• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:56
CEST 22:56
KST 05:56
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon111
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double Recent Patches and the Future Stellar Fest 1 Replay Pack
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing Where can I find Flash replays that work? Official StarCraft website teases new content ahead of BlizzCon? BW General Discussion
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero Nintendo Switch Thread
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
Violent-Cooperative Play and…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8332 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 177

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 175 176 177 178 179 244 Next
Agarvaen
Profile Joined February 2011
Poland16 Posts
June 16 2012 23:27 GMT
#3521
Does sound quality of headphones degrade in time or in other words how long would a pair of mid range cans (300$) last, assuming they would be used 6h / day ?
DERPDERP
Profile Joined October 2010
Kyrgyzstan189 Posts
June 16 2012 23:52 GMT
#3522
On June 17 2012 08:27 Agarvaen wrote:
Does sound quality of headphones degrade in time or in other words how long would a pair of mid range cans (300$) last, assuming they would be used 6h / day ?


As far as I know they sound only gets better, at least when comparing new and used headphones.. Sorta like running in a new car :D
8)
QuoC
Profile Blog Joined August 2008
United States724 Posts
June 17 2012 02:17 GMT
#3523
headphone noob here.
looking for a headset that has really nice bass but can still maintain clean sound (meaning I don't want my headphones rattling with bass and unable to hear the lyrics to a song). I listen to trance, rap/hip-hop. Budget is $350.. was going to go with Beats Pro by Dre, but I thought I'd give this a chance. Thread looks promising.

Thanks so much guys, any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
Dario "TLO" Wünsch -- Favorite SC2 Player
QuackPocketDuck
Profile Joined January 2011
410 Posts
June 17 2012 02:35 GMT
#3524
On June 17 2012 11:17 QuoC wrote:
headphone noob here.
looking for a headset that has really nice bass but can still maintain clean sound (meaning I don't want my headphones rattling with bass and unable to hear the lyrics to a song). I listen to trance, rap/hip-hop. Budget is $350.. was going to go with Beats Pro by Dre, but I thought I'd give this a chance. Thread looks promising.

Thanks so much guys, any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!


Awesome start budget guessing your second pair of headphones will be around at $1k mark! you are on the right track :D
I suggest looking at studio monitoring / hi fi closed back set of headphones, you naturally get more bass on closed back design (trying to not be bias towards certains brands)

Not getting Beats is a good idea, if you dont trust all the flame wars over Beats headphones on online hi fi forums
Just compare their specs to any normal audio brand headphone in the same price range and usually Beats loose..

You might want to have a better look in this thread aswell as theres a fair bit of information in regards to amps and dacs.

GLHF

btw we need a Monitors thread :p
I bought a pack of cigarettes for $20, What have you done for your country today?
Aerisky
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States12129 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-17 02:55:11
June 17 2012 02:55 GMT
#3525
On June 17 2012 08:52 DERPDERP wrote:
Show nested quote +
On June 17 2012 08:27 Agarvaen wrote:
Does sound quality of headphones degrade in time or in other words how long would a pair of mid range cans (300$) last, assuming they would be used 6h / day ?


As far as I know they sound only gets better, at least when comparing new and used headphones.. Sorta like running in a new car :D

Yeah, my understanding is that you have to "burn-in" your headphones which takes something like 40-50 hours? Though at some point I suppose the headphones will die, but I'm not sure about their true life span (not counting catastrophic damage ;; ).
Jim while Johnny had had had had had had had; had had had had the better effect on the teacher.
GarethGore
Profile Joined June 2012
United Kingdom59 Posts
June 17 2012 10:39 GMT
#3526
Lol there should be a option for both owning gaming headphones + mid range branded headphones seperately too. I have 3 pairs of skullriders, two over ear ones including a pair of red lowriders and one in ear headphones. But i also own a pair of turtle beach x11s for gaming
starstern
Profile Joined June 2012
5 Posts
June 17 2012 17:57 GMT
#3527
the dt880 is the cream of the crop to many ,but needs amps ,and been told ,amps source mattares whether warmer or colder sound quality ,i narrowed it down to the two top high end amps headroomamps and fiio e17 ,just waiting to hear someone who actually experienced both to tell what difference had expirienced ?
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
June 18 2012 11:08 GMT
#3528
On June 18 2012 02:57 starstern wrote:
the dt880 is the cream of the crop to many ,but needs amps ,and been told ,amps source mattares whether warmer or colder sound quality ,i narrowed it down to the two top high end amps headroomamps and fiio e17 ,just waiting to hear someone who actually experienced both to tell what difference had expirienced ?



