• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 06:01
CEST 12:01
KST 19:01
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup5StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)66Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)
Tourneys
Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Bot on ladder Sagi.gg Launcher Released BSL Season 23 BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11728 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 192

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 190 191 192 193 194 244 Next
Liszt
Profile Joined August 2012
Austria86 Posts
September 12 2012 06:39 GMT
#3821
Any recommendations for a sturdy headset without a mic for no more than $100. It'll mostly be for gaming and casually listening to music. I want something that is durable and solid feeling that has okay to decent sound quality. I'm not an audiophile

I was also wondering about sizing. I'm probably going to be buying this online and I want to be sure that it will fit okay. I have a rather large head, not abnormally large or anything, but probably a little bigger than average. Are there any guidelines or sizing charts that I could follow to make sure I don't get anything to small? (or possible anything to big)

Gerbeeros
Profile Joined May 2010
101 Posts
September 12 2012 08:42 GMT
#3822
So ive been using AKG hd 242:s for 2 weeks now and im quite happy with them. Im driving them from my PC:s integrated audio chip (realtek alc889, which is fairly new audio chip). I cant hear no humming or buzzing at all and music seems detailed enough. I can play my cans in twice the volume i can take, so im not running out of juice either.

Now im wondering if a dedicated audio card would make much difference, especially a low budget one like xonar DG, or do i have to cough a lot more cash if i want noticeable difference. From what little ive read many seem to suggest that low budget soundcards mostly are for if you have audible problems with your modern integrated chip (like buzzing or humming)

I have never owned dedicated soundcard, so i just dont know. Whats your experiences on the matter, do you think it would benefit me to buy low end dedicated card ?
Sea_Food
Profile Blog Joined May 2011
Finland1612 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-12 16:43:08
September 12 2012 16:42 GMT
#3823
Guys I want to buy headphones that are aprox the same size as beats by dr dre solo.
I want the headphones to have a mic, not something that comes from ear to infront of mouth, I also want to use the headphones outside, and that would look retarded. It should be something like in beats by dr dre, where it is in the wire.
Also I tend to be really good at braking things, so I want the headphones to be very durable, like beats by dr dre are.
The price should be about 175€ which is the cost of beats by dr dre in my local shop.

My friend who has beats by dr dre, says that I should also buy them, but I heard many people in internet say that if I buy them I am a "loserfag follower willing to pay 5 times the price a product is worth because its branded by a rapper moneyhog," although not with good reasoning why or alternative suggestions.

Does Headphone enthusiast thread! have suggestions what headphone should I buy?
JSH
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
United States4109 Posts
September 12 2012 23:33 GMT
#3824
So I'm thinking of replacing the jack on my Yuin PK2, but I heard that on like thin cables, it's really hard to recable it, because it has like paint covering or something, and you have to burn it off which isn't advisable.
Should I go ahead and try anyways?

@Sea_Food

It's hard to find good headphones with an attached mike that doesn't cost a lot
Look into getting a clip on mike or a desk mike or something instead!

As for something that's shaped like the Beats, mayeb something like this:
http://www.amazon.com/AKG-Limited-Edition-Folding-Headphones/dp/B0028N78D4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1347492765&sr=8-2&keywords=akg k81\

Or you can go with the ever so popular ATH M50
"It's called a miracle because it doesn't happen" - Just like my chances of reaching C- on ICCUP
Womwomwom
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
5930 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-13 01:50:51
September 13 2012 01:23 GMT
#3825
Yeah that's the way to go if you want to look like an idiot in public. Not to mention it probably doesn't work with a mobile phone.

A good option, which should be priced similarly, would be the V-Moda Crossfade M-80. Built well, actually sounds good, and has that "lifestyle" brand look. Another expensive option would be the B&W P5s and they're probably more expensive than the Beats. A much cheaper option would be the classic Koss Porta Pro.

There are a few other options like the Klipsch Image ONE but Klipsch has always been a bit polarizing with their audio products. So don't buy these blind!

Edit:

On September 13 2012 01:42 Sea_Food wrote:
My friend who has beats by dr dre, says that I should also buy them, but I heard many people in internet say that if I buy them I am a "loserfag follower willing to pay 5 times the price a product is worth because its branded by a rapper moneyhog," although not with good reasoning why or alternative suggestions.


The issue with Beats Audio is that they just don't sound very good. There's no reason to get a pair of headphones if they don't sound good right?

