• Log InLog In
  • Register
Liquid`
Team Liquid Liquipedia
EDT 00:53
CEST 06:53
KST 13:53
  • Home
  • Forum
  • Calendar
  • Streams
  • Liquipedia
  • Features
  • Store
  • EPT
  • TL+
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Smash
  • Heroes
  • Counter-Strike
  • Overwatch
  • Liquibet
  • Fantasy StarCraft
  • TLPD
  • StarCraft 2
  • Brood War
  • Blogs
Forum Sidebar
Events/Features
News
Featured News
[ASL22] Ro4 Preview: Mirror Mirror2[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: Within Reach5[ASL22] Ro8 Preview: In A Tizzy11[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Holy Diver5[ASL22] Ro16 Preview: Rough Waters10
Community News
SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup8StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026)67Weekly Cups (Sept 21-27): herO and ByuN double2Weekly Cups (Sep 13-20): herO scores triple3BSL Season 2316
StarCraft 2
General
How do you feel about the mass reverts in the 5.0.17 PTR? SC4ALL: II SC2 Complete Invited Player Lineup StarCraft II 5.0.17 PTR Patch Notes (Sept 30, 2026) Back to SC2 after 14 years - Protoss CTRL groups? October World Ranking: herO stays #1, ByuN returns
Tourneys
Stellar Fest TWO the Moon (Dec 16-20) Sparkling Tuna Cup - Weekly Open Tournament 2026 GSTL Grand Finals Sea Duckling Open (Global, Bronze-Diamond) SC2 INu's Battles#21 [ 3-Days tournament ]
Strategy
[H] ZvP Mid-Late Game: Stalkers Collossi HT
Custom Maps
[M] (2) Sweltering Sands [M] (2) Frigid Storage
External Content
Mutation # 546 Catch the Train The PondCast: SC2 News & Results Mutation # 545 And Drops and Rifts Mutation # 544 Double Trouble
Brood War
General
Fantasy returning? Sagi.gg Launcher Released BW General Discussion PLAYzone Challenge - open offline tour in Prague 20-year-old Valorant player starting StarCraft
Tourneys
[ASL22] Semifinal A [Megathread] Daily Proleagues [ASL22] Ro8 Day 4 2v2v2v2 Tournament
Strategy
Cliff Jump Revisited (1 in a 1000 strategy) Replay Review Process - What do you do? Simple Questions, Simple Answers Odyssey Mineral Stack Saturation
Other Games
General Games
Nintendo Switch Thread General RTS Discussion Thread Warcraft III: The Frozen Throne Stormgate/Frost Giant Megathread Total Annihilation Zero
Dota 2
Dota 2 Champions League Season 3 Begins April 25! Official 'what is Dota anymore' discussion
League of Legends
[TL LoL EUW IHs] Teemo shall perish
Heroes of the Storm
Heroes of the Storm 2.0
Hearthstone
Deck construction bug
TL Mafia
TL Mafia Community Thread
Community
General
Russo-Ukrainian War Thread Things Aren’t Peaceful in Palestine US Politics Mega-thread Canadian Politics Mega-thread Artificial Intelligence Thread
Fan Clubs
Serral Fan Club
Media & Entertainment
Movie Discussion! [Manga] One Piece Diablo Animated Series on Netflix
Sports
Football (Soccer) Thread MLB/Baseball 2023
World Cup 2022
Tech Support
Computer Build, Upgrade & Buying Resource Thread
TL Community
Recent Gifted Posts
Blogs
[ASL22] Ro4 Day1 Ticket Giv…
bITt.mAN
Escaping Into Video Games: G…
TrAiDoS
38 yo Retired SWE loo…
PurE)Rabbit-SF
Can Bots Beat Pros?? Starcr…
namkraft
[meme] I finally understa…
LUCKY_NOOB
Regacy Esports:Our Goa…
regacyesports
Customize Sidebar...

