• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 22:40
CEST 04:40
KST 11:40
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)77Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion SC4ALL II Brood War Complete Invited Player Lineup 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck?
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7443 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 869

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 867 868 869 870 871 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
dsyxelic
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1417 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-05 06:20:35
April 05 2017 06:10 GMT
#17361
x2-x1 btw!

or for general cases |x1-x2| but this problem said x2 must be larger

anyways as you said, k1 is getting closer to k2 each iteration by v1-v2 steps. so the gap continuously closes by a certain amount. Because v1>v2, kangaroo 1 will eventually outpace kangaroo 2.

ex. lim->infinity (v1p+x1)/(v2p+x2) = v1/v2, p=number of iterations
since v1>v2, kangaroo1 always outpaces kangaroo2 in regards to infinity
(sorry if I'm explaining the math in a bad way I'm honestly not a math guy)

SO, all we need to do is check if the gap eventually reaches 0 for the overlap.
since the difference of x1 and x2 is the starting gap we need to cover, and the difference of v1 and v2 is how much that gap decreases by, we just need to see if they divide evenly. If they do, we know that the gap ends up at 0 at some point.

Hope that made sense. I'm also very sad that there is probably so many more efficient ways to solve this. I might look at this more tomorrow unless someone smart can explain a better solution so I can just learn from that.

edit:

nvm I passed the last test case.

all I had to do was check for more of the bad inputs in the beginning. I guess that last test case was just checking for that. So this is actually one of the optimal ways?
TL/SKT
frogmelter
Profile Blog Joined April 2009
United States971 Posts
April 05 2017 06:44 GMT
#17362
Apologies for the typo. Hopefully I didn't mislead anyone. Edited.

This solution is O(1). There isn't an efficiency class faster than this.
TL+ Member
dsyxelic
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1417 Posts
April 05 2017 06:53 GMT
#17363
On April 05 2017 15:44 frogmelter wrote:
Apologies for the typo. Hopefully I didn't mislead anyone. Edited.

This solution is O(1). There isn't an efficiency class faster than this.


yeah you're right its crazy how i've been conditioned by these questions to just assume i can't get the optimal algorithm on first go
TL/SKT
Wrath
Profile Blog Joined July 2014
3175 Posts
April 05 2017 06:54 GMT
#17364
Thanks guys!

When I wrote the equation first time I was stuck on p as I really did not know what it actually indicates.

Now all make sense. By solving: v2p+x2 = v1p+x1 -> we get that p = x2-x1/v1-v2

since p as @dsyxelic said stands for number of iterations, it must be an integer value. Otherwise it means they won't meet at all.

MysteryMeat1
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States3292 Posts
April 05 2017 18:17 GMT
#17365
I'm working on a python project, where a user uploads an excel sheet and it generates a powerpoint. Right now it only works on my machine and I want to package it and distribute it. However If I use py2app it seems like everytime I want to use new data I have to repackage the app. What is a better way of doing this?

I was thinking of using flask and heroku but im a novice to python
"Cause ya know, Style before victory." -The greatest mafia player alive
Prillan
Profile Joined August 2011
Sweden350 Posts
April 05 2017 19:46 GMT
#17366
On April 06 2017 03:17 MysteryMeat1 wrote:
I'm working on a python project, where a user uploads an excel sheet and it generates a powerpoint. Right now it only works on my machine and I want to package it and distribute it. However If I use py2app it seems like everytime I want to use new data I have to repackage the app. What is a better way of doing this?

I was thinking of using flask and heroku but im a novice to python

If that's the case you're probably doing something wrong. Also, what are users uploading the document to if you're not running a web server?
TheBB's sidekick, aligulac.com | "Reality is frequently inaccurate." - Douglas Adams
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
April 06 2017 09:32 GMT
#17367
--- Nuked ---
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18455 Posts
April 06 2017 09:43 GMT
#17368
On April 06 2017 18:32 Nesserev wrote:
Yeah, py2app, py2exe, PyInstaller, cx_Freeze, etc. should be used for generating and distributing standalone executables (.exe) targeting end users, but are a bad fit/unnecessary in almost any other situation, especially for a web server where you have control over your own environment.

@MysteryMeat1 If you're new to this, maybe you should check out pythonanywhere.com instead of Heroku. I've never used Heroku, but the setup seems a bit more complicated/steep compared to pythonanywhere.com, which I've used, and is really easy to use.

Honestly, there's a basic thought problem at the very beginning here. Heroku isn't an alternative to py2app. It's an alternative to AWS, Azure, etc.

It's still not clear to me whether mysterymeat is interested in making a standalone app or a web app. In the former, it's not py2app that is failing him, but the way in which he inputs the spreadsheet (hardcoded?!) In the latter, he should study the various options for hosting his app. But they are entirely different kettles of fish.
MysteryMeat1
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States3292 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-06 15:46:27
April 06 2017 15:38 GMT
#17369
On April 06 2017 04:46 Prillan wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 06 2017 03:17 MysteryMeat1 wrote:
I'm working on a python project, where a user uploads an excel sheet and it generates a powerpoint. Right now it only works on my machine and I want to package it and distribute it. However If I use py2app it seems like everytime I want to use new data I have to repackage the app. What is a better way of doing this?

