• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 16:47
CEST 22:47
KST 05:47
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War325.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202621Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
We built a tool to spot smurfs at match start 5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR?
Tourneys
ScienceCraft (October 24-25) - Live Event RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Making an Online Broodwar Manager Game BW General Discussion Rollback Netcode in Brood War Sagi.gg Launcher Released Fantasy returning?
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7824 users

Introducing Frost Giant Studios - Page 6

Forum Index > General Games
177 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
lestye
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States4243 Posts
November 02 2020 12:38 GMT
#101
On November 02 2020 21:30 Dangermousecatdog wrote:
I can see MOBAs as a different sort of RTS, but auto battlers are not a type of RTS, as inherent in RTS real time and the ability to micro. Autochess is a turn based game, not real time; they are two different type of games.

That's true.....but for casuals, who aren't going to micro much, or even goes far as to say they hate micro, I think its as real time as it typically gets for them. They're not really interested in multitasking but building up armies and watching them clash in glorious combat. It looks just as real-time as it would to them playing age of empires/starcraft and just a moving, if that makes sense.
"You guys are just edgelords. Embrace your inner weeb desu" -Zergneedsfood
TL+ Member
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-11-03 13:15:46
November 03 2020 13:12 GMT
#102
Well, you can always make a game that's
a) easy for the casuals
b) has enough depth for the pros
c) is great for spectators

You don't need to look further than Dawn of War 2 for that as it has all the required attributes. Squad based combat and commander units with RPG elements are easier to handle than individual units. There's no base building so that's out of the way. It looks amazing and has enough intricacies and depth for hardcore players to enjoy.

I have absolutely no idea why in DoW3 they've decided to abandon the winning formula (and it flopped hard which surprised no one except the publisher). They ended up having a newer game that looks worse than the previous iteration in the graphics department and is mechanically harder to execute while at the same time having much less depth to it. I have no idea who their intended audience was.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
November 03 2020 13:36 GMT
#103
Was Dawn of War 2 even successful as a game? I've always felt that Company of Heroes had the better squad based RTS, but maybe just bias on my part. Never picked up Dawn of War 3, but I guess there's a DoW3 and not a CoH3 so I'm probably just wrong here.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
tili
Profile Joined July 2012
United States1332 Posts
November 03 2020 15:12 GMT
#104
so damn excited.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
November 04 2020 04:50 GMT
#105
On November 03 2020 22:36 Blitzkrieg0 wrote:
Was Dawn of War 2 even successful as a game? I've always felt that Company of Heroes had the better squad based RTS, but maybe just bias on my part. Never picked up Dawn of War 3, but I guess there's a DoW3 and not a CoH3 so I'm probably just wrong here.


DoW2 was pretty successful. DoW3 was one of the very few games where I asked for a refund.

It's a pity that THQ/Relic aren't really there for it any more but the community has been doing great with unofficial patches like Elite Mod which is being developed by top competitive players and they're still holding some events.

The main difference between CoH and DoW2 is that DoW is less spammy as you typically have fewer units. This also means that units have much more impact and preserving them is of utmost importance. You also get more interesting units because of the setting so you get your jump infantry, teleporting units, invisible units etc.

Like I mentioned previously, it's easier for the newbies because of smaller scale in general. Great for spectators since you get more flashy abilities and less stuff on the field making it easier to follow. At the same time it's really good for advanced players as you have to use the few resources you have to get the best out of them (and it's harder than it seems).

Here's an example of some recent games:

Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Miragee
Profile Joined December 2009
8713 Posts
November 04 2020 11:06 GMT
#106
On November 03 2020 22:12 Manit0u wrote:
Well, you can always make a game that's
a) easy for the casuals
b) has enough depth for the pros
c) is great for spectators

You don't need to look further than Dawn of War 2 for that as it has all the required attributes. Squad based combat and commander units with RPG elements are easier to handle than individual units. There's no base building so that's out of the way. It looks amazing and has enough intricacies and depth for hardcore players to enjoy.

I have absolutely no idea why in DoW3 they've decided to abandon the winning formula (and it flopped hard which surprised no one except the publisher). They ended up having a newer game that looks worse than the previous iteration in the graphics department and is mechanically harder to execute while at the same time having much less depth to it. I have no idea who their intended audience was.