Website Feedback

Closed Threads



Active: 7790 users

TL Chess Match 4 - Page 90

Forum Index > General Games
Post a Reply
Prev 1 88 89 90 91 92 140 Next
Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
October 08 2011 04:20 GMT
#1781
greggy wrote:
Show nested quote +
Ng5 wrote:
League of Legends, here I come.


I am disappoint


Haha. It's a cute game. Even my mother thinks so. With all the time I spend on playing...

I like it for the cuteness. When I get around to play some (which happened more this week, due to some necessary more rest time as to not to die early) it sparkles that interest that chess did more than a decade ago. I didn't want to be one of the top players, but it tickles me when I learn something new about it. Even if it's as simple as doing last hitting a little better than last time, or not being such a noob all the time.

And you know...

If you can judge a person by the colour of their skin, then mister you're a better man than I...

In general I don't like Aerosmith... My ex did, but that's not even the reason.
jdseemoreglass
Profile Blog Joined July 2010
United States3773 Posts
October 08 2011 04:40 GMT
#1782
Wow, castle won? I thought for sure it was going to be Nxe4 given all the analysis going that direction.
"If you want this forum to be full of half-baked philosophy discussions between pompous faggots like yourself forever, stay the course captain vanilla" - FakeSteve[TPR], 2006
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-08 05:26:03
October 08 2011 05:21 GMT
#1783
Castle it is I think I'm gonna hold off the analysis until tomorrow however. Actually I take that back, I think I'll hold off until I see Ng5's move.


Edit: + Show Spoiler +
It looks like Black has quite a few possibilities. I'm thinking f5 if it is sound (no analysis right now to back it up though). Ba6 looks strong, but I think it is kind of the expected move, which makes me think Ng5 might avoid it.
Write your own song!
EvilNalu
Profile Joined May 2010
United States91 Posts
October 08 2011 06:13 GMT
#1784
+ Show Spoiler +
Now that 0-0 won, I think it's time for me to post some of the lines I've been analyzing. The first thing to note about the position after 14.0-0 is that Nxe4 is a credible threat now for white. For example, if black keeps the status quo in the center with a move like 14...a5, white can play 15.Nxe4 dxe4 16.Nd2 and now 16...f5 runs into 17.fxe6 Bxe6 18.Nxe4 and now white is 2 pawns up because of 18...Bxd4 19.Rd1. 16...Bb7 also fails after 17.Re1 f5 18.exf6 Bxf6 19.Nxe4 Bxd4 20.Rd1 again.

Of course, black will likely not waste a move and will challenge us in the center. 14...c5 has been advanced as a good try for black. 15.dxc5 Ba6 16.Rd1 seemed to be the main line, but I'm still not convinced that 16...Be2 doesn't gum up the works: + Show Spoiler +
17.Re1 Bxf3 18.gxf3 Nxd2 19.Bxd2 Rxb2 20.Be3 and white's pawns are all on the same color as the bishops and looks terribly vulnerable. I don't like the looks of that ending. Of course, it is possible that the 18.Nxf3 lines work.


In any case, I think white has an even stronger continuation in 14...c5 15.Rd1. In fact, I think this is pretty close to a refutation of 14...c5. Nxe4 is such a strong threat that black is pretty much forced to play 15...Nxd2.

Alternatives to 15...Nxd2:
+ Show Spoiler +
15...cxd4 16.Nxe4

15...Ke6 16.dxc5 Bxc5 17.Nxe4 dxe4 18.Ng5+
15...Ke6 16.dxc5 Nxd2 17.Rxd2 Bxc5 18.Rc2 and white will finally develop


After 14...c5 15.Rd1 Nxd2 16.Rxd2, black's options are:

16...cxd4 17.Rxd4 Ke6 18.b4
16...Ke6/c6 17.dxc5 Bxc5 18.b4
16...c4 17.Rc2 and white can finally develop his queenside pieces and look to his long term plan of pushing his kingside majority pawns. Black has also acquiesced to a more closed pawn structure where his two bishops will be less effective.

All of these options look pretty positive for white.