Expensive lifestyle products often get nerds upset and often people just parrot what they hear without understanding so I'm not surprised that they didn't give you a good reason for not getting them. But there are good reasons for avoiding the Beats Audio headphones: they are headphones that don't sound very good.

Here is a fairly good review of the Beats Solo with some scientific reasoning.
Rollin
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia1552 Posts
September 13 2012 16:35 GMT
#3826
On September 13 2012 10:23 Womwomwom wrote:
Yeah that's the way to go if you want to look like an idiot in public. Not to mention it probably doesn't work with a mobile phone.

A good option, which should be priced similarly, would be the V-Moda Crossfade M-80. Built well, actually sounds good, and has that "lifestyle" brand look. Another expensive option would be the B&W P5s and they're probably more expensive than the Beats. A much cheaper option would be the classic Koss Porta Pro.

There are a few other options like the Klipsch Image ONE but Klipsch has always been a bit polarizing with their audio products. So don't buy these blind!

Edit:

Show nested quote +
On September 13 2012 01:42 Sea_Food wrote:
My friend who has beats by dr dre, says that I should also buy them, but I heard many people in internet say that if I buy them I am a "loserfag follower willing to pay 5 times the price a product is worth because its branded by a rapper moneyhog," although not with good reasoning why or alternative suggestions.


The issue with Beats Audio is that they just don't sound very good. There's no reason to get a pair of headphones if they don't sound good right?

Expensive lifestyle products often get nerds upset and often people just parrot what they hear without understanding so I'm not surprised that they didn't give you a good reason for not getting them. But there are good reasons for avoiding the Beats Audio headphones: they are headphones that don't sound very good.

Here is a fairly good review of the Beats Solo with some scientific reasoning.

Yeah, that was a great review showcasing the horrible, horrible frequency response of the headphones, and don't get me started on how great the video was. I've showed it to others on occasion and they found it hilarious too .
Throw off those chains of reason, and your prison disappears. | Check your posting frequency timeline: http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/post_activity_img.php
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
September 13 2012 17:59 GMT
#3827
Recently my crappy skull candy in-ear headphones have died, giving me an excuse to get a decent pair of in-ear headphones.

any suggestions? Budget is pretty much around 40-60 dollars, maybe more, if people think it's worth the price increase.
liftlift > tsm
Rollin
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia1552 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-13 18:07:51
September 13 2012 18:07 GMT
#3828
On September 14 2012 02:59 wei2coolman wrote:
Recently my crappy skull candy in-ear headphones have died, giving me an excuse to get a decent pair of in-ear headphones.

any suggestions? Budget is pretty much around 40-60 dollars, maybe more, if people think it's worth the price increase.

Pl-30 or pl-50 are regarded fairly highly as being quite balanced and rather analytical in sound, provided you have a decent source.

I think there are some new ones from jvc released this year that are really good, maybe starting at the $60 mark, or I may be mis-remembering/confused.

EDIT: WTF hydra now... I miss my ling haha.
Throw off those chains of reason, and your prison disappears. | Check your posting frequency timeline: http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/post_activity_img.php
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-13 18:49:23
September 13 2012 18:08 GMT
#3829
On September 14 2012 03:07 Rollin wrote:
Show nested quote +
On September 14 2012 02:59 wei2coolman wrote:
Recently my crappy skull candy in-ear headphones have died, giving me an excuse to get a decent pair of in-ear headphones.

any suggestions? Budget is pretty much around 40-60 dollars, maybe more, if people think it's worth the price increase.

Pl-30 or pl-50 are regarded fairly highly as being quite balanced and rather analytical in sound, provided you have a decent source.

I think there are some new ones from jvc released this year that are really good, maybe starting at the $60 mark, or I may be mis-remembering/confused.

EDIT: WTF hydra now... I miss my ling haha.

Do you know the series name for the new JVC line?

hmm looked into pl30 and pl50's, i heard soundmagic's e line is better though, and still in my price range. should i go for the e10's and 30's then?

EDIT: Thanks for the help guiz, decided to go with Soundmagic e10's. Not a huge audiophile, but I'll be sure to post a review of them when they shipped in.
liftlift > tsm
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-14 23:39:38
September 14 2012 23:12 GMT
#3830
Sweet baby jesus, just got my SoundMAGIC E10 already! Amazon prime's 2 day shipping = 1 day shipping, I guess? Whatever, I'm not complaining.