I was thinking of using flask and heroku but im a novice to python

If that's the case you're probably doing something wrong. Also, what are users uploading the document to if you're not running a web server?


Right now the only user is me. I have the script in the same directory as the excel file so it just grabs it and runs it. However when I package the exe its not grabbing the excel file. Did I just set it up wrong?

On April 06 2017 18:43 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 06 2017 18:32 Nesserev wrote:
Yeah, py2app, py2exe, PyInstaller, cx_Freeze, etc. should be used for generating and distributing standalone executables (.exe) targeting end users, but are a bad fit/unnecessary in almost any other situation, especially for a web server where you have control over your own environment.

@MysteryMeat1 If you're new to this, maybe you should check out pythonanywhere.com instead of Heroku. I've never used Heroku, but the setup seems a bit more complicated/steep compared to pythonanywhere.com, which I've used, and is really easy to use.

Honestly, there's a basic thought problem at the very beginning here. Heroku isn't an alternative to py2app. It's an alternative to AWS, Azure, etc.

It's still not clear to me whether mysterymeat is interested in making a standalone app or a web app. In the former, it's not py2app that is failing him, but the way in which he inputs the spreadsheet (hardcoded?!) In the latter, he should study the various options for hosting his app. But they are entirely different kettles of fish.


I'm interested in whatever's easier. If the data in the excel sheet is constantly changing it seems like a standalone app isn't the correct solution? Unless I missed out on a way to select the excel file in the app.

Right now its just wb = load_workbook(filename.xlss)

The preference for the standalone app was that I could just have people download the exe and not have to look into web hosting
"Cause ya know, Style before victory." -The greatest mafia player alive
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18455 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-06 16:45:09
April 06 2017 16:42 GMT
#17370
On April 07 2017 00:38 MysteryMeat1 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 06 2017 04:46 Prillan wrote:
On April 06 2017 03:17 MysteryMeat1 wrote:
I'm working on a python project, where a user uploads an excel sheet and it generates a powerpoint. Right now it only works on my machine and I want to package it and distribute it. However If I use py2app it seems like everytime I want to use new data I have to repackage the app. What is a better way of doing this?

I was thinking of using flask and heroku but im a novice to python

If that's the case you're probably doing something wrong. Also, what are users uploading the document to if you're not running a web server?


Right now the only user is me. I have the script in the same directory as the excel file so it just grabs it and runs it. However when I package the exe its not grabbing the excel file. Did I just set it up wrong?

Show nested quote +
On April 06 2017 18:43 Acrofales wrote:
On April 06 2017 18:32 Nesserev wrote:
Yeah, py2app, py2exe, PyInstaller, cx_Freeze, etc. should be used for generating and distributing standalone executables (.exe) targeting end users, but are a bad fit/unnecessary in almost any other situation, especially for a web server where you have control over your own environment.

@MysteryMeat1 If you're new to this, maybe you should check out pythonanywhere.com instead of Heroku. I've never used Heroku, but the setup seems a bit more complicated/steep compared to pythonanywhere.com, which I've used, and is really easy to use.

Honestly, there's a basic thought problem at the very beginning here. Heroku isn't an alternative to py2app. It's an alternative to AWS, Azure, etc.

It's still not clear to me whether mysterymeat is interested in making a standalone app or a web app. In the former, it's not py2app that is failing him, but the way in which he inputs the spreadsheet (hardcoded?!) In the latter, he should study the various options for hosting his app. But they are entirely different kettles of fish.


I'm interested in whatever's easier. If the data in the excel sheet is constantly changing it seems like a standalone app isn't the correct solution? Unless I missed out on a way to select the excel file in the app.

Right now its just wb = load_workbook(filename.xlss)

The preference for the standalone app was that I could just have people download the exe and not have to look into web hosting

You'll want to use some type of input. The most basic form would be:


filename = input("Enter your filename: ")
try:
wb = load_workbook(filename)
except:
print("Problem loading file", filename, "Please make sure you entered a valid Excel file")
exit(1)


Or as a command line argument: https://www.tutorialspoint.com/python/python_command_line_arguments.htm
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
April 06 2017 19:48 GMT
#17371
It's assembly time in my current programming class. For the current project we have to convert a couple different C programs to assembly.

I am sure I will need help from you guys
MysteryMeat1
Profile Blog Joined June 2011
United States3292 Posts
April 06 2017 19:53 GMT
#17372
I switched it to using the tKinter library, allowing the user to select the excel file that they want. I want it to be as easy as possible for someone who doesn't have any experience with coding.
"Cause ya know, Style before victory." -The greatest mafia player alive
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
April 06 2017 20:20 GMT
#17373
On April 07 2017 04:48 travis wrote:
It's assembly time in my current programming class. For the current project we have to convert a couple different C programs to assembly.

