• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 23:34
CEST 05:34
KST 12:34
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War585.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
$3,500 WardiTV Not-Summer Championship ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Rollback Netcode in Brood War BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Repalyzer - replay analysis app for StarCraft: Rem Fantasy returning? TL Sidebar missing streams
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25!
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread TeamLiquid Health and Fitness Initiative For 2023 MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8691 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 916

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 914 915 916 917 918 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
November 06 2017 10:24 GMT
#18301
On November 06 2017 09:51 WarSame wrote:
I just saw the most unethical Github project ever. OAuth using 23andme so you can use demographic discrimination for access to a site.


I'm surprised they didn't call this project "GATTACA"...
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
WarSame
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada1950 Posts
November 06 2017 23:05 GMT
#18302
Ah... I just realized why that movie was called Gattaca... it's all of the DNA letters.
Can it be I stayed away too long? Did you miss these rhymes while I was gone?
Programmer2
Profile Joined November 2017
9 Posts
November 09 2017 04:04 GMT
#18303
If you wanna make an RPG like game using C* and let's say you start the game with 10 damage and 10 HP and after you obtain an item it increases your attack damage by 5 and you want the program to tell you your new (which would then be your current) attack damage in a future battle and when you check your stats?

Do I need to make your starting attack damage of 10 a global variable then code the item to add 5 to it? Would that be an int? But then how would I get the program to remember the new stats?
Thaniri
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
1264 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-09 12:42:41
November 09 2017 05:11 GMT
#18304
I don't know what C* is but here is some pseudocode that might get you going.

class character{
int hpmax
int hpcurrent
int basedamage
array<items> items
}

class item{
int damage
}

//put this in the character class
function calculatedamage{
int temp = this.basedamage
for each item in items
temp += item.damage
return temp
}


A setup like this would calculate the total damage of the character every time it needs to be (for instance when attacking something)

A different setup might actually modify the damage stat of the character class itself.

I'm not a good enough programmer to tell you which is better.

edit: might as well mention that I like this solution cause it is pretty easy to also add in fun stuff like buffs and debuffs.
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
November 09 2017 06:44 GMT
#18305
I think he means C# but I could be wrong
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-09 13:55:29
November 09 2017 08:32 GMT
#18306
If you want to make RPG's you might want to look into LPC to see how it's done (you can get all you need from here for example: http://discworld.starturtle.net/lpc/links/mudlinks.html ).


In an LPMud the mudlib is the support framework for the world. The MudOS driver provides the very basic fundamentals and the mudlib provides the features necessary to make a working game. The mudlib is what defines how most common objects work and what capabilities they have.

Discworld has created and maintains its own mudlib. The mulib was started in 1991 and has been under constant development ever since. Unlike some other distribution libs the Discworld lib is a working mudlib, used to run a very large LPMud. There are also about 20 other MUDs that use the lib or a derivative of it.

The Discworld mudlib goes beyond the norm with the number and variety of objects available and the level of detailed interaction that is possible with them. For example, books on Discworld can not only be read, they can be written on, they can be published and printed, you can even tear pages out of them. This kind of attention to detail, this immersive environment, is found throughout Discworld MUD.

The Discworld mudlib was first released in 1993 and the current version is available for download for free from the mud links section.

If you setup a MUD that uses the Discworld lib you may wish to join the dwcre and dwchat intermud channels (see documentation for details).


Another possibility is RenPy (if you also want graphics).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Programmer2
Profile Joined November 2017
9 Posts
November 09 2017 17:50 GMT
#18307
On November 09 2017 15:44 emperorchampion wrote:
I think he means C# but I could be wrong


I thought C* and C# were the same thing? But the post above yours is in C# since the "//" (without the quotes) is how you add comments that won't show up when you run your program.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19260 Posts
November 09 2017 18:12 GMT
#18308
double slash comments are in just about every C based language. C* hasn't been developed or used since the early 90s, and I doubt very much anybody is asking about basic concepts in C*, as it's just a superset of C (so the fundamentals are the same) and C is easier to find information on.

C# is a C-based language that is more akin to Java than C. It is decidedly different from C*.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
emperorchampion
Profile Blog Joined December 2008
Canada9496 Posts
November 09 2017 19:33 GMT
#18309
Huh TIL about C*
TRUEESPORTS || your days as a respected member of team liquid are over
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-10 00:04:28
November 10 2017 00:03 GMT
#18310
Damn, this all brought some nostalgia and now I wonder why no other language has adopted LPC's shadowing yet. It is such an awesome and powerful feature...

