• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:32
CEST 01:32
KST 08:32
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8687 users

Gamer and Mariage

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Datz2Ez
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada76 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-30 14:50:31
September 29 2011 16:51 GMT
#1
Hi TeamLiquid community!

This is my first post. I have spend the last year being an active reader but now I have this special event wich makes me want to have people share opinions and their personal experience to the profit of others.

First, I would like to say that I really want to follow TL 10 commandements and regarding this post I hope I am not breaking this rule:

+ Show Spoiler +
8. THOU SHALL CONTRIBUTE TO THE SITE

Contribute to the site. Everyone should pitch in. Some people contribute by being helpful when someone posts a question. Some people contribute by writing interesting posts that stimulate discussion or by uploading relevant and useful facts and information. Some people contribute by posting news from the gaming world. Others contribute by participating in a meaningful way every single day. Still others contribute by simply making everyone laugh. Contribution can take many forms and there's no single prescribed way to go about it. But, like good porn, we know it when we see it. Good contributors will always get favorable treatment. That's just the way things work.


Ok, enough talk let's get to the subject!

I met my girl a little more then 3 years ago. I am now 21. Even if we do not share the same hobby, we really love eachother and hope that we can build something strong in the future. We are getting married this Saturday, October 1st. One thing I was wondering is how will my gaming be affected by all of this. It is a big part of my life and this is the place where I can chill out after a big day of work/school. Nothing is worth more then hearing White-Ra say 'Special tactics'.

This gave me the idea to post on TL to ask people to share their past experience. The discussion will be made in two different ways:

First, people who are married or that live with someone else, man or women, heterosexual or homosexual, it really doesn't matter. What matter is that you share what were the adjustment you had to make and how you made them. Did you have to sacrifice gaming time? Did you set a specific amount of time you could play? Did you just tell you're love to f*** o** and let you play (I hope not!).

Then, everyone that are planning to go live with their lover, or just if you are fifteen and wondering what you need to expect later, post you're question so that people can answer to the best of their abilities.

-----------------------------------------------

To add more to the discussion, here is some opinions I've found on the subject

A man share his experience and his solution!
I really enjoy this short article where he brings up points that I never tought before. Could you mate become a gamer?

8 Tips from a women to women to save the marriage with a gamer!
I found that one very funny since you read a women to women discussion :-)

-----------------------------------------------

Alright, you're turn now!

P.S. My first language isn't english so if you did not understand something in my post just tell me and I will try to make it more clear!

EDIT: Okay, it seems that we had to get to this. Some people want to argue about my decision wich is NOT what I want. This is not about me, this is about the community. Bring your expererience about gaming, not if getting married is good or bad.
Action is the real measure of intelligence.
Bibdy
Profile Joined March 2010
United States3481 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-29 17:33:20
September 29 2011 16:54 GMT
#2
There will be less time for gaming the older you get. Once you have kids, it's pretty much over unless you want to risk being a neglectful parent (we all tunnel-vision when we're playing games - no shame in that). The period from 18-26 is pretty much your magnum opus of gaming, so enjoy it while you can (I'm sure others will jump in with stories how they extended that number further - but the point is, it's finite). Now, if you don't have kids, you could quite happily enjoy a more bite-size gaming lifestyle. Either way you slice it, career, family and general adult responsibilities will keep getting in the way.

This leads to the pretty common misconception of what the casual gamer is. A lot of them are hardcore gamers that just don't have the time anymore. They're not so much interested in social games like Farmville (the new breed of social gamers a whole different category), but they want good games that come in more bite-size chunks.

I think, most importantly, no matter how much time you set aside, you'll still get interrupted in the middle of a gaming session since there are other people in your life, and more events that will disrupt it. You're going to have to learn to deal with that. Just a warning, because some people I know get really pissy when they're interrupted in the middle of something.
sunchopper
Profile Joined October 2010
United States20 Posts
September 29 2011 16:57 GMT
#3
If you want a marriage that includes truly understanding your other half, there will be times when you have to say no to gaming. Sometimes your wife will just need someone to talk to. If you want to show her that you really care, you have to shut off the game even if it is right before White-Ra says "special tactics" and you haven't heard him say it in months. Marriage includes giving up some things in order to receive other things in return. You have to believe that what you receive in return is better than what you are giving up... i.e. your relationship with your wife will be better and far more worthwhile than a few hours of gaming that you lost.

To sum up my point, you can live in the same house as someone else, but not truly live with them. Do your best to live with your wife and not just around her.
weeeeeeeeeee
bonifaceviii
Profile Joined May 2010
Canada2890 Posts
September 29 2011 16:57 GMT
#4
You really didn't go into any detail about how your fiancee feels about your gaming. This is the most important thing we need to know.