This surprises me. When I bought DoW2 back when it was released and played/watched some of it, I quickly concluded that it was absolute garbage. I never bought any of the expansions or DoW3 after that. Even years later when I tuned into an event it was utterly boring to watch. How popular was it during its peak and how long did it last?
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-11-04 11:17:17
November 04 2020 11:16 GMT
#107
On November 04 2020 20:06 Miragee wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2020 22:12 Manit0u wrote:
Well, you can always make a game that's
a) easy for the casuals
b) has enough depth for the pros
c) is great for spectators

You don't need to look further than Dawn of War 2 for that as it has all the required attributes. Squad based combat and commander units with RPG elements are easier to handle than individual units. There's no base building so that's out of the way. It looks amazing and has enough intricacies and depth for hardcore players to enjoy.

I have absolutely no idea why in DoW3 they've decided to abandon the winning formula (and it flopped hard which surprised no one except the publisher). They ended up having a newer game that looks worse than the previous iteration in the graphics department and is mechanically harder to execute while at the same time having much less depth to it. I have no idea who their intended audience was.


This surprises me. When I bought DoW2 back when it was released and played/watched some of it, I quickly concluded that it was absolute garbage. I never bought any of the expansions or DoW3 after that. Even years later when I tuned into an event it was utterly boring to watch. How popular was it during its peak and how long did it last?


It was fairly popular all things considered. It's hard to judge it against the giants since it has always been rather niche series but as far as I know it is pretty highly praised and well received. Especially the expansions since Relic made the mistake of going double-DRM with initial DoW2 release (steam + xbox). It slowed down the patching (since all the patches had to be vetted by Microsoft and it was long and tedious process so they waited until more changes accumulated to do it in one batch rather than small incremental updates) and was annoying as hell. Expansions remedied it (and can be played standalone) and Retribution is pretty great. I play it from time to time to this day and have around 500 hours put into it which is quite a lot considering my rather casual approach to games.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
Latham
Profile Blog Joined May 2007
9593 Posts
November 04 2020 15:47 GMT
#108
Please just make sure it's predominantly a macro RTS (with only some micro incentives) and please balance for the top 1% of the playerbase, not bronze leaguers.
For the curse of life is the curse of want. PC = https://be.pcpartpicker.com/user/LathamTK/builds/#view=CrqmP6
Joni_
Profile Joined April 2011
Germany355 Posts
November 04 2020 15:59 GMT
#109
I played quite a lot of DoW (even tho I only joined the party with DC), but I never got into DoW2. It just seemed completely unacceptable that the game got rid of base building and I somehow never got interested in it (mainly due to most of my friends that I played DoW with really hating it during beta). Didnt know that it actually developed into a game with an active community or anything like that.
Blitzkrieg0
Profile Blog Joined August 2010
United States13132 Posts
November 04 2020 17:37 GMT
#110
On November 04 2020 20:16 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 04 2020 20:06 Miragee wrote:
On November 03 2020 22:12 Manit0u wrote:
Well, you can always make a game that's
a) easy for the casuals
b) has enough depth for the pros
c) is great for spectators

You don't need to look further than Dawn of War 2 for that as it has all the required attributes. Squad based combat and commander units with RPG elements are easier to handle than individual units. There's no base building so that's out of the way. It looks amazing and has enough intricacies and depth for hardcore players to enjoy.

I have absolutely no idea why in DoW3 they've decided to abandon the winning formula (and it flopped hard which surprised no one except the publisher). They ended up having a newer game that looks worse than the previous iteration in the graphics department and is mechanically harder to execute while at the same time having much less depth to it. I have no idea who their intended audience was.


This surprises me. When I bought DoW2 back when it was released and played/watched some of it, I quickly concluded that it was absolute garbage. I never bought any of the expansions or DoW3 after that. Even years later when I tuned into an event it was utterly boring to watch. How popular was it during its peak and how long did it last?