If that means black can't play either 16...a5 or c5, his game is not looking great.
chesshaha
Profile Joined March 2010
United States1117 Posts
October 08 2011 17:31 GMT
#1785
On October 08 2011 13:40 jdseemoreglass wrote:
Wow, castle won? I thought for sure it was going to be Nxe4 given all the analysis going that direction.


Yea, I was suprised too. I thought Nxe4 won too, I voted early, but I didn't keep up with the analysis. I still think Nxe4 is the better move. Hope I'm wrong.
"Hopefully you're not the real TLO so it's not casted" - SpecialK
Everhate
Profile Joined September 2010
United States640 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-09 03:05:34
October 09 2011 03:01 GMT
#1786
On October 08 2011 14:21 mastergriggy wrote:
Castle it is I think I'm gonna hold off the analysis until tomorrow however. Actually I take that back, I think I'll hold off until I see Ng5's move.


Edit: + Show Spoiler +
It looks like Black has quite a few possibilities. I'm thinking f5 if it is sound (no analysis right now to back it up though). Ba6 looks strong, but I think it is kind of the expected move, which makes me think Ng5 might avoid it.


Random thought on your spoiler

+ Show Spoiler +
With the board the way it is, there's really no difference between f4 and f5, as the pawn can be captured by white's e pawn in either case (en passe, n such). f5 I suppose does force the capture moreso than f4, though either way the pawn cap is the most likely response.

That line would be interesting though, mostly hinging on whether he chooses to recapture with the bishop or pawn...pawn is more stable and doesn't provide virtually free check via the knight, but restricts the bishops access to the right side of the board, though it does slightly free up the king's side rook (lost track of how to do the notation on a lot of these things, so have to use weaksauce descriptions)


Suffice to say, it's been interesting to lurk the thread and see how things develop when it's thinktank vs one man, with things being remarkably close this far in.
mastergriggy
Profile Blog Joined May 2010
United States1312 Posts
October 09 2011 17:57 GMT
#1787
Here's a line:
+ Show Spoiler +
14...Ba6 15. Rd1 Nxd2 16. Nxd2 (I suppose white could play Rxd2 but that lets Rb3, Rhb8, etc.) 16...Bd3 seems pretty forced but good for black.
Write your own song!
greggy
Profile Joined October 2010
United Kingdom1483 Posts
October 09 2011 19:09 GMT
#1788
On October 08 2011 13:20 Ng5 wrote:

Haha. It's a cute game. Even my mother thinks so.


Probably the reason you shouldn't be playing it >_>
Psilver
Profile Joined June 2008
Canada82 Posts
October 09 2011 20:48 GMT
#1789
On October 08 2011 15:13 EvilNalu wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Now that 0-0 won, I think it's time for me to post some of the lines I've been analyzing. The first thing to note about the position after 14.0-0 is that Nxe4 is a credible threat now for white. For example, if black keeps the status quo in the center with a move like 14...a5, white can play 15.Nxe4 dxe4 16.Nd2 and now 16...f5 runs into 17.fxe6 Bxe6 18.Nxe4 and now white is 2 pawns up because of 18...Bxd4 19.Rd1. 16...Bb7 also fails after 17.Re1 f5 18.exf6 Bxf6 19.Nxe4 Bxd4 20.Rd1 again.

Of course, black will likely not waste a move and will challenge us in the center. 14...c5 has been advanced as a good try for black. 15.dxc5 Ba6 16.Rd1 seemed to be the main line, but I'm still not convinced that 16...Be2 doesn't gum up the works: + Show Spoiler +
17.Re1 Bxf3 18.gxf3 Nxd2 19.Bxd2 Rxb2 20.Be3 and white's pawns are all on the same color as the bishops and looks terribly vulnerable. I don't like the looks of that ending. Of course, it is possible that the 18.Nxf3 lines work.


In any case, I think white has an even stronger continuation in 14...c5 15.Rd1. In fact, I think this is pretty close to a refutation of 14...c5. Nxe4 is such a strong threat that black is pretty much forced to play 15...Nxd2.

