• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 08:13
CEST 14:13
KST 21:13
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror4[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
Rollback Netcode in Brood War05.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 202618Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)0SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup10StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)78
StarCraft 2
General
5.0.17 Patch Notes - October 7, 2026 [Old] StarCraft 3 Reportedly in Development StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? Weekly Cups Results (Sep 28-Oct 4)
Tourneys
RSL 2026 Offline Finals LCQ Sign-Ups Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) ISSL (IntoTheTV x SOOP SC2 League): Premier Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Sagi.gg Launcher Released Rollback Netcode in Brood War Fantasy returning? GG Lan Fest Sofia, Bulgaria [this November] ASL22 General Discussion
Tourneys
[Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Semifinal B [ASL22] Semifinal A [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4
Strategy
Simple Questions, Simple Answers Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do?
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine Artificial Intelligence Thread Russo-Ukrainian War Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
[Manga] One Piece Movie Discussion! Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 11197 users

Introducing Frost Giant Studios - Page 3

Forum Index > General Games
177 CommentsPost a Reply
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Little-Chimp
Profile Joined February 2008
Canada951 Posts
October 21 2020 04:19 GMT
#41
This warms my RTS loving heart. Even if these guys don't produce the next Starcraft 1 or 2 or Warcraft 3 I'll be happy playing a quality RTS. Awesome news.
Golgotha
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Korea (South)8418 Posts
October 21 2020 05:25 GMT
#42
Wishing for the best. Please take your time. I've seen too many shitty projects and false promises. Take your time and hire the best of the best!
SmoKim
Profile Joined March 2010
Denmark10305 Posts
October 21 2020 06:02 GMT
#43
I wonder if this will put pressure on Blizzard to deliver with Starcraft/Warcraft franchises in the future. While MOBAS and FPS are dominating the esports scene, Blizz is still king of RTS - mostly because there really is no alternative (not saying there isn´t alot of great RTS games, but they are very different from Blizzard games)

If Frost Giant (and Dreamhaven) both develops a "Competitive RTS", it could force Blizzard to invest alot more in RTS. So this could might be a win-win. Or Blizzard could ignore everything and loose the last genre where they are still king (if only by default).

Very interesting news. Excited to see what the future will bring.
"LOL I have 202 supply right now (3 minutes later)..."LOL NOW I HAVE 220 SUPPLY SUP?!?!?" - Mondragon
True_Spike
Profile Joined July 2004
Poland3434 Posts
October 21 2020 06:28 GMT
#44
Finger's crossed, but it will be hard to match SC without brand recognition.
ZerglingSoup
Profile Joined June 2009
United States346 Posts
October 21 2020 06:52 GMT
#45
So far, I am hopeful, albeit a bit skeptical regarding this project. Obviously they have some of the best experience in the business as well as a pretty good pitch if they were able to land nearly $5 million in seed capital.

On the other hand, I hope the development gameplan clearly defines the scope, role and limitations around community feedback. Otherwise, I can see this easily ending up being a rudderless project that spends years chasing its own tail.

I really hope the creative director is empowered to thoughtfully veto community input and wall off major design decisions in favor of fulfilling their own cohesive vision. RTS as a genre tends to elicit very passionately irrational input from players and it would be a shame to see that dynamic derail or bog down the development process.

Finally, while I 100% understand the theory behind following audience trends, I'm not convinced that a fortnite-meets-fall guys rts is going to really make a lasting mark. So my biggest wish is that their game or universe or whatever they are creating gets its own soul.

RTS is a genre with a lot of depth, closer to an RPG than a FPS or racing game. It should have the capacity to be cute, but it also needs the capacity to be dark, to be poignant, to be irreverent, to be touching and to be a whole range of other things that makes a great game worth coming back to again and again. If manic pixie lootbox games are what is being represented as a model for audience tastes, I could easily see this falling into the deep fissure between two very different audiences that ultimately want two very different things, no matter how much you try to "onramp" them into each other.