It was fairly popular all things considered. It's hard to judge it against the giants since it has always been rather niche series but as far as I know it is pretty highly praised and well received. Especially the expansions since Relic made the mistake of going double-DRM with initial DoW2 release (steam + xbox). It slowed down the patching (since all the patches had to be vetted by Microsoft and it was long and tedious process so they waited until more changes accumulated to do it in one batch rather than small incremental updates) and was annoying as hell. Expansions remedied it (and can be played standalone) and Retribution is pretty great. I play it from time to time to this day and have around 500 hours put into it which is quite a lot considering my rather casual approach to games.


Also looks like competitive DoW2 is played with a third party mod for balance because the developers abandoned it. Very hard entry for players sadly.
I'll always be your shadow and veil your eyes from states of ain soph aur.
Manit0u
Profile Blog Joined August 2004
Poland17850 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-11-04 21:00:26
November 04 2020 20:59 GMT
#111
Well, the publisher went bankrupt and the devs moved to doing different things so community took balancing into their own hands. I'm not saying to get into it now, I'm saying it used to be quite popular (we have to remember that this game is pretty old after all) and still has dedicated players who keep patching and re-balancing the game to keep it fresh.
Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
M3t4PhYzX
Profile Joined March 2019
Poland4290 Posts
November 05 2020 08:56 GMT
#112
Promising stuff.. I hope they will be able to deliver in the future.

I'm not having huge hopes though.
Harris1st
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Germany7424 Posts
November 05 2020 16:12 GMT
#113
On November 05 2020 00:47 Latham wrote:
Please just make sure it's predominantly a macro RTS (with only some micro incentives) and please balance for the top 1% of the playerbase, not bronze leaguers.


Haha I want it to go in the exact opposite direction xD
Lots of micro and skillshots. Base building no more than a Protoss kinda level. With Terran I get always supply capped cause I only send one SCV to build 6 depots ^^'
Terran macro is definitely the hardest (for me).
Go Serral! GG EZ for Ence. Flashbang dance FTW
gTank
Profile Joined January 2011
Austria2668 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-11-06 19:57:07
November 06 2020 19:51 GMT
#114
wait somehow I got confused...
One crossed wire, one wayward pinch of potassium chlorate, one errant twitch...and kablooie!
_Spartak_
Profile Joined October 2013
Turkey460 Posts
March 25 2021 11:34 GMT
#115
Frost Giant got $5M more in additional funding, taking the total to $9.7M. They also had a new interview with Forbes:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/hnewman/2021/03/24/ex-blizzard-leaders-raise-97-million-to-create-new-real-time-strategy-game/
WombaT
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
Northern Ireland27463 Posts
March 25 2021 23:05 GMT
#116
Subbing for news.

I just hope they have a vision of what they want to do, while seeking community input rather than being lead by a community with vastly different preferences. Trying to be all things to all men and you end up not appealing to anyone.
'You'll always be the cuddly marsupial of my heart, despite the inherent flaws of your ancestry' - Squat
TL+ Member
Archeon
Profile Joined May 2011
3274 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-04-10 16:56:15
March 26 2021 02:01 GMT
#117
On November 04 2020 13:50 Manit0u wrote:
Show nested quote +
On November 03 2020 22:36 Blitzkrieg0 wrote:
Was Dawn of War 2 even successful as a game? I've always felt that Company of Heroes had the better squad based RTS, but maybe just bias on my part. Never picked up Dawn of War 3, but I guess there's a DoW3 and not a CoH3 so I'm probably just wrong here.


DoW2 was pretty successful. DoW3 was one of the very few games where I asked for a refund.

It's a pity that THQ/Relic aren't really there for it any more but the community has been doing great with unofficial patches like Elite Mod which is being developed by top competitive players and they're still holding some events.

The main difference between CoH and DoW2 is that DoW is less spammy as you typically have fewer units. This also means that units have much more impact and preserving them is of utmost importance. You also get more interesting units because of the setting so you get your jump infantry, teleporting units, invisible units etc.

Like I mentioned previously, it's easier for the newbies because of smaller scale in general. Great for spectators since you get more flashy abilities and less stuff on the field making it easier to follow. At the same time it's really good for advanced players as you have to use the few resources you have to get the best out of them (and it's harder than it seems).

