• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 05:31
CEST 11:31
KST 18:31
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)76Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond)
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Bot on ladder BGH Auto Balance -> http://bghmmr.eu/ Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
General RTS Discussion Thread Nintendo Switch Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 9017 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 780

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 778 779 780 781 782 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
October 14 2016 20:23 GMT
#15581
Not sure about C++ but can't you just free the entire vector at once and not bother with freeing every single element in it beforehand?
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
JWD[9]
Profile Blog Joined November 2015
364 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-14 21:56:54
October 14 2016 20:31 GMT
#15582
On October 15 2016 05:23 Manit0u wrote:
Not sure about C++ but can't you just free the entire vector at once and not bother with freeing every single element in it beforehand?


That sounds like the question I wanted to ask. What makes sure, that when an object of this containertype goes out of scope, that all the destructors for the elements it manages get called? And do I have to call them explicitly, especially for nontrivial types? And if not, why was alloc.destroy then used in the reserve function?

edit:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18077898/destroy-vs-deallocate

I am even unsure if this answers my question. Because most of the code in the book is wrong in a funny way, so you have to think about it. But allocaters don't really get introduced:
“Messing with allocators” is pretty advanced stuff, and tricky. Leave it alone until you are ready to become an expert.

And then the books ask questions about them, and to then have the outlined solutions be wrong, seems cruel for a book aimed at beginners. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-14 20:52:33
October 14 2016 20:42 GMT
#15583
--- Nuked ---
JWD[9]
Profile Blog Joined November 2015
364 Posts
October 14 2016 20:57 GMT
#15584
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12068950/c-destructors-with-vectors-pointers

It seems like this decision for what to do with vector object only is in the hands of the user if you give pointers as elements, the standard vector should actually call the destructors?

I really just wanna take your word for it Nesserev, and it seems like a plausible way of defining how a vector should behave. Does it come to down to that? Choice of the implementer?
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
October 14 2016 21:05 GMT
#15585
--- Nuked ---
JWD[9]
Profile Blog Joined November 2015
364 Posts
October 14 2016 21:21 GMT
#15586
On October 15 2016 06:05 Nesserev wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2016 05:57 JWD[9] wrote:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/12068950/c-destructors-with-vectors-pointers

It seems like this decision for what to do with vector object only is in the hands of the user if you give pointers as elements, the standard vector should actually call the destructors?

I really just wanna take your word for it Nesserev, and it seems like a plausible way of defining how a vector should behave. Does it come to down to that? Choice of the implementer?

Actually, no, you're right. The same for loop should be present in the destructor, but you say that it's not?


It is not. Stroustrup is evil ... or I should acquire the most recent edition of the book.
Nesserev, Manit0u, thanks for being there.
Nesserev
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Belgium2760 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-14 22:45:24
October 14 2016 22:44 GMT
#15587
--- Nuked ---
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
October 15 2016 06:22 GMT
#15588
[image loading]

Brilliant!
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-15 08:09:13
October 15 2016 07:38 GMT
#15589
Guys I feel really stupid but how does the coin change problem work? I've been thinking about it the last 3 hours and I think my brain is fried... I don't understand how you get to breaking it into solutions not containing coin X and solutions containing coin X.

Also follow-up, what happens if you introduce same value denominations? Like your set of coins is {1a, 1b, 5, 10}.

Also does the solution vary for permutations of coins? Ugh my head.
There is no one like you in the universe.
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
October 15 2016 08:29 GMT
#15590
On October 15 2016 15:22 Manit0u wrote:
[image loading]

Brilliant!

Yes, but it wouldn't work on me.

Heh, guess I'm not a moron. Or perhaps a really obstinate moron
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
October 15 2016 08:32 GMT
#15591
On October 15 2016 16:38 Blisse wrote:
Guys I feel really stupid but how does the coin change problem work? I've been thinking about it the last 3 hours and I think my brain is fried... I don't understand how you get to breaking it into solutions not containing coin X and solutions containing coin X.

Also follow-up, what happens if you introduce same value denominations? Like your set of coins is {1a, 1b, 5, 10}.

Also does the solution vary for permutations of coins? Ugh my head.


Too lazy to google. What is the coin change problem? Is it simply the question of what change to give to a customer to minimize number of coins? If so, I don't get the problem you're having.

Or are you working on some variation where you want all permutations?
Khalum
Profile Joined September 2010
Austria831 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-15 09:08:38
October 15 2016 09:08 GMT
#15592
On October 15 2016 05:10 JWD[9] wrote:
[..]

[..]
vector_base(const A& a, long unsigned int n)
:alloc{a}, sz{n}, elem{alloc.allocate(n)}, space{n} {}
[..]

[..]


Are the brackets for the initialization list actually written like this in the book?
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2016-10-15 16:57:08
October 15 2016 16:50 GMT
#15593
Heh, every day you learn something new. Today I've learned a cool way of checking if a number is a power of 2:


n > 0 && (n & (n - 1)) == 0;


I really need to utilize bitwise operations more.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Mr. Wiggles
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
Canada5894 Posts
October 15 2016 17:27 GMT
#15594
On October 16 2016 01:50 Manit0u wrote:
Heh, every day you learn something new. Today I've learned a cool way of checking if a number is a power of 2:


n > 0 && (n & (n - 1)) == 0;


I really need to utilize bitwise operations more.

If you're interested in bit-level manipulations and micro-optimisations, check out Hacker's Delight.

http://www.hackersdelight.org
you gotta dance
Acrofales
Profile Joined August 2010
Spain18453 Posts
October 15 2016 17:28 GMT
#15595
On October 16 2016 01:50 Manit0u wrote:
Heh, every day you learn something new. Today I've learned a cool way of checking if a number is a power of 2:


n > 0 && (n & (n - 1)) == 0;


I really need to utilize bitwise operations more.

