedoms.

For other countries, you didn't have founders like that - so for you, it's different. You can debate if it's needed for your countries to control crimes, murder, suicide, etc. But for America, it's different. Our second amendment isn't only about that. It's about protecting our rights as citizens from the government. It's our right. The Bill of Rights are meant to NEVER be taken away from us, or encroached upon. They're there for a reason.
"Your full potential does not matter if you do not use all 100% of it."
Vorenius
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Denmark1979 Posts
February 19 2012 19:01 GMT
#54
On February 20 2012 03:56 Yongwang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:52 OrchidThief wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:51 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?


Those are all perversions of hobbies and should be banned as well. Problem solved.

Perversions of hobbies? What exactly do you mean by that? I'll admit, I've never gone hunting, but I still own several guns, I enjoy recreational target shooting, and once I'm 21 I am going to concealed carry. I've never killed anyone (not even in self-defense), I don't feel as though I'm committing some sort of "perversion." It's like the old saying, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.
Like I said, if the majority of the USA thinks that it's okay to murder someone because they break into your house then people in USA will continue to have that right. Just don't act suprised when people from other countries think you are savage.

Also, you are arguing that europeans shouldn't even be allowed to post in this thread. A thread that was made by a european. See what's wrong here?
Yongwang
Profile Joined January 2012
United States196 Posts
February 19 2012 19:02 GMT
#55
Interesting site here showing statistics of how gun laws actually increase crime, and how less or even no gun laws decrease crime:
http://www.justfacts.com/guncontrol.asp
Yours is the most pathetic of all the lifeforms I've crushed.
CrtBalorda
Profile Joined December 2011
Slovenia704 Posts
February 19 2012 19:03 GMT
#56
Simple, do guns protect more people or cause more crime.

If they protect more people the yes, if not no.

My 2 cents.
4th August 2012...Never forget.....
Kira__
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden2672 Posts
February 19 2012 19:03 GMT
#57
On February 20 2012 04:01 4Servy wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:48 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:46 Trollk wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:41 Yongwang wrote:
Why are Europeans even bothering to post in this thread?

Because it is an international forum that holds a significant amount of its members outside the USA...?

That's fine, but they're trying to tell people in other countries how to run their countries and how to live their lives, and that's crossing the line.

rofl irony much


hahaha oh dear, I was thinking the same :DDD
The truth is, Yagami-kun, I suspect that you may in fact be Kira.
Yongwang
Profile Joined January 2012
United States196 Posts
February 19 2012 19:05 GMT
#58
On February 20 2012 04:01 Vorenius wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:56 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:52 OrchidThief wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:51 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?


Those are all perversions of hobbies and should be banned as well. Problem solved.

Perversions of hobbies? What exactly do you mean by that? I'll admit, I've never gone hunting, but I still own several guns, I enjoy recreational target shooting, and once I'm 21 I am going to concealed carry. I've never killed anyone (not even in self-defense), I don't feel as though I'm committing some sort of "perversion." It's like the old saying, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.
Like I said, if the majority of the USA thinks that it's okay to murder someone because they break into your house then people in USA will continue to have that right. Just don't act suprised when people from other countries think you are savage.

Also, you are arguing that europeans shouldn't even be allowed to post in this thread. A thread that was made by a european. See what's wrong here?

So wait are you saying it's not okay to shoot some strange man who breaks into your house in the middle of the night? Okay next time a murderer, rapist, or burglar breaks into your house and threatens your family, why don't you go make him some tea and crumpets, and hope he doesn't do anything bad. Meanwhile I'm going to defend myself, my family, and my property.
Yours is the most pathetic of all the lifeforms I've crushed.
OrchidThief
Profile Joined April 2011
Denmark2298 Posts
February 19 2012 19:05 GMT
#59
On February 20 2012 03:56 Yongwang wrote:
Show nested quote +
On February 20 2012 03:52 OrchidThief wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:51 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:40 Vorenius wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:24 Yongwang wrote:
On February 20 2012 03:15 Maitolasi wrote:
My opinion is that all automatic weapons and pistols should be illegal and only guns that are mainly used for hunting should be allowed.

