• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:13
CEST 14:13
KST 21:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War05.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202618Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11223 users

Introducing Frost Giant Studios - Page 5

Forum Index > General Games
177 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Cricketer12
Profile Blog Joined May 2012
United States14003 Posts
October 22 2020 22:51 GMT
#81
On October 23 2020 03:24 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 23 2020 01:59 Hesxy wrote:
On October 22 2020 18:13 Dave4 wrote:
This is wonderful news but also sad as it will be years before we ever get to play it.

Still, glad to see some of the Blizz heroes of past looking to reforge games for gamers rather than Activision/EA's pure focus on money at the expense of the communities that have made them the companies they are.

On Average, how much money do you have to spend in order to play a Blizzard or Activision game?


Around $50 for SC2 at the moment I believe. It wasn't so cheap at release though, most of their titles are full priced AAA games so are $60 at launch.

Isnt SC2 f2p now? Unless u mean campaign
Engage, Zero target Engage, Engage, Kagari target Engage, Engage.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
October 23 2020 00:24 GMT
#82
I think SC2 will go F2P sometime next month. And yeah, I meant the campaign too (price of a full game if you will, not just a part of it).
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
October 23 2020 02:41 GMT
#83
On October 22 2020 02:34 nimdil wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2020 02:05 [Phantom] wrote:
This is my advice for the studio: make the RTS good to watch from the ground up, while also making it free to play/accessible to the masses.

Sc2 success was because it was made from the beginning to be an espectator esports. And it succeeded. Compared to league of legends the ammmount of people who watches sc2 esports was an order of magnitude biggest in comparison to the playerbase.

I don't remember the exact numbers but it was something like 3% of lol players watches esports vs 40% for StarCraft players. I would need to look at the stats again. This was in 2012.

The problem was that league just simply had a massive playerbase.

If you can make a game that's great to watch, that also appeals to the masses. That's the winning formula. Easier said than done of course.

SC2 succeeded because it was "SC" and because it came out when neither LoL nor Dota2 was in position to massively drain viewerbase. I'm not convinved that esports orientation was really that big of a factor, and I suspect it kind of inhibited growth of playerbase.

Each massively popular esport title has it's own path.

I have serious doubts whether sc2-like RTS game can really contend with games like LoL or Dota2 or CS:GO in popularity without reinventing the genre. Maybe s.t. like WC3 but team-based.


I'm curious how you reach this conclusion and don't go the step further that mobas are the reinventing of the RTS genre that cut out the less desirable parts. Balance is a lot easier to manage when all the players have access to the same heroes. There is a fine art to asymmetrical advantages of different races in RTS, but this is typically covered by heroes having different timings, strengths, and weaknesses.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
eviltomahawk
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States11135 Posts
October 23 2020 03:10 GMT
#84
On October 23 2020 09:24 Manit0u wrote:
I think SC2 will go F2P sometime next month. And yeah, I meant the campaign too (price of a full game if you will, not just a part of it).

To be fair, the WoL campaign is already F2P, and I think that is a tremendous value for being free and is a great introduction for new players. I don't think making the other campaigns F2P will help with player base growth or retention all that much to make up for the lost revenue. I think the current F2P system is already fairly generous with the amount of content and features it offers.
ㅇㅅㅌㅅ
xsnac
Profile Blog Joined August 2011
Barbados1365 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-23 10:43:33
October 23 2020 10:43 GMT
#85
lets goo blizzard!!!
new blizzard the best blizzard!
1/4 \pi \epsilon_0
greenturtle23
Profile Joined August 2019
86 Posts
October 24 2020 00:30 GMT
#86
I don't care if it isn't as popular as dota or lol. I want a good rts, not a moba.
Kyhol
Profile Blog Joined October 2008
Canada2575 Posts
October 24 2020 18:36 GMT
#87
I'm in. You have my support and I'm excited to see what the future will bring.
Wishing you well.
StarStruck
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
25339 Posts
October 25 2020 17:12 GMT
#88
RTS competing with other games like F2P, MOBAS etc.

Those days are long over.

