• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:06
CEST 11:06
KST 18:06
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror6[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War615.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups $3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War ChatGPT cheats at StarSkirmish SCAI tournament TL Sidebar missing streams [ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror Sagi.gg Launcher Released
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7193 users

Intellectual Movies - Page 11

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 21 Next All
MarCoon
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Germany493 Posts
December 30 2010 00:12 GMT
#201
On December 30 2010 09:04 The KY wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
If you're looking for something 'intellectual', I'd recommend skipping the film and reading the book it was adapted from. I swear, 99.9% of good, intelligent films are adapted from books. And 99.9% of the time the book is better. For example;

-Bladerunner, adapted from Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

While the main theme of both works is what it is to be human, the book addresses this much more fully. The post-war society that the Deckard of the books occupies is based largely around empathy. There is a religion called Mercerism based around every person using a strange machine to feel the experiences of, and thus empathise with, a mysterious messianic figure who for some reason is eternally walking up a mountain and being tormented (there's also a sort of bizarre TV low brow comedian whose show is aired 24/7, no repeats, and who seems to be engaged in a battle with Mercerism for the hearts and minds of the people - it's weird). Empathy is such an central part of their lives that it is a gross social faux pas not to own an animal to look after, but many can't afford one and buy an electrical fake animal and live in fear of their neighbours finding out. Replicants, meanwhile, can't feel empathy, and therein in the focus of the novel.
All or most of this, the 'intellectually stimulating' bits, is absent from the film. Don't get me wrong, Bladerunner is great, but for different reasons. Beautifully shot, written and acted, it's intelligent and engaging throughout. But for brain food, I know which I'm going for.

In my personal opinion, the book version is almost always better in general. But then again I'm not a big film guy.


But if anyone's looking for great, intelligent films, I recently watched Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West and Once Upon A Time In America (the real version, not the shitty fucked up cut released in the US that apparently left Leone so 'heartbroken' that he never made another film).

+ Show Spoiler +
P.S. I can't be the only one who thinks Donnie Darko is balls, can I?

P.P.S This thread is fucking old.


Probably because they cut like 90 minutes of the movie? OOa
~follow me on twitter.com/GGmarCoon
The KY
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United Kingdom6252 Posts
December 30 2010 00:15 GMT
#202
Also, everyone's said it man, but I love Apocalypse Now. The shot where you first see Kurtz, shrouded in darkness, slowly washing his bald head and giving that crazy monologue...I saw that shit when I closed my eyes for days after. Totally mesmerising, perfect, and I don't even know why.
BruceLee6783
Profile Joined March 2007
United States196 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-30 18:33:31
December 30 2010 00:15 GMT
#203
Stay Alive
Men In Black
Slither
Decoys











NOT.

Here's some movies that are "kinda" intellectual, imo.

Phonebooth
Cube
Vanilla Sky
Ken Park
The Lawnmower Man (Most of these more sad than intellectual)
Requiem For A Dream
Trainspotting

EDIT : Sling Blade
Mr. Brooks

Sadly, I can't recall any movie I've ever seen that I would consider to be, truly "intellectual". But I hope you guys got some laughs out of my fake list.

You have enemies? Good. It means you stood up for something.
Ferrose
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States11378 Posts
December 30 2010 00:16 GMT
#204
Lemon Tree :D

It's a foreign film, though. From Israel.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lemon_Tree_(film)
@113candlemagic Office lady by day, lonely woman at night. | Official lolicon of thread 94273
Zoler
Profile Blog Joined June 2008
Sweden6339 Posts
December 30 2010 00:17 GMT
#205
No idea if it counts as "intellectual" but I think it's fucking good so:

The man from earth
Lim Yo Hwan forever!
The KY
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United Kingdom6252 Posts
December 30 2010 00:18 GMT
#206
On December 30 2010 09:12 MarCoon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 30 2010 09:04 The KY wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
If you're looking for something 'intellectual', I'd recommend skipping the film and reading the book it was adapted from. I swear, 99.9% of good, intelligent films are adapted from books. And 99.9% of the time the book is better. For example;

-Bladerunner, adapted from Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

While the main theme of both works is what it is to be human, the book addresses this much more fully. The post-war society that the Deckard of the books occupies is based largely around empathy. There is a religion called Mercerism based around every person using a strange machine to feel the experiences of, and thus empathise with, a mysterious messianic figure who for some reason is eternally walking up a mountain and being tormented (there's also a sort of bizarre TV low brow comedian whose show is aired 24/7, no repeats, and who seems to be engaged in a battle with Mercerism for the hearts and minds of the people - it's weird). Empathy is such an central part of their lives that it is a gross social faux pas not to own an animal to look after, but many can't afford one and buy an electrical fake animal and live in fear of their neighbours finding out. Replicants, meanwhile, can't feel empathy, and therein in the focus of the novel.
All or most of this, the 'intellectually stimulating' bits, is absent from the film. Don't get me wrong, Bladerunner is great, but for different reasons. Beautifully shot, written and acted, it's intelligent and engaging throughout. But for brain food, I know which I'm going for.

