• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 19:55
CEST 01:55
KST 08:55
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)75Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Bot on ladder 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9068 users

A Song EVERYONE Should Have In Their Music Library - Page 22

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 35 Next All
bjornkavist
Profile Blog Joined June 2009
Canada1235 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-18 18:07:41
August 18 2011 18:06 GMT
#421
Jesus Etc. by Wilco. It was released on the album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot in 2002 not long after 9/11 though the songs were written before the attacks a lot of the lyrics were oddly prophetic but comforting to a hurt America. Whenever they play Jesus Etc. Live you'll struggle not to sing along with the entire crowd. This is a must have, beautiful lyrics, and beautiful song from the best American band around today.



*edit* posted a version where you can really hear the crowd.
https://soundcloud.com/bbols
Kyhol
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2575 Posts
August 18 2011 18:10 GMT
#422

The symptom of the universe is written in your eyes yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Wishing you well.
Shiladie
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Canada1631 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-18 18:18:17
August 18 2011 18:17 GMT
#423
The Man Who Sold the World - David Bowie
HesitatioN
Profile Joined January 2011
United States148 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-18 18:31:01
August 18 2011 18:30 GMT
#424
Feel Good - Modestep


watch in HD
She doesn't wear any wings
The Final Boss
Profile Joined February 2011
United States1839 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-18 20:54:24
August 18 2011 20:50 GMT
#425
On August 18 2011 06:48 MeeMeesiko wrote:
There's a few of them, some of them based in nostalgia and others that just have to be listened to, the ones that are life changing and saving.

The most underrated group in history, and honestly I wouldn't have it any other way because their underground tracks are my secrets... But this song makes the list so here it is. Falls neatly into the life-saving category:



I love this song, I love Streetlight Manifesto, and I love you for posting that. I almost posted it, but I went with Dispatch and State Radio instead. I saw these guys live with Reel Big Fish this summer and I saw them last summer with a bunch of random bands and they were honestly two of the greatest nights of my life. I love the way Ska sounds, but the stuff that Streetlight sings about is so much more real then the stuff that bands like Reel Big Fish or The Mighty Mighty Bosstones sing about.

On August 18 2011 16:48 Shinobi1982 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 17 2011 21:24 Morfildur wrote:
On August 17 2011 19:28 Vortigan wrote:
Love the idea of this thread but so many of these suggestions are just basic pop garbage music with no significant meaning or cultural importance. They might be good for some people but they are really not music everybody should listen to :D

Anyway i grew up listening to bob dylan with my dad and one song that meant a lot to me at the time and still does. Bob dylan wrote this song about the blues legend Blind Willie McTell who past away.

Bob Dylan - Blind Willie McTell


I agree, there should be a rule to that like "The song must be at least 10 years old" or something.
Too many of the songs sound nice but carry no real weight, just another flavour of the month/year style of song that noone will remember in a few years.

I have to agree with this. It begun good with Johnny Cash but then it went down the hill.
Also... before posting...
When you read the title: "A Song EVERYONE Should Have In Their Music Library"
You should read: Would a 10-50 year-old somebody (anybody) run the f*ck away from if they hear this at a public place.

Btw + Show Spoiler +
I listen to everything, my workout music is heavy metal/melodic death metal. But that does not justify posting it in "this" thread :D.

I disagree completely. There is newer music that everybody can enjoy. Sure, every iPod should be loaded with The Beatles, The Ramones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, Ozzy and songs like Carry On My Wayward Son or Sweet Child O' Mine, but there's plenty of other great music that I think everybody should have.

Hell, my dad would NEVER listen to Ozzy Osbourne, but he loves the Ramones and listens to them all day. Alternatively, I have a friend who swears that he hates the Ramones and others that hate The Beatles (don't ask me why, I don't understand it any more than you do), does that mean that they can't be included on this list?

Dispatch is a band that is from around ten years ago, but I think everybody should listen to them at least once. I think it's pretty difficult to find a band that sounds like them at all, but just because they're not as old as other music they somehow don't deserve to be here? Hell at Dispatch 2011, despite most of the crowd probably being in their 20s-young 30s, there was still some 60 year old ladies sitting about three rows in front of me who were enjoying the music as much as anybody.

Same thing with Streetlight Manifesto (though they're a bit more of an acquired taste, but that's just ska music), they're a really great band that has a very unique sound and message; so what if they're not ten years old. This is really just to compile a list of music that everyone should listen to at least once, just to give it a try (at least that's what OP states if you read it). It's not necessarily the most memorable songs of all time, but it just so happens that all those songs are music that everybody should listen to.