Price: $35 bucks.
Comes with the head phones, a variety of rubber eartips, cableclip, and travel pouch.

Initial thoughts (no burn in):
Bass heavy, but not the bass heavy problem cheap headphones have, where everything is a blatant WUBBBBBB. The bass is deep, and rich as well, very well defined. Mid tones are well represented, but not as clear as I would've liked, but they're by no way "muddled". The lack of mid tone representation might be due to the strong bass? I don't really listen to the Biebs, so I have no idea how the hightones sound like on these, I'll update this when I do.

Build quality: is very solid, the buds are full metal, aluminum I think? Feels very solid, but not heavy. Plastic/rubberish cable cover, which is really nice, cloth covers tend to transfer "thuds" everytime they hit something. They reinforced the "y" of the cable, where it splits, a common vulnerability with iem.
Noise isolation is average for the price range, probably the right range you want for everyday use though.

EDIT:I should probably add, it has product verification, so you can make sure you have an authentic pair. Though at a $35 dollar pricerange, this shouldn't be an issue. But during my search for iem, I was considering getting Klipsch s4, but they're notorious for having fakes, so I did avoid buying them. So small things like this is pretty important.
liftlift > tsm
Alabasern
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States4005 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-15 05:33:47
September 15 2012 02:32 GMT
#3831
Just got a Sony MDR-XB500 for $55, it's a basshead budget headphone that simply destroys Dre Beats that are $200-$300. When I listened to Beats in several retailers they are too heavy and have a terrible muddy sound.
Support your esport!
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
September 15 2012 07:22 GMT
#3832
On September 15 2012 11:32 Alabasern wrote:
Just got a Sony MDR-XB500 for $55, it's a basshead budget headphone that simply destroys Dre Beats that are $200-$300. When I listened to Beats in several retailers they are too heavy and have a terrible muddy sound.

Nice buy bro! Did you ever check out V-modas? I remember like 6-8 months ago newegg were having V-moda on-ears on sale for like 80 bucks, dunno what the price is now, but I remember it got some sick reviews.



Also, adding onto my previous post. A friend of mine got me Sony Replacement Hybrid Earbuds for my SoundMAGIC E10's. They work'd fucking wonders. Midtones are a little brighter, however the greatest improvement was the improved noise isolation, the original buds had mediocre noise isolation. With the new buds, almost no environment noises reach my ears.
liftlift > tsm
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-09-15 12:44:57
September 15 2012 12:33 GMT
#3833
Okay, I come to you guys with another question. I'm looking for a portable headphone amp to go with my Zune, any suggestions?
Budget anything lower than 30 bucks. Looking into Fiio e3.
EDIT: alright, decided to go with fiio e6, after looking at some reviews for cheap portable amps. review will be up when I receive it!
liftlift > tsm
Rollin
Profile Joined March 2011
Australia1552 Posts
September 15 2012 14:52 GMT
#3834
On September 15 2012 08:12 wei2coolman wrote:
Sweet baby jesus, just got my SoundMAGIC E10 already! Amazon prime's 2 day shipping = 1 day shipping, I guess? Whatever, I'm not complaining.

Price: $35 bucks.
Comes with the head phones, a variety of rubber eartips, cableclip, and travel pouch.

Initial thoughts (no burn in):
Bass heavy, but not the bass heavy problem cheap headphones have, where everything is a blatant WUBBBBBB. The bass is deep, and rich as well, very well defined. Mid tones are well represented, but not as clear as I would've liked, but they're by no way "muddled". The lack of mid tone representation might be due to the strong bass? I don't really listen to the Biebs, so I have no idea how the hightones sound like on these, I'll update this when I do.

Build quality: is very solid, the buds are full metal, aluminum I think? Feels very solid, but not heavy. Plastic/rubberish cable cover, which is really nice, cloth covers tend to transfer "thuds" everytime they hit something. They reinforced the "y" of the cable, where it splits, a common vulnerability with iem.
Noise isolation is average for the price range, probably the right range you want for everyday use though.

EDIT:I should probably add, it has product verification, so you can make sure you have an authentic pair. Though at a $35 dollar pricerange, this shouldn't be an issue. But during my search for iem, I was considering getting Klipsch s4, but they're notorious for having fakes, so I did avoid buying them. So small things like this is pretty important.