RTS had it's time in the sun. I find it highly unlikely another RTS will compete globally. Only market place I can see it ramping it up is China.
Fleetfeet
Profile Blog Joined May 2014
Canada2836 Posts
October 25 2020 17:54 GMT
#89
Yeah, I think RTS is doomed because the overall fun parts of the games are also stressful. We've seen all kinds of distillation of fun elements of the genre through mobas (Which then were even further distilled into moba-chess) or squad-based unit control games (footy frenzy), but I don't see a 'proper' basebuilding RTS getting much time in the sun unless it takes advantage of these distilled fun ideas and feeds those lessons into a more collaborative battleground, such as a FFA BGH derivative or something 'fun' that you -also- want your friends to play.

Basically, there's a lot to learn about what people enjoy from the RTS genre from the dearth of custom maps, and I think you need those 'custom maps' to lure people in to playing the 'actual game'.
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
October 26 2020 04:22 GMT
#90
On October 26 2020 02:12 StarStruck wrote:
RTS competing with other games like F2P, MOBAS etc.

Those days are long over.

RTS had it's time in the sun. I find it highly unlikely another RTS will compete globally. Only market place I can see it ramping it up is China.

I think the idea is to shift the standards and have an appropriate business model and expectations. It's not going to be a huge stadium filling esport, but I think its going to have a niche appeal. Like, look at Total War fans, they're getting new games, CA isn't going to abandon the genre. We need a studio like that. Or I suppose the most analogous thing to RTS games is fighting games. I think for RTS to survive, developers and the community should look to fighting games since that's the closest thing to us.
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-26 05:20:02
October 26 2020 05:18 GMT
#91
On October 26 2020 13:22 lestye wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 26 2020 02:12 StarStruck wrote:
RTS competing with other games like F2P, MOBAS etc.

Those days are long over.

RTS had it's time in the sun. I find it highly unlikely another RTS will compete globally. Only market place I can see it ramping it up is China.

I think the idea is to shift the standards and have an appropriate business model and expectations. It's not going to be a huge stadium filling esport, but I think its going to have a niche appeal. Like, look at Total War fans, they're getting new games, CA isn't going to abandon the genre. We need a studio like that. Or I suppose the most analogous thing to RTS games is fighting games. I think for RTS to survive, developers and the community should look to fighting games since that's the closest thing to us.


What everyone should look up to has already been done. Unfortunately at the time it was introduced it was way ahead of the times and didn't get enough traction.

We need a modern-day version of Savage.



Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Monochromatic
Profile Blog Joined March 2012
United States1000 Posts
October 26 2020 17:02 GMT
#92
On October 26 2020 14:18 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 26 2020 13:22 lestye wrote:
On October 26 2020 02:12 StarStruck wrote:
RTS competing with other games like F2P, MOBAS etc.

Those days are long over.

RTS had it's time in the sun. I find it highly unlikely another RTS will compete globally. Only market place I can see it ramping it up is China.

I think the idea is to shift the standards and have an appropriate business model and expectations. It's not going to be a huge stadium filling esport, but I think its going to have a niche appeal. Like, look at Total War fans, they're getting new games, CA isn't going to abandon the genre. We need a studio like that. Or I suppose the most analogous thing to RTS games is fighting games. I think for RTS to survive, developers and the community should look to fighting games since that's the closest thing to us.


What everyone should look up to has already been done. Unfortunately at the time it was introduced it was way ahead of the times and didn't get enough traction.

We need a modern-day version of Savage.


If I had to pick an existing system to be redone, I would love to see the card system from AoE3 brought back. If you're unaware, it allows for major strategic decisions tied to xp, which you get for everything (building units/buildings, gathering resources, killing enemy units, and also strategic points that you can invest in to take advantage of). It was a fantastic system that allowed for very interesting strategies and another resource to manage.
MC: "Guys I need your support! iam poor make me nerd baller" __________________________________________RIP Violet
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
October 26 2020 20:36 GMT
#93
On October 27 2020 02:02 Monochromatic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 26 2020 14:18 Manit0u wrote:
On October 26 2020 13:22 lestye wrote:
On October 26 2020 02:12 StarStruck wrote:
RTS competing with other games like F2P, MOBAS etc.