This is all just food for thought. I am already signed up for the newsletter and will definitely have my hat in the ring to be a game tester and all that and I'm looking forward to playing whatever it is this studio puts out!
Stream plz
spookey1
Profile Joined May 2020
4 Posts
October 21 2020 07:48 GMT
#46
Hype!

GLHF and can't wait to buy your new game!
Edpayasugo
Profile Joined April 2013
United Kingdom2223 Posts
October 21 2020 07:59 GMT
#47
Great news!
FlaSh MMA INnoVation FanTaSy MKP TY Ryung | soO Dark Rogue | HuK PartinG Stork State
Shuffleblade
Profile Joined February 2012
Sweden1903 Posts
October 21 2020 08:02 GMT
#48
Amazing news, I am super hyped. I don't care about time, I don't intend to die anytime soon and even as I near 40 I will want to play RTS, I don't care I am shit at them. Just having a new triple S RTS being developed makes me very happy because starcraft 2 is frankly looking to be on the decline.

Game developers haven't really got this yet, but you can't release the next big hit if you just keep copying the recent big hits.

I see a lot of posters and community figures discussing how this game should work (or how they want it to work) micro/macro balance, economic system and how fast paced the combat will be.

To me the thing I am curious about, which will decide if I like this game or not is how it feels to play. I am sure that even features of RTS that I dislike can become great if designed right. An economic system, while obvioustly interesting will likely say nothing about if you will like the game or not. The question is how the economies are balanced and how the game feels to play, its macro cycles and flow in different matchups.

One huge factor about how an RTS feels to play is where the game puts its strategic decisions, sc2 are a lot about build orders, scouting and the units that hard counter eachother. Is that the direction this will go, or will be more similar units with more soft counters, that will make it harder to make units actually feel different and unique but it takes away the rock-paper-scissors which is not an enjoyable feel. In sc2 scouting is easy but also very important, for example I found it hilarious that proxies have become so huge, recently even walling in early as terran. 'This shows how starcraft 2 revolves heavily around scouting, if you dont scout you can just die therefore in sc2 they made scouting easy. What strategy rose to prominence after years of mapping out the game, ways to deny scouting. The second popular thing, natural deniers, ebays or pylons to block expansions. Relatively cheap investments that removes or limits the opponents options, so even if they scout and now what they want to do they might be unable to greed or hit the kind of timing they would want.

A long rant perhaps but its so fasncinating to me, real time strategy game, a game about decisions and what frost giant needs to do is figure out where do they put the decisionmaking that makes it into a strategy game while keeping micro/macro as smooth mechanics and dont ever rely on hardcounters.

As a final comment I hope they manage to make the game about small skirmishers without turning into a harass fiesta like Blizz did with starcraft 2.
Maru, Bomber, TY, Dear, Classic, DeParture and Rogue!
bela.mervado
Profile Joined December 2008
Hungary417 Posts
October 21 2020 08:15 GMT
#49
we.. I.. need black dragons please
I'm willing to trade ultras for them

good luck guys, count me in for alpha testing.
Neneu
Profile Joined September 2010
Norway492 Posts
October 21 2020 08:44 GMT
#50
This is amazing! I have great hopes for this, love the core values! :D
AlgeriaT
Profile Joined April 2010
Sweden2197 Posts
October 21 2020 10:25 GMT
#51
Cautious bulge.
CORN GIRL + Flash + FanTaSy + CholeraSC + iNcontroL 4 eva <3
nimdil
Profile Blog Joined January 2011
Poland3774 Posts
October 21 2020 10:47 GMT
#52
This hype reminds me Daikatana story. Please don't be Daikatana story.
deacon.frost
Profile Joined February 2013
Czech Republic12134 Posts
October 21 2020 11:51 GMT
#53
On October 21 2020 02:01 Pandemona wrote:
Oh they are partly funded by Riot games, interesting.