Alternatives to 15...Nxd2:
+ Show Spoiler +
15...cxd4 16.Nxe4

15...Ke6 16.dxc5 Bxc5 17.Nxe4 dxe4 18.Ng5+
15...Ke6 16.dxc5 Nxd2 17.Rxd2 Bxc5 18.Rc2 and white will finally develop


After 14...c5 15.Rd1 Nxd2 16.Rxd2, black's options are:

16...cxd4 17.Rxd4 Ke6 18.b4
16...Ke6/c6 17.dxc5 Bxc5 18.b4
16...c4 17.Rc2 and white can finally develop his queenside pieces and look to his long term plan of pushing his kingside majority pawns. Black has also acquiesced to a more closed pawn structure where his two bishops will be less effective.

All of these options look pretty positive for white.

If that means black can't play either 16...a5 or c5, his game is not looking great.


I think you made a very little mistake in the first line you analyzed, just saying cause it confused me when I read your post. + Show Spoiler +
and now 16...f5 runs into 17.fxe6 Bxe6. I think you meant 17.exf6 Bxf6
SheaR619
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2399 Posts
October 09 2011 21:22 GMT
#1790
I am predicting black next move to be + Show Spoiler +
Nxd2

Simply because now that we have castle and have the support of the rook, black will lose the knight there no matter wat. If he doesnt take something with it, then we will force a trade and he will eventually lose a pawn in the exchange.

Therefore....

14. 0-0, Nxd2
15. Nxd2, Bg5
16. b4, Re8

This is the best position I can get for black therefore I think this is most likely his move.
I may not be the best, but i will be some day...
dtvu
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia687 Posts
October 10 2011 00:04 GMT
#1791
I predict + Show Spoiler +
14... Ba6
, After which we are force to
+ Show Spoiler +
15. Re1 f5!

This line will cause us a bit of a problem
since 16. Nxe4 will be met with 16... fxe giving black a half-opened f file and also effective wrestled back the centre control.

It's prob better to go 16. b4 in this case, but then 16... g5! 17.h3 h5

Black will just continue to push the pawns with his bishops behind.

.
SheaR619
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2399 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-10 00:47:09
October 10 2011 00:44 GMT
#1792
On October 10 2011 09:04 dtvu wrote:
I predict + Show Spoiler +
14... Ba6
, After which we are force to
+ Show Spoiler +
15. Re1 f5!

This line will cause us a bit of a problem
since 16. Nxe4 will be met with 16... fxe giving black a half-opened f file and also effective wrestled back the centre control.

It's prob better to go 16. b4 in this case, but then 16... g5! 17.h3 h5

Black will just continue to push the pawns with his bishops behind.

.


If black were to do that...+ Show Spoiler +
We can en passant (google it if you dont know what it is) and we be in better position imo. The Ba6 would basically favor us since we were planning to do that move anyways to get rid of the center atleast that what i would think.

So if he does ba6 into f5 we would en passant the f pawn and it would be more like this

16. 0-0, Ba6
17. Re1, f5
18. e5xf5, Bxf6
19. Nxe4, Pxe4
20. Rxe4, ???

From here we be in favorable position and up 2 pawn now. I dont think he would do this. He could of taken it with the pawn instead of the bishop but the result would be the same. I anticipate he take with the bishop because it would put some pressure on the d pawn in the center instead of taking it with the g pawn because it doesnt so much except open up the file for the rook which is also a possibility if he choose to take with the pawn but it still doesnt change the fact that we will be up 2 pawn.
I may not be the best, but i will be some day...
dtvu
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia687 Posts
October 10 2011 01:38 GMT
#1793
On October 10 2011 09:44 SheaR619 wrote:
Show nested quote +
On October 10 2011 09:04 dtvu wrote:
I predict + Show Spoiler +
14... Ba6
, After which we are force to
+ Show Spoiler +
15. Re1 f5!