The FiiO E17 cannot drive the DT880. Well, it depends on the impedance of the version that you pick. The 600 Ohm version has been established to have the best sound. You would need a desktop amplifier to get the best sound. Most amplifiers below 1000 USD will not be very transparent and add hints of coloration but I doubt you're looking for that sort of fidelity.

I recommend the E7 and E9 combo. The E9i also can function as a iPod dock. Remember the 1/8th rule. Always make sure the output impedance of the headphone amplifier is at the LEAST 1/8th the impedance of the headphone.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
June 18 2012 17:21 GMT
#3529
Hm...

When you carefully level-match two different amplifiers** to the same volume and don't let people know which of the two they're listening to, the differences start disappearing. Translation: a lot of it is just in peoples' heads, because they expect to hear a certain something. There's a lot of money to be made by convincing people they need something better or different. For many reasons, I would be very careful in reading any kind of amp / DAC / whatever audio review.

**with low enough noise floor, low enough output impedance for the headphones, flat enough frequency response when running the headphones, low enough distortion when running the headphones, enough power for the headphones, etc.—for many expensive headphones, even some amps under $100 probably qualify. The requirements for different headphones would be different, and for many, the 1/8th (1/10th? 1/4th?) impedance rule probably isn't even important. Granted, for some headphones, many may legitimately prefer using an amp that doesn't satisfy those requirements.

E7/E9 can be docked together, but it's technically (electrically) somewhat inferior to E10 with E9. For a lot of headphones, you can just cut out the E9 too. If you don't listen kind of loud on quietly-recorded music, you can probably just get away with using E10 with DT880 250 ohms version. Those kinds of solid-state electronics tend to sound just fine until right before the clipping point, so don't be scared of running the volume knob high. E17 can be used as a portable amp and has some EQ controls, but for desktop use I'm not sure if it is actually better (probably not worse would be my guess).
slytown
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Korea (South)1411 Posts
June 18 2012 17:27 GMT
#3530
ChiUniFi 6 meet impressions thread from last weekend. Check it out. Amazing stuff I got a chance to listen to.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614720/chiunifi-6-meet-impressions-thread

[image loading]

[image loading]

The best Flash meme ever: http://imgur.com/zquoK
BleaK_
Profile Joined November 2010
Norway593 Posts
June 18 2012 17:31 GMT
#3531
On June 17 2012 11:17 QuoC wrote:
headphone noob here.
looking for a headset that has really nice bass but can still maintain clean sound (meaning I don't want my headphones rattling with bass and unable to hear the lyrics to a song). I listen to trance, rap/hip-hop. Budget is $350.. was going to go with Beats Pro by Dre, but I thought I'd give this a chance. Thread looks promising.

Thanks so much guys, any advice/recommendations would be greatly appreciated!


Get the Denon 2000 and a dac/amp (like fiio e10) and you are set for a long long time.
fatfail
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States386 Posts
June 18 2012 17:43 GMT
#3532
What do you guys do when the cable housing peels at the jack? It stills works fine,but the wires are exposed and it looks pretty scary. Heat shrink?
Kong fan... <3 Stork <3 Jangbi <3 Yellow <3 Fantasy
starstern
Profile Joined June 2012
5 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-18 20:03:18
June 18 2012 19:35 GMT
#3533
starstern
Profile Joined June 2012
5 Posts
June 18 2012 20:10 GMT
#3534
[QUOTE]On June 18 2012 20:08 kineSiS- wrote:
[QUOTE]On June 18 2012 02:57 starstern wrote:
the dt880 is the cream of the crop to many ,but needs amps ,and been told ,amps source mattares whether warmer or colder sound quality ,i narrowed it down to the two top high end amps headroomamps and fiio e17 ,just waiting to hear someone who actually experienced both to tell what difference had expirienced ?[/QUOTE]


The FiiO E17 cannot drive the DT880. Well, it depends on the impedance of the version that you pick. The 600 Ohm version has been established to have the best sound. You would need a desktop amplifier to get the best sound. Most amplifiers below 1000 USD will not be very transparent and add hints of coloration but I doubt you're looking for that sort of fidelity.

