• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 18:45
CEST 00:45
KST 07:45
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202610Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ BW General Discussion GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November]
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8903 users

Headphone enthusiast thread! - Page 126

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 124 125 126 127 128 244 Next
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
December 26 2011 18:45 GMT
#2501
Well I just started using my HD650's and I can say I'm sold... Now MP3's don't cut it and I need everything in FLAC.

Can't believe it took me this long to get them :D
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
attwell
Profile Joined July 2011
United States220 Posts
December 26 2011 18:58 GMT
#2502
I got some Klipsch Image Ones not too long ago, and I'm quite impressed with them. For $150 they definitely have great fidelity, but the super low-end doesn't always come through so clearly.

And yeah making the switch from mp3 to raw quality was definitely a necessity after I upgraded.
Juddas
Profile Joined January 2011
768 Posts
December 26 2011 19:01 GMT
#2503
Well i love you guys. For Christmas my mom got me the DT 770s Pro 80, and they are amazing. An entirely different experience from my 555's, and they are just fantastic. SO comfortable and I love the pads around the ears.

Thanks for the rec! I might put up a few pics and a quick review in a little while.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
December 26 2011 19:11 GMT
#2504
On December 27 2011 03:45 Djzapz wrote:
Well I just started using my HD650's and I can say I'm sold... Now MP3's don't cut it and I need everything in FLAC.

Can't believe it took me this long to get them :D


I don't know...modern lossy encoding is pretty good, even for mp3. At high bitrates there's often no discernible difference, and if there is one that can be detected if you're concentrating really hard to pick it up, it's more like "different" rather than "worse."

But it varies from person to person. I recommend you take some CDs (or FLACs) and transcode to mp3 with LAME 3.98 or newer encoder at variable bitrate -V0 quality (~240 kbps depending on the music) and listen for yourself. Foobar ABX plugin is useful for managing blind comparisons between two files. You'd just select the original lossless version and the mp3 version, right click, and set it up.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-26 19:30:02
December 26 2011 19:26 GMT
#2505
On December 27 2011 04:11 Myrmidon wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2011 03:45 Djzapz wrote:
Well I just started using my HD650's and I can say I'm sold... Now MP3's don't cut it and I need everything in FLAC.

Can't believe it took me this long to get them :D


I don't know...modern lossy encoding is pretty good, even for mp3. At high bitrates there's often no discernible difference, and if there is one that can be detected if you're concentrating really hard to pick it up, it's more like "different" rather than "worse."

But it varies from person to person. I recommend you take some CDs (or FLACs) and transcode to mp3 with LAME 3.98 or newer encoder at variable bitrate -V0 quality (~240 kbps depending on the music) and listen for yourself. Foobar ABX plugin is useful for managing blind comparisons between two files. You'd just select the original lossless version and the mp3 version, right click, and set it up.

Well most of my MP3's are at a solid 128 to 192kbps and I can hear the difference between those and 320kbps files or FLAC's.

I'll just be looking for higher quality stuff.. Hell I even have some 64kbps stuff in there.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
December 26 2011 19:35 GMT
#2506
Oh, well if you're not ripping it yourself, then there's no telling where it came from. Especially if it's transcoded more than once (like to YouTube), then the quality really really drops. Some may be old rips, using poor encoders.

I would say modern ~192 kbps is generally pretty good...except when it's not.


At least with older versions of Foobar, you put the .dll in the components subdirectory under Foobar. That's somewhat non-intuitive, so I think there's a better mechanism than that these days that can be used, to "install" it.
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
December 26 2011 19:57 GMT
#2507
I know Youtube isn't much of a reference in terms of sound quality

Anyway I got that plugin thing working (I didn't have the main software!) That's cool, I thought it would analyze it but it's actually a test to see if I can hear the difference. Looks like I pretty much get it every time at 128kbps and below and 192kbps is close enough to the FLAC that I have a harder time.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
isparavanje
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
62 Posts
December 26 2011 20:05 GMT
#2508
Personally with my K701s I can tell between flac and mp3 up to V1 vbr on lame. This is with abx by the way.
Myrmidon
Profile Blog Joined December 2004
United States9452 Posts
December 26 2011 20:45 GMT
#2509
Well there's different software and tools if you want to analyze the differences in the waveforms. You can open up both in Audacity (free music recorder/editor), for example. It's pretty clear there are small changes, when you look at the actual values sample by sample, and particularly if you plot the spectrum.