Best of luck! Hoping for a nice new RTS game in a few years time.

Why not, LoL is based on DotA and technically is a subgenre of RTS.
I imagine France should be able to take this unless Lilbow is busy practicing for Starcraft III. | KadaverBB is my fairy ban mother.
Swisslink
Profile Joined March 2011
2958 Posts
October 21 2020 12:14 GMT
#54
Tasteless‘ comment on this situation kinda worried me in regard to Blizzard in recent years. Apparently the developers at Blizzard wanted to create new RTS games, but Activision refused to greenlight them? If that is actually the case (and I trust Tasteless here) this is a really bad prospect for the future of StarCraft and WarCraft, imo. And it left me confused, because StarCraft sold millions of copies. What the fuck do they even want? Most developers would probably be happy to have such a succesful game in their portfolio.

Anyway, this news is great. StarCraft II might have had its flaws and some of them might not have been adressed properly, but overall it is still the most popular RTS in recent years for a reason. I‘d love to see what they come up with and I hope the competitive aspect won‘t be ignored. RTS for me has always been about the complexity. And while there are good games that have been simplified to make it more enjoyable for newcomers, I really hope we have completely distinct races, we have a proper resource system and we have a proper base building system in place. I
Cinskywind1
Profile Joined October 2016
19 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-21 14:32:41
October 21 2020 14:13 GMT
#55
Shut up and take my money!

I've tried multiple RTS over the last 10 years but always come back to SC2 since it's still the best. I'm still hoping Sc2 continues on, but damn a new RTS designed by the people involved in SC2 would be amazing. Still hoping to see great things from Dreamhaven but looking forward to what these guys can do.

I do like their statement on their site:
"Strategically expand the audience. First appeal to the core audience, then also provide a great experience to strategy gamers at large. Establish a strong main before taking the natural. "

No 1 base, canon rush for these guys then?
Excalibur_Z
Profile Joined October 2002
United States12257 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-21 15:11:03
October 21 2020 14:59 GMT
#56
On October 21 2020 11:30 BLinD-RawR wrote:
pretty interesting to see Frost Giant on TL.


It makes sense. Monk is on the team after all

On October 21 2020 21:14 Swisslink wrote:
Tasteless‘ comment on this situation kinda worried me in regard to Blizzard in recent years. Apparently the developers at Blizzard wanted to create new RTS games, but Activision refused to greenlight them? If that is actually the case (and I trust Tasteless here) this is a really bad prospect for the future of StarCraft and WarCraft, imo. And it left me confused, because StarCraft sold millions of copies. What the fuck do they even want? Most developers would probably be happy to have such a succesful game in their portfolio.

Anyway, this news is great. StarCraft II might have had its flaws and some of them might not have been adressed properly, but overall it is still the most popular RTS in recent years for a reason. I‘d love to see what they come up with and I hope the competitive aspect won‘t be ignored. RTS for me has always been about the complexity. And while there are good games that have been simplified to make it more enjoyable for newcomers, I really hope we have completely distinct races, we have a proper resource system and we have a proper base building system in place. I


Activision's focus has always been on maximizing revenue via long-term installments, since those proven streams have made them into an effective and consistent publisher. I believe it's not outside the realm of possibility that they reviewed Starcraft 2's revenue model and determined that it appealed to a niche audience (no console users, limited casual appeal) that only became increasingly niche with each expansion pack (since not everyone will adopt). Couple that with the Galaxy Editor being more complex than StarEdit or WorldEdit (high barrier for entry) resulting in a hindered custom game scene, and it doesn't sound like a new RTS would have been as profitable as other ventures. Co-op helped open the game up to casual players a little bit more, but the fact that they're not continuing development on that mode must mean it's a minor or neutral undertaking. Just guessing here as a project manager myself.
Moderator
BLinD-RawR
Profile Blog Joined April 2010
ALLEYCAT BLUES51622 Posts
Last Edited: 2020-10-21 15:20:53
October 21 2020 15:06 GMT
#57
On October 21 2020 23:59 Excalibur_Z wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 21 2020 11:30 BLinD-RawR wrote:
pretty interesting to see Frost Giant on TL.


