• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 07:08
CEST 13:08
KST 20:08
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)73Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4) StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups?
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning? BSL Season 23 Bot on ladder
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Dating: How's your luck? Artificial Intelligence Thread US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8522 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 43

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
dvide
Profile Joined March 2010
United Kingdom287 Posts
March 22 2011 00:44 GMT
#841
On March 22 2011 00:45 japro wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 22 2011 00:32 Hoon wrote:
Hey folks!
I'm an Electronical Engineering undergrad. We have to develop a game in C++ as our Programming project. Our teacher suggested using Dev C++ as the compiler and Allegro as the graphical ibrary. I'm wondering if there are any better library that I can use in Visual Studio (would love something easy to use and that doesn't conflict with Threads like Allegro does).
Thanks in advance!


I'm a big fan of SFML. Does pretty much everything you need in a very straight forward way (no setting up of 13 contexts just to load a picture etc.).

Agreed. From my experience it's a lovely little library. If you're using C++ I'd recommend it over SDL.

On March 22 2011 09:05 Manit0u wrote:
Hasn't Dev-C++ been obsolete since like 2005 (at least that's the last time it has been supported/released) and replaced with wxDev-C++ later on?

Yes, there is no reason to still use it when Code::Blocks, wxDev-C++ and Visual C++ Express exist.
KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-22 15:11:50
March 22 2011 14:59 GMT
#842
I'm looking to create a plugin/extension for browsers (atleast IE OR chrome, but both/more is good) which will perform voice capture and sending/playback of voice streams. I've been looking into creating an applet, since I can just run Java code.

1) Besides an applet, what other technologies can be used? I've looked at Flash, but does it support RTP/RTCP and SIP stacks? That can be found in Java atleast, I'm fairly certain.
I've read that HTML 5 has built-in support for audio/video, but that is not available now.

2) What limitations exist for Applets compared to 'regular' Java programs?

3) I'm not sure of the term 'webbrowser plugins'. Just what is it? Javascript? Does each webbrowser have an API for developing plugins? What are the limitations of plugins? Any examples of plugins (toolbars)?
Is there any good documentation/resources? I can't find any.

4) what is the technology powering, like, youtube? It must be related.

Webtechnoglogy is painful for a C/C++ programmer
England will fight to the last American
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
March 22 2011 15:55 GMT
#843
YouTube appears to still be Adobe Flash, although I remember hearing about a plan to migrate to HTML 5.
twitch.tv/cratonz
KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-22 16:15:24
March 22 2011 16:07 GMT
#844
Is it all done in flash? What about RTP and SIP, does flash have support for that? If not, is it possible to add it using some kind of plugin or do you HAVE to rely on features native to the Flash Player?
England will fight to the last American
TheBB
Profile Blog Joined July 2009
Switzerland5133 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-22 18:37:51
March 22 2011 18:36 GMT
#845
Did we do this yet?

Relevant reading material.

Poll: Indentation style

Allman (430)
 
55%

K&R (332)
 
42%

Whitesmith (24)
 
3%

786 total votes

Your vote: Indentation style

(Vote): K&R
(Vote): Allman
(Vote): Whitesmith



BTW OP: Here are some Haskell links for the OP.
http://book.realworldhaskell.org/read/
http://learnyouahaskell.com/chapters
http://aligulac.com || Barcraft Switzerland! || Zerg best race. || Stats-poster extraordinaire.
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
March 22 2011 19:00 GMT
#846
1. OP Updated
2. Allman is clearly the best, although the space before the opening parenthetical is not something I do.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
Valenius
Profile Joined September 2010
United Kingdom1266 Posts
March 22 2011 19:00 GMT
#847
Speaking from a newbies perspective, the Allman style seems easier to on the eyes (and is how i lay mine out)
Disregard
Profile Blog Joined March 2007
China10252 Posts
March 22 2011 19:07 GMT
#848
+1 for Allman, brace alignment nightmare.
"If I had to take a drug in order to be free, I'm screwed. Freedom exists in the mind, otherwise it doesn't exist."
sidesprang
Profile Joined January 2009
Norway1033 Posts
March 22 2011 19:46 GMT
#849
Allman ftw, more space is almost always better in my oppinion.

Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee.
kingcoyote
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States546 Posts
March 22 2011 19:52 GMT
#850
I use 1TBS, since Allman has some unpredictable issues with some of the languages I use. For example, Allman in JavaScript may cause implicit semicolons to do things that are undesirable:

return
{
"foo":"bar"
};

is not the same as

return {
"foo":"bar"
};
sur_reaL
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada278 Posts
March 22 2011 19:55 GMT
#851
Allman
It's just so much more clean and easy to read imo.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lH3hrtp1T84
tofucake
Profile Blog Joined October 2009
Hyrule19259 Posts
March 22 2011 20:43 GMT
#852
On March 23 2011 04:52 visual77 wrote:
I use 1TBS, since Allman has some unpredictable issues with some of the languages I use. For example, Allman in JavaScript may cause implicit semicolons to do things that are undesirable:

return
{
"foo":"bar"
};

is not the same as

return {
"foo":"bar"
};

In which case you do return { 'foo': 'bar' }; and your problem is solved. Since the curly braces aren't being used to open and close a block of code, but rather to describe a set of parameters, they follow different rules.
Liquipediaasante sana squash banana
kingcoyote
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States546 Posts
March 22 2011 21:03 GMT
#853
On March 23 2011 05:43 tofucake wrote:
Show nested quote +
On March 23 2011 04:52 visual77 wrote:
I use 1TBS, since Allman has some unpredictable issues with some of the languages I use. For example, Allman in JavaScript may cause implicit semicolons to do things that are undesirable:

return
{
"foo":"bar"
};

is not the same as

return {
"foo":"bar"
};

In which case you do return { 'foo': 'bar' }; and your problem is solved. Since the curly braces aren't being used to open and close a block of code, but rather to describe a set of parameters, they follow different rules.


That's true, but in the case of a large object being returned, it can get pretty awkward.

I've also never been that great at knowing exact rules on these well known standards, so I'm not surprised that there are different rules involved.
Oracle
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
Canada411 Posts
March 22 2011 21:04 GMT
#854
A CS/Programming Blog I posted a while ago. Maybe some of you will enjoy it.
Kentor *
Profile Blog Joined December 2007
United States5784 Posts
March 22 2011 21:22 GMT
#855
i get irritated when i read anything but Allman style braces

and i try to avoid braces all together if I can in C
astroorion
Profile Blog Joined September 2010
United States1022 Posts
March 22 2011 23:26 GMT
#856
Hey, I'm hoping this is allowed, if anyone is looking into getting into some Web Programming and needs a free web host, just sign up here http://www.000webhost.com/429635.html. I have used them since October, and have had no problems, and I will get payed for each sign up and once it hits 20 signups, they will pay me the $100 (They only give money out in $100 increments) which will be donated to TeamLiquid and can be used a their discretion or donated to a charity of their choice. Thanks!
MLG Admin | Astro.631 NA
KaiserJohan
Profile Joined May 2010
Sweden1808 Posts
March 23 2011 19:31 GMT
#857
Anyone have any other input on the questions I posted?
England will fight to the last American
dogmeatstew
Profile Joined April 2010
Canada574 Posts
March 23 2011 19:48 GMT
#858
On March 22 2011 23:59 KaiserJohan wrote:
I'm looking to create a plugin/extension for browsers (atleast IE OR chrome, but both/more is good) which will perform voice capture and sending/playback of voice streams. I've been looking into creating an applet, since I can just run Java code.

1) Besides an applet, what other technologies can be used? I've looked at Flash, but does it support RTP/RTCP and SIP stacks? That can be found in Java atleast, I'm fairly certain.
I've read that HTML 5 has built-in support for audio/video, but that is not available now.


Flash is a big one, PHP is pretty powerful for all things web related but I don't have enough experience to be of any real help with it. I believe that most browsers have some from of API yes, I at least know that you can make FF extensions with javascript...

2) What limitations exist for Applets compared to 'regular' Java programs?

Not alot... you have fewer and way more awkward UI options (at least in my opinion). I personally found writing java apps to be a pain but in terms of actual underlying java functionality nothing is missing particularly, at least not on a base level. Awkward though.

3) I'm not sure of the term 'webbrowser plugins'. Just what is it? Javascript? Does each webbrowser have an API for developing plugins? What are the limitations of plugins? Any examples of plugins (toolbars)?
Is there any good documentation/resources? I can't find any.