EDIT: Also, best Blink-182 song def deserves to be here, and everybody who's ever been a teenager can relate to this.
Blink-182 Dammit:
+ Show Spoiler +
Because Old Blink-182 is the best, and new Blink-182 is, well, um, good? Sometimes? Yeah...
naiad
Profile Joined June 2010
Portugal8 Posts
August 19 2011 02:25 GMT
#426
Yo La Tengo - Saturday
+ Show Spoiler +

Just a great song overall, guess most people could relate to it in some way

Lyrics:
The room was filled with talk
For anyone listening
I found a spot by the door
With no one around

Let my mind go
Out of tune
Out of tune

I kept a smile on my face
For anyone looking
Tried to turn away questions
Before he asked

Let my mind go
Out of tune
Out of tune

I was engrossed in the film
Without really watching
Said, "who's the guy with the gun?"
As if I was involved

Let my mind go
Out of tune
Out of tune



You won't regret hearing it =)
FrozenFlare
Profile Joined October 2010
Australia103 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-19 04:27:22
August 19 2011 04:23 GMT
#427
No one introduces their favorite music like Patrick Bateman - NO ONE



And also my personal favorite as of lately...just listen to this girl scream REEEOOOW!!

Remember you are unique, just like everyone else.
Ympulse
Profile Joined August 2010
United States287 Posts
August 19 2011 04:32 GMT
#428
Bohemian Raphsody.
clonepwn
Profile Joined May 2011
United States4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-19 07:38:56
August 19 2011 07:36 GMT
#429
I usually just lurk TL and never post but I felt obligated to share this.

The second movement of Maurice Ravel's Piano Concerto in G is, in my opinion, the most beautiful piece of music ever written. This particular recording was played by one of the greatest pianists of all time (Krystian Zimmerman) with one of the best orchestras in the world (Cleveland).

+ Show Spoiler +
Ravel Piano Concerto in G, mvt. 2
clonepwn
Profile Joined May 2011
United States4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-19 07:43:03
August 19 2011 07:42 GMT
#430
clonepwn
Profile Joined May 2011
United States4 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-19 07:44:24
August 19 2011 07:44 GMT
#431
Sorry for the double post...this is what happens when I don't post for 3 years...
edit:make that triple
renaissanceMAN
Profile Joined March 2011
United States1840 Posts
August 19 2011 07:47 GMT
#432
radiohead - reckoner

pretty much the entire "in rainbows" album too~
On August 15 2013 03:43 Waxangel wrote: no amount of money can replace the enjoyment of being mean to people on the internet
SixSongs
Profile Blog Joined March 2006
Poland1455 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-19 07:58:31
August 19 2011 07:58 GMT
#433
AIR - Talisman.

Makes me think every time I listen to it :D.

The Prince of DroneS
phyren
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
United States1067 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-19 08:05:46
August 19 2011 08:02 GMT
#434
On August 19 2011 05:50 The Final Boss wrote:
Show nested quote +
On August 18 2011 06:48 MeeMeesiko wrote:
There's a few of them, some of them based in nostalgia and others that just have to be listened to, the ones that are life changing and saving.

The most underrated group in history, and honestly I wouldn't have it any other way because their underground tracks are my secrets... But this song makes the list so here it is. Falls neatly into the life-saving category:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6oqHdxYppoQ

I love this song, I love Streetlight Manifesto, and I love you for posting that. I almost posted it, but I went with Dispatch and State Radio instead. I saw these guys live with Reel Big Fish this summer and I saw them last summer with a bunch of random bands and they were honestly two of the greatest nights of my life. I love the way Ska sounds, but the stuff that Streetlight sings about is so much more real then the stuff that bands like Reel Big Fish or The Mighty Mighty Bosstones sing about.

Show nested quote +
On August 18 2011 16:48 Shinobi1982 wrote:
On August 17 2011 21:24 Morfildur wrote:
On August 17 2011 19:28 Vortigan wrote:
Love the idea of this thread but so many of these suggestions are just basic pop garbage music with no significant meaning or cultural importance. They might be good for some people but they are really not music everybody should listen to :D

Anyway i grew up listening to bob dylan with my dad and one song that meant a lot to me at the time and still does. Bob dylan wrote this song about the blues legend Blind Willie McTell who past away.

Bob Dylan - Blind Willie McTell


I agree, there should be a rule to that like "The song must be at least 10 years old" or something.
Too many of the songs sound nice but carry no real weight, just another flavour of the month/year style of song that noone will remember in a few years.

I have to agree with this. It begun good with Johnny Cash but then it went down the hill.
Also... before posting...
When you read the title: "A Song EVERYONE Should Have In Their Music Library"
You should read: Would a 10-50 year-old somebody (anybody) run the f*ck away from if they hear this at a public place.

Btw + Show Spoiler +
I listen to everything, my workout music is heavy metal/melodic death metal. But that does not justify posting it in "this" thread :D.

I disagree completely. There is newer music that everybody can enjoy. Sure, every iPod should be loaded with The Beatles, The Ramones, The Who, Led Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, Ozzy and songs like Carry On My Wayward Son or Sweet Child O' Mine, but there's plenty of other great music that I think everybody should have.

Hell, my dad would NEVER listen to Ozzy Osbourne, but he loves the Ramones and listens to them all day. Alternatively, I have a friend who swears that he hates the Ramones and others that hate The Beatles (don't ask me why, I don't understand it any more than you do), does that mean that they can't be included on this list?

