• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 12:22
CEST 18:22
KST 01:22
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10[ASL22] Ro24 Preview: Siren's Call8
Community News
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)47Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2313Weekly Cups (Sep 7-12): SHIN, ByuN, MaxPax double down1
StarCraft 2
General
StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? StarCraft open world shooter announced at BlizzCon Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) 2026 GSTL Grand Finals SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ] ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble Mutation # 543 Enhanced Defenses
Brood War
General
Bot on ladder Fantasy returning? BW General Discussion ASL22 General Discussion a Announcement on the JEDI Ringing
Tourneys
[ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 3 [ASL22] Ro8 Day 2
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread All you football fans (soccer)! Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
MarineLorD Fan Club The Creator Fan Club The ShoWTimE Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 8524 users

The Big Programming Thread - Page 294

Forum Index > General Forum
Post a Reply
Prev 1 292 293 294 295 296 1032 Next
Thread Rules
1. This is not a "do my homework for me" thread. If you have specific questions, ask, but don't post an assignment or homework problem and expect an exact solution.
2. No recruiting for your cockamamie projects (you won't replace facebook with 3 dudes you found on the internet and $20)
3. If you can't articulate why a language is bad, don't start slinging shit about it. Just remember that nothing is worse than making CSS IE6 compatible.
4. Use [code] tags to format code blocks.
Orome
Profile Blog Joined June 2004
Switzerland11984 Posts
May 02 2013 16:29 GMT
#5861
Ah damn I found it. I used heap.reserve(capacity), but I believe that only reserves space for pointers? And I'm storing the actual elements in the heap? In any case, with a normal declaration of the size of the heap, everything works out.
On a purely personal note, I'd like to show Yellow the beauty of infinitely repeating Starcraft 2 bunkers. -Boxer
Zeke50100
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
United States2220 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-02 16:33:24
May 02 2013 16:31 GMT
#5862
On May 03 2013 01:17 Orome wrote:
Hey guys, was hoping someone could help me out again real quick. I'm trying to make a vector-based heap of std:: pairs. My solution seems to be identical to the one they provided us with, but somehow it doesn't work. When I try to do something like this:


heap[1] = item(k, e);


the program crashes.

item is defined as:

typedef std::pair<int, string> item;

heap's a class variable, defined as:

std::vector<item> heap;


I appreciate any help.


EDIT: Well, you found the error, so I'll spoiler the old answer.
+ Show Spoiler +
I suspect an out-of-bounds error: a std::vector does not have any "space" upon construction - its size dynamically grows as you need to add new stuff to it (or shrinks if you're taking things out of it).

heap[1] = item(k, e)

heap[1] is out-of-bounds because there isn't a [1] in heap.

std::pair<int, std::string> item(5, "apple pie");
std::vector<std::pair<int, std::string> > heap;
heap.push_back(item);


The "push_back()" function adds an object to the heap. After having added the item, you can now access it as "heap[indexNumber]" - in this case, "heap[0]" will let you access (5, "apple pie"). Alternatively:

std::vector<item> heap(10)


This will leave you with 10 default-constructed items (in this case, pairs of ints and strings).

std::cout << heap[0].second << '\n'; //will print "apple pie"
std::cout << heap[1].second << '\n'; //undefined behavior if the size of heap is less than 2
std::cout << heap.at(0).second << '\n'; //will also print "applie pie"
std::cout << heap.at(1).second << '\n'; //will throw an out-of-bounds exception, so you aren't confused


The at() function can help alleviate this problem.

A useful resource on vectors is here, in case you have other issues.
Sverigevader
Profile Joined March 2010
Sweden388 Posts
May 04 2013 15:37 GMT
#5863
Quick question about operator overloading in C++.

I've written a Fraction class and I've overloaded for example the + operator to work when adding integers with fractions

Code:
+ Show Spoiler +

friend Fraction operator+ (int i, Fraction& f1);
friend Fraction operator+ (Fraction& f1, int i);


I'm sure you can figure out my question already: Is there a way to do this without having to do two separate functions for when the terms switch places?
"I can answer this, you're just a god damn sexy mofo." http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=147829&currentpage=7#139
netherh
Profile Blog Joined November 2011
United Kingdom333 Posts
May 04 2013 16:24 GMT
#5864
On May 05 2013 00:37 Sverigevader wrote:
Quick question about operator overloading in C++.