I'm pretty sure that both Mozilla and Google have fairly extensive tutorials on their API's for various things (though you might have to wade your way though the huge number of API's that google has...) If you just go look through the mozilla site I seem to recall that there's a developers corner somewhere in there. Also most if not all add-ons are open source so take a look at some source.

4) what is the technology powering, like, youtube? It must be related.

Webtechnoglogy is painful for a C/C++ programmer


def flash.
Deleted User 101379
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
4849 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-03-24 07:30:19
March 24 2011 07:27 GMT
#859
On March 24 2011 04:48 dogmeatstew wrote:

Show nested quote +
4) what is the technology powering, like, youtube? It must be related.

Webtechnoglogy is painful for a C/C++ programmer


def flash.


I would actually guess that YouTube has more Javascript Code in the Website than Flash (ActionScript) Code in their Player.
For anyone doing any Web work, Javascript is a definite must-know. If you work with it for a while and also do OOP you notice that it's actually quite a powerful language, it just has a bad reputation because of some parts that are browser/implementation dependant, but if you combine it with frameworks like jquery, the browser/implementation dependant parts are abstracted away.
JavaScript just has a different paradigm than Object-Oriented, Procedural or Functional Languages - it's called a Prototyping Language - and it's hard to wrap your mind around it when you are too used to the classical styles.


On March 23 2011 00:55 Craton wrote:
YouTube appears to still be Adobe Flash, although I remember hearing about a plan to migrate to HTML 5.


YouTube has support for HTML5, just google for "YouTube" and "HTML5" and you will find some links that tell you how to reach it. However, since many people still have older browsers - yes, IE6 is still around and sadly at large - YouTube defaults to Flash for compatibility.
Silmakuoppaanikinko
Profile Joined November 2010
799 Posts
March 24 2011 07:55 GMT
#860
On March 22 2011 00:32 Hoon wrote:
Hey folks!
I'm an Electronical Engineering undergrad. We have to develop a game in C++ as our Programming project. Our teacher suggested using Dev C++ as the compiler and Allegro as the graphical ibrary. I'm wondering if there are any better library that I can use in Visual Studio (would love something easy to use and that doesn't conflict with Threads like Allegro does).
Thanks in advance!
Did your teacher honestly call Dev C++ a 'compiler'? I hope not, that'd shed even worse light on these programming classes than they already have?

I can't answer your Q by the way, I'm just curious if your teacher really doesn't know the difference between an IDE and a compiler. Dev C++ uses a win specific port of the GCC compiler as far as I know but there is no reason it can't be linked to any other compiler.

Dev C++ has somewhat of a bad reputation by the way as some others have noted, I wouldn't know, never used it.
Workers and town centres are the ultimate counter to turtles.
Prev 1 41 42 43 44 45 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
INu's Battles
20:00
INu's Battles#21
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
IntoTheiNu 448
WardiTV142
LiquipediaDiscussion
Afreeca Starleague
19:00
Ro4 Match 2
Soma vs Soulkey
Afreeca ASL 12011
StarCastTV_EN362
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko224
ProTech129
StarCraft: Brood War
Calm 14690
Bisu 4070
Jaedong 3660
EffOrt 1166
BeSt 822
ZerO 450
Horang2 415
Pusan 292
actioN 240
Zeus 226
[ Show more ]
Larva 225
Hyun 141
Mind 135
Barracks 92
ggaemo 86
Yoon 50
Killer 49
scan(afreeca) 46
Sharp 37
Bale 34
ToSsGirL 34
NotJumperer 34
Shinee 25
Hm[arnc] 23
Sacsri 22
Terrorterran 21
Noble 10
Sea.KH 9
ajuk12(nOOB) 6
zelot 5
League of Legends
JimRising 323
Counter-Strike
olofmeister1671
byalli715
Other Games
ceh9659
crisheroes243
Pyrionflax165
dupreeh105
Mew2King64
DeMusliM14
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
UltimateBattle 191
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream49
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• LUISG 64
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• WagamamaTV490
• lizZardDota2285
League of Legends
• Jankos1255
Upcoming Events
PiGosaur Cup
12h 52m
Patches Events
1d 4h
The PondCast
1d 22h
INu's Battles
1d 23h
Percival vs TBD
TBD vs herO
OSC
2 days
Replay Cast
2 days
OSC
3 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
4 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
4 days
Patches Events
5 days
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
BSL Open Qualifier
5 days
WardiTV Weekly
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.