If she has a negative opinion of gaming or thinks it's a waste of time you will have a problem. If she doesn't, you probably won't.
Stay a while and listen || http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=354018
Sanitarium14
Profile Joined April 2010
United States141 Posts
September 29 2011 16:58 GMT
#5
You can always watch the game, and just never play it. I mean, do most adult men regularly play football? and how many watch it? Explain it sort of like watching football, except you will never leave her for a bar to do it.....(not counting barcraft. lol.)
eh?
m00nchile
Profile Joined July 2010
Slovenia240 Posts
September 29 2011 16:58 GMT
#6
I've been with my girlfriend for a bit over 5 years now, we've been living together about 4. It was a bit difficult at first, but after a while she just figured out that it's who I am. I also try to limit my computer time when she's home (a nurse, so her work schedule is hectic) but it's not that big of a deal.
The above post was made by a noob. Take it as such.
targ
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
Malaysia445 Posts
September 29 2011 17:01 GMT
#7
My gf plays Maple Story while I play Starcraft so everything is fine and dandy. As long as you don't go overboard with it there should be no problem.
http://billyfoong.blogspot.com/ my other opinions are here
Datz2Ez
Profile Joined May 2011
Canada76 Posts
September 29 2011 17:03 GMT
#8
On September 30 2011 01:57 bonifaceviii wrote:
You really didn't go into any detail about how your fiancee feels about your gaming. This is the most important thing we need to know.

If she has a negative opinion of gaming or thinks it's a waste of time you will have a problem. If she doesn't, you probably won't.


My fiancee doesn't really care about gaming. I mean I already played a couple of LoL game and she really didn't mind however there is no way I can start a conversation about gaming with her! She feels it is ridicoulus that some people can live out of games while other have to work 40h/weeks.

You can always watch the game, and just never play it. I mean, do most adult men regularly play football? and how many watch it? Explain it sort of like watching football, except you will never leave her for a bar to do it.....(not counting barcraft. lol.)

Very, very good point! So many people spend their evening watching sports event, what would make a gamer unable to watch his favorite progamer?

If you want a marriage that includes truly understanding your other half, there will be times when you have to say no to gaming. Sometimes your wife will just need someone to talk to. If you want to show her that you really care, you have to shut off the game even if it is right before White-Ra says "special tactics" and you haven't heard him say it in months. Marriage includes giving up some things in order to receive other things in return. You have to believe that what you receive in return is better than what you are giving up... i.e. your relationship with your wife will be better and far more worthwhile than a few hours of gaming that you lost.

To sum up my point, you can live in the same house as someone else, but not truly live with them. Do your best to live with your wife and not just around her.


Thanks for your honest point of view. It is true that I do not want to fall in the patern where you live 'around' my futur wife and not be with her.
Action is the real measure of intelligence.
Linkirvana
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Netherlands365 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-29 17:10:26
September 29 2011 17:06 GMT
#9
Am I the only one that doesn't really see how marriage would make a difference?

Unless marriage all of a sudden makes your girlfriend less tolerant to gaming I don't see how your situation would change at all.

I assume you already live together, so nothing would change in that respect either.

Seems like a bit of a pointless discussion to me, if it were you and the girl starting to live together, then there'd be something to talk about I guess.

:Edit: with all these replies around me I'm starting to feel like Im missing something XD
FT.aCt)Sony
Profile Blog Joined June 2007
United States1049 Posts
September 29 2011 17:06 GMT
#10
Ive been married now for almost 4 years and have 2 kids. Aside from that aspect of life I am also active duty military in which I work 4-5 days a week, 9 -12 hours a day.

I am able to dedicate at least 6-8 hours a day playing with no problems whatsoever solely because I am shift work. My oldest goes to daycare and my youngest has numerous medical issues in which my wife handles since I work.

On my days off, I dedicate at least 4-6 hours spending time with the family and engaging in family activities such as watching movies together, board games, Wii or PS3 etc...
QuanticHawk
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
United States32159 Posts
September 29 2011 17:10 GMT
#11
I'm not so worried bout the time spent gaming as I am about her seeing me screaming like a lunatic into my XBL mic when my stupid ass EASHL team loses. That should be fun!
PROFESSIONAL GAMER - SEND ME OFFERS TO JOIN YOUR TEAM - USA USA USA
Saechiis
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Netherlands4989 Posts
September 29 2011 17:11 GMT
#12
I can't believe you would choose to get married at 21 o_O Why would you do that?
I think esports is pretty nice.
Ghad
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Norway2551 Posts
September 29 2011 17:14 GMT
#13
On September 30 2011 01:54 Bibdy wrote:
The period from 18-26 is pretty much your magnus opus of gaming, so enjoy it while you can


Hahah, that is really beautifully put. And so true.
forgottendreams: One underage girl, two drunk guys, one gogo dancer and starcraft 2. Apparently just another day in Europe.
Defacer
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Canada5052 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-29 17:15:37
September 29 2011 17:15 GMT
#14
I just got married. And I still play SC2 and Team Liquid a few hours a day ...

The truth is, my wife is a lot less bothered by my SC2 addiction than I am. I'm the turning point of my career (32) where I either have to take my life goals and career more seriously or languish in mediocrity.

SC2 helped me deal with my anxiety, but I really should be using the time to you know, become a better human being. If I spent as much time reading or drawing as I do on SC2, I'd probably be much better off.