I am sure I will need help from you guys

Which assembly?
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
April 06 2017 22:35 GMT
#17374
On April 07 2017 05:20 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 07 2017 04:48 travis wrote:
It's assembly time in my current programming class. For the current project we have to convert a couple different C programs to assembly.

I am sure I will need help from you guys

Which assembly?


I don't know the differences. Does "Y86" answer that question?
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-06 22:44:32
April 06 2017 22:40 GMT
#17375
On April 07 2017 07:35 travis wrote:
Show nested quote +
On April 07 2017 05:20 tofucake wrote:
On April 07 2017 04:48 travis wrote:
It's assembly time in my current programming class. For the current project we have to convert a couple different C programs to assembly.

I am sure I will need help from you guys

Which assembly?


I don't know the differences. Does "Y86" answer that question?


x86 but yes. There's a bit more to it than that depending on what generation of intel processor you're running it on as well.

How strict is the grading on these assignments? Are you limited to a certain number of instructions?
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-06 22:51:46
April 06 2017 22:50 GMT
#17376
85% of the grade is just making the program have the same output for tests as the corresponding C program

10% is for style

5% is for code efficiency

the only limit i see on instruction use is that if we are calling a function we must use call and not jmp
Hanh
Profile Joined June 2016
146 Posts
April 07 2017 01:30 GMT
#17377
gcc -S anyone?
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-07 01:54:27
April 07 2017 01:53 GMT
#17378
we've already been informed that we will horribly fail the tests if we try to do that

(I have no idea why, prof may have mentioned why but I can't remember the reasons)
Deleted User 3420
Profile Blog Joined May 2003
24492 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-07 13:09:41
April 07 2017 13:07 GMT
#17379
want to verify my understanding of combinatorics

the question i am given is that of "three-peat" combinations

we have an alphabet: {a, b, c}

We have words that are "threepeats", such that every n-size word word begins and ends with the same 3(floor of n/3) letters in the same order. For example, a threepeat word is "abcbbaabc", or "aabbcaa".

Why it's called a "threepeat" when the repeated sequence isn't necessarily 3 is beyond me.

Anyways we are asked for the total combinations of words possible for given n-lengths.

I want to verify that the way I solve this is with

x= [floor of (n/2)] (the size of the repeated segment)
y = n - 2x (the size of the middle segment)

then do 3^x * 3^y
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18455 Posts
Last Edited: 2017-04-07 13:31:19
April 07 2017 13:27 GMT
#17380
I think I am understanding this correctly if I say the repeating part can be between 1 and floor(n/2) length, correct? If that's so, the formula is wrong:

Firstly, I am assuming the middle bit can only be in the same alphabet of 3 letters. Then the middle bit doesn't have y^x combinations, but 3^y. This gives you 3^x * 3^y = 3^(x + y) = 3^(n - x) possible combinations. This makes perfect sense, right. Because the only part you restrict is the final part with length x, which has to be exactly the same as the first x characters. So you have complete freedom over the first n-x characters, which can be chosen from your alphabet of 3 letters.

However, you're also forgetting to sum them: you have repeating parts of 1 letter, of 2 letters, of ... floor(n/2) letters, all of which have 3^(n-i) possible combinations. So to get all combinations, you have to do \Sum_{i=1}^{floor(n/2)} 3^(n - i).

But even then, you still have a problem with replacement in some corner cases. Consider for instance: Let n=6, and the sentence be aaaaaa. This is counted 3 times under the above system: once for the repeated seqence aaa (x=3, y=0), once for the repeated sequence aa (x=2, y=2) and once for the repeated sequence a (x=1, y=4)

I will leave it as an exercise for you how you can solve this.

E: you ninja edited a fix in there. So you already caught the first bit (but not the simplification or the rest).
Prev 1 867 868 869 870 871 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 7h 20m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 195
ProTech136
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 17944
Rain 1584
GuemChi 927
sorry 48
NaDa 20
Bale 17
Dota 2
monkeys_forever420
NeuroSwarm209
LuMiX1
Counter-Strike
summit1g8107
taco 524
minikerr45
Super Smash Bros
hungrybox989
Mew2King67
Other Games
JimRising 555
WinterStarcraft520
C9.Mang0185
ViBE125
ZombieGrub17
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick957
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream39
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Hupsaiya 184
• davetesta28
• Letter146
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Stunt282
Other Games
• Scarra959
• Shiphtur584
Upcoming Events
The PondCast
7h 20m
INu's Battles
8h 20m
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
10h 20m
OSC
19h 35m
Replay Cast
20h 20m
OSC
1d 20h
Big Brain Bouts
2 days
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
3 days
[ Show More ]
Patches Events
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
WardiTV Weekly
5 days
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.