Here's an example of some recent games:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v9Lj9hT710

My impression was that a lot of people played the single player campaign, which was pretty fun and maybe some survival and that the PvP community was very small to begin with. When I started playing it I initially thought that it was hard to get into, because there are ton of upgrades on your units and I had no idea which to get when and need to keep my units alive for the upgrades to do anything. That the game is really roundabout at getting a pve skirmish match started and that the pvp had nothing to do with the campaign and was a bit removed from the typical PvP RTS made the entry unnecessary hard imo. That the game is still somewhat alive is impressive though.

On an unrelated note I thought dow3 was still fun and did a better job connecting campaign and pvp. I think they tried to connect the more viewer friendly terrible damage with the dow mechanics, but the map pool was utterly awful at release and it has the typical "terrible damage means terrible snowball" effect, which means that early casualties 100% decide the match.
low gravity, yes-yes!
asadsasdgfd
Profile Joined November 2021
1 Post
November 20 2021 23:16 GMT
#118
Make sure to check out there twitter, they just had a chicken wing contest and baked cookies!


User was banned for this post.
pebble444
Profile Blog Joined March 2011
Italy2503 Posts
November 21 2021 04:29 GMT
#119
Sorry to be a negative Nancy but this whole thing sounds like a fluke; what is the idea here? There is not even the hint of a game concept being created, just “we want to make the next big rts that everybody subscribes to” and “have millions of viewers on twitch”
I’ ve seen single people in university create beta games and have more passion, more substance, more reality too it;
Looks like someone who created something years ago, and now is looking for funding to do what exactly?
A person putting their slippers and relaxing on an armchair is doing something more interesting than this
"Awaken my Child, and embrace the Glory that is your Birthright"
_Spartak_
Profile Joined October 2013
Turkey460 Posts
Last Edited: 2021-11-22 06:21:36
November 21 2021 17:25 GMT
#120
They have posted several updates so far on various topics on the Frost Giant subreddit:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FrostGiant/comments/kaj8sg/our_thoughts_on_heroes/
https://www.reddit.com/r/FrostGiant/comments/l7z0qm/our_thoughts_on_asymmetry/
https://www.reddit.com/r/FrostGiant/comments/mbjw3c/our_thoughts_on_onboarding/
https://www.reddit.com/r/FrostGiant/comments/nxn6lh/our_thoughts_on_teams/
https://www.reddit.com/r/FrostGiant/comments/phah0a/our_thoughts_on_win_conditions/
https://www.reddit.com/r/FrostGiant/comments/qvee6i/our_thoughts_on_social_features/

They are also gathering questions for a community AMA:

https://www.reddit.com/r/FrostGiant/comments/qflqi8/frost_giant_oct_2021_ama/

Not to mention the hours of interviews out there where they talk about their approach to designing a new RTS. They haven't shown anything concrete yet because there is nothing to show (at least not publicly, they apparently shared the progress in a community summit where they invited RTS pros and community figures). It has been just over a year since they founded the studio. At this point in development, most studios don't even announce that they are making a game, let alone share concrete details. They have been pretty transparent so far.
Prev 1 4 5 6 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 2h 14m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
mouzHeroMarine 637
ProTech146
UpATreeSC 88
Nina 36
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 15734
910 68
soO 43
Dota 2
Gorgc7120
monkeys_forever100
canceldota70
League of Legends
Doublelift1394
Heroes of the Storm
Grubby4182
Other Games
summit1g2234
fl0m1471
olofmeister937
FrodaN837
Liquid`Hasu292
C9.Mang0230
Livibee187
IndyStarCraft 113
Organizations
StarCraft 2
angryscii 15
[ Show 19 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• Adnapsc2 8
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• blackmanpl 45
• FirePhoenix13
• Michael_bg 5
• niya90s 2
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• masondota2870
• WagamamaTV358
Other Games
• imaqtpie1100
• Scarra711
• Shiphtur657
• tFFMrPink 13
Upcoming Events
OSC
2h 14m
Big Brain Bouts
13h 14m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
20h 14m
BSL: Ladder Tournament
22h 14m
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 13h
Patches Events
1d 18h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
BSL Open Qualifier
1d 22h
OSC
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
[ Show More ]
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.