In my personal opinion, the book version is almost always better in general. But then again I'm not a big film guy.


But if anyone's looking for great, intelligent films, I recently watched Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West and Once Upon A Time In America (the real version, not the shitty fucked up cut released in the US that apparently left Leone so 'heartbroken' that he never made another film).

+ Show Spoiler +
P.S. I can't be the only one who thinks Donnie Darko is balls, can I?

P.P.S This thread is fucking old.


Probably because they cut like 90 minutes of the movie? OOa


Yes, and much, much worse than that, they fucking rearranged the rest of it. Makes me sick.
MarCoon
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Germany493 Posts
December 30 2010 00:23 GMT
#207
To actually contribute something to the "OP" and I am sure it's been already said, but I'd say 12 Angry Men is an "intellectual" films since it makes you "think" if you have the ability to do so...
I could be wrong since I may have an other definition of intellectual movies.
~follow me on twitter.com/GGmarCoon
craz3d
Profile Joined August 2005
Bulgaria856 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-30 00:27:13
December 30 2010 00:24 GMT
#208
On December 30 2010 09:04 The KY wrote:
If you're looking for something 'intellectual', I'd recommend skipping the film and reading the book it was adapted from. I swear, 99.9% of good, intelligent films are adapted from books. And 99.9% of the time the book is better. For example;

-Bladerunner, adapted from Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick

While the main theme of both works is what it is to be human, the book addresses this much more fully. The post-war society that the Deckard of the books occupies is based largely around empathy. There is a religion called Mercerism based around every person using a strange machine to feel the experiences of, and thus empathise with, a mysterious messianic figure who for some reason is eternally walking up a mountain and being tormented (there's also a sort of bizarre TV low brow comedian whose show is aired 24/7, no repeats, and who seems to be engaged in a battle with Mercerism for the hearts and minds of the people - it's weird). Empathy is such an central part of their lives that it is a gross social faux pas not to own an animal to look after, but many can't afford one and buy an electrical fake animal and live in fear of their neighbours finding out. Replicants, meanwhile, can't feel empathy, and therein in the focus of the novel.
All or most of this, the 'intellectually stimulating' bits, is absent from the film. Don't get me wrong, Bladerunner is great, but for different reasons. Beautifully shot, written and acted, it's intelligent and engaging throughout. But for brain food, I know which I'm going for.

In my personal opinion, the book version is almost always better in general. But then again I'm not a big film guy.

But if anyone's looking for great, intelligent films, I recently watched Sergio Leone's Once Upon A Time In The West and Once Upon A Time In America (the real version, not the shitty fucked up cut released in the US that apparently left Leone so 'heartbroken' that he never made another film).

P.S. I can't be the only one who thinks Donnie Darko is balls, can I?

P.P.S This thread is fucking old.


Hehe, I was actually going to recommend Once Upon a Time in America as well, for the reason that there is a lot of symbolism, foreshadowing, and interesting things going on that you'd have to watch the movie multiple times to see everything.

Other "thinking" movies:
- Novecento - 1900 (a movie about the struggle between the peasant class and the ruling class in the early 20th century)
- Rouge (part of the three colours trilogy, an interesting film with some of the best cinematography I've ever seen. It is about how people can be connected, but still never meet or get to know each other. The first two movies are also good, but I put this one because its my favourite)

That's all that comes to mind atm.

edit: on the topic of Once Upon a Time in America, it's rumoured that there was a 5 hour verson and that was Leone's preferred version. Unfortunately he passed away in the early 90's so it may never see the light of day.
Hello World!
PhilosophyCJ
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada6 Posts
December 30 2010 00:39 GMT
#209
Lost in Translation
Into the wild
Donnie Darko

those are the best 3 North American movies of that genre... in that order.
"Ignorance is Bliss"
metzGRR
Profile Joined December 2010
Sweden86 Posts
December 30 2010 00:42 GMT
#210
Revolver.
SaYyId
Profile Joined August 2010
Portugal277 Posts
December 30 2010 00:43 GMT
#211
good will hunting made me sad... loved it
No Strings. No attachments.
MrProphylactic
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
296 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-30 00:54:28
December 30 2010 00:45 GMT
#212
Here are a few must see classics

Brazil ...
Being There
Dr Strangelove
Trainspotting ( oh already recommended) Many f the great films come from books , so you could just read the book they are based on . for instance 1984 , water ship down , or Plague dogs , Fight club to name a few

some decent films.....


any David Lynch movie . some of his old works are really trippy . Like " Eraser Head " I really enjoyed Muhullond drive ( took several viewings to really figure it out, Twin peaks , Lost highway , they are all thought provocative; However, I personally would recommend Mulhullond drive over Lost Highway )

one ole classic is the 1950's film Sunset Boulevard by Billy Wilder .