DAMN YOU TL/BLIZZARD!!!

Mysticesper
Profile Joined January 2011
United States1183 Posts
September 29 2011 17:16 GMT
#15
On September 30 2011 02:11 Saechiis wrote:
I can't believe you would choose to get married at 21 o_O Why would you do that?

If they shared the same feelings of commitment at 21 that others would in their late 20s, theres nothing wrong with that.

It's kids at younger ages that pose larger issues, mostly due to the inability to financially support it.
N3rV[Green]
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
United States1935 Posts
September 29 2011 17:18 GMT
#16
[QUOTE]On September 30 2011 02:03 Datz2Ez wrote:
[QUOTE]On September 30 2011 01:57 bonifaceviii wrote:

My fiancee doesn't really care about gaming. I mean I already played a couple of LoL game and she really didn't mind however there is no way I can start a conversation about gaming with her! She feels it is ridicoulus that some people can live out of games while other have to work 40h/weeks.
[/QUOTE]


This is just don't understand O.o

How is "playing games" not a job when pro's play for over 10 hours a day 7 days a week?

I'd say prolly the LEAST hours put into a week of practice would be around 60h/week.....my mind hurts.
Never fear the darkness, Bran. The strongest trees are rooted in the dark places of the earth. Darkness will be your cloak, your shield, your mother's milk. Darkness will make you strong.
lSasquatchl
Profile Joined February 2011
United States309 Posts
September 29 2011 17:21 GMT
#17
I am 24 and coming up on my 4 year Anniversary with my wife. She knows that I like to game and I have had some issues with it in the past. For example
I wake up early by chance so I play some StarCraft while she is still asleep so I don't run into the time we are awake together. When she gets up I always stop playing if not before. If she wakes up and sees that I am playing I get "Have you been playing games all morning?" With a tone of accusation. Her complaints are that I could have been doing something like cleaning etc. I find it best not to argue with anyone as soon as they wake up, but my thoughts are "You have been sleeping all morning instead of doing anything." Countless times I have woken her up with breakfast instead of playing.

If it isn't in morning I try to catch a time where she is enjoying a hobby of hers, and play a few games while trying to makes plans for something to do together. I think what is important, even though my wife holds so many double standards its crazy, is to show the person you love that you are always thinking of them.
CCitrus
Profile Joined July 2011
Canada164 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-09-29 17:23:31
September 29 2011 17:22 GMT
#18
On September 30 2011 02:11 Saechiis wrote:
I can't believe you would choose to get married at 21 o_O Why would you do that?


You can only understand this when you meet the right person. It all makes sense then. (I was married 9 months ago, age 21).

You'll lose some gaming time, especially initially, but you'll get a bunch back as you both learn how to be together while not focusing entirely on your partner. Marriage is wonderful, but it's about compromise; you'll have to come to terms with not gaming whenever you want. Maybe you'll have to get in 1.5 hr a day instead of 7 hr twice a week.

Kids? I don't know about that. They still frighten me a little.

You know what I've found more restrictive on gaming than marriage? A full-time job. 40+ hr a week is a long time.

Kevan
Profile Joined April 2011
Sweden2303 Posts
September 29 2011 17:29 GMT
#19
You are 21? Isn´t that a little too young to get married? I hope you will not regret doing it already.

But if you really do love each other, enough to get married, then you should be able to respect each others hobbies/interests. It shouldn´t matter too much.
SC2, rip in pepperinos
HyperLink
Profile Joined September 2010
Canada172 Posts
September 29 2011 17:32 GMT
#20
On September 30 2011 02:10 Hawk wrote:
I'm not so worried bout the time spent gaming as I am about her seeing me screaming like a lunatic into my XBL mic when my stupid ass EASHL team loses. That should be fun!

This is the only thing my wife hates, my mic and skype while playing SC2.

On topic:
She's ok with computer games games (she has her own account, we play 2v2, she's practised enough on her own to get gold league 1v1 and is possibly attending her first Barcraft on the 16th..!). That's what makes it work, she has taken an interest in something I enjoy and you have to do the same things too. It just requires balance. It may not be something she would do in her own time, but it's something she takes an interest in for my sake.

You'll more than likely have to trim back the amount of time you play, but she will have to be understanding enough to give you the time to do what you enjoy as well.
A woman is a lot like a refrigerator. 6 feet tall, 300 pounds... it makes ice.
1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
CranKy Ducklings54
Liquipedia
BSL Open Qualifier
04:00
Jungsu & Hasu #2
ZZZero.O137
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SpeCial 109
StarCraft: Brood War
Artosis 973
ZZZero.O 137
Bale 16
ajuk12(nOOB) 8
Dota 2
NeuroSwarm178
League of Legends
Doublelift5226
JimRising 728
Other Games
summit1g8784
FrodaN3213
KnowMe193
C9.Mang0150
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1187
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream35
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP51
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1008
• Shiphtur196
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
10h 28m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
11h 28m
Monday Night Weeklies
16h 28m
Replay Cast
23h 28m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 10h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 11h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.