I've written a Fraction class and I've overloaded for example the + operator to work when adding integers with fractions

Code:
+ Show Spoiler +

friend Fraction operator+ (int i, Fraction& f1);
friend Fraction operator+ (Fraction& f1, int i);


I'm sure you can figure out my question already: Is there a way to do this without having to do two separate functions for when the terms switch places?


Nope.
CecilSunkure
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States2829 Posts
May 04 2013 17:44 GMT
#5865
On May 05 2013 01:24 netherh wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2013 00:37 Sverigevader wrote:
Quick question about operator overloading in C++.

I've written a Fraction class and I've overloaded for example the + operator to work when adding integers with fractions

Code:
+ Show Spoiler +

friend Fraction operator+ (int i, Fraction& f1);
friend Fraction operator+ (Fraction& f1, int i);


I'm sure you can figure out my question already: Is there a way to do this without having to do two separate functions for when the terms switch places?


Nope.

Negatory.
ddengster
Profile Blog Joined January 2009
Singapore129 Posts
May 04 2013 17:50 GMT
#5866
On May 05 2013 00:37 Sverigevader wrote:
Quick question about operator overloading in C++.

I've written a Fraction class and I've overloaded for example the + operator to work when adding integers with fractions

Code:
+ Show Spoiler +

friend Fraction operator+ (int i, Fraction& f1);
friend Fraction operator+ (Fraction& f1, int i);


I'm sure you can figure out my question already: Is there a way to do this without having to do two separate functions for when the terms switch places?


think you can do it with template specializations, but it's not worth the amount of code. Usually, you put the operator+ function within Fraction itself so it's treated as a method of the class, so there's no need to have a second global friend function for your 2nd line of code.

example:
class Fraction
{
public:
Fraction operator+(int i);

friend Fraction operator+ (int i, Fraction& f1);
};
Check out NEO Impossible Bosses, RTS-MOBA boss rush at http://neoimpossiblebosses.coder-ddeng.com
Kambing
Profile Joined May 2010
United States1176 Posts
May 04 2013 18:03 GMT
#5867
On May 05 2013 02:50 ddengster wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 05 2013 00:37 Sverigevader wrote:
Quick question about operator overloading in C++.

I've written a Fraction class and I've overloaded for example the + operator to work when adding integers with fractions

Code:
+ Show Spoiler +

friend Fraction operator+ (int i, Fraction& f1);
friend Fraction operator+ (Fraction& f1, int i);


I'm sure you can figure out my question already: Is there a way to do this without having to do two separate functions for when the terms switch places?


think you can do it with template specializations, but it's not worth the amount of code. Usually, you put the operator+ function within Fraction itself so it's treated as a method of the class, so there's no need to have a second global friend function for your 2nd line of code.

example:
class Fraction
{
public:
Fraction operator+(int i);

friend Fraction operator+ (int i, Fraction& f1);
};


That doesn't solve the problem of requiring two separate functions.

In general, operator+ may not be commutative, so there is no automatic support for generating both forms of the operator. The simplest way is to implement one operator directly and (either as a free-floating function as you have or as a member function as ddengster described) and then implement the other operator in terms of the first.
WindWolf
Profile Blog Joined July 2012
Sweden11767 Posts
May 04 2013 18:35 GMT
#5868
I'm looking to learn C#, does anyone have any good tips on links where I can start reading/learning.
I know how to program in C++ and I'm a rusty on Java.
EZ4ENCE
obesechicken13
Profile Blog Joined July 2008
United States10467 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-05 03:49:32
May 05 2013 03:44 GMT
#5869
I'm having some trouble with a simple html page. I want to link some css. Can someone take a quick look?