Automatic weapons I could understand, but there's still a much stronger argument for supporting the right to own a machine gun than there is against the right. However, why in the world would you want to ban pistols? I assume in your ideal world rifles and shotguns would be extremely regulated to the point where they were impossible to own as well?

Hunting rifles are for shooting animals.
Hand guns or automatic weapons are used only to kill humans and nothing else.

If you are buying a hand gun and don't meant to shoot another human being then you shouldn't buy it in the first place.
If you buy a hand gun and do mean to shoot another human being you should be kept far away from weapons of any kind.

This is my opinion of course. If more than 50% of the population of a given country thinks hand guns are cool they are free to use their democratic power and elect people who will give them that right. It still doesn't make it a good idea of course, but people are free to do what they want with themselfs. In the meant time I'm just happy I live in the part of the civilized world that is actually civilized.

A hunting rifle can kill a person just as well as a pistol or an assault rifle. Also there are a thousand things you can do other than "commit crimes" with pistols and even assault rifles. Your entire argument falls apart at the seams, since following that logic nobody should be allowed to defend themselves. What about target shooting? Gun collecting? And sports/competitive shooting?


Those are all perversions of hobbies and should be banned as well. Problem solved.

Perversions of hobbies? What exactly do you mean by that? I'll admit, I've never gone hunting, but I still own several guns, I enjoy recreational target shooting, and once I'm 21 I am going to concealed carry. I've never killed anyone (not even in self-defense), I don't feel as though I'm committing some sort of "perversion." It's like the old saying, I'd rather have one and not need it, than need one and not have it.


That people that make a sport out of playing with instruments that has but one purpose -- killing should find themselves a different hobby, one not quite as, ehh, morally corrupt.
Trollk
Profile Joined September 2011
Belgium93 Posts
February 19 2012 19:05 GMT
#60
On February 20 2012 03:53 Yongwang wrote:
What if someone breaks into his house? What if he's walking down the street and a gang banger or mugger starts threatening him?

If someone breaks into his house, a dog has more effect in preventing burglary and is equally as effective as a gun in defending my home.
If you are walking down the street and you are being threated by a mugger, you have a pretty high chance that the mugger has a gun too. If he does, then you would have to be a trained gunuser, who practises regularly in shooting and pulling a gun in order to have a respectable chance of winning the standoff against that mugger. It would be convenient just to hand over your wallet. It might seem 'cowardly' or 'chickenish' but dead heros don't live.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 889 890 891 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
The PiG Daily
08:00
Best Games of SC
BASILISK vs T1
Maru vs Clem
Serral vs herO
Clem vs SHIN
PiGStarcraft465
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
07:00
Masters Cup #151: Group B
davetesta25
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
PiGStarcraft465
WinterStarcraft282
RuFF_SC2 131
PiLiPiLi 17
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 1067
White-Ra 152
Hyuk 60
Noble 52
Bale 14
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm169
LuMiX2
League of Legends
Doublelift4818
Counter-Strike
taco 565
minikerr16
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox631
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor687
Other Games
summit1g7763
Coldzera 874
C9.Mang0279
ViBE59
ArmadaUGS44
Mew2King37
Liquid`Ken9
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick652
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream75
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 86
• Letter147
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota21339
Upcoming Events
CranKy Ducklings
8h 5m
Online Event
9h 5m
FEL
14h 5m
AI Arena Tournament
15h 5m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
17h 5m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 8h
INu's Battles
1d 10h
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 17h
Replay Cast
1d 22h
[ Show More ]
Afreeca Starleague
2 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
Monday Night Weeklies
2 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
3 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
3 days
The PondCast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-02
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.