Likewise around V2/V1/V0 vbr is about where I start to have big trouble telling them apart. It really depends on the music though. I mean, there's a certain point where you can tell it apart, but I don't think that that difference would bother you in everyday listening. Surely nobody's going to suffer terribly if all their FLAC turn into V0 quality? Maybe other people are different though; certainly I don't have the best hearing around.
isparavanje
Profile Blog Joined July 2011
62 Posts
December 26 2011 20:52 GMT
#2510
I think I wouldn't even mine V3. I mean, I can tell apart V1 and flac when actually comparing, but if I'm just given one sample and asked if its lossy, I won't know. Its all about the music, and even V2/3 doesn't really affect how I enjoy my music.
Apolo
Profile Joined May 2010
Portugal1259 Posts
December 26 2011 21:13 GMT
#2511
RE0 for in-ear, HD555 as normal. Couldn't be happier. :D
Djzapz
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Canada10681 Posts
December 26 2011 21:58 GMT
#2512
I can hear the difference between 192kbps and FLAC quite clearly for some stuff - it's fairly easy with In Flames stuff.
"My incompetence with power tools had been increasing exponentially over the course of 20 years spent inhaling experimental oven cleaners"
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
December 27 2011 03:29 GMT
#2513
Blegh.

So I think my ATH-M50 is dying or something. which is a shame since I've only had it for a year and a half now? Dunno -- it's just weird that when I listen to it things sound different (or I just have a cold or something). Either way, I think I def need to get a second pair now.

As before I've been debating between LCD-2 and some other high but not quite that high end.

Anyway something I'm worried about now: I remember trying Alessandro MS-1 before getting ATH-M50 and I remember the highs from the MS-1 really getting to the level where it sounded like screeches to me. I'm wondering if this is something I should expect from higher end headphones because people either told me 1) i have sensitive ears, 2) "it's part of the grados sound" and they get used to it. I'm curious if anything with "detailed highs" like that would sound like screech to me.

Also is there any place in NYC/Boston where I can go to try out high end headphones? D:
FirstProbe
Profile Joined June 2004
1206 Posts
December 27 2011 03:32 GMT
#2514
On December 27 2011 12:29 Milkis wrote:

As before I've been debating between LCD-2 and some other high but not quite that high end.



Please try out the LCD-3 and let us know how it sounds!
RusHXceL
Profile Joined August 2010
United States1004 Posts
December 27 2011 03:33 GMT
#2515
I own sony headphones
TeaGreen
Profile Joined October 2010
Canada147 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-27 03:43:08
December 27 2011 03:42 GMT
#2516
On December 27 2011 12:29 Milkis wrote:
Blegh.

So I think my ATH-M50 is dying or something. which is a shame since I've only had it for a year and a half now? Dunno -- it's just weird that when I listen to it things sound different (or I just have a cold or something). Either way, I think I def need to get a second pair now.

As before I've been debating between LCD-2 and some other high but not quite that high end.

Anyway something I'm worried about now: I remember trying Alessandro MS-1 before getting ATH-M50 and I remember the highs from the MS-1 really getting to the level where it sounded like screeches to me. I'm wondering if this is something I should expect from higher end headphones because people either told me 1) i have sensitive ears, 2) "it's part of the grados sound" and they get used to it. I'm curious if anything with "detailed highs" like that would sound like screech to me.

Also is there any place in NYC/Boston where I can go to try out high end headphones? D:




My first headphones were MS1s. I liked them at first but when after getting some more equipment (IEMs) and going back to the MS1s, they were really really screechy/shrill to me. I fixed it a bit with some DIY mods but they're still screechy. LCD-2s are great bass wise and they don't sound screechy/shrill to me at all. I don't own a pair but when the LCD-3's were announced some used LCD-2s were going for around $700ish dollars and a friend picked up a pair. I just borrowed them for a bit, amped with with a Schiit Asguard. Not ideal but it does a reasonably good job. I didn't have a good source back then either but it was the same source.

Going from M50s to LCD-2 is quite a jump. LCD-2s are not portable in any way IMO they're way too bulky and heavy. At my school there's a guy rocking M50s. Looks not so bad since they swivel. LCD-2s really should be amped.

I'm getting more and more interested in to this hi-fi stuff and just browsing sites and reading reviews purely out of enjoyment, I personally think that something mid range like a DT-880 @ 600 ohms with a amp like a Lyr is the best way to go in terms of bang for you buck.
Milkis
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
5003 Posts
December 27 2011 03:51 GMT
#2517
On December 27 2011 12:32 FirstProbe wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2011 12:29 Milkis wrote:

As before I've been debating between LCD-2 and some other high but not quite that high end.