Crosspost on stack:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/16381132/how-do-i-get-text-in-my-html-page-to-display-features-using-the-css-stylesheet

Figured it out. Misconfigured stylesheet link.
I think in our modern age technology has evolved to become more addictive. The things that don't give us pleasure aren't used as much. Work was never meant to be fun, but doing it makes us happier in the long run.
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
May 05 2013 18:46 GMT
#5870
What do you think of Extreme Programming methodology?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_programming
Deleted User 101379
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
4849 Posts
May 05 2013 19:41 GMT
#5871
On May 06 2013 03:46 darkness wrote:
What do you think of Extreme Programming methodology?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extreme_programming


Depends on what part of it you mean.

Most programmers already do a lot of what extreme programming entails but going the full way has about as many problems as it has advantages, the same as most agile methodologies. The best is to do what works, to get ideas from other methodologies but to be critical and only apply the stuff that you really need and to be wary of overengineering the process instead of putting the effort into actual solutions.

There is no silver bullet.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
May 05 2013 20:01 GMT
#5872
Your organization has to try different methodologies and see which works the best for different types of projects (or just for your organization in general).

Mine does / has done a little bit of everything (waterfall, modified waterfall, scrum, other agile methods) and we've found pros and cons for everything (especially when working with the government).
twitch.tv/cratonz
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
May 05 2013 21:04 GMT
#5873
Alright, thanks for your thoughts. I'm not employed yet, but I have a module at university called 'Software Tools'. It defines itself as XP based, thus teaching us Ant, JUnit and Eclipse as well as the role of CASE (Computer-aided Software Engineering). I'm just curious if XP is practical in professional programming.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-05 21:14:53
May 05 2013 21:14 GMT
#5874
I don't find project management stuff to be very useful / important to know. Your organization should have a project / technical manager in charge of implementing and training everyone on what you're going to be doing.

If you want to be a PM/TM then that's another story, but as someone who develops and hates managerial stuff, I loathed that type of coursework.
twitch.tv/cratonz
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
May 06 2013 11:17 GMT
#5875
I have a class Creature with the protected int HP in C++. I have a subclass Enemy. Shouldn't enemy then get the int HP, as a sort of private int? I get the compiler error "class Enemy has no member named HP"

rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
Blisse
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
Canada3710 Posts
May 06 2013 11:38 GMT
#5876
On May 06 2013 20:17 Arnstein wrote:
I have a class Creature with the protected int HP in C++. I have a subclass Enemy. Shouldn't enemy then get the int HP, as a sort of private int? I get the compiler error "class Enemy has no member named HP"



A bit harder to diagnose without knowledge of how they're implemented. Is everything defined properly?
There is no one like you in the universe.
Arnstein
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Norway3381 Posts
May 06 2013 11:44 GMT
#5877
On May 06 2013 20:38 Blisse wrote:
Show nested quote +
On May 06 2013 20:17 Arnstein wrote:
I have a class Creature with the protected int HP in C++. I have a subclass Enemy. Shouldn't enemy then get the int HP, as a sort of private int? I get the compiler error "class Enemy has no member named HP"



A bit harder to diagnose without knowledge of how they're implemented. Is everything defined properly?


No, I fixed with the good ol' #ifndef and #define
rsol in response to the dragoon voice being heard in SCII: dragoon ai reaches new lows: wanders into wrong game
Shield
Profile Blog Joined August 2009
Bulgaria4824 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-06 22:39:15
May 06 2013 22:34 GMT
#5878
I am not sure how to call it exactly, but Objective-C can do something like this:

[[person child] setHeight:argument];

Is there something similar in Java/C++? Perhaps person.child.height = argument; but is inheritance involved here? I'm not sure if I understand code above. Perhaps you use a method from another class without calling an instance?
enigmaticcam
Profile Blog Joined October 2010
United States280 Posts
Last Edited: 2013-05-06 23:12:13
May 06 2013 23:08 GMT
#5879
On May 07 2013 07:34 darkness wrote:
I am not sure how to call it exactly, but Objective-C can do something like this:

[[person child] setHeight:argument];

Is there something similar in Java/C++? Perhaps person.child.height = argument; but is inheritance involved here? I'm not sure if I understand code above. Perhaps you use a method from another class without calling an instance?