Dispatch is a band that is from around ten years ago, but I think everybody should listen to them at least once. I think it's pretty difficult to find a band that sounds like them at all, but just because they're not as old as other music they somehow don't deserve to be here? Hell at Dispatch 2011, despite most of the crowd probably being in their 20s-young 30s, there was still some 60 year old ladies sitting about three rows in front of me who were enjoying the music as much as anybody.

Same thing with Streetlight Manifesto (though they're a bit more of an acquired taste, but that's just ska music), they're a really great band that has a very unique sound and message; so what if they're not ten years old. This is really just to compile a list of music that everyone should listen to at least once, just to give it a try (at least that's what OP states if you read it). It's not necessarily the most memorable songs of all time, but it just so happens that all those songs are music that everybody should listen to.

EDIT: Also, best Blink-182 song def deserves to be here, and everybody who's ever been a teenager can relate to this.
Blink-182 Dammit:
+ Show Spoiler +
Because Old Blink-182 is the best, and new Blink-182 is, well, um, good? Sometimes? Yeah...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM7bkQ4HUK0


I don't feel like you're seeing the same point in the thread title. I like streetlight manifesto, and ska is a type of music that I would say everyone should give a shot at enjoying. That said, I wouldn't expect everyone or even the vast majority to decide they did enjoy it. This thread seemed to me to be about songs that EVERYONE should enjoy. Now obviously you are going to get the odd hater who doesn't like the Beatles, beethoven, w/e. Still, the songs that were made more than a decade ago and yet still remain a part of the public consciousness have a certain broad appeal that flavor of the month stuff doesn't. Take, for example, fortunate son by CCR. It wasn't the top song when it came out, but it is an amazing piece of music that is still played after other songs released that year are forgotten. There is contemporary music that will stand the test of time, I'm sure, but it is difficult to say what that is, and certainly most people don't have the sense for it.

Anyway, that said, I'll contribute again with this song that I only found out about a few weeks ago, but I doubt I'll ever forget.

Song: What did you learn in school today?

Artist: Pete Seeger ( not the original, but best I found on youtube)

+ Show Spoiler +
Influential artist playing one of the most bitingly sarcastic songs I think I've ever heard


Schwopzi
Profile Joined August 2010
Netherlands954 Posts
August 19 2011 08:11 GMT
#435
Since sigur r'os is allready well represented (imo the best album made is ageatis byrjun) I'll just go with a little song by the national, fake empire.


I'll also post this little bit of music by one of the most underappreciated bands of old (lolol disco), namely the Bee Gees' holiday (from the album "1st")
Only the dead have seen the end of war
tab420
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada42 Posts
August 19 2011 08:21 GMT
#436
rebecca black friday jk jk house of the rising sun by the animals

+ Show Spoiler +
Mobius_1
Profile Blog Joined April 2011
United Kingdom2763 Posts
August 19 2011 08:33 GMT
#437
Music is such a personal thing. My personal song is ”寂寞寂寞就好“ by 田馥甄 (Hebe Tian), such a heart-wrenching piece teeming with sadness and somewhat morbid (slightly dark-humourous) lyrics.

No Youtube where I am, sorry.

PS, whoever suggested Olivia Ong, kudos to you! Her voice is incredible. (And yes, I am Chinese and therefore biased, ^_^)
Starleague Forever. RIP KT Violet~
Kurr
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
Canada2338 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-08-20 00:10:40
August 20 2011 00:08 GMT
#438
This song gives me chills all over my body every single time I listen to it, even after listening to it over 100 times. The last 2-3 minutes of the song after listening to the whole thing is amazing and I get chills throughout the whole second half of the song.
+ Show Spoiler +



Based on the Wheel of Time books. Helps to know what they are about to understand the lyrics but honestly I think the song is even better than the books (not that I don't like the books, but they don't give me nerds chills like this song does).

*edit : I feel it's a type of music that's pretty open overall which is why I posted it btw. Not really heavy even if it is metal.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻ | ┻━┻ ︵╰(°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
TheAngelofDeath
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2033 Posts
August 20 2011 03:16 GMT
#439
This song. Without a doubt, I can listen to it constantly, and never stop. Even if you hate metal and BFMV and everything in that genre, this song is simply beautiful. Should be heard by all. It is just fantastic. Enjoy.

"Infestors are the suck" - LzGamer
B-Roll
Profile Blog Joined March 2008
United States403 Posts
August 20 2011 03:20 GMT
#440
Amazing Song Bright Eye - Road to Joy

Prev 1 20 21 22 23 24 35 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 5m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Nathanias 117
Nina 86
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 973
GuemChi 645
Artosis 614
910 37
MaD[AoV]25
Bale 15
League of Legends
JimRising 684
Counter-Strike
minikerr12
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox615
Other Games
summit1g8633
Day[9].tv557
shahzam512
C9.Mang0363
Trikslyr49
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick598
BasetradeTV189
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream23
[ Show 13 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta28
• Letter143
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie867
• Shiphtur692
• Day9tv557
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
5m
Patches Events
16h 5m
The PondCast
1d 10h
INu's Battles
1d 11h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 22h
Replay Cast
1d 23h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.