am getting the 250ohms version
VirtuallyJesse
Profile Joined February 2011
United States398 Posts
June 18 2012 21:06 GMT
#3535
Anyone bought refurbished headphones before? Been eyeing this, HD 598 for $180 after shipping. They are listed as an official retailer so it's covered under warrenty but I dunno, I've never spent this much on headphones before so it kinda makes me nervous. Worth the price (risk?)
kineSiS-
Profile Blog Joined September 2009
Korea (South)1068 Posts
June 19 2012 09:03 GMT
#3536
On June 19 2012 02:27 slytown wrote:
ChiUniFi 6 meet impressions thread from last weekend. Check it out. Amazing stuff I got a chance to listen to.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/614720/chiunifi-6-meet-impressions-thread






WORST TIME TO GO TO KOREA!
Bambipwnsu
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada698 Posts
June 20 2012 03:22 GMT
#3537
I know this is fairly off-topic for an audiophile headphone thread, but i'm fairly certain some of you might have some recommendations that would be quite handy. I'm looking for some in-ear headphones I can use in the gym, preferably under 20$ that I can order off amazon that I would be better off using rather than just buying some 10$ skull candies at the local best buy. What do you guys use for outdoors / (not many fucks given) situations?
LoL @ NA: bambipwnsu
decafchicken
Profile Blog Joined January 2005
United States20168 Posts
June 20 2012 03:27 GMT
#3538
I use sennheiser cx200 or cx300 (dont remember which) for the gym. got em for like 15$ shipped. Pretty durable and solid sound for something you don't need to worry too much about.
how reasonable is it to eat off wood instead of your tummy?
Bambipwnsu
Profile Blog Joined November 2010
Canada698 Posts
Last Edited: 2012-06-20 04:09:14
June 20 2012 04:07 GMT
#3539
On June 20 2012 12:27 decafchicken wrote:
I use sennheiser cx200 or cx300 (dont remember which) for the gym. got em for like 15$ shipped. Pretty durable and solid sound for something you don't need to worry too much about.


Thank you, i see it's probably the cx200 which I think the lowest price is around 19$ which isn't too shabby. Definitely considering those as part of the purchase.

For a main set of IEM's at just under 100$ i'm looking at either RE0 or brainwavz m3...and I have a hard time deciding between the two now. I like all kinds of music and I do enjoy some house music from time to time. From what i've read the RE0 are pretty bass-light, so I might be better suited off with something more well rounded. Any insight?

edit: I do value sturdiness and durability since I tend to break headphones quite fast...
LoL @ NA: bambipwnsu
fatfail
Profile Blog Joined December 2010
United States386 Posts
June 20 2012 05:09 GMT
#3540
On June 20 2012 12:27 decafchicken wrote:
I use sennheiser cx200 or cx300 (dont remember which) for the gym. got em for like 15$ shipped. Pretty durable and solid sound for something you don't need to worry too much about.


Hey I've been using cx200's for 3 years now. I bought them for 25. Despite the fact the jack looks like it is in terrible condition, the sennheiser stickers have fallen off, and the entire thing looks disgusting and horrible, the sound remains good and it functions well. I've been considered upgrading to cx300.
Kong fan... <3 Stork <3 Jangbi <3 Yellow <3 Fantasy
Prev 1 175 176 177 178 179 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 1
SteadfastSC511
EnkiAlexander 83
LiquipediaDiscussion
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 520
ZombieGrub137
JuggernautJason84
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21390
Soulkey 271
White-Ra 194
Mini 165
Trap 28
ToSsGirL 23
Shine 14
League of Legends
Doublelift2483
Counter-Strike
fl0m1126
shoxiejesuss528
C9.Mang0145
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby3722
Khaldor2443
Liquid`Hasu1582
Trikslyr40
Other Games
summit1g2834
ArmadaUGS2401
B2W.Neo471
shahzam454
Pyrionflax186
Mew2King57
Railgan22
Organizations
Other Games
BasetradeTV210
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream87
[ Show 18 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• intothetv
• musti20045 0
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 54
• Azhi_Dahaki30
• HerbMon 3
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV410
League of Legends
• TFBlade959
• Noizen119
Other Games
• Scarra1200
• imaqtpie1088
• Shiphtur259
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
13h 5m
OSC
16h 5m
Stellar Fest
16h 5m
OSC
1d 3h
Stellar Fest
1d 16h
CranKy Ducklings
2 days
Online Event
2 days
FEL
2 days
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
[ Show More ]
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
Replay Cast
5 days
INu's Battles
5 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-27
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual
Stake Ranked Episode 3

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.