Those days are long over.

RTS had it's time in the sun. I find it highly unlikely another RTS will compete globally. Only market place I can see it ramping it up is China.

I think the idea is to shift the standards and have an appropriate business model and expectations. It's not going to be a huge stadium filling esport, but I think its going to have a niche appeal. Like, look at Total War fans, they're getting new games, CA isn't going to abandon the genre. We need a studio like that. Or I suppose the most analogous thing to RTS games is fighting games. I think for RTS to survive, developers and the community should look to fighting games since that's the closest thing to us.


What everyone should look up to has already been done. Unfortunately at the time it was introduced it was way ahead of the times and didn't get enough traction.

We need a modern-day version of Savage.


If I had to pick an existing system to be redone, I would love to see the card system from AoE3 brought back. If you're unaware, it allows for major strategic decisions tied to xp, which you get for everything (building units/buildings, gathering resources, killing enemy units, and also strategic points that you can invest in to take advantage of). It was a fantastic system that allowed for very interesting strategies and another resource to manage.


Something like commander abilities in CoH?
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
TelecoM
Profile Blog Joined January 2010
United States10872 Posts
October 27 2020 02:25 GMT
#94
How long until a preview of the up and coming RTS will be released? This is super hype.
AKA: TelecoM[WHITE] Protoss fighting
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
October 27 2020 02:41 GMT
#95
On October 27 2020 05:36 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 27 2020 02:02 Monochromatic wrote:
On October 26 2020 14:18 Manit0u wrote:
On October 26 2020 13:22 lestye wrote:
On October 26 2020 02:12 StarStruck wrote:
RTS competing with other games like F2P, MOBAS etc.

Those days are long over.

RTS had it's time in the sun. I find it highly unlikely another RTS will compete globally. Only market place I can see it ramping it up is China.

I think the idea is to shift the standards and have an appropriate business model and expectations. It's not going to be a huge stadium filling esport, but I think its going to have a niche appeal. Like, look at Total War fans, they're getting new games, CA isn't going to abandon the genre. We need a studio like that. Or I suppose the most analogous thing to RTS games is fighting games. I think for RTS to survive, developers and the community should look to fighting games since that's the closest thing to us.


What everyone should look up to has already been done. Unfortunately at the time it was introduced it was way ahead of the times and didn't get enough traction.

We need a modern-day version of Savage.


If I had to pick an existing system to be redone, I would love to see the card system from AoE3 brought back. If you're unaware, it allows for major strategic decisions tied to xp, which you get for everything (building units/buildings, gathering resources, killing enemy units, and also strategic points that you can invest in to take advantage of). It was a fantastic system that allowed for very interesting strategies and another resource to manage.


Something like commander abilities in CoH?


Similar, but I feel like the power levels are completely different.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
October 27 2020 02:49 GMT
#96
On October 27 2020 11:25 TelecoM wrote:
How long until a preview of the up and coming RTS will be released? This is super hype.

It looks like they were just founded so 1-3 years?
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
October 27 2020 11:34 GMT
#97
On October 27 2020 02:02 Monochromatic wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 26 2020 14:18 Manit0u wrote:
On October 26 2020 13:22 lestye wrote:
On October 26 2020 02:12 StarStruck wrote:
RTS competing with other games like F2P, MOBAS etc.

Those days are long over.

RTS had it's time in the sun. I find it highly unlikely another RTS will compete globally. Only market place I can see it ramping it up is China.

I think the idea is to shift the standards and have an appropriate business model and expectations. It's not going to be a huge stadium filling esport, but I think its going to have a niche appeal. Like, look at Total War fans, they're getting new games, CA isn't going to abandon the genre. We need a studio like that. Or I suppose the most analogous thing to RTS games is fighting games. I think for RTS to survive, developers and the community should look to fighting games since that's the closest thing to us.


What everyone should look up to has already been done. Unfortunately at the time it was introduced it was way ahead of the times and didn't get enough traction.