This line will cause us a bit of a problem
since 16. Nxe4 will be met with 16... fxe giving black a half-opened f file and also effective wrestled back the centre control.

It's prob better to go 16. b4 in this case, but then 16... g5! 17.h3 h5

Black will just continue to push the pawns with his bishops behind.

.


If black were to do that...+ Show Spoiler +
We can en passant (google it if you dont know what it is) and we be in better position imo. The Ba6 would basically favor us since we were planning to do that move anyways to get rid of the center atleast that what i would think.

So if he does ba6 into f5 we would en passant the f pawn and it would be more like this

16. 0-0, Ba6
17. Re1, f5
18. e5xf5, Bxf6
19. Nxe4, Pxe4
20. Rxe4, ???

From here we be in favorable position and up 2 pawn now. I dont think he would do this. He could of taken it with the pawn instead of the bishop but the result would be the same. I anticipate he take with the bishop because it would put some pressure on the d pawn in the center instead of taking it with the g pawn because it doesnt so much except open up the file for the rook which is also a possibility if he choose to take with the pawn but it still doesnt change the fact that we will be up 2 pawn.


You are right in that regard
+ Show Spoiler +
18.e5xf5 would give us a clear lead

I guess Nxd2 will gain back the pawn after Bg5 if black wanted to


Ng5
Profile Joined December 2009
702 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-10 01:46:52
October 10 2011 01:44 GMT
#1794
Sorry I didn't make the move yesterday. I'm posting it now.

Done.

By the way - was that the move you expected?

Will send out reminders in an hour or two.
dtvu
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia687 Posts
October 10 2011 01:57 GMT
#1795
On October 10 2011 10:44 Ng5 wrote:
Sorry I didn't make the move yesterday. I'm posting it now.

Done.

By the way - was that the move you expected?

Will send out reminders in an hour or two.


I was expecting g5, but I thought you might play Ba6 first.
dtvu
Profile Joined March 2010
Australia687 Posts
October 10 2011 02:04 GMT
#1796
I vote b4 as our next move. + Show Spoiler +
we haven't got much space to move and Nxe4 is a bad move at this point as it will open up the f file for black.
SheaR619
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2399 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-10 02:23:02
October 10 2011 02:08 GMT
#1797
I was expecting Nxd2....but I guess that over and done with.

Anyways, ill cast my vote right away

15. e5xf5
(en passant)
I may not be the best, but i will be some day...
GenesisX
Profile Blog Joined February 2010
Canada4267 Posts
October 10 2011 02:10 GMT
#1798
+ Show Spoiler +
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we invoke en passe with our pawn on e5? This would force ...Bd8, ...Bf8.
133 221 333 123 111
SheaR619
Profile Joined October 2010
United States2399 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-10 02:27:36
October 10 2011 02:16 GMT
#1799
On October 10 2011 11:04 dtvu wrote:
I vote b4 as our next move. + Show Spoiler +
we haven't got much space to move and Nxe4 is a bad move at this point as it will open up the f file for black.


Why not just....+ Show Spoiler +
En passant? It our only chance to do it. No need to rush for the b4 yet imo. I dont see a reason too. We can do b4 right after.

If we en passant...

15. e5xf5, Bxf6
16. b4, Nxd2
17. Bxd2, ??

From here it depend on what he want to do and we have secured the b4 pawn as well. We also got rid of the knight. Of course our pawn in the center kinda weak but I dont really see any way for him to get rid of it. Also our bishop is finally out because we have stopped the pinned and is in good shape and the knight is gone!

If he doesnt take with bishop....

15. e5xf5, g7xf6
16. b4, Nxd2
17. Bxd2, f5
18. Ne5+, ???

From here we are still in good position as well and because he took with the pawn, he has no more connection pawn. His pawn formation is very weakly spaced out. I doubt he will do this move know that other wise he wants to go for a kill and end it right away. Since this does open up the rook to attack the g pawn on our castle. But I think we can defend it easily if we played it correctly.