Basically, you can extend objects during their lifetime (yes, even after they've been initialized) and even remove those extensions from them when you want. Just imagine the possibilities! Objects having extra functionality only when you really need it and no longer than you need it (in C# it would be similar to adding/removing traits to objects on the fly).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
enigmaticcam
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States280 Posts
November 10 2017 00:05 GMT
#18311
Question on entity framework, (C#.net): I've just recently started using EF. I've been doing a lot of googling, but I'm a bit stumped on this. Suppose I have three tables:

Student (StudentId,StudentName)
Class (ClassId,ClassName)
Grade (StudentId,ClassId,Grade)

I want to create a relationship between Student and Grade, and then a relationship between Class and Grade. The primary key in Grade is a composite key of StudentId and ClassId. You can't have a grade for a student that doesn't exist, nor a grade for a class that doesn't exist, right? Nor can you have two grades for the same student in the same class. Is there a way to create a relationship between these tables in EF? It's telling me I can't because the key in Student and Class don't match the key in Grade.
WolfintheSheep
Profile Joined June 2011
Canada14127 Posts
November 10 2017 00:32 GMT
#18312
On November 10 2017 09:05 enigmaticcam wrote:
Question on entity framework, (C#.net): I've just recently started using EF. I've been doing a lot of googling, but I'm a bit stumped on this. Suppose I have three tables:

Student (StudentId,StudentName)
Class (ClassId,ClassName)
Grade (StudentId,ClassId,Grade)

I want to create a relationship between Student and Grade, and then a relationship between Class and Grade. The primary key in Grade is a composite key of StudentId and ClassId. You can't have a grade for a student that doesn't exist, nor a grade for a class that doesn't exist, right? Nor can you have two grades for the same student in the same class. Is there a way to create a relationship between these tables in EF? It's telling me I can't because the key in Student and Class don't match the key in Grade.


Hard to tell, but...if the error is telling you the Student and Class keys don't match the ones in Grade, does that mean you've set the Student and Class keys as the Foreign Keys? Should be other way around, like:

public class Grade
{
...
[ForeignKey="Student"]
[Column(Order=0]
public int StudentId { get; set; }

[ForeignKey="Class"]
[Column(Order=1]
public int ClassId { get; set; }
...
}


Been a while since I've done code-first though.
Average means I'm better than half of you.
enigmaticcam
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States280 Posts
November 10 2017 00:37 GMT
#18313
Actually, I'm doing database first design. I was trying to add them in the EF diagram but couldn't get it to work because of that error. I added them on the SQL side and refreshed the model from the database, and that seemed to work. For some reason I was thinking there was some logical error with the relationships that EF doesn't support, but I guess it just needed to be done on the SQL side. Thanks!
Hanh
Profile Joined June 2016
146 Posts
November 10 2017 00:50 GMT
#18314
On November 10 2017 09:03 Manit0u wrote:
Damn, this all brought some nostalgia and now I wonder why no other language has adopted LPC's shadowing yet. It is such an awesome and powerful feature...

Basically, you can extend objects during their lifetime (yes, even after they've been initialized) and even remove those extensions from them when you want. Just imagine the possibilities! Objects having extra functionality only when you really need it and no longer than you need it (in C# it would be similar to adding/removing traits to objects on the fly).


How do references to objects through traits behave?
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-10 04:09:53
November 10 2017 03:56 GMT
#18315
On November 10 2017 09:50 Hanh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 10 2017 09:03 Manit0u wrote:
Damn, this all brought some nostalgia and now I wonder why no other language has adopted LPC's shadowing yet. It is such an awesome and powerful feature...

Basically, you can extend objects during their lifetime (yes, even after they've been initialized) and even remove those extensions from them when you want. Just imagine the possibilities! Objects having extra functionality only when you really need it and no longer than you need it (in C# it would be similar to adding/removing traits to objects on the fly).


How do references to objects through traits behave?


From the docs:


The standard shadow module also provides easy access to the original object. The variable shadow_who is set to the original object, so in the shadow object any call on the form shadow_who->function() goes to the original object function, even if it is shadowed in the shadow object.


This is pretty complicated. When you have a reference to an object and then you shadow it, it doesn't change the reference. What shadows do is mask object methods (or add new methods to it) in the runtime (shadows cannot be shadowed themselves, if you have multiple shadows masking the same methods and you apply them to the object the last shadow applied takes precedence).

Basically, any method call you make to the object will go to the shadow instead (if present). The most tricky part here are properties (which can't be shadowed but the same property can be declared in the shadow, shadow then uses its own property but all internal calls within the shadowed object will be using their own properties). You can also apply the same shadow to multiple objects.