We need a modern-day version of Savage.


If I had to pick an existing system to be redone, I would love to see the card system from AoE3 brought back. If you're unaware, it allows for major strategic decisions tied to xp, which you get for everything (building units/buildings, gathering resources, killing enemy units, and also strategic points that you can invest in to take advantage of). It was a fantastic system that allowed for very interesting strategies and another resource to manage.
The problem with that kind of system is that it takes away from the point have buildings in the first place: that it is possible to scout a tech or tech path and respond to that tech and tech path with all the resulting attempt to scout, hide or mislead your tech.
nimdil
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Poland3774 Posts
October 29 2020 12:29 GMT
#98
On October 23 2020 11:41 Blitzkrieg0 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 22 2020 02:34 nimdil wrote:
On October 22 2020 02:05 [Phantom] wrote:
This is my advice for the studio: make the RTS good to watch from the ground up, while also making it free to play/accessible to the masses.

Sc2 success was because it was made from the beginning to be an espectator esports. And it succeeded. Compared to league of legends the ammmount of people who watches sc2 esports was an order of magnitude biggest in comparison to the playerbase.

I don't remember the exact numbers but it was something like 3% of lol players watches esports vs 40% for StarCraft players. I would need to look at the stats again. This was in 2012.

The problem was that league just simply had a massive playerbase.

If you can make a game that's great to watch, that also appeals to the masses. That's the winning formula. Easier said than done of course.

SC2 succeeded because it was "SC" and because it came out when neither LoL nor Dota2 was in position to massively drain viewerbase. I'm not convinved that esports orientation was really that big of a factor, and I suspect it kind of inhibited growth of playerbase.

Each massively popular esport title has it's own path.

I have serious doubts whether sc2-like RTS game can really contend with games like LoL or Dota2 or CS:GO in popularity without reinventing the genre. Maybe s.t. like WC3 but team-based.


I'm curious how you reach this conclusion and don't go the step further that mobas are the reinventing of the RTS genre that cut out the less desirable parts. Balance is a lot easier to manage when all the players have access to the same heroes. There is a fine art to asymmetrical advantages of different races in RTS, but this is typically covered by heroes having different timings, strengths, and weaknesses.

I can see MOBAs as reinvention of RTS but that's reinvention beyond recognition (almost). The RTSes as they currently exist are not really as popular to watch. Perhaps it's due to the amount of how many things are happening across the map.
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
November 02 2020 12:17 GMT
#99
I also see auto battlers as a successor to an RTS. I think that was part of the appeal of the rise of the auto battler genre in the last 2 years, was that it gave a nice venue for people to make awesome armies and have em clash it out without having to worry about apm/resources and the like.
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
Dangermousecatdog
Profile Joined December 2010
United Kingdom7084 Posts
November 02 2020 12:30 GMT
#100
I can see MOBAs as a different sort of RTS, but auto battlers are not a type of RTS, as inherent in RTS real time and the ability to micro. Autochess is a turn based game, not real time; they are two different type of games.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko281
LamboSC2 248
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28862
Calm 6016
Rain 1893
Bisu 1472
Horang2 523
Jaedong 521
Rush 366
BeSt 333
Soma 262
Stork 227
[ Show more ]
Zeus 199
Mini 152
Light 119
Free 113
Larva 113
Snow 99
ZerO 94
Mong 86
Barracks 83
Pusan 79
Mind 75
910 70
Killer 44
Hyun 38
Sea.KH 38
ToSsGirL 35
NaDa 31
Shinee 27
Bale 26
Hm[arnc] 22
Sexy 22
Terrorterran 21
Noble 20
sorry 17
Aegong 15
Sacsri 7
FanTaSy 1
Dota 2
Gorgc7248
Counter-Strike
fl0m2438
olofmeister940
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King61
Other Games
gofns32041
singsing1778
B2W.Neo648
dupreeh391
crisheroes284
hiko12
ZerO(Twitch)2
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2805
• Nemesis1974
Other Games
• WagamamaTV171
Upcoming Events
OSC
10h 47m
Big Brain Bouts
21h 47m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.