Your worried about space to move but I dont think we need to worry about it because we are going to move our rook into the center and force a trade anyways. This will open up the game more once we get the tempo to do so.



On October 10 2011 11:10 GenesisX wrote:
+ Show Spoiler +
Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't we invoke en passe with our pawn on e5? This would force ...Bd8, ...Bf8.


+ Show Spoiler +
We can, which is what i suggested but I dont think he would do Bd8 or Bf8 because he could just take the f6 pawn with the bishop and pressure the d4 pawn.
I may not be the best, but i will be some day...
keyStorm
Profile Joined August 2010
Canada316 Posts
Last Edited: 2011-10-10 03:28:01
October 10 2011 02:27 GMT
#1800
15.Re1
Prev 1 88 89 90 91 92 140 Next
Please log in or register to reply.
Live Events Refresh
Replay Cast
08:00
Continental Nation League S1
Liquipedia
[ Submit Event ]
Live Streams
Refresh
StarCraft 2
RuFF_SC2 234
NeuroSwarm 207
ProTech126
StarCraft: Brood War
Britney 21180
Dewaltoss 142
Bale 45
Noble 10
Icarus 6
Other Games
summit1g12667
JimRising 785
Sick126
Organizations
Other Games
gamesdonequick1266
Dota 2
PGL Dota 2 - Main Stream40
[ Show 14 non-featured ]
StarCraft 2
• practicex 25
• Letter148
• AfreecaTV YouTube
• intothetv
• Kozan
• IndyKCrew
• Migwel
StarCraft: Brood War
• Pr0nogo 3
• BSLYoutube
• STPLYoutube
• ZZZeroYoutube
Dota 2
• lizZardDota2108
League of Legends
• Lourlo1169
• Rush756
Upcoming Events
Afreeca Starleague
5h 8m
Rush vs Light
WardiTV Weekly
6h 8m
Monday Night Weeklies
11h 8m
Replay Cast
18h 8m
Afreeca Starleague
1d 5h
Soma vs Soulkey
INu's Battles
1d 6h
SHIN vs Cure
ByuN vs Zoun
PiGosaur Cup
1d 19h
The PondCast
3 days
INu's Battles
3 days
Replay Cast
4 days
[ Show More ]
BSL: Ladder Tournament
5 days
Sparkling Tuna Cup
6 days
Patches Events
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
BSL Open Qualifier
6 days
Liquipedia Results

Completed

CSL 2026 AUTUMN (S22)
Blizzard Classic Cup 2026
Copium Cup

Ongoing

ASL Season 22
Super Anchor Qualifying S3
Acropolis #5
Acropolis #5 - GSB
ESL Pro League Season 24
Stake Ranked Episode 4
1win Private Club #1
Logitech G Play Connect 2026
SL StarSeries Fall 2026
FISSURE Playground #3
BLAST Open Fall 2026
Esports World Cup 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer 2026
BLAST Bounty Summer Qual

Upcoming

Acropolis #5 - GSC
BSL Season 23
SC4ALL II: Brood War
BSL 23: Non-Korean Championship
HSC XXX
Stellar Fest 2: Lunar Cup
SC4ALL II: StarCraft II
Kung Fu Cup 2026 Grand Finals
RSL Offline Finals
eXTREMESLAND 2026
PGL Major Singapore 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 6
BLAST Rivals Fall 2026
IEM Beijing 2026
Stake Ranked Episode 5
PGL Masters Bucharest 2026
1win Private Club #2
Thunderpick World Champ. '26
TLPD

1. ByuN
2. TY
3. Dark
4. Solar
5. Stats
6. Nerchio
7. sOs
8. soO
9. INnoVation
10. Elazer
1. Rain
2. Flash
3. EffOrt
4. Last
5. Bisu
6. Soulkey
7. Mini
8. Sharp
Sidebar Settings...

Advertising | Privacy Policy | Terms Of Use | Contact Us

Original banner artwork: Jim Warren
The contents of this webpage are copyright © 2026 TLnet. All Rights Reserved.