Mmmm, the pl-30/50 are know for a more midcentric sound, with the bass certainly being on the backburner but with a lot of extension and clarity. I think the highs are where they fall down the most, rather boring imo. Thanks for the thoughts.
Throw off those chains of reason, and your prison disappears. | Check your posting frequency timeline: http://www.teamliquid.net/mytlnet/post_activity_img.php
Az0r_au
Profile Joined August 2010
Australia385 Posts
September 15 2012 22:52 GMT
#3835
Greetings friends! I'm in the market for a new soundcard. Price range of 80-100$ but willing to spend more if the money is worth it. I mostly listen to Hard Trance and Metal and I play a mixture of games from RTS to FPS to MMO. Priorities on having great sounding music > features for gaming. Oh I'm currently using Audio Technica m50's if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help.
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
September 16 2012 04:08 GMT
#3836
On September 16 2012 07:52 Az0r_au wrote:
Greetings friends! I'm in the market for a new soundcard. Price range of 80-100$ but willing to spend more if the money is worth it. I mostly listen to Hard Trance and Metal and I play a mixture of games from RTS to FPS to MMO. Priorities on having great sounding music > features for gaming. Oh I'm currently using Audio Technica m50's if that makes any difference. Thanks for the help.

You probably don't need to spend that much on a sound card. You should be able to find a solid sound card for around 50 bucks.
liftlift > tsm
Tactical
Profile Joined January 2011
United States77 Posts
September 16 2012 08:56 GMT
#3837
Sup, I own a pair of Koss MV1's but they're really fragile, and just through normal use the plastic hinge has broken on me twice now. I love that Koss has their lifetime warranty but I'd rather just replace it with something a bit more sturdy.

Recently I've been trying a few different headsets but havent really found one I like. I've used the roccat kave, gamescom/plantronics set, and a few cheap pairs. Does anyone have any recommendations for something about equivelant or better sound quality than the Mv1's but built a bit more sturdy without breaking my bank too much?

Also side question, what are your guys' impressions on the razer kraken which should be shipped out later this month? I like razer's mice, but other than design, I've found all their other products to be pretty substandard in quality so far.
wei2coolman
Profile Joined November 2010
United States60033 Posts
September 16 2012 09:04 GMT
#3838
As far as Razer products overall, I've owned several mouses and a keyboard from them. General consensus is, they work great when they work, but they break pretty quickly (expect to replace in a year or two).
liftlift > tsm
EndofCreation
Profile Joined May 2012
85 Posts
September 16 2012 19:04 GMT
#3839
Im looking for the best headphones that 300$ or so will buy. I want to use the headphones for almost entirely music on the go, ie working out on the bus doing homework etc. I mostly listen to music that gets you into a intense mood, and really hoping someone can recommend me one :D i was thinking of buying beats but i always hear that there a better headphones that cost less and want to hear your suggestions! feel free to pm me
EndofCreation
Profile Joined May 2012
85 Posts
September 16 2012 19:24 GMT
#3840
I was thinking Skullcandy Roc Nation Aviators to buy for about 200$ i hear many good things about it!
Prev 1 190 191 192 193 194 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Sparkling Tuna Cup
19:00
Weekly #149 (SHIN Mod Edition)
CranKy Ducklings19
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
Shuttle 7474
Hyuk 554
Horang2 538
BeSt 464
Stork 167
sorry 99
Pusan 95
Shinee 81
Killer 80
Hyun 65
[ Show more ]
ggaemo 60
Mind 56
Bonyth 51
Snow 47
Bale 37
Hm[arnc] 32
JYJ 22
PianO 22
Sacsri 16
Noble 6
Dota 2
XcaliburYe23
League of Legends
JimRising 493
Other Games
gofns28931
singsing2077
Mew2King71
ArmadaUGS70
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick709
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream153
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 59
• Adnapsc2 22
• CranKy Ducklings SOOP11
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Michael_bg 7
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2299
League of Legends
• Lourlo1282
Upcoming Events
INu's Battles
1h 59m
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
Shopify Rebellion Sundays
4h 59m
MilkiCow vs TBD
Clem vs TBD
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 59m
BSL Open Qualifier
8h 59m
Replay Cast
12h 59m
Afreeca Starleague
23h 59m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
1d
Monday Night Weeklies
1d 5h
Replay Cast
1d 12h
Afreeca Starleague
1d 23h
Soma vs Soulkey
[ Show More ]
INu's Battles
2 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
6 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
Copium Cup
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Disclosure: This page contains affiliate marketing links that support TLnet.

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.