As far as Objective-C is concerned, that block of code is calling the "setHeight" function with the "argument" as a parameter on an object returned from the "child" function of the "person" object.

I don't know the Java or C++ equivalent, but essentially it's a nested function call.
Craton
Profile Blog Joined December 2009
United States17303 Posts
May 07 2013 00:20 GMT
#5880
How does one go about writing a select statement (PL/SQL) that will accomplish the following:

Assume a "lookup" table with a pair of fields "match" and "replace" that have values like: À, A; È, E (such that you have pairs of "accented" characters in the match and "normal" characters in the replace).

Assume you have another table with n number of records, any of which have one or more characters matching this pattern. The end translation should go something like ÀNYWHÈRÈ -> ANYWHERE.

For a single value, I can use a CONNECT BY LEVEL to split each character into a separate field, join to the lookup table, and then use a MODEL construct to perform the replacement and concatenation of each character (ordering maintained), taking only the final "built" value. However, I can't make it work when I have multiple values (i.e. from a table), since I can't just connect it by level.

I feel there might also be a way to skip the CONNECT BY step altogether, but I can't make it happen.

Thoughts?
twitch.tv/cratonz
Prev 1 292 293 294 295 296 1032 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Stellar Fest
13:00
Stellar Fest 2 The Moon: Qualifier Day 2
IntoTheiNu 1190
ComeBackTV 651
TaKeTV 469
SteadfastSC458
LamboSC2446
IndyStarCraft 174
Rex120
EnkiAlexander 60
LiquipediaDiscussion
OSC
13:00
King of the Hill #263
EmpressLilyy27
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
SteadfastSC 458
LamboSC2 446
mouzHeroMarine 271
ProTech178
IndyStarCraft 174
Rex 120
UpATreeSC 76
BRAT_OK 71
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 33167
Shuttle 1780
EffOrt 931
Light 615
Mini 561
Soma 465
Rush 350
firebathero 291
Snow 191
ZerO 174
[ Show more ]
hero 102
Sea.KH 53
sorry 51
Killer 51
Liquid`Ret 47
ToSsGirL 30
Mong 30
Sexy 22
Bale 21
soO 19
Shine 19
Trap 18
Free 16
Terrorterran 14
Sacsri 10
ajuk12(nOOB) 7
Noble 5
Dota 2
Gorgc8653
qojqva1313
Dendi941
420jenkins141
Counter-Strike
fl0m1399
Heroes of the Storm
Khaldor2027
crisheroes1249
XaKoH 195
MindelVK13
Other Games
singsing1823
B2W.Neo1018
Beastyqt381
Hui .194
ArmadaUGS145
KnowMe140
QueenE104
Mew2King68
Trikslyr62
FrodaN46
Dewaltoss45
ToD35
ZerO(Twitch)20
Organizations
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream85
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 4
[ Show 15 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 3
• Migwel
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• IndyKCrew
• intothetv
• Kozan
StarCraft: Brood War
• HerbMon 15
• FirePhoenix12
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
• BSLYoutube
League of Legends
• Nemesis3164
• TFBlade1188
Other Games
• Shiphtur256
• WagamamaTV219
Upcoming Events
OSC
7h 38m
Stellar Fest
20h 38m
OSC
1d 5h
CranKy Ducklings
1d 17h
Online Event
1d 18h
FEL
1d 23h
AI Arena Tournament
2 days
BSL: Ladder Tournament
2 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
2 days
INu's Battles
2 days
herO vs Classic
Percival vs Rogue
[ Show More ]
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
BSL Open Qualifier
3 days
Replay Cast
3 days
Afreeca Starleague
3 days
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
Afreeca Starleague
4 days
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
4 days
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
5 days
The PondCast
6 days
INu's Battles
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-09-30
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Calamity Invitational

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Acropolis #5
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSB
Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
Custodian Cup
Copium Cup
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
ESL Pro League Season 24
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.