It's very useful for game development (practically the only field LPC is being used) since this allows you to play around with player characters in some interesting ways.

Example:

If we have a player character (an object) and said character joins a guild or attains a profession that gives it new abilities or changes the way it behaves we simply add guild/profession shadow to the player. If the player quits the guild/profession we can simply remove specific shadow and the change is instantaneous. You can also set it up so that shadows are autoloaded and applied to the object on instantiation (when the player logs out and logs back in his shadows are re-applied to the character for example).

Example 2 (from the docs):

Assume for example that you want to redefine the gender of a player who's been affected by an evil spell of some kind. The function you want to shadow is called query_gender_string() and can be found in /std/living/gender.c. This is how you do it:


inherit "/std/shadow";

int
start(string pl_name)
{
return(objectp(shadow_me(pl_name)));
}

int
stop()
{
remove_shadow();
}

string
query_gender_string()
{
return "xxx";
}

// please notice that I've added both a start and a stop function for easy testing;
// these really aren't necessary as long as the shadow somehow calls shadow_me() with the target
// (either as a name or an object reference) as argument.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Hanh
Profile Joined June 2016
146 Posts
November 10 2017 08:44 GMT
#18316
This can be done without direct support with design patterns Proxy & Decorator. I'm guessing the usage is too narrow to justify inclusion in a general purpose language.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-11-10 10:36:34
November 10 2017 10:36 GMT
#18317
Main place I've heard any real usage of it is debugging Ruby server code on the fly, allows you to test out behaviors instantly in a debugger. So I've heard.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
November 10 2017 12:04 GMT
#18318
LPC creator went on to create a general purpose programming language. I wonder if he'll include shadowing in it:
https://pike.lysator.liu.se/
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
shz
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
Germany2687 Posts
November 11 2017 00:19 GMT
#18319
On November 06 2017 09:51 WarSame wrote:
I just saw the most unethical Github project ever. OAuth using 23andme so you can use demographic discrimination for access to a site.


Wow
Liquipedia
Programmer2
Profile Joined November 2017
9 Posts
November 11 2017 03:20 GMT
#18320
On November 09 2017 14:11 Thaniri wrote:
I don't know what C* is but here is some pseudocode that might get you going.

class character{
int hpmax
int hpcurrent
int basedamage
array<items> items
}

class item{
int damage
}

//put this in the character class
function calculatedamage{
int temp = this.basedamage
for each item in items
temp += item.damage
return temp
}


A setup like this would calculate the total damage of the character every time it needs to be (for instance when attacking something)

A different setup might actually modify the damage stat of the character class itself.

I'm not a good enough programmer to tell you which is better.

edit: might as well mention that I like this solution cause it is pretty easy to also add in fun stuff like buffs and debuffs.


I tried to do that but I couldn't figure it out so I kept it simple: To increase your damage after getting your first item I did number1=number1+5

And to see the items you got I did an if statement that checks to see if two buttons are disabled it will show the item in your list of items. My original idea was to keep one button disabled then when that is enabled but then after clicking it it becomes disabled then you get the item but I couldn't figure out how to do that. So both buttons need to be disabled to get the item however I am making it so after clicking a button it becomes disabled.

So to illustrate my point: let's say button 4 is the button with the item, well the game starts off with that button disabled. In order to enable it you need to click on let's say button 6, after you do that, that button becomes disabled but button 4 becomes enabled then after clicking on button 4, that becomes disabled and you get your item. So now since both buttons are disabled that item gets added to your list of items but to the player they think they got the item from "completing" button 4.
Prev 1 914 915 916 917 918 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 6h 26m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 233
NeuroSwarm 186
FoxeR 33
StarCraft: Brood War
Rain 3633
Leta 1911
Bale 54
Shine 18
Icarus 5
Other Games
summit1g7998
JimRising 576
WinterStarcraft443
ViBE155
Mew2King20
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick692
BasetradeTV199
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• davetesta23
• Letter1414
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Lourlo653
Other Games
• Scarra976
Upcoming Events
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6h 26m
Patches Events
11h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 26m
BSL Open Qualifier
15h 26m
OSC
19h 26m
OSC
1d 8h
WardiTV Weekly
2 days
PiGosaur Cup
2 days
The PondCast
4 days
Online Event
5 days
[ Show More ]
Korean StarCraft League
5 days
Afreeca Starleague
6 days
Rush vs Soulkey
CranKy Ducklings
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
HCC Season 3
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.