Please try out the LCD-3 and let us know how it sounds!


i dont think i would ever bother affording something like that :|


On December 27 2011 12:42 TeaGreen wrote:
Show nested quote +
On December 27 2011 12:29 Milkis wrote:
Blegh.

So I think my ATH-M50 is dying or something. which is a shame since I've only had it for a year and a half now? Dunno -- it's just weird that when I listen to it things sound different (or I just have a cold or something). Either way, I think I def need to get a second pair now.

As before I've been debating between LCD-2 and some other high but not quite that high end.

Anyway something I'm worried about now: I remember trying Alessandro MS-1 before getting ATH-M50 and I remember the highs from the MS-1 really getting to the level where it sounded like screeches to me. I'm wondering if this is something I should expect from higher end headphones because people either told me 1) i have sensitive ears, 2) "it's part of the grados sound" and they get used to it. I'm curious if anything with "detailed highs" like that would sound like screech to me.

Also is there any place in NYC/Boston where I can go to try out high end headphones? D:




My first headphones were MS1s. I liked them at first but when after getting some more equipment (IEMs) and going back to the MS1s, they were really really screechy/shrill to me. I fixed it a bit with some DIY mods but they're still screechy. LCD-2s are great bass wise and they don't sound screechy/shrill to me at all. I don't own a pair but when the LCD-3's were announced some used LCD-2s were going for around $700ish dollars and a friend picked up a pair. I just borrowed them for a bit, amped with with a Schiit Asguard. Not ideal but it does a reasonably good job. I didn't have a good source back then either but it was the same source.

Going from M50s to LCD-2 is quite a jump. LCD-2s are not portable in any way IMO they're way too bulky and heavy. At my school there's a guy rocking M50s. Looks not so bad since they swivel. LCD-2s really should be amped.

I'm getting more and more interested in to this hi-fi stuff and just browsing sites and reading reviews purely out of enjoyment, I personally think that something mid range like a DT-880 @ 600 ohms with a amp like a Lyr is the best way to go in terms of bang for you buck.



yeah, i'm not looking for something too portable, something i can use at home while working/studying and such. of course i'd be buying an amp with it.

i really wish i could listen to a midrange headphone and a 900+ dollar headphone with good sources etc before deciding which to buy though
seiferoth10
Profile Joined May 2010
3362 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-27 04:29:21
December 27 2011 04:28 GMT
#2518
If you have a Guitar Center near you, they let you trial their headphones. They didn't have the best selection ever, but they had some midrange Audio Technicas, Beyers, and Senns when I went.

Past that, it's just buy something, if you don't like it, flip it on Headfi for something else.
SiN]
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States540 Posts
December 27 2011 05:27 GMT
#2519
I got these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106424&Tpk=ocx 880 from Black Friday for $50. It's well worth it if you're looking into in-ear headphones, but the cord is really short. Still, it sounds twice as good as the HD 555's and cost me less.
ticklishmusic
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
United States15977 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-12-27 05:42:38
December 27 2011 05:40 GMT
#2520
So I have Sennheiser 440 and 555's. Love them both. (sound quality is better on the 550's for sure, I'd say good as Beats except for weaker bass).

My only question is, are the 10 feet of cord really necessary? I mean, they could give some to OCX 880's the guy above me mentioned, haha.

I might be saying something really dumb, but a good place to try on headphones is actually Brookstones, or a comparable shop. You can use the music they have, or bring your own and ask to try it. The people at the stores I went to were more than happy to let me try out their Bose and stuff with my own iPod.
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Prev 1 124 125 126 127 128 244 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
OSC
07:15
Masters Cup #151 Group C
davetesta16
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
ProTech167
Nina 142
ViBE100
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15003
Artosis 487
PianO 20
Sacsri 8
Dota 2
monkeys_forever339
NeuroSwarm101
canceldota100
League of Legends
Doublelift3445
Counter-Strike
Fnx 1142
minikerr12
Super Smash Bros
PPMD44
Other Games
summit1g6744
FrodaN1083
shahzam534
C9.Mang0356
RotterdaM81
Mew2King27
fpsfer 2
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• StrangeGG 36
• RyuSc2 26
• Response 1
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 19
• niya90s 1
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Other Games
• imaqtpie1092
• Shiphtur598
Upcoming Events
Replay Cast
15m
OSC
1d
Big Brain Bouts
1d 11h
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 18h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 20h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
4 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.