Manchurian candidate ( both versions are good , but the original is a classic Bogart )

Imo Sixth sense was fairly good , hardly ground breaking , but worth a viewing if you dont know the ending yet .

Of course Federico Fellini is one of the fathers of modern surrealism and dream sequences in film , he is a must . any Herzog film are generally provocative although some of his latest I could do without


Edit I will post some more , Need to think on this for while I have seen so many good films, and a lot of poeple have mentioned the cult basics of recent history already .
"The Beauty of a move is not in its appearance, but the thought behind it" Nimzovitch
DragonDefonce
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
United States790 Posts
December 30 2010 00:54 GMT
#213
Idk if you would consider TOTAL MINDFUCK as an intellectual movie, but if you do, I recommend Fight Club and Oldboy.
joban
Profile Joined September 2010
179 Posts
December 30 2010 00:57 GMT
#214
Hot Tub Time Machine... and anything in the Criterion Collection
ToxNub
Profile Joined June 2010
Canada805 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-30 00:59:17
December 30 2010 00:58 GMT
#215
Fight Club
Oldboy
Being John Malkovich
Synecdoche New York (A++)
Exam
Open Your eyes
Confessions of a dangerous mind
Amores Perros
American Beauty
Magnolia
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

(half of these movies are written by charlie kaufman.. if you like one, you'll probably like the rest)
MrProphylactic
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
296 Posts
Last Edited: 2010-12-30 01:06:33
December 30 2010 00:59 GMT
#216
Ok I just remebwered one
" Mindwalk " a really weird movie , and quite intellectual in its dialogue ( at least I thought so 20 years ago when I saw it on LSD ) . If I recall it is a musician , a poet, and a physicist that are having deep conversations for 2 hours, that is pretty much the plot ..


one of the lesser known Quentin Tarantino early screenplays " Sleep with me " It is hardly a great movie , However the dialogue is superb in many places put euphemistically, and that makes it worth a mention .
"The Beauty of a move is not in its appearance, but the thought behind it" Nimzovitch
Xtal
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Haiti385 Posts
December 30 2010 01:05 GMT
#217
On April 07 2005 22:20 travis wrote:
how could you not like good will hunting


QFT
Have you ever heard the story, about the Zergling and the Probe? The Probe didn't make it across the creep.
Immanency
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States82 Posts
December 30 2010 01:08 GMT
#218
Inception has probably been posted several times, but you can't discount its ability to make your head hurt.
game is hard
simpy
Profile Joined December 2010
Australia29 Posts
December 30 2010 01:11 GMT
#219
El Topo and Holy Mountain -
Both directed, written and designed by the Chillien genius Alejandro Jodorowsky, I can't explain what happens but you must see El Topo first and be warned, these films aren't for anyone who isn't willing to commit to them. I recommend putting on the Director's Commentary for both El Topo and Holy Mountain after watching it a first time... It can help you understand it in a completely different way as to the way you first saw it!


Ed Wood -
A classic cult film directed by Tim Burton, the references are incredibly subtle and are easily missed if you don't pay close attention this film is a quasi biography on Ed Wood (the worst director in Hollywood), starring good ole' Johnny Depp back in the his earlier, less "mainstream" days.


Slacker -
A interesting look on a group of social outcasts and eccentrics who live in Austin, Texas. It's basically a whole lot of different life philosophies all tied together in some chaotic, random sequence which moves pretty seemlessly from one story to the next.

Not all of these are "intellectual" but they do provide a different look on different situations.
If you are looking for something not so "easy" to watch, these can be very rewarding.

Enjoy!
I never have trouble spending money IRL, why do I have such trouble on SC2 -______-
SilverSkyLark
Profile Blog Joined April 2008
Philippines8437 Posts
December 30 2010 01:13 GMT
#220
The Rapture of Fe.
"If i lost an arm, I would play w3." -IntoTheWow || "Member of Hyuk Hyuk Hyuk cafe. He's the next Jaedong, baby!"
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 13 21 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 54m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 4153
Calm 2682
Leta 2666
Soulkey 483
Soma 348
Rush 221
Barracks 206
BeSt 183
firebathero 51
Killer 48
[ Show more ]
Shine 36
Shinee 33
Sexy 23
Hm[arnc] 19
Sharp 18
Noble 7
sorry 7
HiyA 5
Terrorterran 1
Dota 2
Gorgc2372
XcaliburYe154
League of Legends
JimRising 512
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King70
Other Games
gofns15647
WinterStarcraft723
Sick184
Pyrionflax145
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV212
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 8
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• 3DClanTV 52
• Sammyuel 43
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2246
League of Legends
• Jankos2748
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
54m
Patches Events
5h 54m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 54m
BSL Open Qualifier
9h 54m
OSC
13h 54m
OSC
1d 2h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
5 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.