It makes sense. Monk is on the team after all


I mean this is more like Frost Giant in as a whole not just one of our own coming here which is when I say it like this, quite awesome.

looking forward to all the work including theory crafting as the project progresses in the years/months to come.
Brood War EICWoo Jung Ho, never forget.| Twitter: @BLinDRawR
dUTtrOACh
Profile Joined December 2010
Canada2339 Posts
October 21 2020 15:26 GMT
#58
Cautiously optimistic about this news. A lot of name-dropping happening here, but that's about it afaik.

Five-mil can buy a little quality or a lot of shit, and it can't possibly be enough to make the next trip-A RTS. Hopefully the funding well doesn't dry up. Best of luck to the developers in this ambitious endeavour.
twitch.tv/duttroach
atchosvk
Profile Joined April 2018
55 Posts
October 21 2020 15:32 GMT
#59
This is a great news but we are getting older and I am not sure if the interest is there for RTS.
atchosvk
Profile Joined April 2018
55 Posts
October 21 2020 15:42 GMT
#60
[QUOTE]On October 21 2020 15:02 SmoKim wrote:
I wonder if this will put pressure on Blizzard to deliver with Starcraft/Warcraft franchises in the future. While MOBAS and FPS are dominating the esports scene, Blizz is still king of RTS - mostly because there really is no alternative (not saying there isn´t alot of great RTS games, but they are very different from Blizzard games)

I agree that Blizzard is still the King but in all honesty the job was done by their former employees and executives. What remains of blizzard organization is just a bunch of greedy people that do not give a shit about players experience.
They tend to lean torwards the most profitable business model and that's obviously not RTS.

Also look at what they are doing in WoW, the content is shit, there are now transmogs in micro transactions on top of subscriptions etc..

Blizzard is led by Greed. End of the story.
Prev 1 2 3 4 5 7 8 9 Next All
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Next event in 10h 47m
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
Lowko281
LamboSC2 248
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 28862
Calm 6016
Rain 1893
Bisu 1472
Horang2 523
Jaedong 521
Rush 366
BeSt 333
Soma 262
Stork 227
[ Show more ]
Zeus 199
Mini 152
Light 119
Free 113
Larva 113
Snow 99
ZerO 94
Mong 86
Barracks 83
Pusan 79
Mind 75
910 70
Killer 44
Hyun 38
Sea.KH 38
ToSsGirL 35
NaDa 31
Shinee 27
Bale 26
Hm[arnc] 22
Sexy 22
Terrorterran 21
Noble 20
sorry 17
Aegong 15
Sacsri 7
FanTaSy 1
Dota 2
Gorgc7248
Counter-Strike
fl0m2438
olofmeister940
Super Smash Bros
Mew2King61
Other Games
gofns32041
singsing1778
B2W.Neo648
dupreeh391
crisheroes284
hiko12
ZerO(Twitch)2
Organizations
StarCraft: Brood War
lovetv 9
[ Show 12 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• FirePhoenix10
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
League of Legends
• Jankos2805
• Nemesis1974
Other Games
• WagamamaTV171
Upcoming Events
OSC
10h 47m
Big Brain Bouts
21h 47m
Rex vs INexorable
GgMaChine vs HeRoMaRinE
Reynor vs herO
AI Arena Tournament
1d 4h
BSL: Ladder Tournament
1d 6h
Sparkling Tuna Cup
1d 21h
Patches Events
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
BSL Open Qualifier
2 days
WardiTV Weekly
3 days
PiGosaur Cup
4 days
[ Show More ]
The PondCast
5 days
Online Event
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

Proleague 2026-10-08
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
HCC Season 3
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.