Heh. Hadn't thought of that, but it's pretty nifty!
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
October 15 2016 17:44 GMT
#15596
On October 16 2016 02:27 Mr. Wiggles wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 16 2016 01:50 Manit0u wrote:
Heh, every day you learn something new. Today I've learned a cool way of checking if a number is a power of 2:


n > 0 && (n & (n - 1)) == 0;


I really need to utilize bitwise operations more.

If you're interested in bit-level manipulations and micro-optimisations, check out Hacker's Delight.

http://www.hackersdelight.org


Thanks. I'll be sure to check it out seeing how most of my career for the past 2 years has been code optimization and refactoring.

I also need to re-learn some maths since I suck at it now (that's what you get when you decide to pursue a programming career after nothing but humanities in education).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
October 15 2016 19:29 GMT
#15597
On October 15 2016 17:32 Acrofales wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2016 16:38 Blisse wrote:
Guys I feel really stupid but how does the coin change problem work? I've been thinking about it the last 3 hours and I think my brain is fried... I don't understand how you get to breaking it into solutions not containing coin X and solutions containing coin X.

Also follow-up, what happens if you introduce same value denominations? Like your set of coins is {1a, 1b, 5, 10}.

Also does the solution vary for permutations of coins? Ugh my head.


Too lazy to google. What is the coin change problem? Is it simply the question of what change to give to a customer to minimize number of coins? If so, I don't get the problem you're having.

Or are you working on some variation where you want all permutations?


It's the one where given a set of coins and a target value, given an infinite amount of each coin how many ways can you use the coins to reach the target value. It's the dynamic programming problem. I don't understand the logic of it.
There is no one like you in the universe.
JWD[9]
Profile Blog Joined November 2015
364 Posts
October 16 2016 00:53 GMT
#15598
On October 15 2016 18:08 Khalum wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 15 2016 05:10 JWD[9] wrote:
[..]

[..]
vector_base(const A& a, long unsigned int n)
:alloc{a}, sz{n}, elem{alloc.allocate(n)}, space{n} {}
[..]

[..]


Are the brackets for the initialization list actually written like this in the book?

Yes

On October 15 2016 07:44 Nesserev wrote:
Kk, so I got my paws on Stroustrup's book, and read the section. I guess I didn't look at your code well enough.
There are two classes:
- vector_base: used as a base class for vector<T,A>; manages the allocated memory of a vector
- myvector<T,A>: used to store objects

The class vector_base is only aware of the big block of memory allocated for the vector, and is not aware of the objects stored in said block of memory. The destructor in your code, was the destructor for vector_base, which only handles cleaning up the vector's reserved memory.

The destructor of myvector<T,A> is not shown, but it would contain the for loop to clean up the elements.
The reserve() method was also for myvector<T,A>, and has the for loop for the reason I posted earlier.


Also, isn't the second edition of 'Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++' the latest one?

I checked, seems it is the latest version.
Awww, I constructed and destructed the elements in the vector_base. I can see why I should not do that. Now it also makes sense why he used uninitialized_copy in the reserve function and could not rely on the vector_base destructor.
At least I was right for feeling stupid
I thank you Nesserev!
RoomOfMush
Profile Joined March 2015
1296 Posts
October 16 2016 14:16 GMT
#15599
I would like to write a user manual to a piece of software but I am not quite sure what kind of software / framework I am going to use. I would like to get some recommendations if possible.

What I need is something like a small wiki. Platform independent, with hyperlinks to important topics, a table of content, search function would be nice; all the standard quality-of-life features we have nowadays.
I would also like to generate this manual automatically; ideally programmatically. I would also like to open this user manual from inside the java application.

I was thinking an HTML solution would be great for that. I could have the application start a browser and display the manual. Does anybody know of some tool / framework / toolkit / software / etc that can help me?
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
October 16 2016 14:30 GMT
#15600
It seems that what you need could easily be done with just a bit of html and js. Alternatively, there should be software that converts *doc comments to an html file serving as your documentation. I'm sure it's true for PHPDoc and RDoc comments so it should be available for Java and other languages.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Prev 1 778 779 780 781 782 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 1h 29m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft: Brood War
actioN 1472
firebathero 918
Shuttle 451
Jaedong 430
BeSt 368
Hyuk 364
Mong 341
Hyun 301
Soma 187
Stork 120
[ Show more ]
PianO 92
Sexy 87
Shine 62
Mind 59
910 55
Rush 41
Larva 34
sSak 34
Shinee 29
Bale 25
Hm[arnc] 24
ZergMaN 24
ZerO 23
sorry 18
HiyA 17
Sharp 15
Noble 12
Terrorterran 8
hero 1
Dota 2
XcaliburYe29
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1204
shoxiejesuss967
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King251
Other Games
gofns36696
summit1g7768
singsing677
ceh9609
KnowMe128
Pyrionflax126
Livibee64
Trikslyr26
ZerO(Twitch)4
DeMusliM1
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick472
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream29
[ Show 11 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos1056
• Stunt354
Other Games
• Shiphtur430
Upcoming Events
Kung Fu Cup
1h 29m
Patches Events
6h 29m
The PondCast
1d
INu's Battles
1d 1h
Percival vs SHIN
Zoun vs herO
OSC
1d 12h
Replay Cast
1d 13h
OSC
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
3 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
BSL Open Qualifier
4 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
PiGosaur Cup
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.